Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

No idea
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:19 am

RE: Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Post by No idea »

I just finished reading "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1491-1942" by Robert Forczyk. You can guess what it is about. Really good reading. All the major (and not so major), combat operations on the East Front where tanks were involved (that means every offensive) are covered. The fact that the author was a tank captain during the 80s is a bonus.
User avatar
sillyflower
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Back in Blighty

RE: Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Absolute War - Chris Bellamy

(I'm biased as he mentored my MA Dissertation)
I remember Chris from when we were both in the artillery part of the Officer Training Corps at university -40 years ago now [:(]
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
User avatar
sillyflower
Posts: 3509
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Back in Blighty

RE: Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Post by sillyflower »

That's better now[;)]

I recommend 'Small unit actions during the german campaign in Russia' No author but is part of the German Report Series by the naval & military press
The anvil of war by Gen Raus and Gen von Natzmer ed. peter tsouras
Panzer aces by Frank Kurowski. Think he also did infantry aces too.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
User avatar
Bozo_the_Clown
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm
Location: Bozotown

RE: Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

"Panzer Tactics" by Wolfgang Schneider for an in-depth look. Lots of cool pictures too.


Image
Attachments
51PXnrkvC..203200_.jpg
51PXnrkvC..203200_.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 213 times
User avatar
Tcao
Posts: 644
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: 盐城

RE: Best Books on Eastern Front (that put you right there in the action)?!

Post by Tcao »

Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton

the following chapter is a good read for logistics problems German facing at the early stage of the war

Russian roulette
page 142

Planning for Barbarossa
page 148


Leningrad and the Dnieper
page 155


Storm to the gates of Moscow?
page 166


Conclusions
page 175


Image


Image
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”