From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Look....a dandelion!

Post by Cap Mandrake »

OK..I promised VSWG an update on the Homeowner's Assn. battle. They have proven an implaccable foe. Just to review, some low-born, bottom-feeding neighbor of mine turned me in for not maintaining the front yard. The skulking SOB was partly right, I wasn't maintaining it..in fact, I was actively trying to kill it. Anyway, the Homeowner's Assn (hereafter called "HA") sends me a letter mandating that I fix the problem I was already working on. Through great humanitarian effort, I manage subvert the urge to dump a bunch of those ugly white ornamental rocks all over the yard just to put a bug up their ***, and instead, continue my original plan. I cut up all the old sod (two Saturday's worth of work including a crew of 4), rototill the whole thing and bring in about 100 bags of composted steer manure, pull up about a zillion tree roots from a Jacaranda tree and 30 ft Canary Island Pine I had previously pulled out, then level the whole thing so it looked like a freakin' Zen garden (this took me and another crew about a day). At his point, I think I was about 3 weeks out form the letter and the sod is ordered for the next weekend. On a Tuesday morning, I am in my study, cranking out a WITP turn and a late model white Honda pulls up in front. There is a young woman inside with a clipboard. Hmmmm? Franchise Tax Board? No, I think they went away for a while. IRS? No, they seem to be happy to get about 35% of what I earn, at least for now. FBI? No, they wouldn't be driving a Honda (I actually had the FBI come knocking on my door about 3 weeks ago but that is another story). Homeland Security? Nah, surely they know I just signed up for that Islamic site just to yank the other posters chains? Besides, they would have a "E" plate. How about a paparazzo? Hello. I may just be onto something. Clipboard? Check! Camera? Check! Attractive young woman with low cut top? Check! Check! [X(] Oh, wait. I'm not famous.
Sure, I was disappointed, but by deduction, I knew it had to be someone from the HA come to check on my "compliance" (appropriately, this is the same term the police use when describing painful positions they put a suspect in to get them to do what they want). I head to the door to give her a wave and show her the beautiful Zen garden. As soon as I step outside, she slams the car into gear and pulls away as if I were wearing a Jason mask and carrying a chainsaw dripping with human blood. Oh well, no harm, surely she can see the effort. Three days later, the day before my sod arrives, I get a letter from the HA addressed to "Mandrake Residence". Here, I have to admit, despite years of tutoring, my house has not learned to talk and isn't even remotely close to being able to read. So, I decide to open the letter and read it aloud so the "residence" can hear.

"Attention Homeowner" (oh, maybe they want to talk to me too)

"As you have not complied with our previous order to repair damaged front yard landscaping, a hearing has been scheduled with the Architectural Compliance and Digital Rectal Exam Committee for Thursday, Nov. 15 at 11:30...blah, blah, blah...you may wish to bring legal counsel with you [X(]...blah, blah, blah....

Sincerely,

Eva Braun
Archictectual Compliance Representative"



After I did some deep breathing and "Serenity Now" chanting, I felt better. I called and left a pleasant message, indicating the work was essentially done and if the inspector had deigned to roll down her window instead of retreating in panic from the clearly possessed homeowner, she would scarcely have failed to notice the hard work and the olfactory impact of the work of at least 100 beeves. The next day, I and a crew rolled in a bout 2600 sq ft of sod. It looks fantastic, but got no phone call from the HA. So I called back. This time Miss Braun answered:

"oh, yes, sorry I didn't call back. Everything is fine. Someone from the office went out to check."

"But what about the hearing?"

"Oh, don't worry about that. Its just a formality."

"Perhaps, but you did attach a list of all sorts of terrible punishments. I would liek some type of confirmation that the matter is closed."

"Right, I just gave it to you."

"That is good to hear, but I would like something in writing"

"We don't have it." (this is beginning to sound oddly familiar)

"What do you mean, you dont have it."

"I mean, We don't have it."

"Pardon me? You don't have what?"

"The form for a closed compliance issue. We are out."

"Well, the hearing letter is very intimidating. I would still like something in writing."

"Well, I suppose I could type something up." (I imagine her holding the phone in her neck while she examines her newly painted nails)

"I would appreciate that, thank you (it doesn't do any good to get aggressive at this point..the letter-writing campaign will come after I get the dismissal letter)

I, or more accurately my house, did get another letter from Ms. Braun. Now she is saying she has to come out and inspect again and then present it to the Board of Directors. I think she is purposely trying to torture me, but it could just be I need my medicine adjusted. Clearly I need to start taping phone conversations too. I still need to keep my mouth shut. One poor guy had to write a public apology letter published in the HA newspaper after he cut down an oak tree on his own property without permission. As part of the settlement, he also underwent a castration procedure.


Image
User avatar
VSWG
Posts: 3217
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by VSWG »

[:D]

Wow, this is scary! [X(] We had something similar here in Germany a couple of decades ago... these guys were called "Blockwart"... [;)] But I gather from the name of the "Architectural Compliance Representative" that you've already made that connection.

Pleasant neighborhood, really. [8|] May I suggest a Berlin Wall style fence around your garden?
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake


As part of the settlement, he also underwent a castration procedure.

The worst part is, Eva Braun performed the procedure with her Honda.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by Cap Mandrake »

That's it! Blockwart There must be a secret blockwart in the neighborhood. Maybe its the couple who moved in up the street....yeah..that's it. I bet they turned me in for not having licenses for my Labradors too....<crouches down..begins to look furtively from side to side>

Apparently the Emperor is tired of all the fun and games in the PI. There are 5 Divisions ready to flatten Manila [X(]

Image
Attachments
PI1.jpg
PI1.jpg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by rtrapasso »

This is one reason i refused to even consider anything in a Housing Association when i moved...
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by DuckofTindalos »

You prefer The Money Pit(tm)...[:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You prefer The Money Pit(tm)...[:'(]


Well, at least with the Money Pit, i don't have to get permission to fix the property (HAA: "New roof - we'll consider it. The next opening on our agenda is in 3 months!") ... or cut down a diseased tree... or plant a tree... nor do i get nasty letters if i park my car in the driveway... etc., etc.

i had one experience with a Homeowner's Association, which forbid me to build a fence despite the fact that 3/5 adjoining houses had fences (but they were in a different HAA). This necessitated keeping the dogs in the house for 3 1/2 years except when i got to take them out on a leash... [8|]

They are evil, Evil, EVIL!!! (just my opinion)
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Look....a dandelion!

Post by witpqs »

In my opinion you're being too kind toward homeowners associations.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Operation Blockwarden

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Operation Blockwarden. That is what I have decided to call it. Based on VSWG's tip, I have decided to discover the identity of the scurrilous Blockwart that has been tormenting me. I might have called it Operation Blockwart, but should the name leak out, it would be too transparent. I am afraid I will have to ask for a vow of secrecy from all of you. Anyone who feels they cannot keep such a vow, please stop reading now. We don't want any innocents getting hurt, do we?

Very good! That such a dastardly creature exists, I now have now doubt. There is the business of the secret report to the HA about the landscaping, but that is not the whole story. There is the time I didn't put the trash cans away till Tuesday and received a "friendly reminder". Then there is that sordid affair about the tardy Christmas lighting. Even worse, only last night, I discovered that the Architectural Compliance Coordiantor shares a famous name with a high ranking member of the "organization". Fair enough. It is decided. The operation is on. But where to start? My first suspicion falls on my neighbor to the North. He is the only one who inquired about the landscape.

"Cap., why did you stop watering your lawn?", he asked one day. I tried to explain about the invasive grasses, the herbicide, the rabbits, the gophers, but he just shook his head and said, "Boy, it will sure look better when you get done." This is the same chap who "accidentally" built his new mailbox on my side of the property line after I expalined to him my wishes. This, after I didn't complain when he parked a port-a-potty on my Lantana for 4 months when he was remodeling. There is more too. There is the, all too neat cover story. The rise to success starting with reselling used tires in Barstow. The country music collection. The Vietnamese wife. Well at least she SAYS she is Vietnamese, but how do I really know? After all, how long would it take to learn about dim sum? There is that business about the trip to "Belgium" for in vitro fertilization before the twins were born. That always seemed odd to me. After all, who goes to Belgium for medical care? Maybe he was contacting his "handler". Then there is that time his hair went from black to white overnight. Very odd. I went to his 65th birthday party. How old is he REALLY? He might even have been born before the bunker fell in Berlin. I thought to myself,"am I being fair or am I just envious of his impressive new stone mailbox?" I even talked to my therapist about it. He told me he had never heard of "mailbox envy" and that I needed to "resolve this crisis". Well, damnit, that is exactly what I am going to do!

The next morning, I waited in ambush behind the arbour, hoping to catch him unawares when he stopped to pick up his morning paper on the way to work. That reminds me of something. After I complained about liberal bias in the LA Times one day, he told he thought it was too CONSERVATIVE! Oh please. Who is he kidding? That pretty much ices it. Some handler in a hidden Bavarian lair must have programmed him to say that for deep background. Well, they went too far this time. No true American could seriously believe that. Anyway, back to the story. So I'm hiding behind the arbour, my heart beating in my throat. Does he carry a weapon? Surely there would be training in martial arts. What about that time he knocked me on my butt when we were playing basketball? Was that a judo move? And a two-hand jump shot? Who does that anymore? I can imagine a handler whose knowledge of basketball came from watching a captured Son of Flubber film, shouting "das ist goot..two hands"! What if I break his cover and he reacts violently? ......HERE HE COMES! I begin walking toward his car, pretending to be working on the sprinklers. THIS IS IT! My senses are tuned to perfection. Time seems to slow. A woodpecker pounds at a roof shingle 2 blocks away, a rabbit scurries for cover on my extreme left...lub dub..lub dub..lub dub. I can hear my heart beating in my ears. HE HAS SEEN ME! A hand comes from his hip pocket. A GUN..ITS A GUN! ...Oh, no..he is waving. "Get a hold of yourself", I say to myself. "Now...say it now!" I have practice the phrase over and over. "Now...say it now..you are going to ruin it!..say it now..this is the moment!"

"Guter Tagesnachbar!", I shout.

Perfect! I wait for sign of recogniton or a carelss response. One second..two seconds..three seconds...then a quizical look. "Come again?", he says.

DAMNIT! "Come again?" What kind of answer is that? DAMNIT! Its not him! I relaize I need to answer. "Nice weather", I say lamely.

"Yes, yes it is", he replies. "The sod looks great". He closes the door and disappears behind smoked glass.

Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! How could I have been so wrong? All that work and preparation. Wait a minute. A secret blockwart would be trained to not respond in his native language, wouldn't he? Of course he would pretend to not speak German. What was I thinking? The bastard understood exactly what I said. Why, he is probalby calling his handler right now on a secure line hidden behind the ash tray. Hell, there may even be pairs of eyes trained on me this very second! I need to be calm. Don't look around, just finish with the sprinkler adjustment. Relax. No liquidation order couold come so quickly. Look natural. Tomorrow, I will try to trip him up with baseball trivia questions. Lets see if he knows what a "Texas leaguer" is. No way some programmer could find that kind of detail in an old Disney film. As I stand from the sprinkler adjustment to head back inside a new sense comes to the fore, olfaction. I look down. A sticky brown substance adheres to the sole and side of my shoe. DAMNIT! I just put this God Damned sod in! Couldn't they wait a few days?
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Operation Blockwarden

Post by rtrapasso »

Don't take any chances - best notify the FBI there is "an enemy combatant" living next door... (next stop: Gitmo...) [X(] [:'(]
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Water Taxi

Post by Cap Mandrake »

*07:20, March 1..HMS Royal Sovereign, making 18 kts, heading ENE, 50nm N of Ceylon*

Capt Hunt, skipper of HMS Royal Sovereign, flagship of the Bay of Bengal Surface Force: Ah, it is marvelous to be at sea again! Those damnable Jap carriers! <to those assembled on the bridge> Where is Admiral Spooner? Surely he wants to see this?.....


**07:26, March 1...Eastern Fleet HQ, Colombo**

Adm. Spooner: WHAT!?!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY LEFT? WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY WAKE ME? <swoons>
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Water Taxi

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

*07:20, March 1..HMS Royal Sovereign, making 18 kts, heading ENE, 50nm N of Ceylon*

Capt Hunt, skipper of HMS Royal Sovereign, flagship of the Bay of Bengal Surface Force: Ah, it is marvelous to be at sea again! Those damnable Jap carriers! <to those assembled on the bridge> Where is Admiral Spooner? Surely he wants to see this?.....


**07:26, March 1...Eastern Fleet HQ, Colombo**

Adm. Spooner: WHAT!?!? WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY LEFT? WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY WAKE ME? <swoons>

talk about missing the boat... [8|] [:D]

Did you forget to click on something, or did the game mess up??
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Found..one stray..answers to Ryujo or Zuiho

Post by Cap Mandrake »

..

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Hap...not Arnold

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

talk about missing the boat... [8|] [:D]

Did you forget to click on something, or did the game mess up??


I did it, when I accidentally sent a file to the cornfield and had to redo part of the turn. The sequence of events that one little mistake set in motion is remarkable.



*****Eastern Fleet HQ, Colombo, March 4, 1942***********

<A large conference room with a beautiful rosewood conference table, around which are seated a dozen RN officers of various rank. In front, Adm Phillips with an easel and a 2x3 ft pad of paper popular for board meetings. A meticulously polished brass plaque hangs on the wall. It says "1st Place, Royal Navy Management Competition, Scapa Flow, June 12, 1937". In walks Adm Palliser. They confer provately>

Palliser: Sir, Capt. Hunt showed up at Candpur at 04:00 today with 12 Royal Navy ships in tow.

Phillips: Chandpur? What is he doing there? Did he meet the enemy?

Palliser: No sir. He reports he had a "bad feeling" and he decided to retire to Chandpur.

Phillips: Bad feeling? Didn't he hear about the Ryujo report? Save for a few APD's, we aren't finding any enemy ships in the Bay of Bengal. This is the time to strike! Rangoon airfield is a wreck and has been evacuated thanks to the USAAF. Moulemien, same fate. The heavies are set to hit Tavoy today. I was looking forward to seeing what 3 Royal Sovereign class could do to those Jap ships in harbour at Rangoon. What happened to Spooner? Has he caught up with them yet?

Palliser: No sir, he is aboard Palenham, burning through fuel oil at a prodigious rate trying to join them.

Phillips: And the alarm clock? Did he recieve the alarm clock I ordered for him through the new triplicate requisition system? It is quite a clever system. One copy goes to auditing to limit fraud, one to central supply and the third to inventory control who radios a weekly, itemized order to Aden to avoid wasteful warehouse stores here in Colombo.

Palliser: Yes sir, I believe he did receive it..and..if I may, I would say you are a shoe in for '42 Royal Navy Manger of the Year. There is no secret about it. I dare say you may be the highest rated manager of all those officers of any nation arrayed against Japan.

Phillips: Thank you, Phillips. Do we have a flag officer in Chandpur?

Palliser: Yes sir, Admiral Verney.

Phillips: Very well. He will lead the bombardment attack on Rangoon. I need someone with some spine. He is to leave immediately. They cannot make the distance before daybreak but there is no enemy air capability at Rangoon and Moulemein save for transports. With luck, he might even avoid being spotted, given the nasty weather. As planned, he is to bombard the harbour at night, retiring toward Chandpur during the day. Brewsters from Akyab will provide cover.

Palliser: Yes sir. I will see to it.

Phillips: Fine, but do tell him to be careful about submarines and mines, he might encounter some mines at Rangoon. Oh yes, and floating debris. The heavy rains will wash whole forrests of trees down the Irrawaddy. Also, all mayonaise-based salad dressings should be kept below 40 F to avoid Salmonella. Make sure you tell him that. Oh, Palliser, by the way, you have soemthing brown on your nose.

Palliser: Yes sir, I'll be sure to mention that. <salutes and surreptitiously rubs his nose with his sleave..then leaves>

Phillips: <after returning his salute, he turns to the assembled group. Before he speaks, he thinks to himself..'I wonder if I remember to turn of the hot plate before I left my office thsi morning'..breifly, his left eye convulses in a nervous twitch> Right then, let's get back to the Mission Statement for East Asia Fleet, shall we? Any ideas? <moves to the easel>

Officer: How about "England expects every man to do his duty", sir?

Phillips: Nice, nice, but I am keen on a new pardigm shift. Let's think outside the box, shall we?

2nd Officer: How about "Taking on the challenges of mid 20th Century naval warfare with fresh thinking and a commitment to customer service"?

Phillips: Hello....I think we may be onto something......

Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Hap...not Arnold

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

I did it, when I accidentally sent a file to the cornfield and had to redo part of the turn. The sequence of events that one little mistake set in motion is remarkable.[/i]

Couldn't restore it from the Recycle Bin?
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Hap...not Arnold

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Couldn't restore it from the Recycle Bin?

Fortuitously, it was gone, Spooner missed the boat and his replacement, Capt Hunt chickened out, delaying the strike by one day with remarkable consequences.

Image
Attachments
bob1.jpg
bob1.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Hap...not Arnold

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Four days after Spooner missed the boat, leaving a more cautious commander in charge, who then detours to Chandpur, delaying the planned bombardment of Rangoon and, instead, leads to an improbable daytime surface battle between Ramilles and Royal Sovereign for the good guys and Kongo for the bad guys. The Japs give up an evident invasion of Akyab or Chandpur after their surface forces are defeated. The Royal Navy also dodges a bullet, getting their licks in before the carriers show up.

Image
Attachments
bob.jpg
bob.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

82???...that is freakin' awesome, dude!

Post by Cap Mandrake »

OK...can anyone name a commander with a higher "Admin. Skill" (82) or lower "Agression" score (25) than Vice Adm Phillips (RN)?&nbsp;

For comparison purposes, a recent university study found an average aggression score for patients with Social Anxiety Disorder to be 32 and for Gregorian monks to be 28.
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Darwin Antipersonel Bomb

Post by Cap Mandrake »

..

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (116.96 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Image
qgaliana
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm

RE: Hap...not Arnold

Post by qgaliana »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Four days after Spooner missed the boat, leaving a more cautious commander in charge, who then detours to Chandpur, delaying the planned bombardment of Rangoon and, instead, leads to an improbable daytime surface battle between Ramilles and Royal Sovereign for the good guys and Kongo for the bad guys. The Japs give up an evident invasion of Akyab or Chandpur after their surface forces are defeated. The Royal Navy also dodges a bullet, getting their licks in before the carriers show up.

One of the reasons I love this game is that, if you can resist the 'replay-the-turn' urge, little snafus like this can give you that weird sensation I get from reading history books and saying "wtf were the odds of that happening?" [:D]
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”