ORIGINAL: kaleun
I used to play SWOTL but never discovered that trick!
You had to keep moving. If your plane ever completely stopped then you were considered captured and that mission ended.
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

I can't remember the last time I've ever "hardcoded" ANYTHING into a software module other than an error or trace message.
ORIGINAL: kaleun
My first GG game was War in the South West Pacific, for the C64. Two years ago, I realized I still had the disks and the original plastic overlayed map. Then I got USAAF, also for the C64 IIRC, the forefather of BTR. PACWAR was the next and then War in Russia.
I am so looking forawrd to getting this game.



ORIGINAL: Kid
I bought SSI's very first computer game. It was call Computer Bismarck, and then Computer Ambush. It took an hour to run one turn with CA. I can trace the evolution of computer war gaming by the SSI games I bought. I still have every SSI catalog that ever came out, up until the point the suits took over the company. I can still remember the day I got War In Russia in the mail. I was in Iceland about to transfer. The game arrived after my computer got shipped out. That really sucked. I could only look at the manual for 4 weeks. Ahhh those were the days.
ORIGINAL: Kid
I bought SSI's very first computer game. It was call Computer Bismarck, and then Computer Ambush. It took an hour to run one turn with CA. I can trace the evolution of computer war gaming by the SSI games I bought. I still have every SSI catalog that ever came out, up until the point the suits took over the company. I can still remember the day I got War In Russia in the mail. I was in Iceland about to transfer. The game arrived after my computer got shipped out. That really sucked. I could only look at the manual for 4 weeks. Ahhh those were the days.
ORIGINAL: Greyshaft
I can't remember the last time I've ever "hardcoded" ANYTHING into a software module other than an error or trace message.
Naughty boy... how do you handle internationalisation of your products? Error messages belong in seperate files which are loaded at runtime [:-]
ORIGINAL: Kid
I bought SSI's very first computer game. It was call Computer Bismarck, and then Computer Ambush. It took an hour to run one turn with CA. I can trace the evolution of computer war gaming by the SSI games I bought. I still have every SSI catalog that ever came out, up until the point the suits took over the company. I can still remember the day I got War In Russia in the mail. I was in Iceland about to transfer. The game arrived after my computer got shipped out. That really sucked. I could only look at the manual for 4 weeks. Ahhh those were the days.
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
And it was a time that an individual, or couple of individuals could actually write a game by themselves. Graphics were so primative they did not require a great deal of code to create and no artists to create the content, but now with all the level designers and top end artwork required.... Ooops, sorry, level designers....probably a very politically incorrect topic for a wargaming board....
ORIGINAL: Slick91
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
And it was a time that an individual, or couple of individuals could actually write a game by themselves. Graphics were so primative they did not require a great deal of code to create and no artists to create the content, but now with all the level designers and top end artwork required.... Ooops, sorry, level designers....probably a very politically incorrect topic for a wargaming board....
You touched on a point that I’ve always wondered about. In the early days, you lacked detailed graphics and had to play more abstractly. This is what seemed to be the proverbial fish hook for me. I started my love affair for wargaming with the table top classics from Avalon Hill, Victory Games, et al. The early days of computer gaming before the 3D game engines, kept the same abstract aspect. I enjoyed being able to pause and look at the battlefield in front of me and imagine the sights and sounds.
Now a day, it is all eye candy, smoke, and mirrors game play. There is too much focus in the industry for the graphics and sound first, game play second. At least Matrix Games has got it right and stuck to the old standard while adding the pretty things to look at.
Look at two games from the early days, Red Storm Rising and Falcon 3.0. Both games very limited in graphics and hardware by today’s standards, but the game play was second to none and still has not been duplicated to this day. You younger folks will probably have no idea what I’m talking about. You had features included in those early DOS games that have never been reproduced in any game released in the last five to ten years.
I figure this year I’ll end up paying for Matrix Game’s utility bills a few time at least. [:D]