AE Grandmaster

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What would a Cuttlefish vs. CapMandrake game be like?

[X(]

I tired to matriculate the CO of Hibiki into the salted sea urchin roe multi-level marketing scheme but he had sworn fealty to the Emperor.
Image
Cuttlefish
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:03 am
Location: Oregon, USA

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Cuttlefish »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What would a Cuttlefish vs. CapMandrake game be like?

[X(]

I tried to matriculate the CO of Hibiki into the salted sea urchin roe multi-level marketing scheme but he had sworn fealty to the Emperor.

The best part about this statement is that, as off the wall as it is, it's also true.

Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What would a Cuttlefish vs. CapMandrake game be like?

[X(]

Cuttledrake versus CapManfish - battle of the century!
User avatar
madflava13
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by madflava13 »

My votes would be for PzB, Mike Solli, and Canoerebel. These are the only AARs I've read religiously. I've read plenty of others, but they didn't make me sign on 5 times a day to see if there were updates like these three.

Also, Mogami - after all, there's a (now defunct) method named after him.

And Brady - I don't know where he's disappeared to, but he had probably more obvious input and fought harder for IJN fanboys than anyone!

Having been on the forums since 2001, well before AE was ever dreamed up, I can probably think of a dozen other guys as well, but then I'd be going back to UV days...
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
User avatar
cantona2
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: Gibraltar

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by cantona2 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

It is nice to see a genuinely positive and pleasant Thread running on this topic. Nice work everyone. It is a pleasaure to read.

There is another area that might need some consideration: Modders.

There is a nice-sized group who have come together with differing visions to create their own version of reality. The scholarship, research skills, and Editor knowledge displayed has amazed me time and again. For the last 18 months I have been consumed with Reluctant Admiral and now the Perfect War Mod. Watching the work done on Da Babes and other Mods makes me truly understand and appreciate all that hard work to simply fulfill a vision or dream within the world of AE.

For my votes I would reach far back to my original teacher in UV and WitP: Moses. He taught me a lot and though nothing has been seen of him for years, I do hope him the best. My other votes would go to JWE and Juan who have always been willing to volunteer their time, help, and consideration. FatR fits into that model as well.

Over some very rough years my experience with my former opponent CR (Dan), Economics Minister Michael (NYGiants) and Paul Layne has taught how this Forum can truly develop strong friendships and a support network.

Keep up the Thread and we'll see where it goes!

+1 and a heads up to the Patch People and all their hard work (Halsey/Lesbaker and any others I may have forgotten)
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

1275psi
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:47 pm

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by 1275psi »

ORIGINAL: Lomri


I've lurked since the UV days, and while I have a terrible memory for names, folks who write AARs really do need special recognition. I really enjoyed UV but I remember almost having more fun reading some peoples AARs back in the day. I think it is really inspired me and made WitP more accessible. I sure wish I remember the names of the first AARs I read. Maybe Mogami? Speedy? Maybe it was a match between an Ozzie and a Kiwi?

So while this thread started talking about excellent players, I wanted to second (or fifth or whatever) the sentiment that AARs are a valuable contribution to the community. Plus, without them, how would you even know what constitutes "best" play?


An aussie and a kiwi -that would be myself and wobbly.
we introduced the dual, don't peek AARs.which honestly, show how great this forum is, because they still exists because HONOUR runs deep on this forum...........nno cheats here!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
User avatar
zuluhour
Posts: 5246
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by zuluhour »

newb view:
Grandmaster: unqualified to speculate, however from my brief time here: Michaelm and Alfred should have some kind of rune displayed under those stars to signify an amazing level of dedication to us (well you fellows mostly. I just got "off the boat").
The Game: I know this much, I would sacrifice some of the color commentary, which I do heartily enjoy, to see a 2vs2 or two 2vs2 vs the nominees.(2-day turns) (teams divide responsibility as they please.)

Sincerly, Zuluhour (VP of TWIT)

perhaps the game could be a 3-6 month affair with modified VC?
User avatar
steamboateng
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: somewhere in Massachusetts

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by steamboateng »

Being quite new to the forums and AE, and not really familiar with all top players, as I've followed only a few AAR's; I humbly submit Nemo as a canidate.
His introductory courses into Russian Strategic Concepts, OODA Loops and other like mysteries, has not only held my attention and awe, but has allowed me to significantly improve my Google skills.
Nemo forces the question: 'OK! You have made that move (commitment?). Why did you do that?
Nemo is not only a teacher. He is a provocative teacher.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

There are a heck of alot of experienced and capable AE players, all of whom belong in roughly the same classification - good guys/good players. IMO, there are only a few that are clearly at the head of the class.

But three guys who jump at out me as deserving special mention:

Terminus: Just because it wil irritate the fire out of him.

Bullwinkle: Because he's a good Moose.

GreyJoy: Because the guy is keeping the entire forum entertained with his steadfastness, foibles, creative spelling, and genuine cheerfulness.

If a "Grandmaster" is defined as "being very good at the game", then I'm happy to disappoint you. I might qualify as a "good guy", but that's for others to decide (and please do so without posting about it).

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

There are a heck of alot of experienced and capable AE players, all of whom belong in roughly the same classification - good guys/good players. IMO, there are only a few that are clearly at the head of the class.

But three guys who jump at out me as deserving special mention:

Terminus: Just because it wil irritate the fire out of him.

Bullwinkle: Because he's a good Moose.

GreyJoy: Because the guy is keeping the entire forum entertained with his steadfastness, foibles, creative spelling, and genuine cheerfulness.

If a "Grandmaster" is defined as "being very good at the game", then I'm happy to disappoint you. I might qualify as a "good guy", but that's for others to decide (and please do so without posting about it).



Where's the fun in that? [:'(]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

Good guy? [:D] Hmmm...., . Let's just say T deserves the title due to knowledge,creating a scenario, and of course his charming personality[X(] and all around good looks! [:D]
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by DuckofTindalos »

[:'(]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

[:'(]

BTW, you don't need a bigger finger when you have the world's ugliest toe! [:D]
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by DuckofTindalos »

[:'(]

Image
Attachments
Toe2.gif
Toe2.gif (173.96 KiB) Viewed 552 times
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

Actually T is not so much a grandmaster as a toemiester![:D]
User avatar
jeffs
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:43 am
Location: Tokyo

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by jeffs »

I have agree with Nemo.....Just based on his psyco ops talent alone!![:)]
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
User avatar
jeffs
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:43 am
Location: Tokyo

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by jeffs »

I should also add that I PMed Nemo about some strategic questions and he promptly answered the question in enought detail that I was able to replicate the strategy (if somewhat imperfectly)...in my game.

So he is a teacher...I imagine Snape (for you Harry Potter fans) of AE strategy...Emphasis on the dark arts.
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: jeffs

I should also add that I PMed Nemo about some strategic questions and he promptly answered the question in enought detail that I was able to replicate the strategy (if somewhat imperfectly)...in my game.

So he is a teacher...I imagine Snape (for you Harry Potter fans) of AE strategy...Emphasis on the dark arts.
Deleted
User avatar
John 3rd
Posts: 17790
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:03 pm
Location: La Salle, Colorado

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by John 3rd »

Steve:

Perhaps with your clarification and differing areas we can redo a Japanese and Allied list of players?
Image

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Nemo121 »

I believe that good strategic analysis isn't limited to playing one side or the other. Anyone at the top level should have an equal facility for playing Allies or Japanese as a GrandMaster is less concerned with "learning" how to play one side and more focused on learning how to think problems through.

If someone's a Grandmaster then they will have learnt how to think strategic problems through and come up with workable operational plans. Ideally their solutions will show a flexibility, willingness to examine the issue without preconceived notions and a willingness to adopt unorthodox solutions which, nonetheless, are effective and result in practical operations which succeed - by their terms. If someone has learnt how to play one side or the other well ( but not the other ) then it is highly likely that they are not exhibiting this ability to engage in fundamental analysis and turn out a comprehensive, cohesive, internally consistent plan capable of being implemented operationally and achieving the strategic goals they require in order to achieve their national policy objectives. They are probably just exhibiting an ability to "pick" a few standard plays and apply them well - but that's far from being a top level player.

E.g. You might pick PzB as a player who is a "good" Japanese player. I would argue that he is a good strategist in general and would do a good job with the Allies too as his analysis is usually good. Previously though I also point out that in order to be considered in the top flight he would have to, IMO, play someone other than AndyMac and play as the Allies so that his innate strategic analysis skills and ability to turn that analysis into practical plans in service of his overall goal would be clearly demonstrated. So, not just a good Japanese player but a good strategist, definitely on the 2nd tier of players and possibly the first tier if he demonstrates a facility to play as the non-Japanese vs other opponents.


Paladin1ds et al,
Interestingly enough I did once kick around the idea of playing with Alfred in a 2 vs 2. Once the opponents I have my eye on finish their current games I intend to raise that possibility again. I raised the issue and the response is, I think, a "maybe" to be reviewed when their current games finish. That'll probably be another 18 months or so but, if you want interesting matches, you have to be willing to wait for people's dance cards to be free - so I wait.



Lastly, I would suggest that some utility could come to the community from the following division of nominations:

1. Grandmaster: Excellent players. Two tiers are required, at least. First tier is for players who are outstanding in every aspect ( strategy, operational art, tactical understanding ) and show they can apply this to either side in any situation at any time. Second tier would nominate players who have shown ability in a number of the areas above but either don't reach the same standard as the people in the first tier or haven't demonstrated ability in each of the necessary areas.

Thus, I think, PzB could easily justify a 2nd tier spot and the reasons why he would be 2nd and not 1st would be clear.

A player in the first or 2nd tier would immediately be someone that anyone new to AE would know should be listened to. Some recent AARs feature huge amounts of advice but sometimes there was so much advice that players have had difficulty figuring out which advice was worth listening to. I think if Grandmaster were limited to no more than 8 spots then I think it would be clear that:
a) anyone in that group of 8 would be worth listening to
b) there would be some quality control to prevent the title of Grandmaster being used as an honorific and ending up being given to 15 or 20 people such that it loses all meaning.


2. Sensei - Maximum of 8 players.
Combining high levels of ability with a willingness to explain things to others. NOt everyone who knows how things work or who can play a good game is actually willing or able to explain things to others. In some cases that's just not having the time, in others it is a conscious decision to hold information close so that they don't lose their perceived knowledge advantage and in others it is a means of "punishing" those whom they have some animus towards.

So, if people have ability insight and a willingness to share this insight with others then they can qualify as Sensei.

E.g. LoBaron would definitely qualify as he has been willing to test and share his insight into A2A mechanisms. Others would be excluded because while they have the ability or insight they are either unable or unwilling to share their knowledge equally and freely with the community - an essential criteria for being a Sensei as it does new players no use to know someone knows stuff if that person won't share that information or insight with them. Simple example, if you're a teacher you can't be labelled a Sensei ( an excellent teacher) if you will only teach caucasian kids and refuse to teach others cause you are a racist. No matter how well you teach those Caucasian kids you shouldn't be held up as an example to others - which is what admitting people into this label would be doing.


So, that would separate great players from those who might have great insight into mechanics and strategy but who mightn't have the necessary playing record to earn the Grandmaster sobriquet. It would also clarify for newbies just whom to turn to for strategic advice and whom to turn to for advice on game mechanics or "how to do x" type questions. There will probably be some overlap between the two but that's no harm. I can certainly think of 2 people whom I'd place in both categories.


Obviously lots of others have made excellent contributions to AE ( floydg, Damian ( n01etc ), michaelm etc ) but if we're trying to focus on helping newbies then we need to focus on which skills/people to highlight in order to help them. Identifying the top players and those who are best at explaining mechanisms and game arcana AND willing to do so to all and sundry ( a crucial thing since people often use the ability to control access to knowledge to bully others and I don't think we should extoll that sort of behaviour or direct newbies to people who might do that ) serves that purpose.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”