Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Ah, everything's in the shop window, eh? Oh dear, oh dear... You're one screwed Penguinista...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

I'm not screwed yet.......oh, hold on........maybe I am.........bugger...........
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

Faber, keep in mind that the Japanese player will lose. Your job is to make the Allied victory as painful for him as it will be for you. Keep your beak (do penguins have beaks?) up.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Hey, that's meant to be a SURPRISE!!! Now you've spoiled the end of the war for our feathered Thread-Brother...[:-][;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

Doh! *Slaps self in forehead*
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

WHAT..........I'm supposed to LOSE......nobody told ME that.........you mean my nuclear program and all my late war wonder weapons aren't going to do the trick............That IS depressing.............
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

OK so here is a full look at my forces moving to the southern section of Speedy's ne enclave........tothe north is the entire Burma army......perhaps 5000 av......of which I'm moving 1000av to the hex north of the river crossing at Moul.......the rest with defend Pagan and Mandalay.....I'm going to abandon Lashio........

Image
Attachments
troops.jpg
troops.jpg (182.16 KiB) Viewed 224 times
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

This is a very good lesson for the Japanese player. With time, we get a fair number of land reinforcements. We can't (in the CBI theater, at least) afford to send them all to the front line. We have to guard our flanks. Maybe a planned phased withdrawl is appropriate. Not sure since I haven't gotten that far along in my games. At any rate, I think we need to continually evaluate the Allied capability (and our own) and make those hard decisions about abandoning territory due to the lack of ability to adequately defend it. Keep in mind that we also have to weigh the abandoning good airfields to the Allies for their use to bomb resource/oil centers.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

I agree Mike.......but to lose Mandalay is to lose not only Burma.......but probably Malaya as well.......so will try to hold rather than withdraw.......I though I had covered my *ss with 1800 av worth of troops in reserve......but I figure my positioning of my reserve primarily at Bankok....and Saigon......may have been a mistake......also it hadn't occured to me the amount of stuff that Speedy has moved from the West Coast..........I knew he was going to flank.....but not on this scale..........(holds flipper in air) Mei Culpa........
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

That's a good overall lesson, not just for the Jap player. Always guard the flanks, and never send everything forward.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

I agree Mike.......but to lose Mandalay is to lose not only Burma.......but probably Malaya as well.......so will try to hold rather than withdraw.......I though I had covered my *ss with 1800 av worth of troops in reserve......but I figure my positioning of my reserve primarily at Bankok....and Saigon......may have been a mistake......also it hadn't occured to me the amount of stuff that Speedy has moved from the West Coast..........I knew he was going to flank.....but not on this scale..........(holds flipper in air) Mei Culpa........

Yeah. I guess I wasn't very clear. By withdrawl, I meant the front line, not Rangoon/Mandalay. I agree that they are critical. I think your reserve at Bangkok was probably a mistake. There's no way they can get to Burma in time by moving overland. I look at Burma as a separate theater concerning ground units. The only effective way to get ground units there is by sea. You can get stuff there by air but you'll leave your heavy stuff behind. That drives me nuts.

My reserves are usually in Rangoon/ Mandalay or in the interior of Burma on major roads so they can use interior lines to move quickly. I guess I need to move more stuff there for the future. I don't move anything to Burma until I pay the PPs to change them to the Burma Army. That sucks the vast majority of my PPs all the time.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Mike....your right.......I fear I was hoping to use the troops as Strat. Res. for both Buma and Malaya........and in the end have done neither.....a sadly typical bit of penguin wolly thinking.......
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

Squirrels are typically just as bad. They work hard and play hard, but ususlly play more than they work. [:(]


Image
Attachments
squirrel_beer.jpg
squirrel_beer.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Nothing more disturbing than a drunken squirrel... Of course, if he's drinking the product of the Anheuser Busch company, he'll take forever to get hammered...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Of course, if he's drinking the product of the Anheuser Busch company, he'll take forever to get hammered...[:D]

Part of the reason why they spend so much time partying.....
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Ah... Gotya...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

null

Post by Nikademus »

delete..wrong thread. lol.....too much asthma medicine
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: null

Post by Nikademus »

reset button [:)]
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Ouch.........

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Squirrels are typically just as bad. They work hard and play hard, but ususlly play more than they work. [:(]


Image
THat squirrel has poor taste in beer. [:D]
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, but you should see him in action. [:D] My opponents will shortly.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”