You will love this game
12.7 Mine Warfare
Minefields are created by DM, ML and SS ships laying a minefield. Multiple minefields can exist in the same hex, and whenever a TF enters a hex with minefields, each minefield in the hex has a chance of causing damage to the ships in the TF. As minefields are detected, the chance they will do damage to enemy Task Forces declines. The greater the number of mines in a minefield,
the greater the chance a mine will hit an enemy ship (there is a small chance that a ship will hit a friendly minefield, but this is very unlikely). Whenever a DMS or MSW ship enters a hex with an enemy minefield, it attempts to clear the minefield by destroying the mines (they can also clear minefields in adjacent hexes if they are patrolling in a Mine Warfare TF).
From the Manual
I would like to add that a red dot appears on the screen once you discover an enemy mine field. You can not forget about them.
Rick
the greater the chance a mine will hit an enemy ship (there is a small chance that a ship will hit a friendly minefield, but this is very unlikely). Whenever a DMS or MSW ship enters a hex with an enemy minefield, it attempts to clear the minefield by destroying the mines (they can also clear minefields in adjacent hexes if they are patrolling in a Mine Warfare TF).
From the Manual
I would like to add that a red dot appears on the screen once you discover an enemy mine field. You can not forget about them.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
US Update
Background: During the battle for Guadalcanal the Japanese (Crocky) pounded the Allied fleet (Me) as it approached the island. Several things drove my strategy. From recon I knew Crocky had 3 coastal defense units on the island and I knew the island was ringed with mines. I decided to land my forces to the east of Lunga, establish a base of operations, and then march on the Lunga. Knowing that I would take heavy loses I made the decision to make one large drive to get my forces ashore. I took several turns to assemble 5 large transport fleets. Three of these carried troops and supplies and the other two just supplies. One fleet carried the Marine Raiders and Paratroopers destined for Tulagi. At the time Crocky and I were battling over Finschafen in New Guinea. I had hoped his air groups would be focused in that area. Up until this point I had been losing about 2:1 in ships. I was down 2 carriers and Crocky had only had 2 damaged. Unwilling to risk my remaining carriers I keep them in port.
Well the first turn I sailed, everything went ok. Only one transport fleet was sighted and attacked. It was at this point that the American Press announced the invasion was on (I posted it on this board). Crocky quickly assembled his carriers and sent them to rain hell down on my fleet. For two turns in a row I lost an average of 20 ships per turn. Fearing that I was losing the game I ordered my carriers to sea. I took one extra turn to position them to the SE knowing that my transports were paying the price. Part of my plan was to weaken his carrier Sqs by flack and operational loses (he didn‘t punch me in the nose I hit his fist with my nose). Well for whatever reason the big carrier battle went totally in my favor. Several Jap carriers were sunk or severely damaged. This put the game back on an even keel. I lost over 90 transports and other ships during this operation, but in the end Guadalcanal and Tulagi were mine. Crocky pulled out some of his troops so the battle for the islands only lasted a few turns.
Current Situation:
Russell Island - I took the Marines on Tulagi and loaded them up on three transports that were half sunk. I like to picture that in my head. Me looking a hard nose Marine Col and telling him he had to load his men and equipment on three ships that were still on fire and listing to port. I figured if I struck quickly at Russell Island I could take it by surprise. Well I lost a ship getting my men ashore and the defenders were too strong to be routed, but they are to weak to push me back into the sea. Right now we are at a stand off. Lucky for the marines they are now receiving air support from Lunga.
Wasp - I sent the Wasp on a raiding mission just below Truk hoping to slip in under the weather and sink some merchants. To tell you the truth I wanted some revenge. Well the carrier was spotted and Crocky sent a TF after it. It was damaged by carrier air attacks as it fled the area and has been sent back to Pearl for repairs.
Shortland - At the same time the Wasp was moving north I finally got a BB and sent it to bombard the Shortland base. This was risky because it is so close to Rabaul and its 80 Betty bombers. I took a turn to position the TF so it could get in and out in one turn (we are playing two day turns). Well I think I caught Crocky by surprise. I severely damage the airfield and destroyed many aircraft on the ground. Flushed with victory - frankly I was more excited that I pulled this off than I was over taking Lunga - I foolishly tried it again. Never try the same tactic twice on Crocky. This time the attack was driven off with several hit on my BB.
Gilli GillI - I tried to send a combat TF to Gilli Gilli so I could fend off the bombardment missions the Japs were sending up and down the coast of New Guinea. Well no sooner had they arrived then the 80 bombers form Rabaul sent them to the bottom or limping back to a safer port.
New Guinea - I had to let New Guinea suffer while the Guadalcanal operations were underway. I am now devoting 90% of my resources to re-supply the area. With the loss of so many transports, I can not focus on more than one area at a time. This will change as more ships arrive in the theater. I control every base except for Wewak, Madang, and Saido. As I write this, Crocky and I are engaged in a battle for air supremacy over New Guinea. I took all my B17s and long range bombers and stationed them in Cooktown. From there I am bombing the airfield at Mandang. I am also using my bombers stationed in New Guinea to bomb any airfield in range. Crocky is attacking the air fields at Pory Moresby and Lae. I must say that when his 80 Betty bomber attack my airfields they do a lot of damage. On occasion my fields have been shut down completely until I can repair them. I have lost a lot of planes on the ground.
To sum things up, naval operations have slowed down while air operations have increased. Land operations have switched from offensive to consolidation of territory gained. Submarine activity remains constant.
Ok this should bring everything up to date.
Rick
Well the first turn I sailed, everything went ok. Only one transport fleet was sighted and attacked. It was at this point that the American Press announced the invasion was on (I posted it on this board). Crocky quickly assembled his carriers and sent them to rain hell down on my fleet. For two turns in a row I lost an average of 20 ships per turn. Fearing that I was losing the game I ordered my carriers to sea. I took one extra turn to position them to the SE knowing that my transports were paying the price. Part of my plan was to weaken his carrier Sqs by flack and operational loses (he didn‘t punch me in the nose I hit his fist with my nose). Well for whatever reason the big carrier battle went totally in my favor. Several Jap carriers were sunk or severely damaged. This put the game back on an even keel. I lost over 90 transports and other ships during this operation, but in the end Guadalcanal and Tulagi were mine. Crocky pulled out some of his troops so the battle for the islands only lasted a few turns.
Current Situation:
Russell Island - I took the Marines on Tulagi and loaded them up on three transports that were half sunk. I like to picture that in my head. Me looking a hard nose Marine Col and telling him he had to load his men and equipment on three ships that were still on fire and listing to port. I figured if I struck quickly at Russell Island I could take it by surprise. Well I lost a ship getting my men ashore and the defenders were too strong to be routed, but they are to weak to push me back into the sea. Right now we are at a stand off. Lucky for the marines they are now receiving air support from Lunga.
Wasp - I sent the Wasp on a raiding mission just below Truk hoping to slip in under the weather and sink some merchants. To tell you the truth I wanted some revenge. Well the carrier was spotted and Crocky sent a TF after it. It was damaged by carrier air attacks as it fled the area and has been sent back to Pearl for repairs.
Shortland - At the same time the Wasp was moving north I finally got a BB and sent it to bombard the Shortland base. This was risky because it is so close to Rabaul and its 80 Betty bombers. I took a turn to position the TF so it could get in and out in one turn (we are playing two day turns). Well I think I caught Crocky by surprise. I severely damage the airfield and destroyed many aircraft on the ground. Flushed with victory - frankly I was more excited that I pulled this off than I was over taking Lunga - I foolishly tried it again. Never try the same tactic twice on Crocky. This time the attack was driven off with several hit on my BB.
Gilli GillI - I tried to send a combat TF to Gilli Gilli so I could fend off the bombardment missions the Japs were sending up and down the coast of New Guinea. Well no sooner had they arrived then the 80 bombers form Rabaul sent them to the bottom or limping back to a safer port.
New Guinea - I had to let New Guinea suffer while the Guadalcanal operations were underway. I am now devoting 90% of my resources to re-supply the area. With the loss of so many transports, I can not focus on more than one area at a time. This will change as more ships arrive in the theater. I control every base except for Wewak, Madang, and Saido. As I write this, Crocky and I are engaged in a battle for air supremacy over New Guinea. I took all my B17s and long range bombers and stationed them in Cooktown. From there I am bombing the airfield at Mandang. I am also using my bombers stationed in New Guinea to bomb any airfield in range. Crocky is attacking the air fields at Pory Moresby and Lae. I must say that when his 80 Betty bomber attack my airfields they do a lot of damage. On occasion my fields have been shut down completely until I can repair them. I have lost a lot of planes on the ground.
To sum things up, naval operations have slowed down while air operations have increased. Land operations have switched from offensive to consolidation of territory gained. Submarine activity remains constant.
Ok this should bring everything up to date.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
Wow.
In real life, Kid would be facing a firing squad.
Maybe your nickname should be Banzai!:D Your going through units like I go through pints.


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Re: Wow.
This is true, but it makes for an exciting game,:DOriginally posted by Ron Saueracker
In real life, Kid would be facing a firing squad.Maybe your nickname should be Banzai!:D Your going through units like I go through pints.
![]()
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


-
Rob Roberson
- Posts: 386
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am
Uninformed question :)
Love the AAR it is something I look forward to everyday. If, your intent was to draw the carriers out...why load those transports up with troops? I think you would of been shot for all the shark food you provided... not for attempting to lure the enemy into battle. Either way it worked well and sounds like the game is even again....keep posting.
Re: Uninformed question :)
My intent was never to use the transports as bait. I decided to deploy my carriers only after two days of heavy loses. I was face with a choice. Send my carriers straight in, in which case they would come under attack from Rabaul as well as the carriers, or let the transports take it for one more day while I move around to the SE. Wanting to protect my carriers at all cost I chose the second option. I consoled myself by believing Crocky would lose some plane during that one day delay.Originally posted by Rob Roberson
Love the AAR it is something I look forward to everyday. If, your intent was to draw the carriers out...why load those transports up with troops? I think you would of been shot for all the shark food you provided... not for attempting to lure the enemy into battle. Either way it worked well and sounds like the game is even again....keep posting.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


-
Rob Roberson
- Posts: 386
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am
Originally posted by Crocky
Looks like Rick has decided that Shortland poses to much of a threat....both carriers and surface TF go after it this turn..will let him see his turn ......dont want to spoil his fun....before further reports
Well, I tried another raid on Shortland but this time I backed it up with my carrier TF. The bombardment went good and I sunk several Jap Transports. However, some bombers got through to one of my carriers and put it out of action. All and all the raid was not worth it.
The battle for Russell Island continues. My marine Raider and Paratroopers are still holding on. I managed to slipped in a tank company with about 23 shamans and tired to take the airfield. However, Crocky sent in a bombardment TF that turn and disrupted my attack. Most of my tanks were destroyed in the assault so we are back to where we started.
The air over New Guinea is still not a save place to be. I would say things are about even there.
Crocky sent down a bombardment TF to hit Gilli Gilli and discovered that I had placed some coastal batters on the base. Several CA were damaged. I hope this will give them, the men and crews at Gilli Gilli, a well deserved break.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


-
Rob Roberson
- Posts: 386
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:46 am
Morale
What is the morale of your troops on Russel? I have noticed in your reports after early heavy fighting things always seem to settle into a combat routine. Is this because of wear and tear on the units, lessoning of morale or a combination of both? I guess my question is do you have to insert fresh units constantly to get your forces to make the necessary pushes towards your goals or ....
Re: Morale
Their moral is low and their disruption level is high. If you have enough supplies, you can rest them and let them recover. However, things are so even on the Island I will have to send in a lot more trops to get the job done.Originally posted by Rob Roberson
What is the morale of your troops on Russel? I have noticed in your reports after early heavy fighting things always seem to settle into a combat routine. Is this because of wear and tear on the units, lessoning of morale or a combination of both? I guess my question is do you have to insert fresh units constantly to get your forces to make the necessary pushes towards your goals or ....
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


AI?
Hi Guys,
First off, great AAR, keep it coming. Wetting my appetite immensly!
Seeing as you are both on Beta team, could you just say a few words on the AI? How is it?
Thanks
Kev
First off, great AAR, keep it coming. Wetting my appetite immensly!
Seeing as you are both on Beta team, could you just say a few words on the AI? How is it?
Thanks
Kev
Well I've played a few games against the AI and I think it is good. It makes well coordinated attacks and does an all around good job. I've only played against the Japs and I've notice it does not use mines as much as a human player and it is a little bit more cautious.
Rick
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Update
The battle for Russell Island continues. Neither side can get reinforcements to the island. Air units from Guadalcanal prevent the Japs and lack of transports the US from getting to the island.
The air war over New Guinea rages on with some pauses for crew rest. Port Moresby has been re-supplied and its airfield is fully operational. Gilli Gilli has been re-supplied and a PT boat SQ has been seen operating in the area. Lae is under constant pressure and is struggling to maintain air operations.
US air power is starting to make itself felt and the ratio of allied to Jap ship loses is slowly closing.
Crocky has been very quite lately and US intel thinks the Japs might be up to something.
Rick
The air war over New Guinea rages on with some pauses for crew rest. Port Moresby has been re-supplied and its airfield is fully operational. Gilli Gilli has been re-supplied and a PT boat SQ has been seen operating in the area. Lae is under constant pressure and is struggling to maintain air operations.
US air power is starting to make itself felt and the ratio of allied to Jap ship loses is slowly closing.
Crocky has been very quite lately and US intel thinks the Japs might be up to something.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Important message!
According to the Geneve convention, torture is long ago forbidden!
So please stop this or release this hottie NOW!!!

So please stop this or release this hottie NOW!!!
Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle
Russell Island I sent 2 destroyers on a fast transport mission to resupply the island unfortunately they ran into an allied bombardment TF heading for the same destination 1 BB 3 CA and quite a few DDs scratch that resupply effort......
New Guinea is causing headaches Madang is developing nicely as a base but now is starting to come under constant air attack....my Zeros and Oscars are struggling with his B26 & B25 raids on the base and mix that with Liberators and B17s flying from Cooktown.... I need a solution.....as Rick says Allied air power is starting to have an effect, hate to see what its like in another 6 months.
New Guinea is causing headaches Madang is developing nicely as a base but now is starting to come under constant air attack....my Zeros and Oscars are struggling with his B26 & B25 raids on the base and mix that with Liberators and B17s flying from Cooktown.... I need a solution.....as Rick says Allied air power is starting to have an effect, hate to see what its like in another 6 months.
Mike Blair CROCKY




