THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Dixie




You're still in Nebraska?

Indeed. And apparently staying here for at least a year , maybe even two. (I'm happy anywhere , as long as I don't have to move. I really hope my next move is my last one). [:D]

I almost considered volunteering for the RAF Rivet Joint fleet, which would have meant some time out your way for training. But the thought of spending that much time in a larger, duller version of Lincolnshire put me off [:D]

The base is certainly loaded with your countrymen. (As well as other allied nations, including Australia,Canada,and surprisingly Denmark). Along with Rivet Joint , they are here for STRATCOM , Open skies, and a bunch of Liason positions. And they all generally seem to like it here (to our great surprise). A friend of mine , an RAAF type just was sent home after two tours here and was begging for more! [&:][X(][:D]
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by AW1Steve »

I'm glad I caught my own miss-spelling before T caught me. He'd have some clever comment about "gerbally", vice generally. [8|]
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I'm glad I caught my own miss-spelling before T caught me. He'd have some clever comment about "gerbally", vice generally. [8|]

He would not be the only one to say something about "gerbally". [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

The official word around the squadron is that I have a new job from this summer [8D]

Image

So cool that you will be fixing up the very same aircraft that Ben Affleck made famous!
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Speaking of moving (My sympathies to Mr and Mrs Dixie) , I've found out I'm not (YEAH!!!!). So if anyone thinks they may be in a mood for an airshow in late August (24-26) , I'm willing to host the 2nd (annual?) "Beef,beer and Bombers" WITP summit. Any intrest? [&:]
Sounds like fun, and I'd heartily endorse Steve and Lou's hospitality and home cookin'. They're great hosts.

My travel plans for the next few months include Cozumel, San Diego and-later-San Antonio. Nebraska-in all its loveliness-will not be on the agenda this year, Steve-o. Hope you have a great reunion, of course.

Glad to hear that you won't be moving this year too. This gives you another year to unpack your boxes of books before having to repack them. [:D]
Image
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

Home cooking....whats that?
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

my idea of "Home Cooking" is a Swanson TV Dinner.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

Yummers!
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Nikademus »

can't beat it
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

LOG!

Post by Nikademus »

mmm
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

LOG!

Post by Nikademus »

Image Image Image
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: Dixie

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve




Indeed. And apparently staying here for at least a year , maybe even two. (I'm happy anywhere , as long as I don't have to move. I really hope my next move is my last one). [:D]

I almost considered volunteering for the RAF Rivet Joint fleet, which would have meant some time out your way for training. But the thought of spending that much time in a larger, duller version of Lincolnshire put me off [:D]

The base is certainly loaded with your countrymen. (As well as other allied nations, including Australia,Canada,and surprisingly Denmark). Along with Rivet Joint , they are here for STRATCOM , Open skies, and a bunch of Liason positions. And they all generally seem to like it here (to our great surprise). A friend of mine , an RAAF type just was sent home after two tours here and was begging for more! [&:][X(][:D]

Why is this a surprise?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

LOG!

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Why is this a surprise?

Because you Danishmen are always cracking your skulls on solid objects. [:)]
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

THE THREAD!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Why is this a surprise?

Because you Danishmen are always cracking your skulls on solid objects. [:)]

And the solid objects always lose those fights.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: Dixie




I almost considered volunteering for the RAF Rivet Joint fleet, which would have meant some time out your way for training. But the thought of spending that much time in a larger, duller version of Lincolnshire put me off [:D]

The base is certainly loaded with your countrymen. (As well as other allied nations, including Australia,Canada,and surprisingly Denmark). Along with Rivet Joint , they are here for STRATCOM , Open skies, and a bunch of Liason positions. And they all generally seem to like it here (to our great surprise). A friend of mine , an RAAF type just was sent home after two tours here and was begging for more! [&:][X(][:D]

Why is this a surprise?

In my experince Dannish liason officers are quite rare outside of Europe. I've seen them in the Pentagon, and at various activities in the DC area. I wouldn't be too surprised to see one at Norfolk or even San Diego. Nebraska is an unexpected place to me, and especially STRATCOM.

Maybe after the couple of nuclear accident at Thule in the sixties Denmark wants to keep an eye on our nuclear forces? [:D] At any event I meant no disrespect , I simply didn't expect to see a Dannish liason to STRATCOM.Especially since there aren't any from other European countries. EUROCOM, absolutely. As I said, Dannish liason officers are a fairly rare bird .

On the other hand , he shouldn't be all that homesick. A great many immigrants who settled this area were Dannish , there are a lot of Dannish-American socieites here , some small towns have festivals celebrating their heritage and there is even a tourist attraction small town here that's set up as a Dannish village/museum.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

A lot of the Danish immigrants stopped when they got to Nebraska and Utah and places like that.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

A lot of the Danish immigrants stopped when they got to Nebraska and Utah and places like that.

Probably just got bored of trekking across the wilderness and figured it didn't get any better...
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve



The base is certainly loaded with your countrymen. (As well as other allied nations, including Australia,Canada,and surprisingly Denmark). Along with Rivet Joint , they are here for STRATCOM , Open skies, and a bunch of Liason positions. And they all generally seem to like it here (to our great surprise). A friend of mine , an RAAF type just was sent home after two tours here and was begging for more! [&:][X(][:D]

Why is this a surprise?

In my experince Dannish liason officers are quite rare outside of Europe. I've seen them in the Pentagon, and at various activities in the DC area. I wouldn't be too surprised to see one at Norfolk or even San Diego. Nebraska is an unexpected place to me, and especially STRATCOM.

Maybe after the couple of nuclear accident at Thule in the sixties Denmark wants to keep an eye on our nuclear forces? [:D] At any event I meant no disrespect , I simply didn't expect to see a Dannish liason to STRATCOM.Especially since there aren't any from other European countries. EUROCOM, absolutely. As I said, Dannish liason officers are a fairly rare bird .

I've seen a few Danes come through Brize on their way out, or back, to a certain Asian country. Also seen a couple of Danish Hercs taking guys home.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Danish military personnel are everywhere.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

A lot of the Danish immigrants stopped when they got to Nebraska and Utah and places like that.

Ran out of money before they got to the west coast? [:D]

Sorry , couldn't resist![:D] But it seems like that where ever I go in the USA there is always pockets of people grouped together in the oddest places. Norwegians in Poulsboro WA (Which does look like a Fjiord to me), Russians in Richmond Maine, Germans in Bismark ND (who I know were recruited by the rail road companies). Some groups make sense (like Irish in NYC and Boston) or Swedes in Minnestoa or Poles in Chicago. But it's the odd little location that get you. Like Italians settling in West Virgina or central Maine. (Apparently drawn to quarries as stone cutters) . So it's always a surprise to find and ethnic group in some out of the way locality. I suppose that you go where the opportunity is , and you like to stay with the culture you are familar with.

But I am greatful to the immigrants to this area, as I can find Dannish,Lithauanian and Check bakeries, a polish butcher and a Russian importer. Who would have expected it? But I'm happy , even if my waist line protests! [:D] Now if I could find a REAL British Pub! It will go great with that French woman who just emigrated and opened a Boulagrie![:D]
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”