Zone of Control/Movement

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

Zone of Control/Movement

Post by shall59 »

I know I read something a while back about zones of control and movement but now I can't find it. Could somebody tell me where to look and/or give me some help with the following.

I just kicked the Japs out of Tainan and they all retreated SE and then NE into Taichu except for one unit, it stayed in the hex SE of Tainan. I want to go fight this unit but I'm not able to give any of my units a movement destination into this hex. I try giving Taichu as a destination and all my units head into the mountains NE of Tainan and get stuck there.

What to do?
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by niceguy2005 »

I don't have the map in front of me, but a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. You can't move from a contested ZOC to another enemy ZOC.
2. You can use the w key to see ZOC on the map
3. To move from a contested ZOC to another hex, you must set the destination on a friendly controlled base. In doing so, you can't violate rule #1.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by dtravel »

4. You can't actually control the route your units will take to get to any given destination.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by shall59 »

But why can't I move any troops into the non-base hex to attack that single unit?

Image
Attachments
Formosa1.jpg
Formosa1.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 226 times
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by dtravel »

Because the program thinks you are doing too well and doesn't want you beating up on those poor Japanese citizens, you bully! [:D]

Oh, all right, if you insist on a serious answer can you give us a screen shot of the island with ZOC display turned on? (The "W" key.) And a screen shot of the unit you are trying to order into that hex?
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Black Mamba 1942
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:44 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by Black Mamba 1942 »

Welcome to the wacky programing of WITP![:D]

Set one of the Japanese occupied bases as your destination.
Then stop your LCU's when they get into the non-base hex.
Stupid isn't it? That's how it works though.

I rarely use the non-base movement.
An enemy bombardment will cancel out their movement orders, but having a base as a destination won't. Go figure.[:D]
User avatar
Dino
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: Serbia

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by Dino »

ORIGINAL: shall59

But why can't I move any troops into the non-base hex to attack that single unit?

Image

Just a possibility... There could be a Japanese GHOST unit left behind in your base. It hapened to me recently.

Check if attack orders are active in your LCUs info screen.
Image
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by shall59 »

Okay, figured it out and now have units moving out of Tainan to the East towards that single unit in a non-base hex. Don't know if this is how it is supposed to work but it is working.

If I give marching orders to hex 49,44 to any unit in Tainan it won't march; but in doing so it automatically sets a HQ unit there to march to that hex. Still can't set the units themselves to march though. I can then go to the info screen for the HQ unit and set all to follow, now everyone merrily marches off to the destination hex. All I have to do is set units I don't want to march to defensive stance.
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: shall59

Okay, figured it out and now have units moving out of Tainan to the East towards that single unit in a non-base hex. Don't know if this is how it is supposed to work but it is working.

If I give marching orders to hex 49,44 to any unit in Tainan it won't march; but in doing so it automatically sets a HQ unit there to march to that hex. Still can't set the units themselves to march though. I can then go to the info screen for the HQ unit and set all to follow, now everyone merrily marches off to the destination hex. All I have to do is set units I don't want to march to defensive stance.

Ah! Yes, this bug. Okay, the way around this is actually fairly simple. When you click on the base or the hex the units are in, click on the unit icons at the bottom of the screen. Whatever orders you give in the LCU window are implemented by the unit that is highlited at the screen bottom. The bug is that this is not always the same unit as you are viewing in the central window. That "marker" doesn't always get properly updated and stays on the first unit, which is usually a HQ. So you want to always make sure that the name of the unit you are viewing is the LCU name being displayed at the bottom left of the monitor.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
el cid again
Posts: 16984
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:40 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by el cid again »

4. You can't actually control the route your units will take to get to any given destination.

UNLESS you designate the route ONE HEX at a time - that is one hex per day max.
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: el cid again
4. You can't actually control the route your units will take to get to any given destination.

UNLESS you designate the route ONE HEX at a time - that is one hex per day max.

And even then you cannot make the unit go directly from its current hex to the target hex. As the original poster had happen to him, the units will sometimes do a dogleg and take two hexes of movement to go to the adjacent hex.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Black Mamba 1942
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:44 pm

RE: Zone of Control/Movement

Post by Black Mamba 1942 »

Yep, and usually right into a jungle hex.[:D]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”