Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
I just counted it; it's EXACTLY 15 hexes...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Ouch.........
Penguins everywhere are vindicated................Penguin mathmaticians.............rule...............now if only we could spell......ORIGINAL: Terminus
I just counted it; it's EXACTLY 15 hexes...[:D]
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 25th 1944..................
Speedy split his RN BBs today .....3 bombarding Rangoon.........3 Tavoy....this was the reason for his Carriers going as far south as Georgetown.........just saying to my SAGs to stay off his turf.........SAG 1 and 4 are to return to the HI....anyway......as his land based airpower.....in Burma......has ended their mission there.........
The bombardment on Tavoy was expected....the Rangoon one was a supply killing mission.......supply problems are however easing slightly....everywhere except Mandalay........which refuses to draw supply.......
Lost an AK to Speedy's subs......only one ....so a good day.........
His Marine para's are tidy-ing up all the small Islands off Timor.......I expect this to continue....for the next 2 weeks or so...until his next major move.......SAG -2 remains on station at Balik.......and AAG 3 at Java.......
Speedy split his RN BBs today .....3 bombarding Rangoon.........3 Tavoy....this was the reason for his Carriers going as far south as Georgetown.........just saying to my SAGs to stay off his turf.........SAG 1 and 4 are to return to the HI....anyway......as his land based airpower.....in Burma......has ended their mission there.........
The bombardment on Tavoy was expected....the Rangoon one was a supply killing mission.......supply problems are however easing slightly....everywhere except Mandalay........which refuses to draw supply.......
Lost an AK to Speedy's subs......only one ....so a good day.........
His Marine para's are tidy-ing up all the small Islands off Timor.......I expect this to continue....for the next 2 weeks or so...until his next major move.......SAG -2 remains on station at Balik.......and AAG 3 at Java.......
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 26th 1944............
A blissfully quiet turn.....apart from all the bombings..........and another TK being hit by Speedy's subs.......despite being escorted by a CVE/4DD/6PC/6MSW......and a dedicated ASW TF of 5 mixed ships......and withing 4 hexes of Manila where I have 3 sqdrns of Helens/Sallys on ASW duty........the sub escaped unscathed......the TK is limping to Manila....let's hope she makes it...........
A blissfully quiet turn.....apart from all the bombings..........and another TK being hit by Speedy's subs.......despite being escorted by a CVE/4DD/6PC/6MSW......and a dedicated ASW TF of 5 mixed ships......and withing 4 hexes of Manila where I have 3 sqdrns of Helens/Sallys on ASW duty........the sub escaped unscathed......the TK is limping to Manila....let's hope she makes it...........
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 27th/28th 1944...........
Hiyo was hit by 1 torpedo from a sub off Java..........not much damage apart from 25 flt.........will retire to Balik. for patching up before returning to the HIs for full repair........Kaga will break away from AAG - 3 and join Akagi at Pelau............
Supply continues to be a problem in Burma.......esp. with Speedy now bombarding Rangoon every turn.......at least my shattered units are rebuilding there......the 55th div is up from no AV to around 70...........all other units at Rangoon are also drawing supply and rebuilding.........
Troops at Tavoy are about to be joined by the 48th Div.........when they arrive I'll head north to engage Moul........
7 convoys with over 100,000 supply about 8 days out from Saigon.......
2X amphibious Reg........which should be headed for the Cen. Pac. are to move to Burma for the next 2 months.......by then Burma will have big reinforcements due.....and I can re-route them to their origional destinations.........
Hiyo was hit by 1 torpedo from a sub off Java..........not much damage apart from 25 flt.........will retire to Balik. for patching up before returning to the HIs for full repair........Kaga will break away from AAG - 3 and join Akagi at Pelau............
Supply continues to be a problem in Burma.......esp. with Speedy now bombarding Rangoon every turn.......at least my shattered units are rebuilding there......the 55th div is up from no AV to around 70...........all other units at Rangoon are also drawing supply and rebuilding.........
Troops at Tavoy are about to be joined by the 48th Div.........when they arrive I'll head north to engage Moul........
7 convoys with over 100,000 supply about 8 days out from Saigon.......
2X amphibious Reg........which should be headed for the Cen. Pac. are to move to Burma for the next 2 months.......by then Burma will have big reinforcements due.....and I can re-route them to their origional destinations.........
RE: Ouch.........
Last night........ while sitting in my bleak hotel room........with a lack of turn..........I turned my evil eye to where Speedy may hit next........I thought I'd share my thoughts.......so you can all have a good laugh........
CENPAC..........I think he will go for Einwetok.....bare in mind...I thought he was going for Ein....when he went for Wake........He can easily close it with LRB......in fact he could run the entire invasion covered by land based aircraft....with little fear from my fleet.....leaving him to switch his carriers to other ops........but he does know Ein....is heavily fortified........but at this stage.....all CENPAC Islands......apart from the tiddlers between Truk and Pelau........are fortified.......This is the glamour front........but from my position.......the least worry-ing.........
DEI.........He will move up....I believe.......along the chain of islands to Java....avoiding Sulawesi.......once he captures Bali....then all my southern DEI Res/Oil.....are forvever trapped there.........will move some Amph. Brig'd in......if he has a lot of troops here...this theatre could fold like a pack of cards.......
Burma.........I've stabilised this front.....but supply is a problem........I've changed my mind about engaging the enemy at Moul.......I'm going to split the theatre.....Using my currently useless/but rebuilding units at Rangoon as Theatre reserve for the north....and a little in reserve at Reahang......
To the south...once I've built Tavoy up to level 9 I'll move some of my combat troops back to Singapore....as Gen. Theatre reserve..........I'll try to hold this front 'till summer.......then fall back...when forced....on Bankok.....a ready fortified city with a river........and choose which troops to sacrifice to the defence of Malaya........
I think he has little left in reserve in this threatre.......just enough to take And. Is.............
But I stiil think he has his eye on Sebang.......nice airfileds.....could close Sing............and hard for me to reinforce........he could take some of his troops from Moul. to take it.....I will not be able to reinforce Sebang for at least a month.........
China........I don't see any great change in the statis quo for the next six months.........
NG and the Sols.......an empty shell....in which he has no interest.......and of little value now to either of us apart from points...........
The North.........is heavily fortified.........and he has shown no interest in this Theatre for over a year.........
Which wraps up what is left of my diminishing Empire.......
Now ....what to do about it........
CENPAC..........I think he will go for Einwetok.....bare in mind...I thought he was going for Ein....when he went for Wake........He can easily close it with LRB......in fact he could run the entire invasion covered by land based aircraft....with little fear from my fleet.....leaving him to switch his carriers to other ops........but he does know Ein....is heavily fortified........but at this stage.....all CENPAC Islands......apart from the tiddlers between Truk and Pelau........are fortified.......This is the glamour front........but from my position.......the least worry-ing.........
DEI.........He will move up....I believe.......along the chain of islands to Java....avoiding Sulawesi.......once he captures Bali....then all my southern DEI Res/Oil.....are forvever trapped there.........will move some Amph. Brig'd in......if he has a lot of troops here...this theatre could fold like a pack of cards.......
Burma.........I've stabilised this front.....but supply is a problem........I've changed my mind about engaging the enemy at Moul.......I'm going to split the theatre.....Using my currently useless/but rebuilding units at Rangoon as Theatre reserve for the north....and a little in reserve at Reahang......
To the south...once I've built Tavoy up to level 9 I'll move some of my combat troops back to Singapore....as Gen. Theatre reserve..........I'll try to hold this front 'till summer.......then fall back...when forced....on Bankok.....a ready fortified city with a river........and choose which troops to sacrifice to the defence of Malaya........
I think he has little left in reserve in this threatre.......just enough to take And. Is.............
But I stiil think he has his eye on Sebang.......nice airfileds.....could close Sing............and hard for me to reinforce........he could take some of his troops from Moul. to take it.....I will not be able to reinforce Sebang for at least a month.........
China........I don't see any great change in the statis quo for the next six months.........
NG and the Sols.......an empty shell....in which he has no interest.......and of little value now to either of us apart from points...........
The North.........is heavily fortified.........and he has shown no interest in this Theatre for over a year.........
Which wraps up what is left of my diminishing Empire.......
Now ....what to do about it........
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Ouch.........
That's still a pretty vast empire.
I'm curious that you are more worried about DEI than CENPAC. Are you short on oil? At this late stage of the war are the HI set with reserves or are those a concern? It seems Speedy has the Armada to just steam role right through CenPac, no need for flanking manuevers.
I'm curious that you are more worried about DEI than CENPAC. Are you short on oil? At this late stage of the war are the HI set with reserves or are those a concern? It seems Speedy has the Armada to just steam role right through CenPac, no need for flanking manuevers.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
Niceguy....you may be right.......Speedy's deep incursion past Marcus........shows he knows that there is little I can do to hurt him....The same as his Brit. Carriers moving as far as Georgetown...........
but.....I'm not sure that is Steven's style......he is methodical....plans and then with malice.......exicutes his plan........
I'm not sure he will rush trying to end the war early....with any added risk......he has me pinned on 3 fronts........and will look to hurt me across those.....(I suspect).......accelerating in the back end of '44......
This is only my opinion...having been playing Steven for at least one and a half years...........and as he gains the upper hand(in a big way)......tactics change......
I fear where I feel weakest........the DEI ....is my soft underbelly............and I think he knows it..........and he will need no carrier support to take it..........
As for HI........yes, I've been bad/wasteful even.......I now have enough 75mm field pieces to give to every man/woman/child in the Home Is........so I have burned all my HI on that and aircraft...(anyone like to buy 1200 A6M3As)...(I have 1 sqdrn of 9 aircraft still flying these models).........all my early games.....now have problems coming home to roost......and in this game the large number of TK losses......are hurting more every day..........if you touch oil....for me, it hurts........
but.....I'm not sure that is Steven's style......he is methodical....plans and then with malice.......exicutes his plan........
I'm not sure he will rush trying to end the war early....with any added risk......he has me pinned on 3 fronts........and will look to hurt me across those.....(I suspect).......accelerating in the back end of '44......
This is only my opinion...having been playing Steven for at least one and a half years...........and as he gains the upper hand(in a big way)......tactics change......
I fear where I feel weakest........the DEI ....is my soft underbelly............and I think he knows it..........and he will need no carrier support to take it..........
As for HI........yes, I've been bad/wasteful even.......I now have enough 75mm field pieces to give to every man/woman/child in the Home Is........so I have burned all my HI on that and aircraft...(anyone like to buy 1200 A6M3As)...(I have 1 sqdrn of 9 aircraft still flying these models).........all my early games.....now have problems coming home to roost......and in this game the large number of TK losses......are hurting more every day..........if you touch oil....for me, it hurts........
RE: Ouch.........
Well, at least they haven't torn down your portrait in Tokyo. I wish I knew what the sign said...
Fun AAR, BTW.

Fun AAR, BTW.

- Attachments
-
- penguin02.jpg (326.45 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: Ouch.........
Thanks ctangus......is that a real sign?........if so I'd love to know what it says.............ORIGINAL: ctangus
Well, at least they haven't torn down your portrait in Tokyo. I wish I knew what the sign said...
Fun AAR, BTW.
![]()
Feb 1-3 1944.......
Speedy's RN Battleships are visiting Rangoon everyday..........I'm not sure why......why not Tavoy?............
Supply problem is easing....as supply moves slowly from Saigon.......
He now has 4 units across the river from Pagan......will he cross?
The US sub Thresher has been sunk......a bright spot in a dark world.......
Hiyo has reached Balik and repaired...not patched up...she is fully operational..........
The 5th Div...has arrived in Borneo......
In 4 days I recieve a Big Div. for Borneo at Inchon.......ships standing by, waiting..........give me 2 weeks....and I might even go over to the offensive in Borneo............apart from all his D*mn planes..............
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Thanks ctangus......is that a real sign?........if so I'd love to know what it says.............
The caption of the photo says, "Penguin Bar". So the text probably says something like, "Come have a few cold ones."
RE: Ouch.........
Feb 1-3rd 1944.........
Speedy's subs have found my new convoy routes......sinking 2 AKs and badly damaging 2 TKs over the last two days...........time to move on.....though the Escorts caught and killed on of his US subs.......HURRAH....glad to see the back of those evil things.....
All quiet in the CENPAC as He gathers his forces for his next move........
Rangoon Bombarded again.......but all three big supply convoys have reached Saigon.......let's hope this will trickle forward..........
I'm hoping to sweep Yunan tommorow.......he has 30 fighters stationed there.......I have 150 at Hanoi.......let see what happens..........
Speedy recon'd Bali today.........nothing there but a BF....but an Amph. Brig. is 7 days out.........and a ML has been sent to attend to Bali.........will also move some fighters in next turn to discourage Para's.........
Einwetok....partly because of some rescued fragments of troops.....has reached 700 AV.........even though I think he will land here next.....I'm going to try to sneak a convoy in to remove some of the combat....and some air support.......I don't want to risk these units being bypassed and cut off.......like all the units I have starving on Tarawa...........no more than 500 AV per Island is my new rule.............as Speedy has changed his tactics............
Speedy's subs have found my new convoy routes......sinking 2 AKs and badly damaging 2 TKs over the last two days...........time to move on.....though the Escorts caught and killed on of his US subs.......HURRAH....glad to see the back of those evil things.....
All quiet in the CENPAC as He gathers his forces for his next move........
Rangoon Bombarded again.......but all three big supply convoys have reached Saigon.......let's hope this will trickle forward..........
I'm hoping to sweep Yunan tommorow.......he has 30 fighters stationed there.......I have 150 at Hanoi.......let see what happens..........
Speedy recon'd Bali today.........nothing there but a BF....but an Amph. Brig. is 7 days out.........and a ML has been sent to attend to Bali.........will also move some fighters in next turn to discourage Para's.........
Einwetok....partly because of some rescued fragments of troops.....has reached 700 AV.........even though I think he will land here next.....I'm going to try to sneak a convoy in to remove some of the combat....and some air support.......I don't want to risk these units being bypassed and cut off.......like all the units I have starving on Tarawa...........no more than 500 AV per Island is my new rule.............as Speedy has changed his tactics............
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Feb 1-3rd 1944.........
Speedy's subs have found my new convoy routes......sinking 2 AKs and badly damaging 2 TKs over the last two days...........time to move on.....though the Escorts caught and killed on of his US subs.......HURRAH....glad to see the back of those evil things.....
All quiet in the CENPAC as He gathers his forces for his next move........
Rangoon Bombarded again.......but all three big supply convoys have reached Saigon.......let's hope this will trickle forward..........
I'm hoping to sweep Yunan tommorow.......he has 30 fighters stationed there.......I have 150 at Hanoi.......let see what happens..........
Speedy recon'd Bali today.........nothing there but a BF....but an Amph. Brig. is 7 days out.........and a ML has been sent to attend to Bali.........will also move some fighters in next turn to discourage Para's.........
Einwetok....partly because of some rescued fragments of troops.....has reached 700 AV.........even though I think he will land here next.....I'm going to try to sneak a convoy in to remove some of the combat....and some air support.......I don't want to risk these units being bypassed and cut off.......like all the units I have starving on Tarawa...........no more than 500 AV per Island is my new rule.............as Speedy has changed his tactics............
Perhaps your new tanks can stop his advance...

RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Feb 1-3rd 1944.........
Speedy's subs have found my new convoy routes......sinking 2 AKs and badly damaging 2 TKs over the last two days...........time to move on.....though the Escorts caught and killed on of his US subs.......HURRAH....glad to see the back of those evil things.....
All quiet in the CENPAC as He gathers his forces for his next move........
Rangoon Bombarded again.......but all three big supply convoys have reached Saigon.......let's hope this will trickle forward..........
I'm hoping to sweep Yunan tommorow.......he has 30 fighters stationed there.......I have 150 at Hanoi.......let see what happens..........
Speedy recon'd Bali today.........nothing there but a BF....but an Amph. Brig. is 7 days out.........and a ML has been sent to attend to Bali.........will also move some fighters in next turn to discourage Para's.........
Einwetok....partly because of some rescued fragments of troops.....has reached 700 AV.........even though I think he will land here next.....I'm going to try to sneak a convoy in to remove some of the combat....and some air support.......I don't want to risk these units being bypassed and cut off.......like all the units I have starving on Tarawa...........no more than 500 AV per Island is my new rule.............as Speedy has changed his tactics............
Perhaps your new tanks can stop his advance...
Shhhhhhhh....Robert....prying eyes and all that.........yes I have four Div. of these embarking for Bankok as we speak.........they should arrive by.....say .....spring,1957................
RE: Ouch.........
Feb 4-5th 1944.........
Mass air-raid on Einwetok.......results look a bit like this...........

Mass air-raid on Einwetok.......results look a bit like this...........

- Attachments
-
- aein.jpg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: Ouch.........
Overall I was pleased with my mixed bag of fighters.......the A2A was mine .....but Speedy plastered the runways......and devastated my planes on the ground........if he carries on next turn....I'll try to rescue fragments......could this be the softening up before the big invasion?....................
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Ouch.........
Well, the nice thing about this particular variant is that it's amphibious. In fact, I believe it has greater mobility in the water.ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Feb 1-3rd 1944.........
Speedy's subs have found my new convoy routes......sinking 2 AKs and badly damaging 2 TKs over the last two days...........time to move on.....though the Escorts caught and killed on of his US subs.......HURRAH....glad to see the back of those evil things.....
All quiet in the CENPAC as He gathers his forces for his next move........
Rangoon Bombarded again.......but all three big supply convoys have reached Saigon.......let's hope this will trickle forward..........
I'm hoping to sweep Yunan tommorow.......he has 30 fighters stationed there.......I have 150 at Hanoi.......let see what happens..........
Speedy recon'd Bali today.........nothing there but a BF....but an Amph. Brig. is 7 days out.........and a ML has been sent to attend to Bali.........will also move some fighters in next turn to discourage Para's.........
Einwetok....partly because of some rescued fragments of troops.....has reached 700 AV.........even though I think he will land here next.....I'm going to try to sneak a convoy in to remove some of the combat....and some air support.......I don't want to risk these units being bypassed and cut off.......like all the units I have starving on Tarawa...........no more than 500 AV per Island is my new rule.............as Speedy has changed his tactics............
Perhaps your new tanks can stop his advance...

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Ouch.........
Feb 6th 1944...........
Speedy hit Einwetok again with around 200 bombers........and little got in there way ....I lost about 60 fighters.....all on the ground.......I'm now moving fighter groups out......but will leave behind over 100 damaged air-frames that Speedy will destroy in the next turn or two............
His Brit Carriers have moved south to 1 hex away from Georgetown......nothing I can do.....and I suspect he will hit Singapore.....all shipping has been moved....though I fear he may venture further..........he sank 2 AKs of the And.Is. resupply group.......
Lost 1 AP and 1 AK to subs this turn....but did manage to damage one of the ********** , back to repair in port for that one.........
5 Fighter groups are pulling out of the Solomans today.....Speedy will no doubt notice this........and may start nosing around.........some easy points to be had here......if he fancies the distraction.........
Speedy hit Einwetok again with around 200 bombers........and little got in there way ....I lost about 60 fighters.....all on the ground.......I'm now moving fighter groups out......but will leave behind over 100 damaged air-frames that Speedy will destroy in the next turn or two............
His Brit Carriers have moved south to 1 hex away from Georgetown......nothing I can do.....and I suspect he will hit Singapore.....all shipping has been moved....though I fear he may venture further..........he sank 2 AKs of the And.Is. resupply group.......
Lost 1 AP and 1 AK to subs this turn....but did manage to damage one of the ********** , back to repair in port for that one.........
5 Fighter groups are pulling out of the Solomans today.....Speedy will no doubt notice this........and may start nosing around.........some easy points to be had here......if he fancies the distraction.........
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Feb 6th 1944...........
5 Fighter groups are pulling out of the Solomans today.....Speedy will no doubt notice this........and may start nosing around.........some easy points to be had here......if he fancies the distraction.........
Possibly, but by 1944 the Solomons are a sideshow. My thoughts: pushing simultaneously in the Central Pacific, the DEI, and Burma is enough!
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo





