OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JamesM
Posts: 1026
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: QLD, Australia

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by JamesM »

I dislike RTS genre, still yet to find a RTS game that is a keeper for me.

Any recommendations for 4X turn based strategy games, I have been looking for a keeper for while?

I have a few:

All Master of Orion’s
Birth of the Federation (still play this all the time)
Space Empires IV
Galactic Civilizations
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by wodin »

Try Gal Civ 2.
elcidce
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Lugoff, SC

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by elcidce »

Warhammer Dawn of War is a Keeper for me. Its got that just another turn quality and has great graphics and storyline. Although its a got standard RTS play its put together so well you really dont mind it and have a blast listening to the sounds and cutscenes.

Id highly recommend it.
The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: jamesm
Any recommendations for 4X turn based strategy games, I have been looking for a keeper for while?

I have a few:

All Master of Orion’s
Birth of the Federation (still play this all the time)
Space Empires IV
Galactic Civilizations

Starships Unlimited v3 [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Try Gal Civ 2.

I didn't know you actually had that, wodin. I thought you had pre-ordered it!! What's it like?

The only space strategy game I was into was Supremacy (I think) on the Amiga 500?? and Carrier Command (Amiga...NOT PC)
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
ravinhood
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by ravinhood »

ALPHA CENTAURI!! hehe well it isn't a 4x galactical space sorta game, but, the tactical elements of this fine sci-fi game are unmatched by any 4x game. One of the best elements in it and something I've said ALL global or galactic type games should have is when the player is winning by a certain margin, ALL the AI go after him/her. Nothing like the excitement of getting hit from everywhere. It's a true battle of attrition all around. Getting a "truce" in the late game is a blessing, at least one front hopefully at peace for 10 turns. It's even more exciting when you set the option to not be able to specifically pick what you are going to research, more of a "surprise discovery" sort of game.

Now all I have to say is Where is ALPHA CENTAURI II - III- and IV SID??! ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?


User avatar
Zap
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:13 am
Location: LAS VEGAS TAKE A CHANCE

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by Zap »

No opinion on SW:EAW but I have a question regarding SW:Kights Old Republic, is it any good? I have this game still in the wrapper. Recieved it as a gift for Christmas some years ago.
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

ORIGINAL: wodin

Try Gal Civ 2.

I didn't know you actually had that, wodin. I thought you had pre-ordered it!! What's it like?

The only space strategy game I was into was Supremacy (I think) on the Amiga 500?? and Carrier Command (Amiga...NOT PC)

Pre ordered download;)

I bought on a whim and have downloaded the full release game. I have looked at it quickly and then quit.

IF you love 4x games you will love it Im sure.

I wanted a game that went into great detail with regards to Planetary Invasions. This doesnt do enough for me.
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39783
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: wodin
I wanted a game that went into great detail with regards to Planetary Invasions. This doesnt do enough for me.

In that case, have you tried Supremacy: Four Paths to Power? Not a typical 4x game, but it basically has an invasion mini-game as part of it.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Kuokkanen
Posts: 3752
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:16 pm

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I have a question regarding SW:Kights Old Republic, is it any good?
Game's name is Knights of the Old Republic. It's not strategy but RPG instead made by Bioware. It is based to same game engine what is used in Neverwinter Nights and there are a lot of similarities. Basically it's typical real time RPG with Star Wars theme. And it's good game too [;)]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
User avatar
ravinhood
Posts: 3829
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by ravinhood »

Wait and get Oblivion it will be better than KotOR. Trust me.[:D]
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?


User avatar
ShermanM4
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:51 pm

RE: OT - Star Wars: Empire at War?

Post by ShermanM4 »

Hey all I don't mean to just skip ahead a dozen posts and not read them all word for word, but is the campaign mode and skirmish mode anything like the campaign simulator from Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe?
Image
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”