Dinner Party

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
loki100
Posts: 11708
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Utlima Thule

RE: Dinner Party

Post by loki100 »

I think I'd go for a mix of rebels and authoritarians ... should enable a lively debate, so:

on the left hand side:

John Milton (there is a question about the argument in Paradise Lost I've always wanted an answer to)
Spartacus (did he really have a dimple?)
Toussaint L'Ouverture

on the other:

Oliver Cromwell
Catherine the Great

and caught between them:

Danton

Overseen by the wonderful Emily Dickinson who can gracefully remind them all of the many flaws and oddities to human nature

(changed to fit as below)
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

loki100 sorry mate but you cannot have Satan nor God.

To clarify, the rule on religion is not because of any atheist leanings on my part (quite the opposite) but I don't want to go down that whole route please.

Many thanks.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

My guest list:

William Shakespeare
Henry Rollins
Leonardo Da Vinci
Isaac Newton
Alexander the Great
Mahatma Ghandi
Plato

Myself at the head with Shakespeare opposite Rollins, Da Vinci opposite Newton, Alexander opposite Ghandi and Plato at the other end.

Topic - Humanity - how can we be better?

Cheers,

warspite1

Thank-you. Playing devils advocate; aren't these people too far back in history to be relevant to the problems of today and how we can be better? It doesn't matter how we think - if we don't take the Chinese, the Russians, the US with us?

With some of the greatest minds in human history around the table, there should be some robust discussion on where we are, how we got here and where we are going. The lines on the map may be different but Alexander could probably relate to some of the geo-political problems of today and the future, the scientists would relish the opportunity to use today's technology for the good and as commentators on their respective societies the artists would have a lot to contribute.

It was difficult getting down to the 7 - I would have liked to include some women as well - Eleanor of Aquitaine, Ayn Rand, Mary Anning, and Hypatia of Alexandria could replace Rollins, Newton, Alexander and Ghandi (I would keep Da Vinci, Shakespeare, Plato and myself to represent the male side).

Cheers,
warspite1

+ 1 I was pleased to be able to fit Lady Thatcher in as I am uncomfortable with the lack of female representation around the table.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

All right Warspite1, I've given it a little more thought to try and round out my list.

The problem I was having had nothing to do with a lack of intellect or knowledge, it was trying to narrow down 7 out of the plethora of people I had in my head. [;)]

1. Erich von Manstein - I have a multitude of questions for him being he was a military genius and all.

2. Marcus Aurelius - Brilliant mind in so many ways. The conversations with him could last well into the next morning on any given topic over a bottle or two of Oban.

3. Charles Cornwallis - Would love to know what he would have done differently had he been in command and not General Sir Henry Clinton. Also would love to hear about his Governing of India and setting the stage there for development.

4. Catherine The Great - To speak to a strong female ruler who essentially brought Russia into a Golden Age would be enlightening.

5. Carl von Clausewitz - Would love to pick his brain on military theory and see how he feels about his ideas then would hold up in today's military operations.

6. George Patton - I would ask him about how he thought the Allies with the help of the defeated German Wehrmacht were going to over come the Red Army and send it back to Russia. That should make for some interesting conversation.

7. Heinz Guderian - To get his in depth thoughts on operation Barbarossa and also his take on today's armoured formations.

Well there is my list.
warspite1

Thanks. Like No.3

You can also ask No.4 about the horse [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

I think I'd go for a mix of rebels and authoritarians ... should enable a lively debate, so:

on the left hand side:

John Milton (there is a question about the argument in Paradise Lost I've always wanted an answer to)
Spartacus (did he really have a dimple?)
Toussaint L'Ouverture

on the other:

Oliver Cromwell
Catherine the Great

and caught between them:

Danton

Overseen by the wonderful Emily Dickinson who can gracefully remind them all of the many flaws and oddities to human nature

(changed to fit as below)
warspite1

Sorry loki100 I don't want to seem awkward but you say you want to invite Spartacus. Well I'm Spartacus...... and so's my wife.

[:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYc_flMnMQ
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
loki100
Posts: 11708
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Utlima Thule

RE: Dinner Party

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: loki100

I think I'd go for a mix of rebels and authoritarians ... should enable a lively debate, so:

on the left hand side:

John Milton (there is a question about the argument in Paradise Lost I've always wanted an answer to)
Spartacus (did he really have a dimple?)
Toussaint L'Ouverture

on the other:

Oliver Cromwell
Catherine the Great

and caught between them:

Danton

Overseen by the wonderful Emily Dickinson who can gracefully remind them all of the many flaws and oddities to human nature

(changed to fit as below)
warspite1

Sorry loki100 I don't want to seem awkward but you say you want to invite Spartacus. Well I'm Spartacus...... and so's my wife.

[:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYc_flMnMQ

och and you're more than welcome [;)], but this may be a more accurate clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100
ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: loki100

I think I'd go for a mix of rebels and authoritarians ... should enable a lively debate, so:

on the left hand side:

John Milton (there is a question about the argument in Paradise Lost I've always wanted an answer to)
Spartacus (did he really have a dimple?)
Toussaint L'Ouverture

on the other:

Oliver Cromwell
Catherine the Great

and caught between them:

Danton

Overseen by the wonderful Emily Dickinson who can gracefully remind them all of the many flaws and oddities to human nature

(changed to fit as below)
warspite1

Sorry loki100 I don't want to seem awkward but you say you want to invite Spartacus. Well I'm Spartacus...... and so's my wife.

[:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYc_flMnMQ

och and you're more than welcome [;)], but this may be a more accurate clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0
warspite1

Well three things:

1. I think you are going to need a bigger dinner table
2. I thought Monty Python's version was more historically accurate [:D]
3. Just how flippin' gorgeous was Jean Simmons?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQeksB ... ion_139364
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
loki100
Posts: 11708
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Utlima Thule

RE: Dinner Party

Post by loki100 »

1 - true

2 - Monty Python certainly reflects my likely response far better [;)]

3 - very
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

Further to post 56 I think this should be playing in the background at Hertson's dinner party. A fine icebreaker, what? [:D]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clM1i88s-7Q
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Doggie3
Plato at the other end.

Tell the barkeep that he is a bit nervous about the contents of his goblet. Make a show of tasting from it first.
Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

Anybody else care to share their fantasy guest list and their reasons? What about the Matrix peeps? Anyone?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

OK, I'll play...

Napoleon Bonaparte
Socrates
Billy the Kid
Sigmund Freud
Ludwig von Beethoven
Joan of Arc
Genghis Khan
Abraham Lincoln

The question will be... "How do these historical figures react to life in contemporary America?"

And, yea, I'm cheating

who knows how?
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

OK, I'll play...

Napoleon Bonaparte
Socrates
Billy the Kid
Sigmund Freud
Ludwig von Beethoven
Joan of Arc
Genghis Khan
Abraham Lincoln

The question will be... "How do these historical figures react to life in contemporary America?"

And, yea, I'm cheating

who knows how?
warspite1

Yes you are - you have one guest too many....... [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

OK, I'll play...

Napoleon Bonaparte
Socrates
Billy the Kid
Sigmund Freud
Ludwig von Beethoven
Joan of Arc
Genghis Khan
Abraham Lincoln

The question will be... "How do these historical figures react to life in contemporary America?"

And, yea, I'm cheating

who knows how?
warspite1

Yes you are - you have one guest too many....... [;)]

OK, let's throw Billy the Kid under the Bus... I mean phone booth...

Not the principal cheat though....

Guess again [:D]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
Orm
Posts: 33518
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Orm »

Joan of Arc is to religious?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Joan of Arc is to religious?

Nope, this approaches being a "trivia" question.

Now where did I find this list of august historical personages? I thought someone would get this right off [;)]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
Orm
Posts: 33518
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:53 pm
Location: Sweden

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: Orm

Joan of Arc is to religious?

Nope, this approaches being a "trivia" question.

Now where did I find this list of august historical personages? I thought someone would get this right off [;)]
I had Joan of Arc in my first draft but she got cut because I could not decide if she was a military leader or a religious one. [:D]

I had Nelson Mandela as well but he was cut when I decided I wanted a equal number of men and women on my list.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Dinner Party

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: Orm

Joan of Arc is to religious?

Nope, this approaches being a "trivia" question.

Now where did I find this list of august historical personages? I thought someone would get this right off [;)]
I had Joan of Arc in my first draft but she got cut because I could not decide if she was a military leader or a religious one. [:D]

I had Nelson Mandela as well but he was cut when I decided I wanted a equal number of men and women on my list.

Haha... I was too lazy to do the research so I found an easy cheat...

Now where could I have gotten these names? (you might want to put Billy the Kid back in the mix).

I provided one hint already...

The backstory is really Wyld!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
Eambar
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Eambar »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: Orm

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn




Nope, this approaches being a "trivia" question.

Now where did I find this list of august historical personages? I thought someone would get this right off [;)]
I had Joan of Arc in my first draft but she got cut because I could not decide if she was a military leader or a religious one. [:D]

I had Nelson Mandela as well but he was cut when I decided I wanted a equal number of men and women on my list.

Haha... I was too lazy to do the research so I found an easy cheat...

Now where could I have gotten these names? (you might want to put Billy the Kid back in the mix).

I provided one hint already...

The backstory is really Wyld!

This has been a most excellent adventure dude!
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: Orm



I had Joan of Arc in my first draft but she got cut because I could not decide if she was a military leader or a religious one. [:D]

I had Nelson Mandela as well but he was cut when I decided I wanted a equal number of men and women on my list.

Haha... I was too lazy to do the research so I found an easy cheat...

Now where could I have gotten these names? (you might want to put Billy the Kid back in the mix).

I provided one hint already...

The backstory is really Wyld!

This has been a most excellent adventure dude!
warspite1

If its that then I think you spelt Socrates wrong - It should be So Crates.

Also wasn't Mr O Polo in it as in Mark O'Polo?

And that, quite genuinely, is about the only two things I remember about that film.....

[:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”