Empire of the Rising Lemon? SqzMyLemon (Japan) v Smeulders (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Economics 101

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Thanks for posting crssutton and I completely agree. You've obviously commented on my thoughts about misplaying Burma the entire game and the Allies are indeed in a strong position far earlier than they should be. Part of the problem was the version of the game we were playing that was allowing supply to flow relatively unrestricted in Burma. It didn't affect me as I had road and rail lines, but it certainly helped Bart by allowing him to move on me early and get enough supply to build up his bases. You are right, it is what it is and it's my fault really for allowing it, hence my concern in this theatre.

I agree as well that an amphibious flanking move may not be required as I thought for the reason that he's already established in Burma and can start driving deeper anytime. Mandalay is a level 5 fort, but I know that against a determined bombing campaign and tanks I have no chance to stand. I just thank my luck that Bart doesn't use his airforce to hammer on my ground troops. At some point he will figure it out, but until then I do what I can to prepare.

I'd love to pull my own Inchon against the Allies in Burma, land at Chittagong and attempt to cut off his entire Burma army, but am almost certain it would fail because he's had too long to build up and I'd get pounded by his 4E's since I'd have to operate mostly in clear terrain.

I've made a ton of mistakes that is going to make the end game very frustrating. There isn't a turn that goes by that I don't wish I'd have done things differently from the start. Live and learn, but this is going to be a painful lesson against a player that I have allowed an easy time of it.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Economics 101

Post by freeboy »

Well, I only play allied.. and the trick is to use the non bought out units to seize the coast while marching overland with the bulk of the Indio British forces.. 43 44 should see the fight well into Burma.. unless the forces get diverted into other areas..
As A Jap player the best bet is to a. Builld up fortifications and if he crossed the river in force try to slow down his progress with small unit stalling tactics.. run  around his units and cut off supplies etc... its always a battle for the high supply "ground" and while I agree the British forces should prevail, you can make life on us poor allied FBs tough...once the bulk of the forces is accross the river and your bases start to fall, retreat to better positions..
or die
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan. 1/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 1/43:

Sub Ops:

SS KX misses SC Ch 11
SS Kingfish sinks the PB Yahonui Maru near Ulithi.

China:

Japanese bombers target the 7th War Area HQ and eight Chinese Corps' at 78,51 near Chihkiang in three separate raids. Sally IIa's (118), Sally IIb's (24) and Helen IIa's (23) cause 0(28) infantry 0(18) non-combat and 0(1) engineer squad losses. Despite clear skies and reducing the altitude to 6k the results are extremely poor.

Changteh's airbase is hit by two raids of Ki-51 Sonia's (63). Combined damage results in 9 AB, 3 ABS and 55 Runway hits. Bombers flew in severe storms at 10k. I find the Sonia's actually achieve something on airfield attack, which allows me to train up pilots and get some positive damage inflicted on the enemy from these otherwise mediocre models.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Hakodate expands fortifications to size 1
Samah expands fortifications to size 4
Munda expands fortifications to size 3
Umboi Island expands airfield to size 1

DD Ikazuchi beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Usugumo beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Shirakumo beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Shikinami beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Uzuki beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Fumizuki beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Nagatsuki beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
DD Mochizuki beginning refit in shipyard at Singapore
E W-6 taken out of commission to begin refit at Truk
E W-13 taken out of commission to begin refit at Manila
E W-16 taken out of commission to begin refit at Babeldaob
E W-21 beginning refit in shipyard at Manila
E W-22 beginning refit in shipyard at Manila

A6M3 Zero upgrading to A6M3a Zero at Utsonomiya
59th Sentai/A converting to Ki-43-IIa Oscar

Allied:

Tabiteuea expands port to size 2
Chittagong expands port to size 6
Ledo expands airfield to size 7
Geraldton expands airfield to size 4
Newcastle expands airfield to size 7
Voroshilov expands airfield to size 7
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan. 2/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 2/43:

Sub Ops:

SS I-175 takes a direct DC and near miss hit from SC-744 near Arorae. Allied anti-submarine measures are becoming more effective. Two submarines heavily damaged in the last three days.

China:

Chinese troops are again bombed near Chihkiang with two raids:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 46th Chinese Corps, at 78,51 , near Chihkiang

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 121
Ki-21-IIb Sally x 24
Ki-43-IIa Oscar x 25
Ki-49-IIa Helen x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 9 damaged
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 4 damaged

Allied ground losses:
200 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on 79th Chinese Corps, at 78,51 , near Chihkiang

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 21

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
18 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Changteh's airbase hit again:

------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Changteh , at 81,50

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 8 (This is the goal)
Runway hits 20

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

DD Mutsuki beginning refit in shipyard at Manila
DD Yayoi beginning refit in shipyard at Manila
DD Satsuki beginning refit in shipyard at Manila
DD Minazuki beginning refit in shipyard at Manila
DD Yuzuki beginning refit in shipyard at Manila

TK Amato Maru arrives at Hiroshima/Kure

Allied:

Borzya expands airfield to size 8
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan. 2/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've begun sending some small SCTF's to Kwajalein and area composed of CL's and old DD's. The plan is to start interdicting some of the numerous Allied ASW TF's around Tabiteuea with small hit and run patrols. The risk of getting caught within LBA range of Tabiteuea is high, but I need to start ramping up the threat level, and nailing a few of these vastly improved ASW TF's will help my submarines be more effective.

I need to establish a base capable of providing LRCAP over my naval forces that will operate around Tabiteuea. I'm kicking myself for completely ignoring this theatre and I've made life difficult for my forces. Stupid!

Happy New Year everyone! Another year gone by so quickly, getting older kinda blows. [:(]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Lily IIa ---> Lily IIb

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I just converted my Lily IIa factory to the IIb model and the factory is now completely damaged after the switch. Should it not have been a seamless transition? I was only producing 30 a month so not the end of the world, but I really need to get these aircraft conversions figured out. I still keep delaying doing my tracker homework. [:-]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Lily IIa ---> Lily IIb

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

I just converted my Lily IIa factory to the IIb model and the factory is now completely damaged after the switch. Should it not have been a seamless transition? I was only producing 30 a month so not the end of the world, but I really need to get these aircraft conversions figured out. I still keep delaying doing my tracker homework. [:-]
IIA is the ultimate upgrade for that path. IIb DB is a new path that upgrades to the IIC. So, yes, the factories would damage completely. One of the reasons that I do not keep the Lily in production.
Pax
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Lily IIa ---> Lily IIb

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Thanks as always Pax.

I didn't realize the IIb was a DB. I'm beginning to wonder if it's wise to turn production of any aircraft models off at all with PDU OFF.

I've started looking at some late war Sentai's and see some potential red flags already. For example, I'm not producing the D3A2 Val DB at all, yet I receive a number of air units later that utilize this aircraft. I will have to see whether these air units can upgrade at all, otherwise I may have to start production of the D3A2. I also receive a large number of air units that utilize the Ki-27 Nate and A6M2 Zero, and again will have to check to see what/if they upgrade at all to.

I'm finding PDU OFF a good way to learn the pitfalls of Japanese aircraft production, but also extremely frustrating. Multiple dead ends in aircraft upgrade paths for a large number of air units, a large number of air units that can never upgrade at all, extremely limited number of Sentai's I can equip with the best aircraft available for any giving time period (I can only equip 2 1/2 Sentai's with the Tojo IIa for all of 1942 and early 1943 until the IIb is produced) and now having to potentially equip large numbers of air units with obsolete aircraft as late as 1945.

Something tells me I'll never play a PDU OFF game again.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Lily IIa ---> Lily IIb

Post by PaxMondo »

PDU OFF is tough, but remember, many times once you upgrade, more upgrade paths become available that weren't previously able to be seen.  Really.  For example, a lot of IJN fighter groups won't show George in their upgrade path until you have upgraded them to A6M5 ... all of a sudden you can now upgrade them to George.  Many other examples.  There are still a few that do not upgrade at all.  Obviously, these are relegated to training and/or kami groups depending upon what they are.
 
I beleive that groups arrive with a/c, even if you have not built them; it won't prevent the groups from arriving.  Once they do, you can upgrade as they allow.  For PDU OFF, you really have to look carefully at each group in Tracker and plan out each groups upgrade path and timeline carefully.  Very tedious, but it is the only way to maximize your groups.
Pax
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan.3/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 3/43:

Sub Ops:

SS Pike is attacked by DD Makinami near Torishima in open seas and takes one direct DC and two near miss hits. A rare pre-emptive detection and damaging ASW attack against the enemy.

Burma:

Reinforcements have arrived at Bhamo. The last component of the 5th Division and an RF Gun unit will arrive within a week. No Allied air activity other than recon and no new movement of Allied troops. I may begin a flanking move against Bhamo to rattle the cage. I think the Allies may make a move against the hex directly east of Mandalay once again in an effort to draw troops away from Lashio and Bhamo. I have to be careful here, too much strength committed to Bhamo could leave Mandalay and area vulnerable.

China:

Both Chihkiang's and Changteh's airbases attacked today while the bombers set to ground attack failed to fly at all. Changteh received 15 AB, 7 ABS and 75 Runway hits. Chihkiang was lightly damaged with only 1 ABS and 14 Runway hits.

I've begun marching from Hengyang against the large enemy formation S.E. of Chihkiang. I'm also moving in the north against small Chinese forces around Ankang. I'm testing the waters here and want to see what Bart does with his large 53 unit horde.

Truk:

The base is a beehive of activity these days. KB and the majority of the Combined Fleet still sit idle, but the merchant navy is busy moving supplies, troops and fuel throughout the region. Kwajalein is being reinforced and small SCTF's are being positioned to start making life difficult for the Allies. Still taking my time here and I will not be moving against the enemy in force until February. There is still much to do. I may have left myself a little thin in the destroyer department, but a number of them will complete refits in a week. After that I'll be getting a steady stream of DD's redeployed every 10 days or so and the last batch will be ready to escort CV Taiho to Truk.

My spidey sense is tingling though. Tabiteuea is quiet, but there is a lot of air recon and submarine activity around Tulagi and Munda. The next Allied push? I'm moving in some better air units with ASW experience to start interdicting enemy submarines. I'm starting to reposition mine in a picket line to try and get some early warning of an Allied move against Tulagi. If the Allies hit me in the next 30 days I'll regret the decision to send so many DD's back for refits. Time will tell.

DEI:

I'm a little concerned here. I've stripped a lot of LBA away and have the majority of my fleet stationed at Singapore. There is a lot of base expansions in Australia from Perth to Darwin on the Allied side. It's going to be time to take a look at increasing defensive measures. I'm going to start by sending a lot of merchant TF's around to increase the activity level for Allied recon and sigint. I want to give the impression I think something is up, even though I have nothing new to add to the defence. At least I'll increase supply of prominent bases. I might redeploy some training bomber Sentai's forward to give the impression I'm reinforcing the theatre. These Sentai's are all Lily's training in ASW and Naval Bombing, so no real threat.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Osaka/Kyoto expands airfield to size 9
Manus expands airfield to size 3
Ruteng expands fortifications to size 3

Allied:

Perth expands airfield to size 5

Industry:

I've practically turned back on all my air production except for a few airframes and one engine type, and I'm still producing over 6k surplus of HI a day. I'm increasing the production of a number of aircraft and engine types. I've decided engines are money in the bank, as many have pointed out, and reversed an earlier decision to hold numbers constant. As I increase air production I'm turning off some naval shipyards. I'm going to continue to tweak things, but my goal is to try and see if I can get close to producing around 8k surplus of HI daily for a short period. I'm also going to get more fuel/oil to the Home Islands, this will be augmented by a number of new tankers having recently been completed and more arriving over the coming weeks.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan.4/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 4/43:

Sub Ops:

SS S-27 hits xAK Yamahagi Maru with one torpedo near Long Island. Heavy damage, but depending on damage control she might reach port. [:D] Ya right!

China:

The bombers flew today. Chinese troops suffer 1(14) infantry and 0(22) non-combat squad losses in two separate attacks. 190 bombers at 6k with light cloud. I just hope they are being disrupted and the disablements are mounting. Not holding my breath.

Chihkiang's airbase hit for 2 AB, 3 ABS and 11 Runway hits, while Changteh suffers 11 AB, 6 ABS and 40 Runway hits.

DEI:

B-17E's (36) hit the oilfield at Babo resulting in 20 Oil hits. Sigh, another glaring weakeness as I had no CAP. I've put Nick's on LRCAP from Saumlaki.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Fusan expands airfield to size 6
Christmas Island IO expands airfield to size 2

DD Akizuki beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Teruzuki beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Susuzuki beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Hatsuzuki beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Naganami beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Natsushio beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Tanikaze beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe
DD Samidare beginning refit in shipyard at Kobe

KA Air.Photo.Unit converting to Ki-46-III Dinah

TK Takane Maru arrives at Maizuru

Allied:

Adak Island expands airfield to size 4

Thoughts:

I'm so hooped. [:D]

The bombing at Babo is a huge wakeup call and a comment by Mike Solli in his AAR has me rethinking my planned operations against Tabiteuea. I think I may be better served shoring up the DEI and the Kuriles. I have a real sense I'm playing into the hands of the enemy by focusing on the Southeast Pacific. I'm going to rethink things over the next few days.

I should start adapting my defensive strategy on what I think the Allies will actually do knowing how Bart plays the game. He likes to bomb, from a distance. He doesn't like to bomb troops, he likes to bomb oil. He likes mass, which translates into one target at a time. He likes Burma, doesn't have to lose ships. He has numerous LOCs he can use, it will be impossible for me to disrupt any planned moves on his side short of invading something important.

Pago Pago at this stage is a pipe dream. I need to eliminate as many possible routes of advance as I can and ones that offer the Allies as little logistic support as possible. It may be time for preemptive measures rather than offensive operations I should have done 6 months ago.

Guess what...probably another change of plans [:D]. I so suck at this [8|]. At least this may make more sense, I need to do what is best for the prosecution of the war and the Southeast Pacific doesn't do squat to help that.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by PaxMondo »

I would agree.  You really need to take stock of the attack routes and your defenses.  Be sure you have enough trip wires to alert you to potential attacks, and the reaction forces available to do something about it.  It's '43 now and for most IJ games, your time of expansion is at an end.  The allies are starting to get too many toys.
Pax
User avatar
Crackaces
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I would agree.  You really need to take stock of the attack routes and your defenses.  Be sure you have enough trip wires to alert you to potential attacks, and the reaction forces available to do something about it.  It's '43 now and for most IJ games, your time of expansion is at an end.  The allies are starting to get too many toys.

Pax .. I think this is the most intersting part of the game and in reading the recent AAR's where the IJ player seems to have the most difficulty. The transition from offense to defense with the driving force that losing the offensive inititiative means losing the war but in this strategy contnues until a disaster occurs. Then the Allies force the issue is a location where the IJ are not ... and the onslaught begins ....The RL IJ had the same problem. Except in RL the Allies had MacArthur who helped the IJ tremendously [;)]

I do believe you have an excellent point and that is the Allies get too many toys, and I think even an incompetent boob like myself can take this stuff to Tokyo Bay [:D] It seems that lasting until 1946 requires some transition point to defense and 1943 seems in my sophomoric view the most optimium period -- before the Allies force the issue.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by PaxMondo »

Look at PzB's AAR. He is a master at the transition. Cap and Gown was also doing great until that game ended. Stoneage, even though he lost, was prolly the best though. He lost the KB in early '42 and still made it deep into '45. Look at his AAR to see how he managed to last so long. Brilliant work.
Pax
User avatar
Crackaces
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by Crackaces »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Look at PzB's AAR. He is a master at the transition. Cap and Gown was also doing great until that game ended. Stoneage, even though he lost, was prolly the best though. He lost the KB in early '42 and still made it deep into '45. Look at his AAR to see how he managed to last so long. Brilliant work.

I am assuming for the reader this AAR (tm.asp?m=2324032&mpage=106) PzB vs. Andy Mac ?
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I agree, expansion time is over. For me it isn't even a wish to grab more territory, but rather a desire to come to grips with the enemy before they are simply too strong. Against this particular opponent that meant having to attack him and I just didn't see any means of bringing him to battle. I think a lot of Japanese players make the error that Crackaces points out, attacking until there is a disaster and then it all falls apart.

As Crackaces also implies, it doesn't take a genius to win the game as the Allies. Maybe a lot of Japanese players just need to realize that against unaggressive Allied opponents the game can be brutally boring, but you shouldn't sacrifice your side just to get some enjoyment from the game and hand over a freebie. So if you end up digging in and having to wait, then that's all there is to it. I won't go into my thoughts about this matchup again as they are well documented.

I'm very disappointed in my performance and it's been a frustrating game. I have to realize it's my first one, but that doesn't make it easier to swallow when it has taken literally years to get to the current position. It's unfortunate that you learn so much when it is already too late to change things, but that's the nature of this beast.

Ok, the pity party is over, what to do about the current situation.

The objective is get the DEI in order. I'll be transferring LCU's from Truk and Ponape back to the DEI. Air units will follow. I will strengthen the Kuriles, but will probably rule out any invasion of the Aleutians. It may be worthwhile mounting some form of offensive against Northern Australia. I think it best just to get things in order in the Gilbert's and Marshall's, while concentrating on the DEI and Burma/China for the real threats the Allies pose there.

Denying Bart key islands for a bombing campaign against the Home Islands and the oil production facilities should be my main focus. I may not have the troops there, but at least I've been building up airfields and fortifications all along.

The next turn is sent already, so just awaiting its return. I hope to intercept Allied bombers if they target Babo again. I also have a small SCTF attempting to hit Ndeni as there are three enemy transports currently located there. I definitely will be sending out combat ships now on a regular basis to try and disrupt Allied operations. KB will stay at Truk and attack the enemy if given the opportunity. I think Tulagi is next on the Allied agenda. In China the plan is to shorten the line by capturing Changteh, then I will see about winding things down in order to start buying out units for the Pacific. Too much time has been wasted in China to knock her out of the war.

As you can see, I've gotten back to providing daily updates, but I'd like to ask people following along if there's anything they'd like to know at all? Is there any information I'm not providing that you might be interested in? I certainly know I talk too much at times, often saying nothing new in far too many ways. [:D]

Catch you later with the next turn update. [8D]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

What's an effective range to set bombardment missions at to avoid all but the heaviest coastal guns? I see 30k mentioned a lot, is it really that far out to be safe? I'm thinking 20k initially, too close?
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by PaxMondo »

It really depends upon the CD. Check the starting groups, or what you think they might have there. Ranges vary tremendously. Take a look at the CD's at Yokohama. You'd have to be nuts to go after those unless they were disabled from air suppression.
Pax
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Look at PzB's AAR. He is a master at the transition. Cap and Gown was also doing great until that game ended. Stoneage, even though he lost, was prolly the best though. He lost the KB in early '42 and still made it deep into '45. Look at his AAR to see how he managed to last so long. Brilliant work.
Don't know / can't comment about Stoneage's AAR, as I've never read it, but agree with PaxMondo re: the other two. My personal hero was always Cap_N_Gown-he did a masterful job of 'bringing it'...right up until the point where he left the game...[:(]
Image
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.4/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Look at PzB's AAR. He is a master at the transition. Cap and Gown was also doing great until that game ended. Stoneage, even though he lost, was prolly the best though. He lost the KB in early '42 and still made it deep into '45. Look at his AAR to see how he managed to last so long. Brilliant work.
Don't know / can't comment about Stoneage's AAR, as I've never read it, but agree with PaxMondo re: the other two. My personal hero was always Cap_N_Gown-he did a masterful job of 'bringing it'...right up until the point where he left the game...[:(]

I find Stoneage's AAR too depressing. [:D] Too many simularities with my game in terms of poor Japanese submarine performance compared to Allied in 1942 for one example.

PzB's is a fine example, but I think not a fair comparison. That is Scenario 2 and PDU ON, a heck of a lot different capabilities then Scenario 1 and PDU OFF. I know what you both are saying though. Don't mind me, I over analyze to the point of inertia. It will all be good once I put a fish or two into an enemy CV. [8D]

Still waiting on the turn. It's sad when you get anxious and possibly excited about a chance to sink three transports. [8|]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”