Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by JudgeDredd »

Very decent of you, posting a follow up Rhonda. Alot of people wouldn't have bothered.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I thought I owed Paradox an update on this thread since I started it. I just received the following e-mail from them announcing a total revamping of their direct download site. SO..... the problems that I encountered may have now been solved.

Maybe someone else can report on their download efforts with this new setup.

I still won't touch their setup with a 10-foot pole. You still have to install a downloader (only now it's called Gamersgatedownload instead of ZtormDownload), so that's a big fat no-no for me. Paradox really needs to take a look at the Matrix/DR way of doing things. Their way isn't good enough.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
rhondabrwn
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
Location: Snowflake, Arizona

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I thought I owed Paradox an update on this thread since I started it. I just received the following e-mail from them announcing a total revamping of their direct download site. SO..... the problems that I encountered may have now been solved.

Maybe someone else can report on their download efforts with this new setup.

I still won't touch their setup with a 10-foot pole. You still have to install a downloader (only now it's called Gamersgatedownload instead of ZtormDownload), so that's a big fat no-no for me. Paradox really needs to take a look at the Matrix/DR way of doing things. Their way isn't good enough.

I would certainly agree with you. Paradox DOES need to look at how Matrix handles things! I just cleaned Zstorm downloader off my machine and I definitely won't be trying their new setup if it still includes download software for direct download.

Are you listening Paradox? Time for version three.....
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by Sarge »

Do you get the windows installer that can be burned to a disk along with a key from Paradox ?
User avatar
SlapBone
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by SlapBone »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Do you get the windows installer that can be burned to a disk along with a key from Paradox ?

Negative...it has a funky installer that makes you log in. It downloads some kind of encrypted file that install after verification.
User avatar
wodin
Posts: 10709
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:13 am
Location: England
Contact:

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by wodin »

The only interest I have in Paradox is that they have the ASL lincence.

Matrix where the hell where you when this was up for grabs?
User avatar
Sarge
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:46 am
Location: ask doggie

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

Negative...it has a funky installer that makes you log in. It downloads some kind of encrypted file that install after verification.

So what are you suppose to do if the title/developer stops getting support form Paradox , or even better yet Paradox goes down.?

But I am not surprised that Paradox has made a mess out of DD
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

So what are you suppose to do if the title/developer stops getting support form Paradox , or even better yet Paradox goes down.?

Then you'll be, to use a technical term, fucked.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by JudgeDredd »

There seems to be a fair bit of criticism aimed at Paradox and, tbh, I fail to understand why for a lot of it.

The DD stuff, I get...but some of the other criticism is a bit harsh. HoI2 and Doomsday are absolute blasts and extremely varied in the tasks that you have to do...I don't remember the last time I had fun with a game of this scale.

I'm having a few problems with Europa Universalis 2 which I bought on a whim...but only because I haven't dedicated the time to it....I'm thinking it's going to be good.

I personally think they are very good at the type of games they do (at least the ones I've played) and would easily buy another title from them....if it suited.
Alba gu' brath
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by DuckofTindalos »

I will never criticise Paradox for their GAMES. I own HOI, HOI2, Doomsday, EU, EU2, Crusader Kings and Victoria, so I'm a Paradox fanboy, but they've really dropped a clanger on the direct download thing. It's almost like they've conciously gone for making as many mistakes in setting this up as they could...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Paradox Doomsday Direct Download

Post by JudgeDredd »

It does sound like a doosey, I'll grant you.

As for their games, people are entitled their opinion...absolutely. I just recently posted on the Oblivion thread saying how boring I found the game and yet there are a shed load of posts saying they love it.

Horses for courses springs to mind.
Alba gu' brath
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”