Corsair not a killer but crap??

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

rroberson
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:53 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Im the allies ;)

Post by rroberson »

ORIGINAL: aletoledo

its a PBEM game, using 1.8 and NikMod. my understanding is that NikMod has really reduced the Uber-Corsair of the stock game, so I don't think you guys should have a heart-attack seeing this.

I think the real reason the results are as they are is because I try to have all my pilots at 95exp before going into battle. these are some of the zero pilots that fought in the battle (there first since training really). I've found that the central pacific island never have bad weather to scrub a mission and thus you can train pilots every day constantly.



Image


Trust me, he isnt killing nearly as many of my corsairs as the FOW would have you believe. And as the allies, I can certainly afford the losses. Each pilot he loses he has a horrid time replacing. The air battles over kwaj are just one piece of a master plan to attrit his air units through out the theatre as Ale has hinted. While he is kicking my ass over Kwaj...he is paying for it because he lacks "decent" pilots over his other theatres. I completely control the skies of Rabaul and I am well on my way to doing the same in the southern DEI, and I can do what ever I please over Burma. All due to heavy heavy losses on his part. I payed for it to be sure...but again, I have the units to spend.

Its not a particularly "realistic" game. But it has been easily the most enjoyable game of the several I am involved in. I really outta get off my ass and do a write up of it...I think Ale's strategy in this game border's on PZBs for brillance, but shows that in the end, the American war machine will conquer all.
Image
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by captskillet »

I agree dtravel....all these 'experienced' Japanese pilots obained all this experience flying escort missions and doing bombing runs on virtually undefended Chinese cities (well there was the Chinese Air Force [:D]) !!!! Thats like saying that the game experience gained by LSU playing Alabama in football is the same as LSU playing The Citadel!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Ron Saueracker »

How high would Erich Hartmann be rated in WITP? 300? 400? HJ Marseille? Moelders? Utilizing a rating field of 1-99 and then having most pilots in the 80s and 90s basically disables the rating scheme. Ben Affleck (Welch) is in the high 90s at the start of the game! Maybe he rates this after WW2 and after he breaks the sound barrier in an F86 before the Yaeger as a test pilot but as an untried combat pilot on December 7th? I've said for I can't remember how long that pilots should all be dropped by at least 25% and have any experience gain higher than 75(loer?) come through A2A kills only. (Bombers do not get this A2A as the gunners are neither flying the plane or dropping the ordnance.)
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by captskillet »

or any RAF unit that been through the BOB vs that very same Luftwaffe.........you cant tell me that the experience those guys gained fighting Galland, Priller and Molders flying BF109's is the same as Lt. Wo Han flying I-15's [8|] [:D] !
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

How high would Erich Hartmann be rated in WITP? 300? 400? HJ Marseille? Moelders? Utilizing a rating field of 1-99 and then having most pilots in the 80s and 90s basically disables the rating scheme. Ben Affleck (Welch) is in the high 90s at the start of the game! Maybe he rates this after WW2 and after he breaks the sound barrier in an F86 before the Yaeger as a test pilot but as an untried combat pilot on December 7th? I've said for I can't remember how long that pilots should all be dropped by at least 25% and have any experience gain higher than 75(loer?) come through A2A kills only. (Bombers do not get this A2A as the gunners are neither flying the plane or dropping the ordnance.)
ORIGINAL: captskillet

or any RAF unit that been through the BOB vs that very same Luftwaffe.........you cant tell me that the experience those guys gained fighting Galland, Priller and Molders flying BF109's is the same as Lt. Wo Han flying I-15's [8|] [:D] !

You guys are forgetting that they weren't in the "Big League" over there in Europe...[8|]
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Big B

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

How high would Erich Hartmann be rated in WITP? 300? 400? HJ Marseille? Moelders? Utilizing a rating field of 1-99 and then having most pilots in the 80s and 90s basically disables the rating scheme. Ben Affleck (Welch) is in the high 90s at the start of the game! Maybe he rates this after WW2 and after he breaks the sound barrier in an F86 before the Yaeger as a test pilot but as an untried combat pilot on December 7th? I've said for I can't remember how long that pilots should all be dropped by at least 25% and have any experience gain higher than 75(loer?) come through A2A kills only. (Bombers do not get this A2A as the gunners are neither flying the plane or dropping the ordnance.)
ORIGINAL: captskillet

or any RAF unit that been through the BOB vs that very same Luftwaffe.........you cant tell me that the experience those guys gained fighting Galland, Priller and Molders flying BF109's is the same as Lt. Wo Han flying I-15's [8|] [:D] !

You guys are forgetting that they weren't in the "Big League" over there in Europe...[8|]

Eh?
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

ORIGINAL: Big B

You guys are forgetting that they weren't in the "Big League" over there in Europe...[8|]

Eh?

Sarcasm Ron..[;)]
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Big B

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

ORIGINAL: Big B

You guys are forgetting that they weren't in the "Big League" over there in Europe...[8|]

Eh?

Sarcasm Ron..[;)]

Not at all, I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to say here. Went right over my head...I must be stressed over my hockey team playing like the wussy white collars around town.[:)]
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by captskillet »

Brian like that new avatar.......They Were Expendable!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Brian like that new avatar.......They Were Expendable!
Thanks Captskillet...he was another "Big B"[8D]
joliverlay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:12 am

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by joliverlay »

Actually the Corsar downed 2,140 enemy aircraft for the loss of only 189 in air to air combat. It was more than 10:1 in favor of the F4U in real life. So if it seems overpowered, it WAS. Other losses were 349 to flack, 164 in landing accidents, and the remainder to other causes.

Not the correct thread, but those saying the AVF should be nerfed also need to check their stats as well. AVG destoyed 296 Japanese in air to air for the loss of only 12 aircraft in air to air combat. This is why the Japs get no advantage against AVG in 1941-2, they did not have one in realy life, not nearly. These guys were hand picked and very very good at what they did.
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by captskillet »

Why my new one (avatar) no show..........any suggestions??????
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
joliverlay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:12 am

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by joliverlay »

What kind of file type is it. I cant get the properties to come up.
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: Mynok


I agree they shouldn't be allowed to train above 70 or so with that method. And I'm a card carrying Jap fanboy. [:D]

But they should be allowed to speed up the horrendously slow Training mission by using ground attack.

Seems to me that the weather is so bad throughout the empire, at least in the opening months, there's no way to achieve this, besides, it's not like a advantage since ALL nations can train like that. Look at all those ridiculous amount of missions! It's debateable what hurts IJ more, all those supplies used to achieve it, or having average or lousy pilots.
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: veji1

hmmm... I hadn't thought about it, but I guess this is a fair point, If you wait for your toys, expect your ennemy to be ready when they arrive..

Nevertheless, the Idea that you can reach exp 99 without seeing an ennemy is still not right... there should be a ceiling of some sort, at 80 maybe...

Yes, I thought there was a ceiling for mere training, be that 70 or 80.
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Mynok »


I don't have any supply problems as Japan. (Cue RonRant [:D]) It still takes at least 45 days to get a group from exp 40ish to 70ish. I find I need them to move to the front by then, so I've never gone for the 100+ missions it takes to get them in the 80s and 90s.

My method is to pull a group out of the front line when they are down to 20-30% strength and refill with trainees. This keeps a cadre of good pilots in the group. Works pretty well, though I do find I'm short of front line groups from time to time (especially IJA).
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by captskillet »

supposed to be a jpg
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Simple. The so-called "Turkey Shoot" never took place, being merely a figment of American post-war propaganda...[:'(]

ABSOLUTELY TRUE! All those incompetant Japanese Bozos REALLY flew straight into the ocean when trying to take off. They just gave the US credit for shooting them down to "save face".
jolly_pillager
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:35 pm

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by jolly_pillager »

roll rate at low speed and small turn radii (in the horizontal plane) are the least important attributes a WWII fighter plane had. Speed, climb rate, dive rate, armor protection, firepower, more speed, and yet more speed were the important things.

Being able to outturn an opponent is meaningless if the opponent does not elect to get into a turning fight, whereas the ability to outrun, outdive and outclimb an opponent gives you complete domination of the battle.

Which is not to say that the Zeros didn't continue to score against American fighters right up to the end...they did, but at a hugely unfavorable ratio.
Big B
Posts: 4642
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:41 pm
Location: Cali
Contact:

RE: Corsair not a killer but crap??

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Why my new one (avatar) no show..........any suggestions??????
ORIGINAL: captskillet

supposed to be a jpg
Hey skipper, are you trying to change your avatar and having no luck?
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”