What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Tankerace
Posts: 5408
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK, United States

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Tankerace »

ORIGINAL: Big B
ORIGINAL: Kevin E. Duguay

M-16 using the new 6.8mm round. One shot one kill.
Hmmm? new round? must read...
(Read articles...done)
About time they started thinking again. I never did like the .223,... I wonder if the Russians will go back to the 7.62x39? - probably not...probably make a new 6.5x39 or something.

Anyway - All Hail the end of the .223! [&o]

B


6.8mm huh? Well, at least they are inching back to 7.62mm... and then they can dump that BS and re adopt the .30-06. Call it the .30-2006.

I have a dummy .223 round on my desk at home. To compare, I have a spent .30-06 shell casing from my grandfather's military funeral salute and a .575cal Mini Ball I use in my '61 Springfield. The .223 is frigging tiny in comparison... I dunno what scares me more, the fact I read where the .223 won't take an enemy down, or just imagining what a big .30-06 or a mini ball could do to somebody. Not pleasent to think about at all...
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

6.8mm huh? Well, at least they are inching back to 7.62mm... and then they can dump that BS and re adopt the .30-06. Call it the .30-2006.

I have a dummy .223 round on my desk at home. To compare, I have a spent .30-06 shell casing from my grandfather's military funeral salute and a .575cal Mini Ball I use in my '61 Springfield. The .223 is frigging tiny in comparison... I dunno what scares me more, the fact I read where the .223 won't take an enemy down, or just imagining what a big .30-06 or a mini ball could do to somebody. Not pleasent to think about at all...
I agree,
Without being Too much of a Ludite, musket/rifle ammunition has been continuously getting smaller since firearms have been developed centuries ago.

By the end of the 19th century-beginning of the 20th century, experts have found that at approximately .30 cal (or 7.62mm) and around 150 grain weight @ 2500 to 2800 fps velocity - the ultimate compromise was reached between range, stopping power, accuracy, and penetration - that a trained rifleman could handle.

Since WWII, I believe, wartime experiences have tried to push the parameters of bullet design even lower - based on many theroies (such as - wounding is as good as killing, the average soldier only really hits a target at around 100 yards, short range barrage fire power is better than long range accuracy and hitting power, etc.).

But having been a U.S. Army rifleman myself (PEACETIME ONLY), with a lot of practical shooting experience with many different weapons - I still believe that there is no real good reason to have general issue infantry rifles at less than full power 7.62, 30-06, .303, 7.92 (etc) auto-loading rifles (insert your national favorite here).

Our predecessors could handle them, and several hundred rounds of ammunition to lug around - I see no reason why today's men cannot be expected to do the same.

My opinion anyway, so Tanker - Yep, I pretty much agree with you.

B

Kevin E. Duguay
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:46 am
Location: Goldsboro, North Carolina

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Kevin E. Duguay »

What's nice about the 6.8mm round is that the only modification to the M16 needed is to switch out the top part of the rifle. This can be done in under 30 seconds in field. The new round also uses the same magazines as the 5.56mm round. The mags just hold a few less rounds. 20-25 in a 30 round mag.

This round is also being introduced to the public with a variety of bullet types.

Might be nice for taking down white tails and varmints.
KED
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Paul Vebber »

The 6.5s are better 5.56 replacement than the 6.8s IMHO

Whether the grendel or MPC turns out better is unclear.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/grendel.htm

http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshoppe ... 15&item=58

http://www.sskindustries.com/6_5mpc.htm

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.ph ... le&sid=970

The MPC cartridge specs out better, but its not been manufactured in quantity yet

Its got as much as 50% more terminal energy than a 5.56, but you only lose 10% of mag capacity for the same weight from 5.56 and (270 vice 300 in a standard load out, vice 175 for 6.8)

That is if I was doing it for the army.

For me myself, I'd take:

Image

This is SSK's new suppressed .510 Whisper® built on the
SAKO TRG-S action. The 750 grain Hornady AMAC bullet is
capable of 1 MOA accuracy at 600 yards. Scope mount is the
SSK T'SOB and the scope is a MK-IV Leupold 16X. SSK chambers
many different .50 caliber cartridges in a large variety of firearms

Image

510 Whisper®
750 Hornady AMAC and 750 grain PPI . . . 1050 FPS.
Suppressed under 126 DB. MOA accuracy at 600 yards.
Kevin E. Duguay
Posts: 563
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:46 am
Location: Goldsboro, North Carolina

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Kevin E. Duguay »

M14  Still very good!!!!![;)]
KED
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”