warspite1ORIGINAL: Orm
Thank you. [:)] [&o]ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101
ORIGINAL: Orm
The political cost for this operation seems very high to me. Not only declaring war Spain to consider here. There is also the question of Vichy France. Had AH, and Germany, planned for Spain, and Gibraltar, before they begun peace talks with France then passage for an Army going into Spain would, in my humble opinion, not been any real issue for Vichy France. But since they did not, I suspect the Vichy leadership would have strongly objected.
So how would the world react to Germany entering a treaty with France, and break it before the ink dried up. And then, without any cause, advance into Spain. UK might very well have won the war by this, even if it cost them Gibraltar.
FYI, German forces wouldn't need to go through Vichy territory to enter Spain. They had the ability to march through the Bordeaux-Biarritz corridor in the German occupied zone of France.
Yes. They could have. I think it was concluded in a previous discussion that just using that corridor was not practical when attempting to blitz through Spain in short time so I did not include this possibility in my post. If this is considered the invasion route, then I will amend my thinking accordingly.
Given the disparity in forces, I don't think its not practical, but I do think its far from ideal.


