Lunacy or Shrewdness?

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Workers of Empire Rejoice... and increase HI production...

Post by Nemo121 »

Veji,

Precisely. I only have 4 BBs available for the attack on Karachi BUT in 1 week's time another 4 of my starting BBs ( sys damage 10 to 15) will leave Japan and head for Karachi. They will be joined by YAMATO!!!! which is due on 16th May. My massive expansion of naval shipyards is really starting to pay dividends as Yamato has been intermittently accelerated and will be arriving in time to take part in the invasion of New Zealand.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/09/42


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Dutch Harbor at 103,36

Japanese Ships
SS I-7, hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Anchorage at 111,31

Japanese Ships
SS I-6

Allied Ships
DD Hammann
DD Dewey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

And let us not forget that Amchitka is due for invasion also. With the destruction of two American carriers I am shifting forces to re-occupy Palmyra, base a few Bettys there and try to interdict American resupply of Fiji and Canton. This is forcing Trey to look for offensive opportunities in areas where his lack of carriers will not be as handicapping. The terrible weather in the Aleutians is tailor-made for this strategy. Of course it also plays into my hands in terms of assymetrical attrition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ahmadabad , at 24,8


Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 9
Blenheim IF x 5


Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Runway hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Nanning , at 40,38

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 29

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 33
Ki-48 Lily x 85

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged


Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported

Airbase hits 23
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 91

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Bombay , at 20,10

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-26B Marauder x 53
B-17E Fortress x 39
LB-30 Liberator x 51

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46-II Dinah: 5 destroyed
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed


Japanese ground losses:
382 casualties reported

Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 174

Frisky. Trey's trying to keep both Ahmadabad and Bombay closed. He can succeed in this only so long as he receives no major setback in the air. Once the first setback occurs both bases should come online quite quickly and this will allow me to keep the airfield at Karachi closed ( with bombers based out of Ahmadabad and Samir) and destroy enemy naval forces ( via Bettys and Nells flying out of Bombay). It is all getting very complicated.

I will fly the fighters in on the 11th and the army bombers will follow on the 12th or 13th, depending on enemy reactions. Naval bombers should follow on the 15th or 16th and Samir should open by about the 20th. I'm quite unsure of how this will work out as I can only commit 300 fighters to Ahmadabad on the 11th but by the 16th should have approximately 1500 planes in the Indian theatre ( Colombo, Dacca, Bombay, Ahmadabad and various transport plane bases which I'm using to fly in emergency reinforcements to provide me with the aviation support required for all of these planes.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 19
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

No Japanese losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 14
Hudson I x 40
B-17E Fortress x 46


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Genkai Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
134 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 35
Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 3

Port attacks. I will see if they continue once the freighters leave port. If they do then Trey is definitely planning an attack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 29


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 23rd Mixed Brigade, at 102,74


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 14
LB-30 Liberator x 38


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 5 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 16 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
79 casualties reported
Guns lost 10

About half of all American four-engined bombers committed to this attack suffer damage from the vicious AAA at Johnston. This is a most gratifying result. 5 of the four-engined bombers succumb to their wounds on the return leg of their journey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 48th Division, at 22,4


Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 12
Blenheim IV x 25
Wellington III x 26
Martin 139 x 2
Beaufort V-IX x 12
P-40B Tomahawk x 5
P-40E Warhawk x 6
IL-4c x 6


Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
62 casualties reported
Guns lost 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 71st Chinese Division, at 39,36

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 27
Ki-32 Mary x 3

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 46th Chinese Corps, at 45,35

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 45

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
16 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 255th Indian Tank Brigade, at 14,24

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 75
Ki-21 Sally x 110
Ki-49 Helen x 39
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 6 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged


Allied ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 6
D3A Val x 12
B5N Kate x 49
Ki-27 Nate x 64
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 9
Ki-30 Ann x 9
Ki-51 Sonia x 15
Ki-15 Babs x 2

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
23 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo Base Force, at 14,24

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 69
Ki-21 Sally x 134
Ki-49 Helen x 52
Ki-46-II Dinah x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 3 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 3 damaged


Allied ground losses:
54 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Anchorage at 111,31

Japanese Ships
SS I-6, hits 4, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Hammann
DD Dewey


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,31

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2186 troops, 0 guns, 143 vehicles, Assault Value = 153

Defending force 17269 troops, 139 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 529

Japanese max assault: 76 - adjusted assault: 30

Allied max defense: 529 - adjusted defense: 175

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 8

Allied ground losses:
53 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Another Tank Regiment making it across the river. It'll take a while for them to recover but recover they will. Then they will attack and, if succesful, join the infantry division which is across the river 60 miles to their east in a combined drive on Chengtu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 10260 troops, 166 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 199

Defending force 3475 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 107

Japanese max assault: 188 - adjusted assault: 178

Allied max defense: 82 - adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 25 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
30 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Guns lost 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5322 troops, 182 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Defending force 2040 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2



Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Workers of Empire Rejoice... and increase HI production...

Post by Nemo121 »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/10/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Colombo, at 14,24 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!


Allied aircraft
no flights


Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed

10 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba
CA Kumano
CA Suzuya
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami, Shell hits 1
CA Nachi
CA Haguro
CA Maya
BB Hyuga
BB Yamashiro
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato


Allied ground losses:
1605 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Airbase hits 31
Airbase supply hits 12
Runway hits 174
Port hits 5
Port fuel hits 1

Different day, same sh1t

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Nanning , at 40,38

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 25

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 32
Ki-48 Lily x 76

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 2 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 1 destroyed, 13 damaged


Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 58

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ledo , at 36,25

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 22
G4M1 Betty x 21

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 1 destroyed


Allied ground losses:
1 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 2
Hudson I x 26


No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported

Port hits 2
Port supply hits 2

I've pulled the Claudes and Nates out of Koepang with the aim of rebuilding them, changing them to A6M3s and Oscars and then returning in full force at the appropriate time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 23rd Mixed Brigade, at 102,74


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6
LB-30 Liberator x 24


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 1 destroyed, 18 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
121 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

The 2nd day's air raids on Johnston are significantly weaker. I consider this a major success for the FlAK defences of Johnston.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 38th Chinese Division, at 45,35

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 45

No Japanese losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 71st Chinese Division, at 39,36

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 25
Ki-32 Mary x 3

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
2 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 30
D3A Val x 12
B5N Kate x 51
Ki-27 Nate x 96
Ki-30 Ann x 7
Ki-51 Sonia x 13
Ki-15 Babs x 2

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
82 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

I'm taking the opportunity to train my land-based Kates and Vals. Soon, once my carriers reach port in Japan, these units will be joined by my carrier-based Kates and Vals. I intend the next committment of my carrier force to have the best chance of success possible. This requires finely trained pilots. Since this committment appears to be on the order of 45 to 60 days away there is no reason why I can't increase my pilot quality significantly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 2nd USMC Defense Bn , at 108,86

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 6 damaged


Allied ground losses:
1 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

A little test of what is present at the little atoll just beside Palmyra.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 51st Base Force, at 108,86

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 6 damaged


Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported

A base force and what may be a CD unit from its name. Doesn't sound like anything near sufficient force to defeat a regimental landing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 31,66

Japanese Ships
TK Kaijo Maru

Allied Ships
SS Nautilus


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Karachi

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 157577 troops, 1588 guns, 394 vehicles, Assault Value = 3165

Defending force 124115 troops, 1029 guns, 235 vehicles, Assault Value = 1786

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 8

Japanese max assault: 4751 - adjusted assault: 3584

Allied max defense: 1872 - adjusted defense: 9689

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)


Japanese ground losses:
10963 casualties reported
Guns lost 119
Vehicles lost 43

Allied ground losses:
532 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 1

Heavy losses but the fort levels were dropped. I ordered a Shock Attack because I was expecting to face an adjusted AV of about 4,000. The adjusted defence of almost 10,000 was QUITE a shock. Still, if the airfield is closed, the enemy fleet neutralised and my battleline committed it should still fall.

Australian units are also present. This is a surprise. Trey tells me he shipped one of the Aussie units in by convoy and has some of the others teleporting in after 60 day delays. This is going to make things much, much tougher in India but, conversely, makes the capture of all of Australia much more possible. I think Trey is going to end up regretting committing these irreplaceable Australian units to India.

Question: If I take Karachi while an Aussie division is, for example, 1 month away from arriving what happens to this division? Does it disappear, go into limbo until re-assigned to a different HQ or does it just revert back to its old HQ?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Colombo

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37925 troops, 398 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 799

Defending force 17322 troops, 40 guns, 272 vehicles, Assault Value = 156

Japanese max assault: 681 - adjusted assault: 569

Allied max defense: 106 - adjusted defense: 664

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 9)


Japanese ground losses:
953 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 3

Allied ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Close but no cigar! I'll wait and once the bombers are based at Ahmadabad I should have more than sufficient supply to really improve the AV of my divisions and make serious headway here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Nanning

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 12993 troops, 193 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 244

Defending force 12312 troops, 46 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 270

Japanese max assault: 246 - adjusted assault: 120

Allied max defense: 275 - adjusted defense: 111

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0


Japanese ground losses:
318 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Allied ground losses:
98 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Shock Attack tomorrow I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 10263 troops, 164 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 200

Defending force 3477 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 108

Japanese max assault: 191 - adjusted assault: 370

Allied max defense: 84 - adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 74 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
47 casualties reported


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 27,1

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2257 troops, 0 guns, 144 vehicles, Assault Value = 81

Defending force 500 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese max assault: 77 - adjusted assault: 156

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 156 to 1


Allied ground losses:
1032 casualties reported

And a bit more mopping up is concluded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5295 troops, 180 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Defending force 2020 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2



Allied ground losses:
67 casualties reported


Tomorrow the air warr Ahmadabad will be recommenced. The airbase is still heavily damaged but I daren't wait any longer as Trey is certain to hit it in order to close it again ASAP. The airbase needs to be at below 70 runway damage in order for my CAP to fly. It is currently at 61 % runway damage. This means that almost no damage can be sustained if Ahmadabad is to remain open.

LOL! It is tense but I really do enjoy running operations on a knife-edge. This wouldn't be nearly as much fun if Ahmadabad was fully repaired and it was pretty certain the gambit would succeed.


Image
Attachments
10may42.jpg
10may42.jpg (206.22 KiB) Viewed 270 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/11/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Airbase hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Koepang at 28,77

Japanese Ships
AK Aden Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS Shark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna
MSW Courtenay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ahmadabad , at 24,8

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 40
A6M3 Zero x 3
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 41

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IF x 3
Blenheim I x 28
Blenheim IV x 39
Wellington III x 43
Martin 139 x 3
B-26B Marauder x 56
B-17E Fortress x 88
LB-30 Liberator x 53
IL-4c x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 15 destroyed, 10 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 4 destroyed, 22 damaged
A5M4 Claude: 4 destroyed
Ki-57-II Topsy: 2 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Blenheim I: 13 destroyed, 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 9 destroyed, 7 damaged
Wellington III: 10 destroyed, 18 damaged
Martin 139: 3 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 3 destroyed, 10 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 5 destroyed, 36 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 8 destroyed, 21 damaged
IL-4c: 3 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
969 casualties reported
Guns lost 47

Airbase hits 19
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 108

This was fairly bloody alright. Fortunately the massing of my engineers at Ahmadabad in preparation for this attack AND the AAA seems to have done enough to both throw off the enemy bombardiers' aims and repair what damage was done. Runway damage rises to 68%. The fighters will fly again tomorrow and with so many bombers damaged it seems the Allies will have difficulty gathering the morale to pierce my fighter screen again. I rate this as a qualified success.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 29
Ki-48 Lily x 59
Ki-15 Babs x 5

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed
Ki-48 Lily: 3 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 destroyed


Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase hits 7
Runway hits 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Malir , at 22,4


Allied aircraft
Beaufort V-IX x 9
P-40B Tomahawk x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 10


No Allied losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 87
A6M3 Zero x 6
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 118
Ki-21 Sally x 311
Ki-49 Helen x 92
Ki-46-II Dinah x 9

Allied aircraft
Fulmar x 13
Lysander I x 30
Mohawk IV x 12
Hurricane II x 44
Blenheim IF x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 11 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 66 destroyed Really massive losses. The Oscars did almost no good whatsoever. Over 3/4 of Allied fighter losses were to the smaller number of Zeroes which accompanied the strike.
Ki-21 Sally: 5 destroyed, 37 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed, 9 damaged
No allied fighters got within range of my bombers which seemed to decisively aid their aim. The runway damage at Karachi is in the 40s and enemy aerial and ground losses are horrific. Fully 440 airplanes are destroyed in this day's fighting with 302 of those being Allies and 138 being Japanese.

Allied aircraft losses
Fulmar: 13 destroyed
Lysander I: 32 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 14 destroyed
Hurricane II: 54 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 3 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 11 destroyed
LB-30 Liberator: 4 destroyed
Buffalo I: 4 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 8 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 4 destroyed
Catalina I: 4 destroyed
Swordfish: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 6 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 3 destroyed
B-17E Fortress: 3 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 3 destroyed

Enemy bombers escaped relatively lightly as most were in the air returning from Ahmadabad. The enemy fighter force, however, was grievously wounded. Over the next few days follow-up attacks will destroy the damaged enemy bombers on the ground and continue to whittle down the fighter strength until such time as it is opportune to commit my naval bombers for the purpose of destroying the enemy surface fleet.

Allied ground losses:
240 casualties reported
Guns lost 10
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 71
Airbase supply hits 17
Runway hits 461

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 2
Hudson I x 9


Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Port supply hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 23rd Mixed Brigade, at 102,74


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3
LB-30 Liberator x 13


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

A paltry raid compared to what was committed a bare three days previously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Nanning

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 12602 troops, 180 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 222

Defending force 12157 troops, 44 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 263

Japanese max assault: 448 - adjusted assault: 280

Allied max defense: 266 - adjusted defense: 161

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0


Japanese ground losses:
258 casualties reported
Guns lost 17

Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Hmm, just missed the 2:1. Disappointing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 10249 troops, 167 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 198

Defending force 3420 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 102

Japanese max assault: 187 - adjusted assault: 370

Allied max defense: 80 - adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 52 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,31

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2307 troops, 5 guns, 148 vehicles, Assault Value = 232

Defending force 16979 troops, 125 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 523

Japanese max assault: 62 - adjusted assault: 140

Allied max defense: 526 - adjusted defense: 183

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 7

Allied ground losses:
55 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Another tank regiment takes the requisite losses to move into position north-east of Chungking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Karachi

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 3012 troops, 102 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2967

Defending force 126283 troops, 1039 guns, 232 vehicles, Assault Value = 1796


Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Guns lost 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5335 troops, 180 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Defending force 1960 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2


Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported


Below you can see an overview of my losses. The Oscar losses are very high but from now on it will probably suffice to engage the enemy bombers with fighters which only have the power to damage and not destroy. Translation: With morale in the dumps even Oscars can drive off enemy bombers. They might get no kills but the mere fact that they engage will cause Allied bombers to turn back. My Zeroes will be used to cover future attacks with the Oscars defending.

Other points to note: Enemy four-engined bomber strength is taking a beating. If this continues I could total 500 four-engined bombers destroyed by the end of May. This would put a bit of a crimp into Allied airpower and so I'll try my best.


Image
Attachments
12may42.jpg
12may42.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 270 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Rob Brennan UK
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:36 pm
Location: London UK

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

Thanks for coming back Nemo ! .. OK i apologise for the appalling joke by the way [;)].. weFans have no sense of decorum when deprived of info in such a nailbiting game [:D]

You asked about units in mid transfer to karachi? I am not 100% sure BUT i think they will be in limbo untill Karachi gets liberated. BUT new Australian or NZ units will come into sydney and wellington . however ALL british units inc AC will remain in-limbo forever. He may as well be transferring american ground forces from Cont USA .. thsy will i think remain in limbo too.

Karachi

Looks like you finally hit his AF with with enough strength to badly hurt the RAF and allies . the hurricane losses are horrific ! and lysnaders cant upgrade unless he has more Huriicanes in his pool wgich i suspect is completely empty. RE Oscar losses .. good idea with them as bomber deterrant , maybe send some on Sweeps too at high altitude over karachi .. they will perform better unattached to bomber groups and you 'might' well bounce some CAP into going home before the bomber stream arrives.

Colombo

Has recieved a large number of supply hits from the battleline and as such his supply must be dwindling. However early game its easy for the UK to send in 1 million supply to colombo if started in Dec .. he also seems to have stopped shelling you .. might be a sign .maybe start an artillery duel with him and keep an eye on the AV of his inf divs in the combat screen.

Lilys ! .. well .. they do have a habit of dropping like flies . but you are hurting chungking AF badly now and with him cut off supply may be dwindling .. BUT i think that chungking recives a set amount every day(300??) ( even though this should stop when the hex is opposed) .. maybe someone else can answer this with confidence.

Allied bomber morale with 4E is very very dodgy and plummets even in good conditions. 2E do seem to fare much better , even though they are less of a threat. I'm thinking Trey might have done better by 'upgrading' the LB30's to B26B's earlier on as these planes have great guns and can fight japanese a/c well . LB30's are the weakest 4E allied bomber by quite a bit iirc. easier to maintain and a nice big pool to draw on too ..

Koepang ..

Yikes .. nates and claudes ! .. hope you didnt lose too many claude pilots .. i assume you dont have any zeros to upgrade them right now .. IF you can keep timor .. it will help a LOT in the long run. I suspect he's very tempted to attack here soon . i wonder if he's prepped properly though. or if he has a good SC TF for bombardment duty. have you got nell/betty in kendari ? .. Lautern is worth building imo too . Dili .. however is on the 'wrong' side of the island for him and is a malarial pit .. i'd leave it alone with a garisson strong enough to resist para attack but thats it. re-inforce Koepang ASSP with ground troops if your able to.

Central Pacific

Johnson seems to be a graveyard for allied 4E bombers even with 'weak' stock AA guns .. i am suprised but nevertheless pleased with the results.. as you suggested .. might as well hang onto palmyra and the others as long as you can with him losing 2 CV's . a few nells might really hurt his transports especially from christmas ( max level 5 AF). with stock map they might even reach the map edge but im not sure TBH..

North Pac ..

If he invades here he realy is desperate ! .. maybe trey feels the need to do something agressive, with your main force obviously engaged in an indian compaign.

If i was him .. i'd posture toward the north and central pac .. while havign a whopping invasion fleet heading or waiting near the S PAC area .. when KB is confirmed miles away from this theatre .. time to beef up canton and re-take any lost islands that inhibit the USA -AUSTRALIA route. I seriously doubt he's even contemplating you invading NZ or australia right now. If you bog down 102 divs in Timor .. invasion australia becomes a LOT easier .. ( although i really cant see the point of it )( other than kudos ! ) [:D].. NZ yes .. starve australia .. hit the resources with air .. maybe land at perth/darwin for the resources .. they will be 1/4'd when re-taken. NE australia also has resources iirc in cooktown and cairns .. also probably lightly defended .. townsville will be a lot tougher though.. Rockhampton would be a good invasion point though if you intend to sever the country . its on rail .. will be almost empty .. ( i assume ) .. and is v close to brisbane .

well after your much appreciated posts .. us fans should show some respect with opinions ( of varied quality i might add [;)] or our own)

Good luck as always !

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
User avatar
Redd
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: Livermore,CA.

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Redd »

Hey guys, I'm still watching too! I wont comment as i'm reading the other aar as well, but let me just say that this aar ROCKS!!![&o]  I hope that you guys keep this going till the bitter end. I always check this thread first, as this is one of the most informative and educational aars that I have read so far. And kudos to you too, Rob.I see you commenting on many threads and aars, helping to keep up the good spirit and keep these writers writing. For a guy who "just can't type", you are quite prolific![;)][:D]
User avatar
Rob Brennan UK
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:36 pm
Location: London UK

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

ORIGINAL: Redd

Hey guys, I'm still watching too! I wont comment as i'm reading the other aar as well, but let me just say that this aar ROCKS!!![&o] I hope that you guys keep this going till the bitter end. I always check this thread first, as this is one of the most informative and educational aars that I have read so far. And kudos to you too, Rob.I see you commenting on many threads and aars, helping to keep up the good spirit and keep these writers writing. For a guy who "just can't type", you are quite prolific![;)][:D]

Thanks Redd..

I seem to be getting more practise recently [:D]

Also with my PBEM game on hold ( opponent just married and now extremely busy with a new business venture ) i'm living others vicariously [;)]

compared to Nemo however, i'm 'mute' [;)]
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

LOL! Quite alright. It is nice to get some feedback cause I find it gets harder and harder to put the effort into writing down my thinking etc without feedback...

As to British units... Well Trey and I agreed that if India fell then while NO Indian units would be allowed to get reinforcements British and West African unitsas well as RAF squadrons and British naval units could use the HQ switch game mechanism to "teleport" to either the USA or Australia for the duration of the game.

We've also discussed Chinese units and have agreed that for as long as a single Chinese city remains in Allied hands the Chinese units which Trey seems to have "teleported" into the Soviet Union an continue receiving reinforcements. Once the last Chinese city falls then these units in the Soviet Union MUST have their replacements turned off. Unfortunately it looks to me like the Chinese units Trey has received havemoved to block precisely the route I wish my main group of forces to take into the Soviet Union.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/12/42


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1027 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Guysborough
MSW Caraquet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 49 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36


Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 49 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36


Japanese ground losses:
47 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

I've dropped an engineer battalion onto Adak Island in order to make it look like I am planning offensive actions in the Aleutians ( and to prepare an airfield in case I actually do decide to go for Dutch Harbour ( something I might consider after taking New Zealand IF and only IF I consider Hawaii to be too strongly defended to succesfully attack) )sooner rather than later. I would love to encourage the Allies to accept heavy operational losses of their bomber squadrons in order to bomb an insignificant force on an insignificant island into the ground.

The heavy MSW activity around Dutch Harbour makes me more certain than ever that Trey IS going to make for either Amchitka or Kiska.... My betting is that he'll go for Amchitka... I have 1,000 AV, over 11,500 mines and enough FlAK and CD guns to make any landing there suicidal...

I'm beginning to build Kiska up in order to secure a Level 2 airbase for Zeroes, dive-bombers etc to support some favourable attrition of Allied transports during the invasion.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ahmadabad , at 24,8

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29
A6M3 Zero x 3
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 28

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 11
Blenheim IV x 23
Wellington III x 23
Beaufort V-IX x 9
B-26B Marauder x 45
B-17E Fortress x 47
LB-30 Liberator x 29
IL-4c x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 14 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 1 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 5 destroyed, 10 damaged
Ki-57-II Topsy: 1 destroyed
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 4 destroyed
A5M4 Claude: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 5 destroyed, 5 damaged
Wellington III: 2 destroyed, 14 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 6 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 5 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 2 destroyed, 20 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 6 damaged
IL-4c: 2 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
378 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 22

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 9000 feet
3 x Wellington III bombing at 9000 feet
10 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 9000 feet
1 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 9000 feet
2 x Wellington III bombing at 9000 feet
3 x Wellington III bombing at 9000 feet
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 9000 feet
1 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 9000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 9000 feet
3 x LB-30 Liberator bombing at 9000 feet
3 x B-26B Marauder bombing at 9000 feet

I have included the list of bombers which actually made it through so that everyone can see just how few Allied bombers got through. Only 38 bombers of the 190 committed to the strike actually made it through my CAP. 24 were shot down and a number of others succumbed to their wounds on the journey back to Karachi. The most important point, however, is that the enemy bomber morale appears to be very low and this should guarantee that future Allied bomber attacks should be warded off relatively easily.

The number of damaged Allied planes is also important as it will result in many of them being grounded on the morrow, where my own twin-engined bombers can attrit them at little cost.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 27
Ki-48 Lily x 98
Ki-15 Babs x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 3 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 1 damaged

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Unfortunately these attacks are proving ineffective and it will prove necessary to commit the Lilys at 6,000 feet instead of 21,000 feet in order to more quickly wear down the Chinese defenders in Chungking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 20
Hudson I x 44
B-17E Fortress x 69


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
395 casualties reported
Guns lost 15

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 106
Port fuel hits 3

AAA losses are heavy as the fortifications which act to protect my AAA units on Johnston have not yet been prepared at Koepang. There is little chance of my AAA formations winning this battle but, then again, they don't have to ;). Simply providing the pretence of defence will be sufficient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 5
Hudson I x 22


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported

Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 23rd Mixed Brigade, at 102,74


Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3
LB-30 Liberator x 9


Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 6 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
23 casualties reported

This should be the last four-engined attack on Johnston Island for some time. Fully 3/4 of the bombers committed to this raid are damaged and a couple appear to have crashed on the way back to Pearl Harbour. So, the key lesson to learn here is that two AAA regiments in the presence of supplies and fortifications are, even in stock games, sufficient to win an attritional battle with enemy four-engined bombers. One will not down massive numbers of the enemy four-engined bombers but a combination of bombers damaged and morale loss will tend to disrupt the enemy bomber offensive to a sufficient degree to allow the targetted island to function effectively.

I have done a count of my forces and I believe that once China, India and Northern Australia have been eliminated it should prove possible to station a FlAK Division ( 9 FlAK Battalions) at each of my key holdings in the Pacific. This is the concrete realisation of the foreseen benefits of a one-front war. Fighting along one front with limited basing opportunities and limited avenues of attack allows the Japanese forces to concentrate their forces most effectively and cause a shift away from attritional fighting and towards large-scale but temporally concentrated battles of decision. It is my contention that rather than seeking to avoid such battles of decision the Japanese player should, so long as a minimum of prerequisites are met, welcome them as it is possible for the Japanese player to "win" this type of battle. There are, of course, strategic and operational counters to this strategy but the time it will take to happen upon these counters and incorporate them into doctrine will be time gained by my forces once they transition to the defensive role.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 32
D3A Val x 30
B5N Kate x 49
Ki-27 Nate x 74
Ki-51 Sonia x 15
Ki-15 Babs x 2

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
110 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Training continues. My carrier strike wings are on the way to Mindanao in order to begin training replacements in time for the carrier battles due to begin in 3 months time hile the carriers themselves are undergoing repair in Japan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Adak Island at 98,36


Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 10


Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Tatuho Maru
PG Chohakusan Maru

The forces committed to this invasion are disposable. They will be lost. It is of no great consequence. In fact, to one way of thinking a certain level of loss is welcome as it will tend to create the impression of a serious invasion. Since I don't want to lose too many AKs and APs I think I'll commit mostly AGs to Adak with the occasional AK being slipped in both in order to simulate a serious resupply effort and to actually drop off some supplies ;). There's no need to make it too easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 10224 troops, 167 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 198

Defending force 3420 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 102

Japanese max assault: 378 - adjusted assault: 242

Allied max defense: 81 - adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 48 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
296 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

Allied ground losses:
68 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

*sigh* The usual cut off force BS. More thought should really have gone into this special rule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5372 troops, 183 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 54

Defending force 1930 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2



Allied ground losses:
23 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Karachi

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2212 troops, 88 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1817

Defending force 188638 troops, 1500 guns, 254 vehicles, Assault Value = 2949


Japanese ground losses:
134 casualties reported

Allied AV has doubled since my initial attack. While I had sufficient ground forces to prevail against the initial forces I do not have sufficient force to prevail against the reinforced defenders. Concentrated battleline bombardment and the destruction of their support services combined with aerial bombardment by 500+ twin-engined bombers and paraborne seizure of critical areas should provide the answer.

It isn't yet time to bring my Bettys and Nells into play. The enemy ability to launch bomber attacks needs to be more fully neutered first.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

I'll answer point by point.
You asked about units in mid transfer to karachi? I am not 100% sure BUT i think they will be in limbo untill Karachi gets liberated. BUT new Australian or NZ units will come into sydney and wellington . however ALL british units inc AC will remain in-limbo forever. He may as well be transferring american ground forces from Cont USA .. thsy will i think remain in limbo too.

Ok, well they'll probably end up in Australia 60 days after Karachi falls then. That's fine by me. If Trey wants to do that then I'll be happy to appear to meet him there. Once Karachi and China have fallen I'll unveil the plan for Australia. It is probably a little different than has been imagined herein but I think that it will be seen to be quite "sneaky" [:D] and ueber-manipulative.

Karachi
Looks like you finally hit his AF with with enough strength to badly hurt the RAF and allies . the hurricane losses are horrific ! and lysnaders cant upgrade unless he has more Huriicanes in his pool wgich i suspect is completely empty. RE Oscar losses .. good idea with them as bomber deterrant , maybe send some on Sweeps too at high altitude over karachi .. they will perform better unattached to bomber groups and you 'might' well bounce some CAP into going home before the bomber stream arrives.

Aye, a good point. On the other hand they tend to just get absolutely slaughtered even though it looks like a very reasonable solution. I've tested this in fighting in previous areas. No, since bomber morale is in their boots my Oscars will defend ( with low morale a damaging hit on one bomber with 7.7mm machineguns is often enough to send an entire V of four-engined bombers home). Since my whole concept is to destroy them on the ground whenever possible grounding these planes with damage or low morale is entirely acceptable to me.

No, my Zeroes will cover the bomber attacks. They will suffer little loss ( although, in the greater scheme of things far more important losses than 10 times their number of Oscar losses) and allow the bombers to get through. These bombers will then deliver the decisive blow. I could be wrong, it might not work and, perhaps, your plan would have been superior but my in-game "test-runs" during the first few months of the game have led me to conclude that this is the way to go.

Colombo
Has recieved a large number of supply hits from the battleline and as such his supply must be dwindling. However early game its easy for the UK to send in 1 million supply to colombo if started in Dec .. he also seems to have stopped shelling you .. might be a sign .maybe start an artillery duel with him and keep an eye on the AV of his inf divs in the combat screen.

Good idea! It certainly looks to me as though Colombo has enough supplies to last for years. I'm going to rest up and then go again. My supply levels are currently insufficient to allow for the basing of 500 bombers and two divisions.

Lilys ! .. well .. they do have a habit of dropping like flies . but you are hurting chungking AF badly now and with him cut off supply may be dwindling .. BUT i think that chungking recives a set amount every day(300??) ( even though this should stop when the hex is opposed) .. maybe someone else can answer this with confidence.

Unfortunately the 300 tons of supply Chungking receives every day appears even if Chungking is cut off and contested ( as it is in this game). It is a highly questionable game dynamic but so long as there are more than 150 engineers in Chungking the bombing of airfields will burn this 300 tons of supply ( each engineer unit burns 1 ton of supply per 12 hours that it is working on repair or fortifications/ports/airfields) per day. I feel confident that there are more than 150 engineers in the 40+ Chinese units trapped in Chungking and so this "free supply" is being burnt by the bomber offensive. It isn't a perfect outcome but it will do for now.

Allied bomber morale with 4E is very very dodgy and plummets even in good conditions. 2E do seem to fare much better , even though they are less of a threat. I'm thinking Trey might have done better by 'upgrading' the LB30's to B26B's earlier on as these planes have great guns and can fight japanese a/c well . LB30's are the weakest 4E allied bomber by quite a bit iirc. easier to maintain and a nice big pool to draw on too ..

Hmm, I am finding the LB-30s to be significantly more difficult to stop than the B-26Bs. It is interesting that you should feel the B-26s are more troublesome. I'll keep on eye on these two types when they are committed to action again over Australia/Hawaii and will try to form an assessment of the impact of their technical/tactical characteristics on in-game performance.

Koepang ..
Yikes .. nates and claudes ! .. hope you didnt lose too many claude pilots .. i assume you dont have any zeros to upgrade them right now .. IF you can keep timor .. it will help a LOT in the long run. I suspect he's very tempted to attack here soon . i wonder if he's prepped properly though. or if he has a good SC TF for bombardment duty. have you got nell/betty in kendari ? .. Lautern is worth building imo too . Dili .. however is on the 'wrong' side of the island for him and is a malarial pit .. i'd leave it alone with a garisson strong enough to resist para attack but thats it. re-inforce Koepang ASSP with ground troops if your able to.

Ah Koepang... I have Nells and Bettys in the area. I also have a half-dozen CLs and over 50 DDs within 36 hours steam ;). I was using Claudes and Nates since:
a) I wanted to concentrate everything at Karachi since that was the decisive point and
b) I didn't want to defend Koepang properly at this stage. The appearance of weakness is important in enticing an invasion. Strength would act as a disincentive to making this serious error.

I estimate that Trey can commit 4 division-equivalents to offensive action. Two of them are committed to Karachi. This leaves two for Koepang. If he commits these forces here I can assure you he will not be pulling them out again, except for tiny cadres. The destruction of these four divisions will make any invasion of Australia significantly more likely to succeed ( so long as it occurs before strong British reinforcements arrive on-scene).


Central Pacific
Johnson seems to be a graveyard for allied 4E bombers even with 'weak' stock AA guns .. i am suprised but nevertheless pleased with the results.. as you suggested .. might as well hang onto palmyra and the others as long as you can with him losing 2 CV's . a few nells might really hurt his transports especially from christmas ( max level 5 AF). with stock map they might even reach the map edge but im not sure TBH..

Yes, it has always been my opinion that many of the complaints we saw probably derived from less than optimal dispositions. 3 to 5 AAA Bns with Level 3+ fortifications seems quite effective in the medium term. I am willing to bet that 9 to 12 AAA Bns behind Level 9 forts is a winning combination against almost any Allied strike even in the short-term. This is important since the doctrine of intermittent quasi-decisive battle ( as opposed to continuous non-decisive ( aka attritional) fronts ( several battles stretched across 1 or more fronts) ) requires the ability to maintain function in the face of point committment ( both temporally and geographically) of the enemy's maximal surge. If the defence cannot withstand, almost unsupported, a maximal point surge then it is doomed to failure within the parameters of this doctrine.

I haven't seen any other AAR approach 1943 and 44 from this doctrinal viewpoint and so its implementation should provide quite a different flavour.

North Pac ..
If he invades here he realy is desperate ! .. maybe trey feels the need to do something agressive, with your main force obviously engaged in an indian compaign.

Why do you think this? I know that if I was the Allied player I would choose this route as it offers the possibility of maximising on Allied strengths, minimising Japanese strengths ( KB, Bettys etc) and drawing off significant surface forces which would be required to allow expansion in the Central and Southern Pacific. I have looked into this a little and would have to say that I feel it is eminently possible to defeat Japan by mid-43 with this routing so long as the operations and tactics in all areas are rendered compatible with this strategy. The initial stages of the fight-back would be slow but later on an island could be invaded every month to six weeks. This rate leads directly to my estimate above.

I've seen this comment made about the "Northern Route" several times before and it always struck me as being based on game/AAR experience but not so much on an analysis of what is possible with the proper subordination of operations and tactics to strategy.

If i was him .. i'd posture toward the north and central pac .. while havign a whopping invasion fleet heading or waiting near the S PAC area .. when KB is confirmed miles away from this theatre .. time to beef up canton and re-take any lost islands that inhibit the USA -AUSTRALIA route. I seriously doubt he's even contemplating you invading NZ or australia right now.

Oh he knows. I have been very open to him regarding my intentions. I believe in telling someone you are going to knock them down, telling them why and how and then doing it irrespective of what they do to stop you. I've told Trey I will be taking India and China ( in that order) followed by the Soviet Union and Australia... I haven't specifically given an order in which I'll go after Australia or the Soviet Union as I do have an operational and strategic variant in which I merely isolate Australia and go after the Soviet Union first before coming back to Australia later. Since I amn't sure if this is the variant I'll implement I don't want to mislead Trey by committing to another variant which proves impossible due to circumstances.

I've also told him, honestly, that I intend to invade the American continent in 1943 and that is still definitely my intention.


If you bog down 102 divs in Timor .. invasion australia becomes a LOT easier .. ( although i really cant see the point of it )( other than kudos ! ) .. NZ yes .. starve australia .. hit the resources with air .. maybe land at perth/darwin for the resources .. they will be 1/4'd when re-taken. NE australia also has resources iirc in cooktown and cairns .. also probably lightly defended .. townsville will be a lot tougher though.. Rockhampton would be a good invasion point though if you intend to sever the country . its on rail .. will be almost empty .. ( i assume ) .. and is v close to brisbane .

Well, it hasn't been done before and I'm not going to win the game so playing well up until I lose is my goal. Taking the map except for San Francisco and other similar cities on CONUSA would represent good play in my mind since the fact it hasn't been done before shows it to be a difficult undertaking. Doubt it'll be possible at acceptable cost but I will certainly try.


Redd,
Thanks for the comments. I'm sure Trey wouldn't mind you commenting here further so long as you don't give his future plans away ( which I'm certain wouldn't happen) so feel free to weigh in with questions or comments or whatever. Same applies in his thread.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
ADavidB
Posts: 2464
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by ADavidB »

Ok, well they'll probably end up in Australia 60 days after Karachi falls then. That's fine by me. If Trey wants to do that then I'll be happy to appear to meet him there. Once Karachi and China have fallen I'll unveil the plan for Australia. It is probably a little different than has been imagined herein but I think that it will be seen to be quite "sneaky" and ueber-manipulative.


No, any and all Allied forces destined for Karachi go into "limbo" and do not come out anywhere until Karachi is reconquered by the Allies.

You have effectively put around a third of the Allied reinforcements out of the Game.

Dave Baranyi
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/13/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 49 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36


Japanese ground losses:
40 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Allied Ships
DD Norman
DD Hotspur
DD Griffin
DD Express
CLAA Caledon
CL Newcastle
CL Birmingham
CL Tromp
CA Devonshire
BB Resolution
BB Warspite

Japanese ground losses:
161 casualties reported
Guns lost 9
Vehicles lost 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Allied Ships
DD Electra
DD Arrow
DD Tjerk Hiddes
DD Isaac Sweers

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Interesting, two more BBs for me to sink... I have sufficient surface combat power in the region ( 4 BBs and 8 CAs) to destroy this force but the damage suffered should I attack it at Karachi would be excessive. I will let the Nells and Bettys do the work and then face the BBs etc at Bombay when Trey realises he will lose them regardless and commits them to a deathride against the surface strike group at Bombay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 49 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36


Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ahmadabad , at 24,8

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 1
A6M2 Zero x 116
A6M3 Zero x 6
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 40

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 12
Wellington III x 10
B-26B Marauder x 23
B-17E Fortress x 16
LB-30 Liberator x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 10 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
Wellington III: 3 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 5 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 1 damaged

And for the first time the enemy bombers are turned back in their entirety. Airfield damage will be below 40 tomorrow and so I am staging my own twin-engined bombers in overnight. Tomorrow they will fly against the Allies at Karachi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 73
Ki-15 Babs x 5

Allied aircraft
I-153c x 1

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 10 damaged


Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 25

Results when attacking at 16,000 are better but still insufficient. 6,000 it has to be. I don't like that since I can pretty much guarantee the loss of 2 or 3 bombers per day but with my Sally production still being expanded to the target of 120 per month I don't have sufficient armoured bombers to make up the shortfall. So, my virtual men pay for my mistake with their lives. Whoever said the game doesn't mirror history missed out this aspect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24

Japanese aircraft
H8K Emily x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 101
Ki-49 Helen x 56

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K Emily: 1 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed


Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 123


I'll leave 2 or 3 groups behind just to trouble Colombo a little but the majority of the bombers will displace to Ahmadabad and, later, Bombay and Samir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 20
Hudson I x 41
B-17E Fortress x 60


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
52 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 59
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 5
Hudson I x 20


No Allied losses

Port supply hits 1

It is amusing to see all of these strikes going in without any resistance. Trey must be wondering just what the hell's happening at Koepang ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st New Chinese Corps, at 45,35

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 32

No Japanese losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 32
D3A Val x 29
B5N Kate x 52
Ki-27 Nate x 73
Ki-51 Sonia x 16
Ki-15 Babs x 1

No Japanese losses


Allied ground losses:
77 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Adak Island at 98,36


Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 6


No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AP Tatuho Maru

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 47,48

Japanese Ships
AP Meiten Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
MSW Hinode Maru #17

Allied Ships
SS Growler

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Guns lost 2


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,31

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2329 troops, 5 guns, 149 vehicles, Assault Value = 308

Defending force 16852 troops, 117 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 523

Japanese max assault: 58 - adjusted assault: 7

Allied max defense: 528 - adjusted defense: 411

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
53 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 5

Allied ground losses:
82 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Another Tank Regiment pays the price for crossing over ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Karachi

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 162211 troops, 1490 guns, 20 vehicles, Assault Value = 2971

Defending force 127686 troops, 1051 guns, 239 vehicles, Assault Value = 1822

Japanese max assault: 461 - adjusted assault: 358

Allied max defense: 1903 - adjusted defense: 14401

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)


Japanese ground losses:
3476 casualties reported
Guns lost 125
Vehicles lost 8

Allied ground losses:
135 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

LOL! It would appear that dropping fortification levels can only be done by well-rested troops. I'll add that to the "lessons learned" list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5324 troops, 182 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Defending force 1900 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2



Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Karachi

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2212 troops, 88 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1821

Defending force 180952 troops, 1238 guns, 245 vehicles, Assault Value = 2661



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Adak Island

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 778 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 7

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese max assault: 4 - adjusted assault: 6

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Adak Island base !!!


It really looks like I'm fighting the United Nations doesn't it? [:D]


Image
Attachments
13may42.jpg
13may42.jpg (205.27 KiB) Viewed 270 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

ADavidB,

So if Karachi is taken ALL forces assigned there just disappear until it is retaken?
 
Hmm, I was under the impression that another base or HQ could be re-assigned and then those forces would show up at that base or HQ.... Don't remember where I thought I read that though.
 
That's a pity since that isn't really that realistic. If Karachi had fallen the British wouldn't have been put out of the war, it would just have been possible to close off the Indian theatre of operations but British forces would have been diverted to Australia or the USA.
 
Ah well, 2/3rds of the Allied force is still more than enough to bury me under a tsunami of men and material. It'll just require more careful handling and less profligacy.
 
Thanks for the information.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
ADavidB
Posts: 2464
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by ADavidB »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

ADavidB,

So if Karachi is taken ALL forces assigned there just disappear until it is retaken?

Hmm, I was under the impression that another base or HQ could be re-assigned and then those forces would show up at that base or HQ.... Don't remember where I thought I read that though.

That's a pity since that isn't really that realistic. If Karachi had fallen the British wouldn't have been put out of the war, it would just have been possible to close off the Indian theatre of operations but British forces would have been diverted to Australia or the USA.

Ah well, 2/3rds of the Allied force is still more than enough to bury me under a tsunami of men and material. It'll just require more careful handling and less profligacy.

Thanks for the information.

Yes, that is what happens - all of those reinforcements go into "limbo". Even the US reinforcements that are scheduled to go to SEAC are stuck in limbo, which is even less realistic than the Brit reinforcements.

In Gary Grigsby's "Pacwar", HQs and their reinforcements would show up elsewhere if a reinforcement base was captured. So, for example, the Brits would show up in New Zealand, the Chinese in San Fran and so on. But in WitP the design from the beginnning has been to freeze out the reinforcements. My guess is that they were thinking of Dutch reinforcements, or even Chinese reinforcements, but never imagined that players would be invading eastern India.

I would tend to say that the reinforcements for Karachi ought to show up in North America because the Brits wouldn't risk shipping them south of an occupied India to Oz.

Dave Baranyi

Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Andy Mac »

I think you have missed your chance at Karachi.
 
The free supply does not ever stop so Karachi will always be in plentifull supply and the Urban defence bonus never fades.
 
5th Indian Div cannot be far away and probably 3 Canadian Bdes, and possibly some really nasty 15" forts from the West Coast.
 
You can keep him bottled up but I really question whether taking karachi is possible now
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Andy Mac »

p.s. how many formations did you manage to destroy before they could retreat to karachi ?
 
It looks to me like most of the Armour, 2nd UK, 18th UK at least 2 of the rebuilding Indian Divs and an Australian Div made it back plus several independent bdes
 
In the same hex he will have SEAC and 3 Indian Corps HQ all fully prepping for Karachi as even if you have destroyed them the HQ's respawn.
 
In the allied shoes I would also be transferring in Seabees to keep that AF open the Canadian AA Regt US Base Forces basically anything with a CD Gun or an AA gun should be in that hex before to much longer.
 
Andy
User avatar
Rob Brennan UK
Posts: 3685
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 8:36 pm
Location: London UK

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

ADavidB,

So if Karachi is taken ALL forces assigned there just disappear until it is retaken?

Hmm, I was under the impression that another base or HQ could be re-assigned and then those forces would show up at that base or HQ.... Don't remember where I thought I read that though.

That's a pity since that isn't really that realistic. If Karachi had fallen the British wouldn't have been put out of the war, it would just have been possible to close off the Indian theatre of operations but British forces would have been diverted to Australia or the USA.

Ah well, 2/3rds of the Allied force is still more than enough to bury me under a tsunami of men and material. It'll just require more careful handling and less profligacy.

Thanks for the information.

ADavid is absolutely correct , he has personal experience of it too vs PzB. This 'feature' has been rectified by andrew Browns extended map where karachi bound units arrive in Aden ( an off-map) hex, so the Brits don't get completely neutered by this.

"I haven't seen any other AAR approach 1943 and 44 from this doctrinal viewpoint and so its implementation should provide quite a different flavour."

True, it's just such a narrow approach and the weather is usually awful, making BB raids on forward Af's a real danger for both sides. CV's can regularly be grounded in storms/bad winter weather.Mayeb the closest example is speedy vs Fabertongs AAR, where both sides had built up in the north and ended up in a stalemate.

UM.. i like your agresiveness BUT invading Cont USA would be suicide ( USA gets ALL ground units 9 months earlier if that happens, they just magically appear, not sure about aur units though).

RE Australia. I will be very interested to see what you have planned here, same with the USSR. It's sporting of you to tell Trey your overall goal ! .. [;)]

AA guns .. 12 together .. humm .. I think you will find in stock that when the allies can mount 300 4E LB on raids , no amount of AA will help much in stock, but i'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Your assumption that a lot of 'leared wisdom' is through AAR's and personal games rather than a detailed analysis is completely corrent in my case, i doggedly follow a few game AAR's either bacause the game has a different approach or I have become fond of the writer/poster. I can honestly say I have never sat down and worked out numbers even for my own games, i tend to be 'irrational' in that respect as i'm a 'gut feeling' (mixed with both my own and others experience) type player.

Thanks for replying to my comments and carrying on your AAR .. much appreciated by many i assume given the hit rate here ( usually a better indication for readership than replies).
sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
User avatar
VSWG
Posts: 3217
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by VSWG »

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

Thanks for replying to my comments and carrying on your AAR .. much appreciated by many i assume given the hit rate here ( usually a better indication for readership than replies).

What he said. I follow this AAR religiously, but I'm new to this game, so I cannot really contribute. Keep it up, Nemo121, this thread is highly entertaining and educating. [:)]
Image
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

ADavidB,

Definitely a flawed game mechanic. I also agree with you that the British reinforcements should go to CONUSA rather than Australia but I don't want to hamstring Trey too much and since we're playing a fairly "free for all" game with just a few minor rules to cover special cases it would be internally inconsistent to try to put rigid limits on Trey's options.

As to missing my chance at Karachi... Possibly but I think not. At the beginning of June I will have 8 BBs (including Yamato... I accelerated it and got it a little while ago) and 14 or so CAs operating a rotating bombardment out of Bombay. Since I have air supremacy I have the ability to get the DLs up to 10 and cause massive support losses with each bombardment.

Without their support troops and engineers the Allied ability to resist will be decreased by 75% ( irrespective of supply) to an adjusted AV of 5,000 to 6,000 and that sort of force is the sort of force my ground troops can attack with a good chance of bringing down fortification levels. Add in the inability to repair disabled squads ( due to the lack of support troops) and very quickly I will bring the AV down. Remember that every AV point disabled will yield a loss of at least THREE AV from the adjusted defence plus whatever reduction occurs secondary to disruption.

Not easy by any means but definitely possible.

This Allied defence was only possible because of the "turtling" defence in India. If these units had come out and fought then Karachi would have fallen in the initial assault. Still, Trey's choice of strategy was the correct choice for the situation.


2 UK Divisions, 1 Australian Division and 1 Australian Brigade never left Karachi. Of the rest, small cadres of a couple of Indian Brigades and small cadres from the tank brigades were air or sea-transported in after I cut them off from Karachi. Trey is manipulating the game mechanics to his advantage with these allocations but that's entirely within the spirit of our game so more power to him.

UM.. i like your agresiveness BUT invading Cont USA would be suicide ( USA gets ALL ground units 9 months earlier if that happens, they just magically appear, not sure about aur units though).

Only if I advance past Line 132 East.... I would intend to stop prior to that line ( if I get the opportunity to invade at all).

RE Australia. I will be very interested to see what you have planned here, same with the USSR. It's sporting of you to tell Trey your overall goal ! ..

The Australian plan is still at Uebersneaky levels of secrecy ;). USSR.... I sent you that plan a while back. Did you not get the map and word document explaining the force taskings and rationale?

As to telling Trey my overall goal... Ah well, if you're going to knock a man down he, at least, deserves to know why and to what extent.



VSWG,
Thanks and don't worry about being new. This is only my 2nd game of WiTP. I only had the game for 3 weeks before starting it so inexperience is no bar to waxing lyrical ;).
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by Nemo121 »

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/15/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Allied Ships
DD Norman
DD Hotspur
DD Griffin
DD Express
CLAA Caledon
CL Newcastle
CL Birmingham
CL Tromp
CA Devonshire
BB Resolution
BB Warspite

Japanese ground losses:
314 casualties reported
Guns lost 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Allied Ships
DD Electra
DD Arrow
DD Tjerk Hiddes
DD Isaac Sweers

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

These surface units seem to be supported by 1 to 2 British CVs and what looks like it might be up to a dozen submarines set along the bombardment route from Bombay to Karachi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 61 troops unloading over beach at Zamboanga, 39,59


Japanese ground losses:
52 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 61 troops unloading over beach at Zamboanga, 39,59


Japanese ground losses:
79 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)

Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Ahmadabad , at 24,8

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 76
A6M3 Zero x 3
Ki-27 Nate x 9

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IF x 3
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 23
Wellington III x 20
Beaufort V-IX x 14
B-26B Marauder x 31
B-17E Fortress x 35
LB-30 Liberator x 20
IL-4c x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 2 damaged
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IF: 1 damaged
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed, 1 damaged
Wellington III: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 10 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged
LB-30 Liberator: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
IL-4c: 1 damaged

Turned back with no losses. Only the Beauforts pressed the attack to destruction on this occasion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 27
Ki-48 Lily x 120
Ki-46-II Dinah x 5
Ki-15 Babs x 10

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 4 destroyed, 12 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 1 destroyed


Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported

Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 115

Very heavy losses but I've simply got to keep the pressure on Chungking. I'll be launching another attack there within the next week. Once my AV exceeds 9,000 I'm going to risk a shock attack. The Chinese AV last time was about 18,000 and therefore I think that the loss of supplies in combination with other attrition should give me a possibility of getting a 1:1 and dropping the fort levels. I don't expect this to succeed but if I can speed this attack it would be quite helpful to my forces in India and elsewhere as I could begin transferring forces to other theatres. I have terrible trouble figuring out ground combat. It is very basically modelled but with such rigid rules that the outcome can often differ greatly from what common sense would suggest.

In the meantime I'm going to mount an extempore drive on Chengtu with a Provisional Tank Division and an Infantry Division. With a little luck it might prove possible to discomfit Chengtu significantly.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 210
A6M3 Zero x 2
Ki-21 Sally x 235
Ki-49 Helen x 68
Ki-46-II Dinah x 16

Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 5
Mohawk IV x 19
Buffalo I x 6
Hurricane II x 11
Kittyhawk I x 10
Blenheim IF x 5
P-40B Tomahawk x 8
P-40E Warhawk x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 34 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 2 destroyed, 36 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 3 destroyed, 13 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 5 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 22 destroyed
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed
Hurricane II: 12 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 26 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 8 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 14 destroyed
LB-30 Liberator: 9 destroyed
B-17E Fortress: 16 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 4 destroyed
Blenheim I: 6 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 9 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 6 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 2 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 4 destroyed
Wellington III: 3 destroyed
Swordfish: 4 destroyed
Catalina I: 3 destroyed


Allied ground losses:
406 casualties reported
Guns lost 6
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 38
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 318

Allied losses are, once again, extreme. Over 250 Allied planes are destroyed today. Many of their pilots accompany them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77


Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 24


Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Genkai Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Port supply hits 2

Genkai Maru is entirely expendable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25


Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 6


No Allied losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st New Chinese Corps, at 45,35

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 32

No Japanese losses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 23,47

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 5352 troops, 183 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Defending force 1850 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2



Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported



Image
Attachments
15may42.jpg
15may42.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 270 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
User avatar
ADavidB
Posts: 2464
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by ADavidB »

Deleted by poster - sorry
veji1
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

RE: Success at Karachi

Post by veji1 »

And your point is ?


Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”