A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

In Zoomies's world, you have have P4 3.4 Extreme's with 2 gigs of ram to run this on never mind the fact that the save game files are right on the borderline of being able to send them through the email systems out there, but of course Zoomie the "programmer" doesn't think about such practical matters because he is just that, a programmer.

Thats why the have designers and architects that instruct the programmers on what to do ... they are too busy staring at the trees they miss out on the forest. [;)]

And here is where you continue to display that you have NO IDEA about software design or ANYTHING I have ever stated concering possible future design suggestions that I or others with similar ideas have made. I have already generated SEVERAL design prototypes that handle MORE data, faster, with more design flexibility that run on computers with HALF the computing resources WitP's minimum spec have!!

Now read VERY......CAREFULLY..... WitP's 200MB RAM usage and 100% CPU utilization rates probably have VERY LITTLE to do with data manipulation. The entire database of WitP could fit into a 2-3MB memory cache, if that. It is the OTHER stuff that eats all the resources. I provided two REAL WORLD examples that can prove that. Data processing, transaction processing, is typically a very low memory and cpu intensive operation, by nature, unless all cached into memory, and even then, not that intensive. CPU intensive processing are processes like extensive floating point operations such as you find in high quality graphics rendering, not simple intergral based number crunching something like WitP does.

What Fraggo won't tell you, is I've actually seen GG code from 1983 Apple IIc games through PACWAR and WIR. I know EXACTLY HOW he does what he does. And from what those who work with him say all the time, he still pretty much does things the same way today. SO yes. I KNOW, in a general sense, HOW WitP tends to work under the covers, regardless of what this beta tester tells you. And yes, it uses a LOT of hard coded data, integer basedd fixed array data storage, written in old-style 'C' procedural techinique, and YES, that is the ROOT cause for a lot of difficulty in dealing with some of the user wishes, REGARDLESS of this beta tester THINKS he knows about anything.

And to Fraggo, I haven't written a line of source code much in over three years. I am a design engineer by trade that stays up on the latest in application programming techniques. My main tool at work is Visio and UML and ERD diagrams, not the VS IDE.. If I code much, it's as a hobby these days....
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: Arnir

Has anyone considered opening a game design issue thread here or in the General area to discuss these things? While a lot of this is (or maybe fascinating) I'm not sure if it always help address the threads in question in a constructive way.

ZOOMIE1980 and Mr. Frag, y'all really need to just ignore each other or fight a duel. [;)]

Been after Matrix to start a techie thread, but they never do. But plenty good ones out there. One was linked above. Seems like a very good one. Also a few good mailing lists on gnu.org. I've actually got some interest from a few in openning a turn based wargame development project under SourceForge.
User avatar
Caltone
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by Caltone »

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

And I have stated otherwise where, exactly? Provide quote/link, please.

How about this one?

But GG is NOT a modern programmer, period. When he does do it he still still stuck in the hard coded, fixed array base, procedural world of 640K DOS. He wouldn't know an object from and elbow or C++ from Ada from Modula2 from Fortran, and forget any notion concerning modern techniques like the Standard Template Library, containers, counted "referenced" pointers, inheritance, polymorhpism, encapsulation, relational data modeling, data mining, etc.... He simply has never kept up. He might have been respectible at one time, his Apple IIc code was actually pretty clever at the time, but what was clever and cutting edge in 1989 has no relevance today.

Or maybe this one?

The hardest thing I do in my career is trying to keep up. Out of 40 hr work week, simply keeping up takes 25% of it. I don't think Mr Grigsby has ever bothered to keep up with that part of his skill set at all. And it shows, rather blatanty, in this latest title...

Well this one is nice too:

Which is his biggest problem. I have a LOT of GG's old source code from his games. Let's just say this, he'd never get a job offer here as a programmer....
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
Whether someone want to listen to constructive criticism is personal choice. As you stated, the actual programmers never post here and doubt they even have the time to read here very much. I'm personally, ALWAYS open to criticism of my work and designs. We have a robust code and design review process in this company that is EXACTLY what this is. Others doing nothing but poking holes in everything you do and offerring suggestions for improvement. Good development doesn't happen in a vacuum of group-think. Welcome to an INDUSTRY STANDARD pracitce in most commercial software shops. And believe it or not, these guys, DO listen and DO change! A LOT!

Sounds like you guys have a jolly good ole time where you work. Must be nice to have a big shop. Guess what, most of us don't. 2by3 live in different cities for chrissakes. This game was programmed out of people's house's all the while changing diapers, yelling at the kids, yelling at the dog, answering the phone, cleaning house, etc. Matrix and 2by3 are not some huge corporate monsters with large budgets and fancy offices. These guys aren't getting rich on this. You realize they will probably sell around 10K-20K copies of this when its all said and done right? Let's put it this way, they ain't all driving Ferraris, eating caviar out of both hands, and washing it down with Dom Perignom. More like driving beaters, eating Chicken of the Sea, and washing it down with Mountain Dew.
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
Absolutely YES! There are quite number of posters that, indeed DO like to know WHY something are not easily doable. If it results in a constructive criticsim of techniques used in the development process maybe it will result in some reconsideration of basic design choices on the next title. And I'm not the only one who is critical of the underlieing design of this game. People have been critical of GG's programming style for over 10 years. Some of them even work for Matrix! If you doubt that, you haven't been around these forums very long.

I re registered in Sep '01 and have been around here since the start. If your handle is a clue, I'm 20 years older than you and have played PC wargames since my C64. First language I ever learned was COBOL. We used punch cards.
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
Yea, like posting, interactively, to spirited threads without getting defensive about whatever you consider your "baby". One of the consistant criticisms the Matrix staff gets, in general, is how defensive they often get about a lot of things. Seems like that applies to some posters as well. If one can't take constructive criticism, tough, that's a personal problem, get over it.

If you don't get defensive over your app's then I find it hard to believe you're a coder. Additionally has stated before, they don't post a lot, never have. You'll see Joel and Keith from time to time, but Gary never. Let the man have his privacy, hell let them all have it.

Oh, and telling someone they can't get a job because they have archaic skills or outdated practices is rude friend, its not constructive. And who are you to define what skills they need? As its been stated before, these guys have a wargaming resume, you do not. Nothing succeeds like success. They have produced games that countless fans enjoy from around the world. You on the other hand have produced some questionable caliber threads on THIER boards and claims of super secret work in the DOD. That and 10 dollars will buy you a coffee at Starbucks.
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

And I have stated otherwise where, exactly? Provide quote/link, please.

How about this one?

But GG is NOT a modern programmer, period. When he does do it he still still stuck in the hard coded, fixed array base, procedural world of 640K DOS. He wouldn't know an object from and elbow or C++ from Ada from Modula2 from Fortran, and forget any notion concerning modern techniques like the Standard Template Library, containers, counted "referenced" pointers, inheritance, polymorhpism, encapsulation, relational data modeling, data mining, etc.... He simply has never kept up. He might have been respectible at one time, his Apple IIc code was actually pretty clever at the time, but what was clever and cutting edge in 1989 has no relevance today.

Or maybe this one?

The hardest thing I do in my career is trying to keep up. Out of 40 hr work week, simply keeping up takes 25% of it. I don't think Mr Grigsby has ever bothered to keep up with that part of his skill set at all. And it shows, rather blatanty, in this latest title...

Well this one is nice too:

Which is his biggest problem. I have a LOT of GG's old source code from his games. Let's just say this, he'd never get a job offer here as a programmer....

And that has exactly WHAT to do with the Price of Rice in China? In otherwords that has WHAT to do with the quality of Matrix game titles in general? I have done nothing but praise the quality of the stuff I have bought here, and that GG has produced. Just because I find a LOT of fault with his developent methods does not in ANY detract from enjoyment of the end result. I buy almost NOTHING that does not have GG in the credits list.

Sounds like you guys have a jolly good ole time where you work. Must be nice to have a big shop. Guess what, most of us don't. 2by3 live in different cities for chrissakes. This game was programmed out of people's house's all the while changing diapers, yelling at the kids, yelling at the dog, answering the phone, cleaning house, etc. Matrix and 2by3 are not some huge corporate monsters with large budgets and fancy offices. These guys aren't getting rich on this. You realize they will probably sell around 10K-20K copies of this when its all said and done right? Let's put it this way, they ain't all driving Ferraris, eating caviar out of both hands, and washing it down with Dom Perignom. More like driving beaters, eating Chicken of the Sea, and washing it down with Mountain Dew.

Ahh. the old poor-mouth approach. Once again, criticism of design decisions made early on have exactly WHAT to do with personal life-style choice, or choice of work environment again? This entire rant is completely pointless and has nothing to do with anything as far as I can tell? What drinking Mtn Dew have to do with making questionable design decisions? I reserve the right to question anything about a game, including it's underlieing design, and when answered, reserve the right to comment and suggest. People do it to me all the time, and I don't take it personally. Nor should you, or anyone else.

I re registered in Sep '01 and have been around here since the start. If your handle is a clue, I'm 20 years older than you and have played PC wargames since my C64. First language I ever learned was COBOL. We used punch cards.

I'm 47 years old. Played my first games on a Kaypro kit I built myself. Played my forst GG title on an Apple IIC in 1984. I've been a professional programmer and software developer for DOD and the Private sector now for about 20 years. Been a project manager/design engineer now for over 10. I'm one of the original programmers/designers of the wxWidgets cross-platform toolkit and helped, as a contractor, write some of the original MFC codebase from Microsoft. I've actually written turn base wargame excercises for the Pentagon. Been there, done that, for a LOOONNNGGGG time.

As a side light, did anyone realize that one of the seed ideas for Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising was GG's North Atlantic '86 game? Thought some might find that tidbit, interesting....
If you don't get defensive over your app's then I find it hard to believe you're a coder. Additionally has stated before, they don't post a lot, never have. You'll see Joel and Keith from time to time, but Gary never. Let the man have his privacy, hell let them all have it.

And I'm impinging on their privacy just how, again? This is a PUBLIC forum, in case you have forgotten. Am I hacking into their private email or computers to post clandestine messages to them on their computers? They don't read here very much because they are mostly too busy getting their work done, I presume.
Oh, and telling someone they can't get a job because they have archaic skills or outdated practices is rude friend, its not constructive. And who are you to define what skills they need? As its been stated before, these guys have a wargaming resume, you do not. Nothing succeeds like success. They have produced games that countless fans enjoy from around the world. You on the other hand have produced some questionable caliber threads on THIER boards and claims of super secret work in the DOD. That and 10 dollars will buy you a coffee at Starbucks.

I "told" GG that? Since when? Does he read the forum? Does he post to the forum? Did I respond to a post he made? I have conversed with him, though, many, many years ago in the past. I DO know how he programs, though. And I DO know the job market today. Not a lot of possiblities for a person with his skills these days. No, I'm not a game programmer because, as a rule, they don't make much money and my lifestyle requires, unfortunately for me, a LOT of that, especially now. But I see a lot possiblities in this genre that aren't pursued because of the economic realities of those in the business. It's kind of hard to "self-actualize" when you struggling to just eat.... I can appreciate that.

Someone, somewhere along the line, will indeed embrace new techniques of wargaming development. It's not so much that what we've seen lacks quality, its more of what could be IF better underlieing techniques were employed and what MIGHT be possible, WHEN it happens.

But back to the main thread.....removing hard coded A/C upgrades from the game is a DESIGN level issue from what we are told, and not likely to be "fixed" any time soon. The rest is more of a WHY it MAY be that way. And posted because some wargamers have grown tired of game producers simply feeding people "we can't becasue God made it that way". Some of us want to know "what way did God make it?" so we can plead our case for why "God should reconsider the next time around".
User avatar
Caltone
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by Caltone »

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
GoofTrooper
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:35 pm
Location: USA

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by GoofTrooper »

To answer the question of the poster, the A6me doesn't upgrade to the A6m3 for historical reasons, as already stated. IIRC the A6m3 was a shorter ranged (and higher speed) land based version. It was used on CVLs as they weren't inteneded for CV vs CV fights which didn't require the range for escort missions and hit was faster making it a better choice for CAP.

GoofTrooper
Image
User avatar
PeteG662
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:01 pm

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by PeteG662 »

Getting back to the original question...since it is hard coded to upgrade only to a M5 and the M5 not available for the scenario try the workaround of disbanding the group into another group with an M3 upgrade path if you truly wants M3s. This is a similar problem to the B-18 Bolo issue when we first got the game out and the upgrade paths of some groups there.
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Getting back to the original question...since it is hard coded to upgrade only to a M5 and the M5 not available for the scenario try the workaround of disbanding the group into another group with an M3 upgrade path if you truly wants M3s. This is a similar problem to the B-18 Bolo issue when we first got the game out and the upgrade paths of some groups there.

Can you cover that one again? I assume that's the Bolo wanting to upgrade to B-17C's but no B-17C's are in the pool or being made, and the B-17C units I had got destroyed on Clark.... I assume you mean disbanding it into a B-18 unit that upgrade to a B-25????
Drongo
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:03 pm
Location: Melb. Oztralia

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by Drongo »

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Getting back to the original question...since it is hard coded to upgrade only to a M5 and the M5 not available for the scenario try the workaround of disbanding the group into another group with an M3 upgrade path if you truly wants M3s. This is a similar problem to the B-18 Bolo issue when we first got the game out and the upgrade paths of some groups there.

IIRC, there are no air units with an upgrade path to the A6M3 (not in scen 15 anyway).
Have no fear,
drink more beer.
User avatar
PeteG662
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:01 pm

RE: A6M2 cant upgrade to A6M3?

Post by PeteG662 »

The B-18 thing is under a separate thread on here somewhere now.....just a minor workaround in regards to the different upgrade paths and how to upgrade some of the more obscure paths into something usable.

In regards to this post, the original poster wanted to know why he couldn't upgrade a group of M2s to anything other than M5s which were not in the scenario! The upgrade path for the scenario was his problem. Just expressing the workaround like the B-18 to see if he could work that into his M2 upgrade plan.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”