After looking at the map and available ships and troops, I'm going to try both:
My two cents: I like this approach, but a violent reaction over Ramree Island is not assured. Late May '42 is not a good time for the KB to be in the Bay of Bengal: it opens the entire Pacific, north to south, to Allied counter-thrusts.
Hmm -- does the scenario allow for attrition from crocodile attacks?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
5/22/42
SoPac: The KB took up a blocking position between Koumac and Brisbane. A sea of IJ TFs is to the north and west of Koumac. It appears that John is moving on overwhelming strength against multiple targets - most likely New Caledonia, Luganville and Efate. I don't think he's coming further - and I don't think his carriers will raid Sydney or Melbourne - but I'm watching. The American carriers will near Melbourne tonight, where they'll refuel en route to the Bay of Bengal. I have some dive bombers at Brisbane that I can shift to Noumea or Luganville if John permits his carriers to stray to far from a transport TF left vulnerable. 32nd USA Div. is on transports just west of Dunedin and should be far enough south for safe passage into Melbourne.
CenPac: The Gilberts invasion TFs all loaded in a single day and departed Pearl. That's quick work. I had to use about 600 PP to buy out some restricted units, but I had more than enough available. Estimated D-Day would be roughly 12 days.
NoPac: The Allies are shifting some things around. I have fighters at Anchorage that I'll use soon to ambush the Kates that are hitting some of my Aluetians bases without escort. Combat engineers are going to Anchorage to get that airfield upgraded. And supply will be going to Kodiak and then I'll try to move it forward to Cold Bay and perhaps Akutan.
China: Half of the islolated Chinese army escaped the pocket and made it to the "freedom hex." Most of the rest will follow tomorrow. There's still a small chance that John could attack, win the battle in the freedom hex, and my units might then retreat the wrong way, in which case I'll gnash my teeth severely, but things look very promising. Shouldn't the Japanese commander commit seppuku if he allows the Failaise Pocket to collapse and the trapped army to escape?
Luzon: The Allies still hold Clark Field and Bataan. Shouldn't General Homma also commit seppuku?
Burma: Lots of enemy activity, but I don't think John perceives the true nature of the peril yet. I'm moving lots of assets around in preparation for major activity. Hornet and three RN carriers are moving into the Bay of Bengal. While attempting to avoid detection, I want these ships somewhere around Viz in order to move on Ramree if John tries to move in garrison troops via ship. It will be a good ten days or so before the fast transport TF carrying the raider battalion reaches Colombo. D-Day for an invasion of Ramree Island might be 15 to 18 days away.
Oz: All quiet here. Q-Ball mentioned that enemy control of Noumea impedes Allied movement from West Coast to Oz, but I'm essentially done with all the heavy lifting. Once 32nd Div. arrives at Melbourne (ETA five days), no more major ground units will go to Oz. And all supply needs can be met from Capetown. Oz, with 3+ American divisions and a heckuva lot of base forces and aircraft should be safe.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Ramree Island, on the other hand, is worth some risk, given it's proxmity to the Burma line and the heat and unease John is beginning to experience there.
Also mentioned in many AAR's .. and my experience also ... even though Ramree Island does not contain the adjacent road ... supply propogates to that adjacent road and eventually all over Southern Burma once Ramree Island is built up and supply is over flowing. This would be quite alarming to any IJ player ... The airbase offers a short 2 hexes for DB's to pound Prome and puts Rangoon in range of fighters ..
It does take LRCAP (3 hexes) from Akyab until the port/airfield is built up It will probably draw bombardment TF's. Intially this far south without a supporting base it will be very difficult to discourage BB TF's as they can park 4 hexes from Rangoon and make it in and out at night. Reloading at Port Blair to do it again ... and again ... Eventually once Prome falls I found the B-25C's with pilots primarly trained in low nav to be very effective at discouraging bomabrdment runs as they can reach right to the hex that a BB bombardment TF would stop to ensure a night in night out run at full speed. Docup taught me to train fighter pilots and use P39's on low nav. Once learning this I found them to be effective in this LowNav role within normal range.
My MO has been to establsih the Irrawaddy Valley first and then hit below the belt at Ramree Island .. it will be very interesting to me to watch this unfold as the initial lightning stroke ..
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
After looking at the map and available ships and troops, I'm going to try both:
1. The Allies will immediately organize an invasion of Ramree Island. The American carriers will report to the Bay of Bengal, though I might not await them before inserting the marine raider battalion, which is aboard APDs now moving to Colombo (from a point south of Cocos Island). Hopefully, surprise, the fast-transport nature of the mission, and LRCAP from Akyab might provide sufficient protection for the initial move. When the carriers arrive, the Allies can bring in additional troops, including the UK brigade currently at Colombo, a base force, an engineering unit, and a CD unit. This operation should dovetail nicely with the other Allied activities in Burma. This is meant to prompt maximum mental unease for John.
2. Tarawa is currently a level zero airfield. The Japanese have no airfield larger than size one closer than Maloelap. I am putting together invasion TFs at Pearl where troops are prepping for Makin, Tarawa and Abemama. I may or may not await CVE Long Island (and her Marine F4F squadron) that is currently escorting a troop transport TF from LA to Pearl. The KB isn't all that far south of the Gilberts, but I think I can work this to get an open shot. One possibility is that the move on Ramree prompts a violent reaction, especially if/when I reveal my carriers.
Taking and building up Ramree allows supply to flow into North Burma-negating any monsoon effect. As long as you have LSTs around, you don't have to take Rangoon to get supply into China. It will flow from Ramree if you own the Lashio road. I consider it a "must have" for the Allied player.
"China: Half of the islolated Chinese army escaped the pocket and made it to the "freedom hex." Most of the rest will follow tomorrow. There's still a small chance that John could attack, win the battle in the freedom hex, and my units might then retreat the wrong way, in which case I'll gnash my teeth severely, but things look very promising. Shouldn't the Japanese commander commit seppuku if he allows the Failaise Pocket to collapse and the trapped army to escape? "
Would it be better for them to retreat "the wrong way" and then be subject to destruction, and rebuild at Chungking in 60 days? Juss sayin', might be a silver lining if they do.
And btw get your carriers out there in '42 and put them in danger! No more of this "no carriers lost in '42 ever"!!!! Go kill sumtin'!
Q-Ball mentioned that enemy control of Noumea impedes Allied movement from West Coast to Oz...
I no longer believe it does. Both my Allied opponents simply skirt the map edge and bypass anything within range of New Caledonia. The only way to guarantee preventing Allied material reaching Australia from the West Coast is to invade New Caledonia and New Zealand. Then again, I'm finding I'm not a very good strategic player so my opinion carries only so much weight.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
The Chinese MLR, though suffering a major bulge at Changsha to Hengyang, is still intact. The successfull withdrawal of the formerly isolated Allied army (without letting them be destroyed and then respawn at Chungking) allows me to feed troops into the MLR efficiently, withdraw weak units to the interior to recover, and it also puts a hurt on John's psyche. He was reveling in the "Falaise Pocket." Now he's lost it.
As for the LOC from West Coast to Oz, the Allies don't need to go via SoPac. It wouldn't matter if Japan took New Zealand, New Caledonia, Samoa, Tahiti and every other island group in the Pacific if the Allies efficiently use the USA to Capetown to Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne route.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
5/23/42
SoPac: KB is just south of Noumea. SigInt indicates a second IJA division bound for Koumac. Trying to decide whether to insert a couple of SBD (or Banshee) squadrons into Luganville, before it's shut down, to take a shot at exposed enemy TFs. Bombardment of the airfield might mess the aircraft up before they could fly. John's putting alot of time and effort into this expedition.
Pacific: The Gilberts invasion TFs are 50 hexes NE of Tarawa.
China: Essentially the entire "Falaise Pocket" troops escaped into a hex joined by a good road to the Chinese MLR. Though there's still a small chance of something going awry, things look good.
Burma/India: The APD TF with Marine raiders is about 43 hexes from Colombo (and moving at 7 hexes/day), where it will refuel before moving to Ramree. Hornet and friends are NE of Trincomalee, moving NW to take station near Cuttack. One good use of Socatra is to build the airfield large. Then, aircraft transport TFs coming to India from Capetown can halt at Socatra. The aircraft can fly from the island to the mainland, saving about five or six days.
Australia: The four American carriers just refueled at Melbourne and will continue west. I'm not sure I'll need them in the Bay of Bengal, nor am I sure they could arrive in time to be of major service, but I'll continue west until I know for certain.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
You should have the three mobile Indian CD units to move to Ramree and/or Akyab.
If you haven't lost them yet, Dutch O19 & 20 should be useful in laying mines to discourage his bombardment runs.
I have not found CD units and mines very effective at stopping BB TF's if they set the bomabardment distance to the maximum range for the big guns ..Certainly this type of deployment will catch a mistake [8D] (default of bombardment = 0 [:D] ) One exception is the big guns of Truk where I have taken some hits out to maximum range that cost 2 weeks in the yard, but I did not experince any mine hits for my raids...
I have found that CD units & mines to be very effective if the IJN/IJA try to amphib invade a hex. Thus I have been using these resources where the IJ are most likley to try a counter-invasion or to protect against an invasion ... Especally since Commonwealth mines and the Abiel are sort of short lived commodites ..
So far the most effective deterrent that has worked for me to protact the shores of Burma has been B25's (and lots of them) set at LowNav attacks with adequite search arcs to catch the TF's out at that magic 12 hex range from the target. Then the shorter ranged Commonwealth TB's/DB's have a fighting chance if the BB's continue in with damage .. Otherwise the BB Tf's simply get in and get out always being just out of range .. The Trusty patroling in that magic range might be discourging to the IJ ..
One other thing ... From my standpoint LowNav attacks seem to cause more engine, hull penetration hits and fires, which is what I want to slow these IJN beasts down rather than the systems and weapons hits (hitting the main guns with medium ammo just bouces off) from CD's at range ..that will likely not effect operations... [BB goes into yard for a week or two and comes back ..]
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
As for the LOC from West Coast to Oz, the Allies don't need to go via SoPac. It wouldn't matter if Japan took New Zealand, New Caledonia, Samoa, Tahiti and every other island group in the Pacific if the Allies efficiently use the USA to Capetown to Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne route.
I agree, it's almost impossible for Japan to completely blockade Australia. I was just responding to the statement regarding a Japanese controlled Noumea as enough to impede the LOC to Australia from the West Coast. It isn't.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Its nice to use mines in a base hex, but you can also place them one hex out in a shallow ocean hex to have his warships hit before they get to the base. [;)]
5/24/42
J-Day in SoPac: The Japanese are landing in force at Luganville (2nd Div.) and Efate (Mixed Guards Brigade). I expect landings at Koumac (two IJA divisions) to commence tomorrow. A few observations: (1) These landings should succeed; (2) These are typical "all infantry, little support" operations that sometimes get John in trouble; (3) it's great to see 2nd Div. at Luganville. I'd had SigInt that it was bound for Milne. This tells me a little about John's use of decoy (though possibly this was a last minute diversion from Milne to Luganville). It also helps me understand that John's spidey senses weren't tingling about Milne. Good. No sign of the KB, which mysteriously vanished somewhere south of New Caledonia.
China: The Japanese are bombing the stew out of the Chinese stack, which will continue to take it on the chin until making the next hex, which is wooded. The troops have covered 14 miles thus far. Even if John's three tailing divisions catch up and attack, which is likely, the only route open for retreat by my guys is the desired route on the good road leading to Kweilin. So the Chinese have made it, though in depleted condition that will be more depleted after the expected attack in two days.
Burma: The fast transport TFs are 33 hexes from Colombo. I had a replenishment TF positioned south of Cocos, so this TF refueled and may not have to stop at Colombo. If so, D-Day at Ramree Island might be 10 days away.
India: With three divisions going into SoPac, the all-clear can sound for India. Troops can begin to move forward to the front, though I'll leave decent defenses around Calcutta and a reserve around Bombay. Besides that, though, the Allies will reinforce the Burma front.
Cocos Island: An RN DD sniffed around south of Cocos and triggered high detection 10/10, which was what I hoped to do. An RN CLAA will approach from the SW to do the same thing. John won't fall for such a weak feint, but it will at least give him something to think about as other sectors are about to heat up.
Oz: With three divisions tied up in SoPac, John certainly won't be moving into the critcal sections of Oz in strength any time soon if ever. The Allies can shift troops around a bit, begin to plan for the overland campaign against Carnavon, and shift some strength further north to add more oomph to the Townsville and Cairns garrisons.
Pacific: The Gilberts invasion TFs continue to move SW without detection. A Glen sub did find a small supply TF on a routine mission near Christmas, which I don't think would give John any intel.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel Pacific: The Gilberts invasion TFs continue to move SW without detection. A Glen sub did find a small supply TF on a routine mission near Christmas, which I don't think would give John any intel.
5/25/42
SoPac: The Japanese take Efate and should take Koumac tomorrow (it looks like John is landing three divisions - a bit of overkill considering the full Allied AV at New Caledonia is 78. However, something seems to have gone awry with John's landing of second division at Luganville. Only a fragment of the unit came ashore (I'm counter attacking tomorrow) and then John cancelled the landing and pulled back all the ships. [&:] Meanwhile, KB is far to the south of Koumac, in a position where she might raid, but we'll see. Suits me if she does since I have my carriers south of Adelaide and plenty of fighters in Oz. 32nd Div. is aboard transports near map's edge SE of Tasmania, so not in any danger.
Pacific: The Tarawa invasion TFs continue steaming SW with no signs of detection. I expect John has some BBs as close as Kwajalein, perhaps a small carrier or two also. I'll throw out pickets as my ships draw a bit closer.
China: About ten Chinese "light" units are home free now (base forces, artillery, AA units) and at least half of the 1700 AV will make it to tomorrow. Whatever lingers in the "freedom hex" should get eaten up by at least three IJA divisions, but the surivivors will then retreat the right way. IE, the troops trapped in the Falaise Pocket made it out. North of Chengte, the Chinese finally wrested back the dot hex Japan held for quite some time. No big deal, but it will allow me to divert one good corps (335 AV) to the front.
Burma: John is paying much more attention here, but so far no indications he foresees the main Allied strategy. The Ramree Island fast transport TF is 26 hexes from Colombo, where I'll probably refuel before boring in for the invasion. The second Aussie division arrived at Imphal and will now move forward to join its brother. This is the unit that was originally to speerhead the Cocos invasion. I really like where it's at now.
Cocos: John gets more detection on my "scout/deception" DD and I get SigInt of an IJN CL bound to Cocos. John stood down all his Betties in the Solomons, which had been hitting Luganville. Did he move them this way? That would be too sweet for words.
Oz: Everything looks peaceful and strong to my eyes.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Q-Ball mentioned that enemy control of Noumea impedes Allied movement from West Coast to Oz...
I no longer believe it does. Both my Allied opponents simply skirt the map edge and bypass anything within range of New Caledonia. The only way to guarantee preventing Allied material reaching Australia from the West Coast is to invade New Caledonia and New Zealand. Then again, I'm finding I'm not a very good strategic player so my opinion carries only so much weight.
In 1942 in my game Chez took both New Caledonia and Norfolk Island. All I did was route my troop and supply convoys through Wellington. It was no big deal. I've since chased him out of New Caledonia and the New Hebrides but since recon tells me that he has over 25,000 troops on Norfolk Island I've left it as a defacto POW camp.
5/26/42
SoPac: The Allies boot out the detachment of 2nd Division that landed at Luganville. Not sure what happened here, but this has all the earmarks of a poorly planned (no support troops) and executed (ships arrived late in day so that full unloading couldn't commence) operation. Three IJA divisions take Koumac and will waltz into Noumea in a week or so. KB remains south of Norfolk Island, so the Allies have moved two SBD squadrons to Luganville and two Banshee squadrons to Noumea (all coming from Brisbane). I won't get my hopes up to high, but this has some promise.
CenPac: The bulk of the Allied invasion fleet is just 33 hexes from Tarawa. Flankers are going ahead. This is getting to the point where something will happen to persuade me to back off - it always happens. But we'll see.
China: all but four or five depleted Chinese units made it into the forested hex near Kweilin. Four IJA divisions beat up on the remnants, but the Falaise Pocket truly fell apart and the bulk of the Chinese made it back to contiguous lines of safety. The Japanese commander is believed to have committed seppuku.
Burma: I think the Allied fast transport TF will refuel at Colombo. Transports are there to pick up part of a UK brigade and some naval support - this will be a second wave. Carriers and combat ships are prepositioned south of Calcutta. Engineers and transports are moving to Calcutta - they will be part of the second wave. This plan "feels right."
Cocos: Bettys reported at Cocos by my "sniffing" DD. This is great stuff!
Oz: The four American carriers are hovering south of Adelaide. I'm not really sure I want to send them to Bay of Bengal.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.