Empire of the Rising Lemon? SqzMyLemon (Japan) v Smeulders (Allies)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan.5/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 5/43:

Ndeni:

My SCTF raid goes as planned at Ndeni. The CL Sendai, DD Shiratsuyu, DD Shigure and DD Murasame engage three separate Allied TF's and come away unscathed. I didn't expect to encounter SC's or PT's as they were not picked up by naval search. Moonlight was 0% and contributed to two sub chaser's getting away, however there's one less for my submarines to deal with.

I finally get a lick in at the enemy, small fry to be sure, but it still feels pretty good to have a successful surface action.

Action reports:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ndeni at 120,143, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Shigure
DD Murasame

Allied Ships
SC-738, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
SC-741
SC-742

------------------------------------------

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ndeni at 120,143, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Shigure
DD Murasame

Allied Ships
AM Wallaroo, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAK Ohioan, Shell hits 26, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAK Sagadahoc, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AM Bombay, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

------------------------------------------

Day Time Surface Combat, near Reef Islands at 121,142, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Shiratsuyu
DD Shigure
DD Murasame

Allied Ships
PT-31, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT-32, Shell hits 1
PT-33
PT-34
PT-36
PT-37, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

China:

Chinese troops again targeted S.E. of Chihkiang. Poor coordination lead to many small raids inflicting only 0(17) infantry, 0(14) non-combat squads losses.

Chihkiang and Changteh airbases's suffer 1 AB, 1 ABS and 9 Runway hits and 6 AB, 7 ABS and 45 Runway hits respectively.

I will show a screenshot of Southern China next update to show my recent movements. Troops are completely withdrawn back across the river and will redeploy for offensive operations elsewhere. I will leave about 1250-1500 AV to keep the Chinese honest.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

SS I-29 lays minefield at Nanumea - 136 , 141

Wuchang expands airfield to size 7

DD Yugumo beginning refit in shipyard at Hiroshima/Kure
DD Makigumo beginning refit in shipyard at Hiroshima/Kure
DD Makinami beginning refit in shipyard at Hiroshima/Kure
DD Takanami beginning refit in shipyard at Hiroshima/Kure

17th Garrison Unit arrives at Kumamoto (Deploying to the DEI)

Allied:

Katha expands airfield to size 6

Santa Cruz:

Image
Attachments
SantaCruz.jpg
SantaCruz.jpg (137.35 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.5/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Remember me saying I thought I might have left the fleet a little thin in destroyers? I did a quick tally and was surprised to see I had 35 DD's and 2 CL's currently refitting. Another 8 DD's and a CL will arrive in the Home Islands to begin theirs tomorrow. Six DD's and 2 CL's will complete their refits in two days, the rest is as follows.

4x16 days
5x17 days
8x19 days
4x20 days
4x22 days
4x25 days

I'm definitely giving the Allies a chance to catch me unprepared to move against them in the next 21 days if they attack in the Southeast Pacific. However, I'll have completed a great many refits and will be much better shape when the lead starts flying.

I was looking over some aircraft R&D and I should start seeing some airframes advance in the near future. I've tweaked things a bit and I'll be interested to see how my changes affect a few airframes.

The next turn is sent and nothing happening on my end other than bombing Chinese troops and shifting ground units for my operation to isloate and invest Changteh. Allied bombers did not hit Babo again, but the Nick's are still set to LRCAP and are ready. Burma is quiet, but I sense an Allied move or air attack soon.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Jan.5/43

Post by obvert »

Ndeni:

My SCTF raid goes as planned at Ndeni. The CL Sendai, DD Shiratsuyu, DD Shigure and DD Murasame engage three separate Allied TF's and come away unscathed. I didn't expect to encounter SC's or PT's as they were not picked up by naval search. Moonlight was 0% and contributed to two sub chaser's getting away, however there's one less for my submarines to deal with.

I finally get a lick in at the enemy, small fry to be sure, but it still feels pretty good to have a successful surface action.

Might by small fry, but it'l make him jumpy. All future supply runs will need more protection. The more of these you run the more he'll have to scramble to provide adequate cover, and especially if it happens occasionally far from your bases.

I still think about CanoeRebel's DD raid to the HI of Japan in early 42 in his game with Q-Ball. Talk about putting a wrench in the works!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan.6/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 6/43:

Pretty quiet turn, but then again not surprising.

Sub ops:

A Japanese ASW TF spots SS Sargo near Ponape. E Hayabusa attacks with one direct and a near miss DC hit. The number of direct DC hits against the enemy is slowly increasing.

China:

Only the bombing missions against the airfields flew today, once again the attacks on the infantry were grounded. Chihkiang's damage was 4 AB, 4 ABS and 9 Runway hits. Changteh's was 14 AB, 5 ABS and 38 runway hits.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Ichang expands airfield to size 2
Zamboanga expands fortifications to size 2
Christmas Island IO expands fortifications to size 3
Changsha expands airfield to size 6
Ankang expands fortifications to size 4

Device NE turbojet advances R&D

E W-14 taken out of commission to begin refit at Ponape
E W-15 taken out of commission to begin refit at Ponape

Hosho-1 converting to A6M3a Zero

Allied:

Nothing
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.5/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

Might by small fry, but it'l make him jumpy. All future supply runs will need more protection. The more of these you run the more he'll have to scramble to provide adequate cover, and especially if it happens occasionally far from your bases.

Hi obvert, thanks for posting.

That is certainly the intent. The Allies' have had a free go of it here, allowed to build up unmolested to this point. It seems like the timing is right for me to begin raiding. As the Allies prepare to make their next moves, they will have to start worrying about supply LOC's, something they are probably not prepared for at this stage. If I can draw any forces away from the sharp end of the Allied stick it will be a good thing.

I'll use small expendable TF's to cause what damage they can. If they are effective and draw out larger enemy forces, I may try and bait the Allies' into an ambush where I can defeat them in detail with carriers or supporting surface forces lying just over the horizon. It's the LBA I'm worried about if I get too close.

Might be time for a CVL raid west of Australia to see if I can catch a weakly escorted supply TF.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan.7-8/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 7/43:

China:

The bombers flew today against Chinese troops S.E. of Chihkiang. The raids all coordinated for the most part with 173 bombers hitting in the first wave and 41 more in the second. Chinese suffered 0(18) infantry, 0(10) non-combat and 0(1) engineer squads lost. If only the Chinese were in x2 terrain they'd be taking a beating, x3 is just too much protection for them. I can only hope disruption and disablements are slow to recover.

Chihkiang's airbase damaged for 1 AB, 3 ABS and 20 Runway hits. Changteh's airbased damaged for 3 AB, 3 ABS and 26 Runway hits.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Great Nicobar expands fortifications to size 5
Sian expands airfield to size 4
Sining expands fortifications to size 1
Bihoro expands fortifications to size 4

59th Sentai/B converting to Ki-43-IIa Oscar

Allied:

Port Hedland expands airfield to size 3

Jan. 8/43:

Sub Ops:

SS Wahoo duds on xAK Anyo Maru near Kanoya.
SS Kingfish duds on DD Shimakaze near Babeldoab.

China:

Ground bombing near Chihkiang results in 0(5) infantry, 0(6) non-combat squads lost in three disjointed raids. Poor results to say the least, but weather was severe storms. Something tells me all this bombing is not being effective at all, the proof will be in the pudding when the first Deliberate Attack is launched.

Chihkiang's airbase damaged for 2 AB, 2 ABS and 23 Runway hits. Changteh's damaged for 2 AB, 2 ABS and 19 Runway hits.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Naha expands port to size 4

CL Nagara beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Akatsuki beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Inazuma beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Isonami beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Hatsuyuki beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Amagiri beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Oboro beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Akebono beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto
DD Sazanami beginning refit in shipyard at Osaka/Kyoto

TK Kyoie Maru arrives at Nagoya

Allied:

Nothing

Here is a current screenshot of Southern China as promised:

Image
Attachments
SouthernChina010943.jpg
SouthernChina010943.jpg (279.03 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Jan.7-8/43

Post by obvert »

I'm finding PDU OFF a good way to learn the pitfalls of Japanese aircraft production, but also extremely frustrating. Multiple dead ends in aircraft upgrade paths for a large number of air units, a large number of air units that can never upgrade at all, extremely limited number of Sentai's I can equip with the best aircraft available for any giving time period (I can only equip 2 1/2 Sentai's with the Tojo IIa for all of 1942 and early 1943 until the IIb is produced) and now having to potentially equip large numbers of air units with obsolete aircraft as late as 1945.

Something tells me I'll never play a PDU OFF game again.

Just looking back I saw this. I'm sure you will feel like you're stepped from a Hyundai to a Ferrari when you play with PDU on! It'll really let you plan and choose and have MORE FUN with your air forces. Although this is a good challenge, and helps you understand even better what the problems were for Japan in the war.

About China. It looks like you might be close to a 3 to 1 advantage in the hex south of Chihkiang. I wouldn't DA unless you're absolutely sure they're disrupted and that you're at least 3 to 1 in AV. That's tough territory. If he has been there a while and there are forts, you may not be able to punch through for a good long time.

How much does he have on the road up from Liuchow to Tuyun?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.7-8/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: obvert

About China. It looks like you might be close to a 3 to 1 advantage in the hex south of Chihkiang. I wouldn't DA unless you're absolutely sure they're disrupted and that you're at least 3 to 1 in AV. That's tough territory. If he has been there a while and there are forts, you may not be able to punch through for a good long time.

How much does he have on the road up from Liuchow to Tuyun?

Hi obvert,

I've learned my lesson fighting the Chinese in rough terrain. I will not attack prior to my additional 1500 AV arriving and the artillery. I'm counting on no fewer than 2000-2500 AV worth of Chinese troops there. Until then I'll sit and bomb daily with aircraft. I want them good and disrupted before I even think of attacking. When the artillery arrives I'll be able to better judge my chances after a bombardment. If some squads are destroyed I'll know they are hurting and will attack. The enemy units haven't been there long either, at best they will be level 2 forts.

The 9 and 15 unit stacks previously were combined at Chihkiang and Bart split them apart. That's the reason I decided to go after them, divide and conquer more managable concentrations of the enemy.

The Chinese force between Luichow and Tuyun is 16 units strong. There are two units at Tuyun and an additional seven across the river to the N.E. of the base. I know Tuyun has supply drawing issues which is why the Chinese troops are not occupying the base. I actually plan on trying to push both around Changteh and Tuyun. It all depends on how this new attack goes, Changteh first though.

I'm making moves in the north as well, but will await some results before I post anything.

PDU OFF is just something I'm not enjoying. I'm all for an accurate historical base, but being limited to what the units were at the time kind of forces you to make the same mistake the Japanese did in terms of aircraft production and how these aircraft were used. Japanese bombers are ineffective as it is, and to be continually limited the longer the war goes on isn't something I'm looking forward to. Just for example, I only have one Sentai capable of using the Helen 1a for all of 1942, so my best bomber is available, yet I only can use 27 of them at a time. It won't be until the Tojo IIb and next Helen variant is available that I'll finally have a little more flexibility.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Jan.7-8/43

Post by obvert »

All makes sense.

As for the Helens, and other planes. Would it make sense to just go crazy with R n D? Literally invest more in that than in your production? So turn off things like the Sonia and Nates and let them run down, taking from training groups as needed until only a few were left in the groups. Then using the extra HI to push more research, getting some later war planes earlier.

Not sure at all this is viable, just thinking out loud. If the 1Es don't work, and just drain trained pilots and HI, then maybe choose not to use many bomber groups and train a huge number of pilots for later when you might be able to use better planes?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Jan.7-8/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

obvert,

Yes. In hindsight with PDU OFF I'd invest more in R&D than production. I was all bright eyed and bushy tailed to crank out A6M2's, Tojo's and Helen's then realized two things. First, my opponent doesn't like to take air losses so air combat has been minimal, therefore my production was way over what was required to replace combat losses. Second, most of my units couldn't use all these new shiny aircraft I'd produced anyway.

I also didn't fully understand the upgrade paths of certain airframes, so mistakes were made. For example I over produced the A6M2 Zero thinking I could simply switch the production over to the A6M3 when available for free. Nope. [8|] I'm like a lot of people, I learn best through my mistakes unfortunately and have made plenty this game. I've recently retooled my R&D to try and get the some better late war aircaft early and unfortunately that will spell a delay with additional HI and supply expenditure added on.

So to answer your question...yes! PDU OFF I'd recommend an R&D first approach over production of early aircraft, but do your homework to see what airframes you are able to utilize the most. I'm essentially R&D'ing most things anyway as I need to maximize my capabilities as much as possible simply because I have units that only use certain aircraft. It won't pay off for most first generation airframes, but I'm in a position where I should start to see many more airframes advanced in the near future of second generation airframes.

I still produce Sonia's as they are needed, a lot of frontline units require them. They bomb strictly in China and are used as trainers for restricted HQ's. They train up nicely bombing the Chinese so that essentially is a training program that also inflicts damage on the enemy. I don't lose many pilots in China as there has been no sighting of a Chinese aircraft in 9 months, just Ops losses which are bad enough. [8|] All other Sonia's, Ida's and Ann's are training units and there's a fair number of them. I'm training Kamikazes in low naval attack and a number in ASW. Any type of ground bombing training is a waste of time in my opinion as Japan's bombers suck. Any ground bombing units train on the job instead of wasting valuable training slots for more valuable skills.

I've actually just put a freeze on all production expansion, except what's already been ordered, to maximise potential R&D factory repair. I'm curious to see the results.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Fluff

Post by SqzMyLemon »

No turn forthcoming from Bart tonight, usually Wednesday's and Friday's he has RL commitments. We have picked up the pace of the game lately which is nice. It would be great to have 1943 move along quickly, keeping a flow to the game.

I forgot to mention last turn two CL's and 6 DD's rejoined the fleet after completing refits in Hiroshima. They will sail to Kobe to escort the CVL Ryuho to Truk.

So with no turn tonight I will be having a relaxing evening working on a model kit. Too many hobbies, so little time! Enjoy the weekend everyone. [8D]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
obvert
Posts: 14051
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am
Location: PDX (and now) London, UK

RE: Fluff

Post by obvert »

What model are you making?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Fluff

Post by SqzMyLemon »

obvert,

I'm working on a few here. I have a bet with my spouse that I will finish 5 models before July 11th, so far I'm dragging my butt. I'm a notorious buy more than I build kind of modeller. I'm working on the battleship King George V, a Ki-46 Dinah III, a couple of german panzers and a WW1 Biplane. So I nerd it up on a regular basis here. WitP AE has definitely cut into my model time though, not many kits finished over the last two years. [:(]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan 9/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 9/43:

Sub Ops:

SS S-18 misses xAP Montevideo Maru near Umboi Island. The DD Kisaragi responds with 4 near miss hits causing damage.

China:

Bombing more effective today in moderate rain. Enemy troops near Chihkiang suffer 0(19) infantry and 0(7) non-combat squad losses.

Chihkiang's airbase takes 2 AB, 2 ABS and 8 Runway hits, while Changteh takes 7 AB, 7 ABS and 23 Runway hits.

Solomons:

Allied B-17E's (21) escorted by Hudson III (LR)'s (12) hit Lunga today targeting the troops. Ki-46-IIIb's (3) on LRCAP inflicted no losses on the enemy. Ground troops suffered one disabled support squad. Weather was severe storms.

So, is Munda or Tulagi the next target? I would hazard a guess yes. This is the first time the ground troops have been targeted and the airfield service facilities are trashed, but airfield damage is only at 9 now. The Allies are allowing me to repair the field which tells me an invasion is close because they want the airfield in use quickly after capture. I have only token forces on Munda and Tulagi is abandoned. I'll lose 25k in supplies if Munda is captured. There's been some heavy radio traffic at Sydney and area to also support an invasion. If so, good timing on Bart's part catching me refitting a large number of ships. I should be in good shape to still sortie the Combined Fleet though, but I'll be sending as many additional DD's to Truk as possible. In fact, the CVL Ryuho, 3 CL's and 11 DD's will leave for Truk today from Kobe. A new DD arrives tomorrow as well. CV Taiho and a new CL are 30 days away.

I will fuel up, increase my air and naval ASW activity to clear the lanes of enemy submarines and seek battle against the Allied Fleet, IF I can gain a tactical advantage or anything less then the kitchen sink is brought by the Allies. If it indeed sorties against Munda, I'll look for any weakness and strike. All my submarines in the area are vectoring to various positions south of Munda. I think the main enemy naval force will sail directly from Sydney, or Noumea or both. An Allied ASW patrol is within range of Shortlands, so I've ordered Betty's on naval attack to be escorted by Zero's at a range of 14 hexes, I doubt they'll fly from that distance, but if anything comes closer I have a shot at them. Unless it's an Allied CV force then I'm just dead [:D]. Now I just await developments and see if the Allies are indeed coming.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

Nothing

Allied:

Nothing
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

NFL

Post by SqzMyLemon »

On a non-game note.

[font="Times New Roman"]Go Patriots![/font]

Nice to see Tom Brady remind people there was another QB playing in the game last night, and one who is better than Tebow ever will be. Wow, where did that Patriot defence come from? [&o]

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Jan. 10/43

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Jan. 10/43:

Sub Ops:


SS Shad sinks E Hayabusa with one torpedo hit near Truk. A blow to Japanese ASW efforts.

E Otori spots SS KXVII near Mussau Island and inflicts a direct DC and 3 near miss hits on the enemy submarine.

Burma:

All the components of the 5th Division have reached Bhamo. That brings strength up to two full divisions. Level 3 forts are at 99% completion.

China:

Chinese troops near Chihkiang are bombed for 0(5) infantry, 0(12) non-combat and 0(2) engineer squad losses. Poor results compared to yesterday.

Chihkiang's airbase was not hit today due to weather. Changteh's airbase suffers 14 AB, 9 ABS and 27 Runway hits.

I'm awaiting the arrival of the 51st Division and additional artillery units which should arrive in 3-4 days. I will then recon by bombardment and decide whether to launch an assault or wait upon additional troops.

Miscellaneous:

Japan:

DD Wakazuki arrives at Kobe (en route to Truk)

65th Sentai arrives at Hankow (Bought out from 2nd Air Division in Manchuria)

Allied:

Nothing

Thoughts:

There is increased enemy submarine activity around Truk and the Solomons. I think a new enemy amphibious operation is highly likely and Bart is starting to screen for my CV's and surface ships. Losing the E Hayabusa is unfortunate, especially when it was vectored onto an enemy submarine sighting provided by air ASW the previous day. Never good when the hunter becomes the hunted.

I just bought out the 2nd Mobile Artillery Rgt. from Manchuria, all the components of the 2nd Tank Division are now free to reform once re-united.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
jeffk3510
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Kansas

RE: NFL

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

On a non-game note.

[font="Times New Roman"]Go Patriots![/font]

Nice to see Tom Brady remind people there was another QB playing in the game last night, and one who is better than Tebow ever will be. Wow, where did that Patriot defence come from? [&o]


I am so glad we don't have to hear about Tebow as much until the Super Bowl is over.... I am so sick of him...

Having Tim Tebow be your starter, is like having a staff ace who can't throw strikes...
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: NFL

Post by SqzMyLemon »

In Tebow's defence, he is a rookie after all and was completely overmatched. However, I found the NFL and media's coverage of him simply nauseating. The excuses for poor play and even poorer decision making had me speechless at times. They force fed Tebow on everyone and then ended up having to make excuses for him whenever he lost or looked like the clueless rookie he is. In further defence of Tebow, he didn't deserve that kind of attention. I'm sure the pressure on him was immense to try to live up to everyone's expectations.

I just don't get all the love for Tebow. He'll be like every other running QB that's appeared in the league, he'll have his moment in the sun dazzling everyone with his onfield running ability, but then defences will adjust and show how one dimensional his play is. When the game is on the line and you need a winning pass/catch consistently, give me a Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees any day over a run first QB. When they turned Michael Vick into a passer he became a good/great QB, until they do the same with Tebow...well...Kordell Stewart anyone? At this stage he's mediocre at best.

I just wish they would have given Brady a shot at seven touchdown passes to set the record. As a three time Super Bowl winner and MVP of the league twice, I'm glad he used the Tebow hype to put in one of the best playoff performances in the history of the game. The one they should have been talking about was him.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: NFL

Post by Chickenboy »

Weighing in on Tebowmania here:

Agree with everything you've said. Media has been fawning over him in a nauseating show. He seems like a nice enough guy, but he ain't "there" yet as a QB.

What I found so particularly annoying was the focus on him as the sole winner of these close games. No one really cared or harped about how good the Denver defense was playing, holding opponents to-what-13 points for many games? Had I been on the "D", I would have been seriously pissed.
Image
User avatar
jeffk3510
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 am
Location: Kansas

RE: NFL

Post by jeffk3510 »

Agreed with both of you 100%.

I bleed red over here in Chiefs nation, and my best friend from college would buy the Donkies if he could...

His decision making and throwing skills make me want to puke puke puke!
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”