Lambs to the slaughter (Lowpe (J) vs Jocke; BillBrown (A)) Finished

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Almost the End of July 1942

Allies send CAP to different bases I have been bombing....the venerable A6M2 makes some long range sweeps. So far, Jocke has stayed out of Tojo IIa range.



Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (332.6 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Good results...[:)]

Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Another assault, rebuffed by the Chinese again.

Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Our flanking positions are secured for Noumea.



Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (225.05 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

A quiet day here, almost all forces in India are in SR mode or one day away, and we will fall back to better defensive terrain, and pursue the conquest of Ledo vigorously.

Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (375.98 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Nice sweeps of Nelson, a resource rich province in Canada.



Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
el lobo
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Khon Kaen, Thailand (orig: Sacramento, CA)

RE: Manila Falls

Post by el lobo »

I sit here reading your AAR and just shake my head in amazement. How do you do all of this stuff and more importantly, how do you make Japan do all of this stuff?

Awesome playing on your part, great game, and fantastic AAR. Thanks for taking the time to do this and passing on your knowledge.
El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

Jocke is away for a week or so enjoying the Holidays...

And my family is home from all assignments till New Years...

so it will be a while before we crank thru another turn.

I have the turn, and will be working on the tactics needed as I am now rolling over into four areas:

1. Destruction of Ledo pocket.
2. Capture of Noumea. Which may or may not be pursued vigorously depending upon what the Allies do.
3. Prep for San Diego.
4. Continuing attacks in China.



User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: el lobo

I sit here reading your AAR and just shake my head in amazement. How do you do all of this stuff and more importantly, how do you make Japan do all of this stuff?

Awesome playing on your part, great game, and fantastic AAR. Thanks for taking the time to do this and passing on your knowledge.

Really, no credit here. Olorin did all the heavy lifting.[&o]
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

A look at the A6M5...will roll into production tomorrow with a size 60 factory.

The A6M3a will also start production tomorrow with all the A6M3 factories upgrading to it.

That will leave 6 factories r&d the A6M5b and later models. I thought long and hard about switching the other size 60 factory to production, and now think I may have made a slight blunder not doing it.

However, the reason I didn't want to do it was engine consumption (2 per day as opposed to 1 per day in r&d) and the extra 2% r&d per day for the latter Zeroes. Since I pretty much have to r&d one model after the other. In hindsight, I think I may need the A6M5 in greater numbers for the West Coast Operation.

So in this game, I need to get the A6M8 to insure plentiful squadrons can be upgraded to the Sam, but I will need a lot of fighters for the San Diego operation.

Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

... but I will need a lot of fighters for the San Diego operation.

a ton of'em ... or more.

Pax
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

The next fighter to look forward to & should be available for the San Diego thrust.

I have no experience flying the Tojo IIb and I am looking forward to them. A couple extra squadrons can upgrade to this model, giving me more Tojo squadrons flying, and that can only be a good thing.

The Tony, only two squadrons (that were previously Nates), & will go to the SRA/Burma area to fly CAP over the oil wells. Ultimately, the Tony will prove to be a valuable plane with 10 squadrons flying the latter models, but again, I have to research every model in the line sequentially. What a pain.[8|]



Image
Attachments
1k8.jpg
1k8.jpg (102.32 KiB) Viewed 300 times
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The next fighter to look forward to & should be available for the San Diego thrust.

I have no experience flying the Tojo IIb and I am looking forward to them. A couple extra squadrons can upgrade to this model, giving me more Tojo squadrons flying, and that can only be a good thing.

The Tony, only two squadrons (that were previously Nates), & will go to the SRA/Burma area to fly CAP over the oil wells. Ultimately, the Tony will prove to be a valuable plane with 10 squadrons flying the latter models, but again, I have to research every model in the line sequentially. What a pain.[8|]



Image

But it is so incredibly worth it. The Ki-100-I is my best fighter, IMO. Workhorse.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The next fighter to look forward to & should be available for the San Diego thrust.

I have no experience flying the Tojo IIb and I am looking forward to them.

Well, prepare to be disappointed. [:(]


Those 40mm cannons are basically useless, so figure the plane is under gunned with only 2x12.7mm CL. Very much like your Oscars.
The Tony a is the same thing. Those rifle caliber MG's in the wings just don't count much, so again it is just 2x12.7mm CL. At least the Tony is armored, so your pilots are on even footing with the allies. Get prepared for the SR3 though ... don't send this to small AF's ...
Pax
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

I think the D tony has cl cannons...but for now the Tony will guard the oil from an expected carrier raid.

NJP has good things to say about the Tojo IIb, but I have my doubts.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11281
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

NJP has good things to say about the Tojo IIb, but I have my doubts.
Gary has put enough randomness into the outcomes that any fighter can have a good day, and players tend to remember those wonderfull outcomes: 12 Jugs for only 6 Tony's.
But day in and day out ...

Some players are also content with 1:3 ... I'm not. even late game, I'm not. So very different perspective.
Pax
Alfred
Posts: 6683
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Jocke is away for a week or so enjoying the Holidays...

And my family is home from all assignments till New Years...

so it will be a while before we crank thru another turn.

I have the turn, and will be working on the tactics needed as I am now rolling over into four areas:

1. Destruction of Ledo pocket.
2. Capture of Noumea. Which may or may not be pursued vigorously depending upon what the Allies do.
3. Prep for San Diego.
4. Continuing attacks in China.




Assume #1, #2 and #4 fall primarily within overall strategy to

(a) mask from enemy the main schwerpunkt, which is San Diego operation in late, late 1942 to achieve 1 Jan 1943 auto victory

(b) encourages enemy to disperse forces away from main schwerpunkt which can not subsequently be brought back to defend San Diego as quickly as you can redeploy using your advantage of interior lines

If assumption is incorrect then I fail to see how it really assists the forthcoming main schwerpunkt as it disperses your own forces to strategically not important targets.

OTOH if the overall strategy is to achieve an auto victory in 1944, the value of a late 1942 San Diego grab needs to be re-examined. For example it might be better to let the Allies become dominant in India + SoPac and elsewhere whilst you keep your reserves safe for a 1943 West Coast landing when that area has been denuded of Allied troops which have been sent to achieve the aforementioned Allied superiority.

Alfred
User avatar
Lokasenna
Posts: 9304
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:57 am
Location: Iowan in MD/DC

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Jocke is away for a week or so enjoying the Holidays...

And my family is home from all assignments till New Years...

so it will be a while before we crank thru another turn.

I have the turn, and will be working on the tactics needed as I am now rolling over into four areas:

1. Destruction of Ledo pocket.
2. Capture of Noumea. Which may or may not be pursued vigorously depending upon what the Allies do.
3. Prep for San Diego.
4. Continuing attacks in China.




Assume #1, #2 and #4 fall primarily within overall strategy to

(a) mask from enemy the main schwerpunkt, which is San Diego operation in late, late 1942 to achieve 1 Jan 1943 auto victory

(b) encourages enemy to disperse forces away from main schwerpunkt which can not subsequently be brought back to defend San Diego as quickly as you can redeploy using your advantage of interior lines

If assumption is incorrect then I fail to see how it really assists the forthcoming main schwerpunkt as it disperses your own forces to strategically not important targets.

OTOH if the overall strategy is to achieve an auto victory in 1944, the value of a late 1942 San Diego grab needs to be re-examined. For example it might be better to let the Allies become dominant in India + SoPac and elsewhere whilst you keep your reserves safe for a 1943 West Coast landing when that area has been denuded of Allied troops which have been sent to achieve the aforementioned Allied superiority.

Alfred

Devious... shhh! I might want to do that someday!


I agree RE: Noumea, unless it's to keep Joc's attention in SOPAC in some way. Ledo and China don't have to detract from the effort on San Diego (or LA), but they might if you aren't careful.
User avatar
Olorin
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: Greece

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Olorin »

Months ago (game time) I was hoping that China could be finished before autumn ends so that the unrestricted forces committed there could be made available in time for the WC operation. Is the capture of Chungking likely before October/November? It looks like the collapse of the Chinese Army is imminent.
User avatar
Lowpe
Posts: 24582
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Months ago (game time) I was hoping that China could be finished before autumn ends so that the unrestricted forces committed there could be made available in time for the WC operation. Is the capture of Chungking likely before October/November? It looks like the collapse of the Chinese Army is imminent.


I will be pulling them out no matter the progress. I seriously doubt Chungking falls that early, but perhaps.

But I will be pulling the troops out no matter what for the West Coast operation.

Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”