The Slant

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: The Slant

Post by Demosthenes »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

You've missed the point entirely. The value of the equipment and supply produced by all of Japan during the war was only equal to that of ONE large US Corporation during the same period. Unfortunately Japan could not only fight a war against General Motors..., so even though the Majority of US production went to Europe; the remainder still exceeded Japan by a large majority.
ORIGINAL: juliet7bravo

Without historical and realistic capabilities though, you'll never know. Making a "fun" game by giving units fantasy capabilities is exactly the wrong approach, and the more accurate your OOB is will just exerbate the problem. You end up with an ever increasing ripple effect requiring ever more radical adjustments to capabilities to try and achieve "balance". A balance that didn't exist.

You had a 2nd (at best) rate country, barely industrialized, with few natural resources attacking a country with the greatest industrial potential in the world, the result was foreordained. As Nimitz once stated (paraphrased); "The only suprise in the course of the war was the kamikazi". "Fun" should be derived from out-performing your historical counterparts using equivalent resources and capabilities. Not by some kind of fantasy where Japan wins the war.

Though I'll admit that giving the Japanese player some limited ahistorical control over his industrial base would definitely increase the "fun" factor...

ORIGINAL: pauk

[>:][>:][>:]

same old story....

ORIGINAL: Brady


Sometimes I think that the forum is the worst posable palce to discuss a topic, at least if you want to do it to some sort of meaningfull end.[:)]

Hmm, all those who think Japan actually had a chance to win the war please raise your hand.
User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: The Slant

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh well,
"the time has come," the Walrus said, " to talk of other things...."



Image
Attachments
walrus.jpg
walrus.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 315 times
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: The Slant

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: The Slant

Post by Brady »



"It's all masturbation anyway you slice it, so anyone coming here for a "meaningful end" is smoking crack. The best you can hope for is a circle-jerk of like-minded individuals getting off by agreeing with each other. "

Indead, thats why their is no wet spot...[:)]

Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: The Slant

Post by Mynok »

A game has just as much relation to reality as planet Xenon. What's the point of that argument? A game is entertainment, and possibly education all at once. However, it will never represent reality, let alone simulate reality, and pretending that's a goal is pie-in-the-sky at best....at least with current technology.

A game can represent reality until the very first move or order is made, at which point it becomes fantasyland by definition.

If you want an interactive movie of the Pacific War, you are looking in the wrong genre. This is a *gaming* company that sells *games*. I have no interest in rehashing the Pacific War. I want to start with the initial situation and play a game against an opponent.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: The Slant

Post by mlees »

"However, there is also a viewpoint that the game (and the war it simulates) is over by mid 1944 by the latest, and that that ending date was an indication of how imbalanced (or at least improperly modeled) game was.

Those players who hold that viewpoint feel that a perfectly played Japan should be able to stave of defeat until at least the historical dates."


I've never understood people playing past the point where "winning" by some yardstick is possible. Why bother? You're wasting time/effort that could be put into the next game. But generally speaking, if the war is over by mid-1944, the Allies obviously had far too much logistics available, far to soon, to have even thought about ending the war that quickly. Historically speaking, that's a non-starter. Which would tend to support what many people have been saying for years...too much, too soon.

I feel like I am being picked on here, somehow, when I was actually not offering any opinion one way or another in the post you quoted. *scratches head* I am not sure if I communicated myself clearly enough.

1) Japan cannot "win the war". But the Japanese player can "Win" the game by doing better than the historical commanders. This type of game is somewhat unsatisfying for some players.

1a) Some players seek to "tweak" the game in an attempt to achieve a more emotionally "satisfying" win. This approach leads to bickering with those players that want historical accuracy first and foremost.

2) Some players feel that there is "too much, too soon". With a unit OOB reflected as accurately as possible historically speaking (within the limits of the game engine), than the game ending in 1944 all, or most, the time would mean that there aren't enough restrictions on the operational tempo of the players.

2a) Opinions on what the warring nations were possibly capable of (with respect to the real life potentials that were under-utilised in real life), and what they see as limiting in the game are a little more subjective, and leads to fun times on the forums.
I've never understood people playing past the point where "winning" by some yardstick is possible. Why bother? You're wasting time/effort that could be put into the next game.

This statement makes me ask if you are of the camp that is not satisfied with (while playing Japan) doing better than the historical commanders. Do you require a clear "win"? (Where, as Japan, you still dominate the Central and Western pacific.)
But generally speaking, if the war is over by mid-1944, the Allies obviously had far too much logistics available, far to soon, to have even thought about ending the war that quickly. Historically speaking, that's a non-starter. Which would tend to support what many people have been saying for years...too much, too soon.

Or are you of the camp that feels that there is a supply side issue? (Slanted Pro-American?)

I personally feel that both of the players are allowed by the game to conduct faster and more prolonged operational tempos than might be sustained realistically.

I have no hard numbers to back up this feeling. It's just a hunch. I am not sure if it is an overabundance of supply, less supply requirement by the units, fatigue recovering too quickly, aircraft pools building up to quickly, or all of the above, and more. Since I still enjoy the game, I don't delve too deeply into it anyway.

As a side note, I think that if there were "brakes" built into the game engine to slow the tempo, you would see some posts whining about how these brakes are unfair, unrealistic, or un-fun. Most players, I am guessing, need to see some kind of action or progress in a clear way, or they would grow bored with the game. That is why (since the game allows it, as modeled) the operational tempos are so high. Players wnat to do something. they want to go out and kick some tail!

I suffer a little bit of this myself. When I think "Sigh. In 97 days (turns), I'll get the USS Wasp, and that will give me my fourth carrier. Then I can launch my counter-invasion of Wake. Big Huzzah.", I eventually remember that with one day turns, and a 4 year war, this type of tempo was what was historical, and that this game is much different from many other games in this respect.
User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: The Slant

Post by Demosthenes »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

A game has just as much relation to reality as planet Xenon. What's the point of that argument? A game is entertainment, and possibly education all at once. However, it will never represent reality, let alone simulate reality, and pretending that's a goal is pie-in-the-sky at best....at least with current technology.

A game can represent reality until the very first move or order is made, at which point it becomes fantasyland by definition.

If you want an interactive movie of the Pacific War, you are looking in the wrong genre. This is a *gaming* company that sells *games*. I have no interest in rehashing the Pacific War. I want to start with the initial situation and play a game against an opponent.
I disagree Mynok, A good historical simulation game endevors to recreate historical factors and variables as accurately as possible , with the intent that the players are put into the shoes of the actual commanders.

Drifting away from that standard may provide a fun and well balanced game, but in the process you have created a 'kid's game' - which is also fine, but not what a great many of us want.

Demo
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: The Slant

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
mlees
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:14 am
Location: San Diego

RE: The Slant

Post by mlees »

Why on earth would I pick on you?

I have no idea, since I am such a cute and cuddly (if a tad pudgy) sea otter lookin teddy bear. [:)]

In the post I pulled the quote from, and the one prior, I agree with, and try to make the same points as, everything you say. However, when my posts are dissected on a point for point basis, it makes me wonder "Where did I go wrong? Did I misspeak? Did he pull the wrong meanings from my post? Am I really that stooopid?"...
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: The Slant

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: The Slant

Post by Mynok »

ORIGINAL: Demosthenes
I disagree Mynok, A good historical simulation game endevors to recreate historical factors and variables as accurately as possible , with the intent that the players are put into the shoes of the actual commanders.

Drifting away from that standard may provide a fun and well balanced game, but in the process you have created a 'kid's game' - which is also fine, but not what a great many of us want.

It most certainly does not create a kid's game, and it is often not even a game. It's just a strategic/tactical study tool. Hey, that's fine. Those can be very interesting, but *call* it a study tool.

Here's the basic problem: the Pacific War was a dull, lifeless, boring struggle with heatstroke and malaria in between momentary and fleeting incidents of gruesomely bloody combat. Making all of that into a fun game is tough, especially since the outcome is predetermined. Victory conditions that simply require "do better than history" are always boring and force players into "ahistorical" risk taking and tactics/strategies in order to win. The point of a game is to win. If you don't care about winning then you are looking for a study tool, not a game.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: The Slant

Post by Demosthenes »

Well, that's what I'd rather have then - a study tool.[;)][8D]
ORIGINAL: Mynok
ORIGINAL: Demosthenes
I disagree Mynok, A good historical simulation game endevors to recreate historical factors and variables as accurately as possible , with the intent that the players are put into the shoes of the actual commanders.

Drifting away from that standard may provide a fun and well balanced game, but in the process you have created a 'kid's game' - which is also fine, but not what a great many of us want.

It most certainly does not create a kid's game, and it is often not even a game. It's just a strategic/tactical study tool. Hey, that's fine. Those can be very interesting, but *call* it a study tool.

Here's the basic problem: the Pacific War was a dull, lifeless, boring struggle with heatstroke and malaria in between momentary and fleeting incidents of gruesomely bloody combat. Making all of that into a fun game is tough, especially since the outcome is predetermined. Victory conditions that simply require "do better than history" are always boring and force players into "ahistorical" risk taking and tactics/strategies in order to win. The point of a game is to win. If you don't care about winning then you are looking for a study tool, not a game.

User avatar
Demosthenes
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:41 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA

RE: The Slant

Post by Demosthenes »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

ORIGINAL: witpqs

[The war was slanted toward the Allies, the game is slanted toward Japan (to make it worth playing).
I like the first part, except it wasn't "slanted toward" the Allies. Reality is reality. When you kick the sleeping gorilla in the nuts, expect to get your ass handed to you shortly.

The second part gives me a big problem. If this is so (and I'm not saying it is), it is very poor game design that departs unforgivably from the historical situation.

From Day One of wargaming, play balance has always been the role of victory conditions. The idea was to put you into a historical role and give you the opportunity to outperform your counterpart by comparing your accomplishments to what occurred historically.

"What if" considerations, like OOB variations, were strictly limited to the possibilities and included only after you had come to terms with the game itself. These days, you can't see a new game design even announced before people start clamoring for "modability."

Personally, I prefer to play the game itself, not some eat-from-one-side-or-the-other-of-the-mushroom drug trip fantasy. In WitP, for example, I evaluate my success or failure based on objective criteria I have established with a view toward first trying to figure out who the hell I am and second trying to determine how I did in comparison to that totally fictitious person's real-life accomplishments.

The WitP VP criteria (almost never mentioned in the headlong lemming rush toward "let's change this" and "I'm unhappy with that" land) were poorly thought out at the beginning and have so little relevance to all the fiddling and finagling that has been done to this game as to be - pardon the expression - irrelevant.

"Win" and "Lose" need better definition, but first, the player's role has to be identified and considerations like how well the game mechanics present historicity need to be addressed.

Good luck with all that. We've got what we've got, and I'm living with it. I suggest others do the same.


YES!!! Somebody "Gets it". Thank You, Jee-zus! First make the game as accurate a reflection of the historical realitys as research and effort can produce...., then balance the scenarios with varying "victory conditions". And then throw in an editor so that if the players want to play "Bullshit in the Pacific" they can give either of both sides whatever toys they want to for THEIR scenario. But the GAME's scenarios must be as accurate as possible. Felt like I'd been talking to the wall..., thanks for jumping in.

I agree with these two guys...

Mike, there have been a great many of us on that page for a long long time...
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: The Slant

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Here's the basic problem: the Pacific War was a dull, lifeless, boring struggle with heatstroke and malaria in between momentary and fleeting incidents of gruesomely bloody combat. Making all of that into a fun game is tough, especially since the outcome is predetermined. Victory conditions that simply require "do better than history" are always boring and force players into "ahistorical" risk taking and tactics/strategies in order to win. The point of a game is to win. If you don't care about winning then you are looking for a study tool, not a game.

Well, I respectfully disagree with all of this. If you are looking for "fun" that ignores the reality of the historical situation, you are looking to play a far different game from the one that interests me.

As for your opinion that playing to "victory conditions" rather than "winning" is "always boring," that is fine for you. I do not share that view, however.

I think your implicit definition of what constitutes "winning" is problematical. You seem to think that WitP can only be "fun" if Japan can "win" the war in the same sense that the Allies "won" historically. That's fine for you, but it just doesn't feed the bulldog for me. I enjoy playing as Japan because I am engrossed by the dual challenges of exploiting my limited capabilities at the outset to conquer what I need (and some of what I don't need) with a view toward forming a tenable defensive position, then fighting desperately to survive against an enemy that is numerically and technologically far stronger than what I have at my disposal.

It's a matter of personal taste, I suppose, but I just don't see the sense in your apparent "it's all about defeating the enemy" stance. That has never been what WitP was about, and I know of no serious wargames, computer or print, that start from this as a design idea.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: The Slant

Post by Mynok »

I didn't say "defeating the enemy". I said 'win'. It's a subtle difference to be sure, but the first implies this:
You seem to think that WitP can only be "fun" if Japan can "win" the war in the same sense that the Allies "won" historically.

Winning does not imply that at all. What is does imply is that there is competition and someone will be the victor in that competition. That is basic to the definition of a "game". Witp, no matter what you may fantasize is true, is a GAME. I agree that victory conditions are a primary tool to "balance" a situation like the Pacific war 100%. I just don't like the "do better than history" approach, especially in this particular scenario, where after a certain date, one side is simply hunkering down and getting his arse whooped.

Now...
If you are looking for "fun" that ignores the reality of the historical situation, you are looking to play a far different game from the one that interests me.

Being willing to overlook divergence from historical reality is radically different from "ignoring" historical realities. I'm all for historical and strongly researched OOBs and scenarios for a game like Witp. But once a move is made, the ability to be historically accurate is virtually nil. We lack the mathematical skills to create such a model, and then on top of that we lack enough data to input into that non-existent model.

There are any number of tweaks to the engine that I believe would help the GAME, both as a game and as a basic representation of the historical era. But some of you want far more than will ever be able to be effected with what we have today technology-wise, or you don't want a game but rather a detailed, interactive history of the Pacific War.

My only concern is that the latter will get their wish and it will ruin (for me and others) this GAME I enjoy playing.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: The Slant

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: The Slant

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Mynok
But some of you want far more than will ever be able to be effected with what we have today technology-wise, or you don't want a game but rather a detailed, interactive history of the Pacific War.
I don't wanna argue this, but you obviously haven't been paying attention to what people have been saying. First, I don't want anything more from this game. It is, after 1.8, playable in accordance with my definition. There is too much danger that changes to the code will just build in more headaches than we currently have.
My only concern is that the latter will get their wish and it will ruin (for me and others) this GAME I enjoy playing.
Nobody is "wishing." Many are "discussing." For my money, it's all "beside the point" with respect to WitP.

Makes me think of the campy scene from one of the great camp movies of all time, "The Ten Commandments," where Charlie "machine gun" Heston is waltzing down from the mountain with the stone tablets. While he was up the hill, Dathan the overseer who has been out of work since the Hebrews left Egypt (played in a hilarious piece of casting by Edward G. Robinson: "Yah, ya dirty rats, where's yer Moses now? Come back to Egypt and worship the Golden Calf, at least there's food. Now, whoever's got my gat cough it up, see, or there'll be trouble") has fomented revolution. Charlie - I mean, Moses - casts the tablets at the Hebrews, the ground opens up, and chaos erupts.

At that point, Mogami needs to appear mystically from the swirl of smoke and flame and say, in his most Jehovah-like voice, "Woe be it unto him who disbelieveth in the Lord and attempteth War in the Pacific Two!" Can you imagine what that poor b@stard will have to put up with from all us hamsterheads? It would take more than a fool to rush in there.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
juliet7bravo
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: The Slant

Post by juliet7bravo »

xxx
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: The Slant

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
... casts the tablets at the Hebrews, the ground opens up, and chaos erupts.

And the fifteen commandments became ten... (Mel Brooks)
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: The Slant

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: juliet7bravo

Yeah, but it keeps up off the streets and out of the bars...
What - you haven't seen the "Poker and WitP" machines at the corner pub?

Then, out on the corner are the dope dealers. "Hey, man, leave me aks you sumpin'. Want some of this WitP sh1t? It be bad, baby ... make you forget all 'bout dat crank."
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”