Lunacy or Shrewdness?
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Monter_Trismegistos
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:58 pm
- Location: Gdansk
RE: Success at Karachi
About PP's: I've heard about very gamey trick to save PPs and still transfer troops via Africa to Karachi. Maybe I am wrong but I think it was changing NorthPac command to SEAsia. Then all reinforcements arrive in Karachi. If he used this method, then he might be not out of PPs, and still his reinforcements would arrive in Karachi.
About air groups interned in SU: I don't think that something like that exists in game. As I remember someone easily transferred groups between China and Alaska (of course only these which had range to fly from Aleutians to Soviet Union) via SU.
About air groups interned in SU: I don't think that something like that exists in game. As I remember someone easily transferred groups between China and Alaska (of course only these which had range to fly from Aleutians to Soviet Union) via SU.
Nec Temere Nec Timide
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
Bez strachu ale z rozwagą
-
anarchyintheuk
- Posts: 3958
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: Dallas
RE: Success at Karachi
Well there's a monsoon season in the sense that India/Burma are usually covered by t-storms. The season lasts from 1941-1946.
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16734
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Success at Karachi
Ok, going to try to upload a few turns tonight. Quick question first though... I have been looking to try to find out the stats for mines in-game ( particularly Type 4 and Type 93) but can't seem to find any info about them at all. I'm asking because last turn a few Allied ships ( including CA and BB) hit mines while launching a bombardment attack yet in the bombardment attack screen none of the ships hit are listed as even being on fire...
I've seen torpedoes do very little damage but even then they'd cause enough to start some small fires etc and with 3 ships hitting mines I was expecting at least one to suffer some moderate damage and fires. Does anyone have any guidance?
P.s. As a hint for others. 1 x CD unit, another 500 guns of other sorts and 15,000 mines means that any bombardment TF heading for it gets REALLY chewed up
I've seen torpedoes do very little damage but even then they'd cause enough to start some small fires etc and with 3 ships hitting mines I was expecting at least one to suffer some moderate damage and fires. Does anyone have any guidance?
P.s. As a hint for others. 1 x CD unit, another 500 guns of other sorts and 15,000 mines means that any bombardment TF heading for it gets REALLY chewed up
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Success at Karachi
mines stats are available when you see ML stats in ships stats section
RE: Success at Karachi
Code: Select all
Name Range Effect Penet Accur Dud Ceiling
Mk 18 Mine 0 1350 0 12 0 0
Mk 16 Mine 0 600 0 8 0 0
Mk 13 Mine 0 710 2 9 0 0
Mk 12 Mine 0 1100 1 9 0 0
Mk 10 Mine 0 420 1 6 0 0
Mk 6 Mine 0 300 0 5 0 0
Mk XVII Mine 0 320 1 6 0 0
Type 93 Mine 0 220 0 5 0 0
Type 88 Mine 0 397 1 4 0 0
Type 4 Mine 0 88 0 5 0 0
Type 3 Mine 0 176 2 5 0 0
VH2 Mine 0 320 1 6 0 0
I -think- Penetration :
0 = Harbor mines, static at game start, not placed by players.
1 = Sub/Ship dropped
2 = Air dropped
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16734
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Success at Karachi
LOL!! Accuracy for mines
. LOL!!!!
Well that explains why I saw no damage. My mine hits were all Type 4s. *sigh*
Well that explains why I saw no damage. My mine hits were all Type 4s. *sigh*
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Success at Karachi
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/22/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 19,10
Japanese Ships
APD APD-46
APD APD-39
APD APD-38
APD APD-37
APD APD-36
APD APD-35
APD APD-33
APD APD-31
APD APD-2
APD APD-1
Allied Ships
SS Gato, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
I think Gato is sunk. The key point to bear in mind here is that in terms of actual effect a damage is as good as a sinking for me since any submarine which is damaged will have a choice to make between heading for Colombo or heading for Karachi. If it heads for Colombo its chances of sinking are fairly high AND its transit time, even if only slightly damaged, will be sufficient to take it out of the battle for a significant period of time. If the submarine makes for Karachi then my naval bombardments and port attacks should take care of it. I expect to sink far more submarines in port than at sea during the Karachi confrontation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 101,66
Japanese Ships
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Hirashima
Allied Ships
SS Flying Fish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 63
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 68
Ki-46-II Dinah x 4
Ki-15 Babs x 8
Allied aircraft
I-153c x 1
I-16c x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 19 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 2 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged
Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 14
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 4
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 25
Ki-49 Helen x 24
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged
Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 43
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
73 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 20
Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 15
No Allied losses
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 35
D3A Val x 152
B5N Kate x 209
Ki-27 Nate x 95
Ki-51 Sonia x 23
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 2
Ki-21 Sally x 3
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
AK Empire Lightning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 3
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
AK Empire Pennant, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 36
Ki-21 Sally x 3
Ki-49 Helen x 6
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 damaged
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
PG Genista
PG Thyme, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
A few more of the fleeing/distraction? Allied TFs are reduced in size. Soon the rest of the battleline will show up ( via Colombo) and then I will move on Karachi in full force. Until then I will attrit these minor surface units ( and Warspite) with replaceable assets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 102,66
Japanese Ships
ML Hirashima
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Nasami
Allied Ships
SS Tautog, hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,30
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8689 troops, 9 guns, 553 vehicles, Assault Value = 293
Defending force 11907 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 354
Japanese max assault: 468 - adjusted assault: 432
Allied max defense: 326 - adjusted defense: 5
Japanese assault odds: 86 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
48 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 4
Allied ground losses:
609 casualties reported
Guns lost 30
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 19,10
Japanese Ships
APD APD-46
APD APD-39
APD APD-38
APD APD-37
APD APD-36
APD APD-35
APD APD-33
APD APD-31
APD APD-2
APD APD-1
Allied Ships
SS Gato, hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
I think Gato is sunk. The key point to bear in mind here is that in terms of actual effect a damage is as good as a sinking for me since any submarine which is damaged will have a choice to make between heading for Colombo or heading for Karachi. If it heads for Colombo its chances of sinking are fairly high AND its transit time, even if only slightly damaged, will be sufficient to take it out of the battle for a significant period of time. If the submarine makes for Karachi then my naval bombardments and port attacks should take care of it. I expect to sink far more submarines in port than at sea during the Karachi confrontation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 101,66
Japanese Ships
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Hirashima
Allied Ships
SS Flying Fish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 63
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 68
Ki-46-II Dinah x 4
Ki-15 Babs x 8
Allied aircraft
I-153c x 1
I-16c x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 19 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 2 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged
Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 14
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 4
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 25
Ki-49 Helen x 24
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged
Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 43
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
73 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 20
Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 15
No Allied losses
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 35
D3A Val x 152
B5N Kate x 209
Ki-27 Nate x 95
Ki-51 Sonia x 23
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
20 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 2
Ki-21 Sally x 3
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
AK Empire Lightning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-49 Helen x 3
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
Allied Ships
AK Empire Pennant, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 36
Ki-21 Sally x 3
Ki-49 Helen x 6
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 1
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 damaged
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
PG Genista
PG Thyme, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
A few more of the fleeing/distraction? Allied TFs are reduced in size. Soon the rest of the battleline will show up ( via Colombo) and then I will move on Karachi in full force. Until then I will attrit these minor surface units ( and Warspite) with replaceable assets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 102,66
Japanese Ships
ML Hirashima
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Nasami
Allied Ships
SS Tautog, hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 41,30
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8689 troops, 9 guns, 553 vehicles, Assault Value = 293
Defending force 11907 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 354
Japanese max assault: 468 - adjusted assault: 432
Allied max defense: 326 - adjusted defense: 5
Japanese assault odds: 86 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
48 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 4
Allied ground losses:
609 casualties reported
Guns lost 30
Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Success at Karachi
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/23/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 33,64
Japanese Ships
PC Ch 32
PC Ch 18
PC Ch 17
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13
PC Ch 3
PC Ch 2
PC Ch 1
PC Kyo Maru #13
PC Kyo Maru #12
PC Kyo Maru #11
Allied Ships
SS Grayling, hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 17
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 1
Buffalo I x 3
Hurricane II x 5
Kittyhawk I x 8
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 4 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Hurricane II: 3 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 damaged
11 Allied aircraft destroyed for only 4 Zeroes. A good exchange rate but I must admit I'm surprised that Trey is letting his fighter forces in Karachi rebuild on a daily basis. They are just targets for my forces until they are present in much greater numbers. Still it makes it ever clearer to me that he is planning a fight-back at Karachi if at all possible. I am seeing the air balance in Manchuria change and I think that he is basing bombers at Irkutsk and the base to the south-east... I'm going to leave it a few days ( until my naval bombers launch a major port attack on Karachi) and then I'm going to ratchet up the pressure by hinting that I may launch bombing raids against these bases ( whilst at the same time withdrawing Bettys and Nells to lend the lie to the statement). Since Trey will respond that this will free the Soviet Union I'll respond that under those circumstances the 1 month delay following initial attacks would not apply.
I would not, of course, do the above but if he is being sneaky with his bomber basings and rebuilding their numbers and morale in the Soviet Union then I don't see that I'm bound to give him an easy night's sleep over it
. Eliminating the threat of him flying those bombers into Karachi and smiting one of my airfields is simply not worth the cost of giving him bases within easy range of the Home Islands from which to unleash his hordes of B25s etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 3
Hudson I x 22
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port fuel hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 12
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 60th Chinese Corps, at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 24
Ki-48 Lily x 31
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-153c x 1
I-16c x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 35
D3A Val x 153
B5N Kate x 214
Ki-27 Nate x 96
Ki-51 Sonia x 24
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 2
Blenheim IV x 3
Wellington III x 5
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Wellington III: 1 destroyed
Japanese Ships
APD APD-33
APD APD-46
APD APD-36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 5
Wellington III x 3
Martin 139 x 3
B-26B Marauder x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Japanese Ships
APD APD-31, Bomb hits 1, on fire
APD APD-2
APD APD-33
APD APD-37
APD APD-46
Bugger! An APD gets hurt! I'm going to boost LRCAP a bit more in order to protect them more. It is risky but essential as my APDs are far and away my premier ASW TF.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 12
Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
Allied Ships
AK Empire Lightning, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30
G3M Nell x 6
G4M1 Betty x 20
Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane II: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
PG Thyme, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PG Genista, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
G4M1 Betty x 22
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 2
Blenheim IF x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
TK Empire Lytton, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Pennant, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
More succesful mopping up of enemy minor combatants and merchant ships around Karachi. The British carriers look to have gotten away though. These will complicate matters significantly as I move away from Karachi and towards Australia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 523123 troops, 5364 guns, 160 vehicles, Assault Value = 10460
Defending force 174708 troops, 1225 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3850
Japanese max assault: 20588 - adjusted assault: 8396
Allied max defense: 4164 - adjusted defense: 26373
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)
Japanese ground losses:
23014 casualties reported
Guns lost 636
Vehicles lost 12
Allied ground losses:
2373 casualties reported
Guns lost 51
Hmm, a bloody failure. I've been doing some reading on ground combat and it strikes me that I'm only generating about 80% of my basic combat power and only about 40% of my adjusted maximal potential. I could generate the same adjusted AV if I had only 4,200 AV on-line but had double the supply available. So with that in mind I'm beginning to pull most of my combat troops into Yunan and the other nearest base in order to draw supply, rest and rebuild. My plan will be to attack when my troops at Chunking have double the required supply. If this works out as planned I should be able to generate the same AV with just half the committed troops, thus allowing me to mount twice as many assaults in a given time period at an overall saving in supplies consumed. With Chungking sown up tightly and no great requirement for these troops elsewhere I have the time to experiment and learn. Hopefully I will be able to put these lessons into use at Karachi and Vladivostok.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17486 troops, 184 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 252
Defending force 8724 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55
Japanese max assault: 245 - adjusted assault: 210
Allied max defense: 54 - adjusted defense: 45
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
47 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chengtu
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8664 troops, 10 guns, 551 vehicles, Assault Value = 292
Defending force 17276 troops, 68 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 302
Japanese max assault: 496 - adjusted assault: 166
Allied max defense: 250 - adjusted defense: 66
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 5)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3
Japanese ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 11
Allied ground losses:
501 casualties reported
Guns lost 19
Hmm, Chengtu looks doable... My provisional tank division has no supply lines though so I'm going to move a lot of Topsy IIs in in order to fly supply in. With an luck this will work a treat. If I can supply the tank units well then Chengtu should fall, freeing up a base right beside Chungking from which I can much more easily supply Chungking than is presently the case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10178 troops, 158 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 195
Defending force 3321 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 92
Japanese max assault: 191 - adjusted assault: 172
Allied max defense: 88 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 24 to 1
Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 33,64
Japanese Ships
PC Ch 32
PC Ch 18
PC Ch 17
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13
PC Ch 3
PC Ch 2
PC Ch 1
PC Kyo Maru #13
PC Kyo Maru #12
PC Kyo Maru #11
Allied Ships
SS Grayling, hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 17
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 1
Buffalo I x 3
Hurricane II x 5
Kittyhawk I x 8
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 4 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Hurricane II: 3 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 damaged
11 Allied aircraft destroyed for only 4 Zeroes. A good exchange rate but I must admit I'm surprised that Trey is letting his fighter forces in Karachi rebuild on a daily basis. They are just targets for my forces until they are present in much greater numbers. Still it makes it ever clearer to me that he is planning a fight-back at Karachi if at all possible. I am seeing the air balance in Manchuria change and I think that he is basing bombers at Irkutsk and the base to the south-east... I'm going to leave it a few days ( until my naval bombers launch a major port attack on Karachi) and then I'm going to ratchet up the pressure by hinting that I may launch bombing raids against these bases ( whilst at the same time withdrawing Bettys and Nells to lend the lie to the statement). Since Trey will respond that this will free the Soviet Union I'll respond that under those circumstances the 1 month delay following initial attacks would not apply.
I would not, of course, do the above but if he is being sneaky with his bomber basings and rebuilding their numbers and morale in the Soviet Union then I don't see that I'm bound to give him an easy night's sleep over it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 3
Hudson I x 22
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port fuel hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 12
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 60th Chinese Corps, at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 24
Ki-48 Lily x 31
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-153c x 1
I-16c x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
Ki-15 Babs: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
I-153c: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 81st PA Division, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 35
D3A Val x 153
B5N Kate x 214
Ki-27 Nate x 96
Ki-51 Sonia x 24
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 2
Blenheim IV x 3
Wellington III x 5
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Wellington III: 1 destroyed
Japanese Ships
APD APD-33
APD APD-46
APD APD-36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 6
Blenheim IV x 5
Wellington III x 3
Martin 139 x 3
B-26B Marauder x 3
No Japanese losses
Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Japanese Ships
APD APD-31, Bomb hits 1, on fire
APD APD-2
APD APD-33
APD APD-37
APD APD-46
Bugger! An APD gets hurt! I'm going to boost LRCAP a bit more in order to protect them more. It is risky but essential as my APDs are far and away my premier ASW TF.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 12
Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
Allied Ships
AK Empire Lightning, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30
G3M Nell x 6
G4M1 Betty x 20
Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane II: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
PG Thyme, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PG Genista, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
G4M1 Betty x 22
Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1
Kittyhawk I x 2
Blenheim IF x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
Allied Ships
TK Empire Lytton, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Pennant, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
More succesful mopping up of enemy minor combatants and merchant ships around Karachi. The British carriers look to have gotten away though. These will complicate matters significantly as I move away from Karachi and towards Australia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 523123 troops, 5364 guns, 160 vehicles, Assault Value = 10460
Defending force 174708 troops, 1225 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3850
Japanese max assault: 20588 - adjusted assault: 8396
Allied max defense: 4164 - adjusted defense: 26373
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)
Japanese ground losses:
23014 casualties reported
Guns lost 636
Vehicles lost 12
Allied ground losses:
2373 casualties reported
Guns lost 51
Hmm, a bloody failure. I've been doing some reading on ground combat and it strikes me that I'm only generating about 80% of my basic combat power and only about 40% of my adjusted maximal potential. I could generate the same adjusted AV if I had only 4,200 AV on-line but had double the supply available. So with that in mind I'm beginning to pull most of my combat troops into Yunan and the other nearest base in order to draw supply, rest and rebuild. My plan will be to attack when my troops at Chunking have double the required supply. If this works out as planned I should be able to generate the same AV with just half the committed troops, thus allowing me to mount twice as many assaults in a given time period at an overall saving in supplies consumed. With Chungking sown up tightly and no great requirement for these troops elsewhere I have the time to experiment and learn. Hopefully I will be able to put these lessons into use at Karachi and Vladivostok.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17486 troops, 184 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 252
Defending force 8724 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55
Japanese max assault: 245 - adjusted assault: 210
Allied max defense: 54 - adjusted defense: 45
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
47 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chengtu
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8664 troops, 10 guns, 551 vehicles, Assault Value = 292
Defending force 17276 troops, 68 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 302
Japanese max assault: 496 - adjusted assault: 166
Allied max defense: 250 - adjusted defense: 66
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 5)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3
Japanese ground losses:
142 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 11
Allied ground losses:
501 casualties reported
Guns lost 19
Hmm, Chengtu looks doable... My provisional tank division has no supply lines though so I'm going to move a lot of Topsy IIs in in order to fly supply in. With an luck this will work a treat. If I can supply the tank units well then Chengtu should fall, freeing up a base right beside Chungking from which I can much more easily supply Chungking than is presently the case.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10178 troops, 158 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 195
Defending force 3321 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 92
Japanese max assault: 191 - adjusted assault: 172
Allied max defense: 88 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 24 to 1
Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Success at Karachi
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/24/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1027 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Guysborough
MSW Caraquet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 101,65
Japanese Ships
ML Hirashima
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Shirakami
Allied Ships
SS S-44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Dutch Harbor at 103,36
Japanese Ships
SS I-124
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1027 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna, and is sunk
MSW Guysborough
MSW Caraquet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
AK Kenryu Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 25
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-16c x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 40
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 8
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11
No Allied losses
Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 9
No Allied losses
Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 120th USN Base Force, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 34
D3A Val x 147
B5N Kate x 224
Ki-27 Nate x 101
Ki-51 Sonia x 23
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
414 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 30,25
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 104
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Allied ground losses:
34 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 14
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 1
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 5 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8224
Defending force 171843 troops, 1184 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3804
Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17451 troops, 183 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 250
Defending force 8738 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55
Japanese max assault: 246 - adjusted assault: 106
Allied max defense: 54 - adjusted defense: 55
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
112 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chengtu
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8363 troops, 7 guns, 529 vehicles, Assault Value = 274
Defending force 16675 troops, 52 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 270
Japanese max assault: 442 - adjusted assault: 62
Allied max defense: 224 - adjusted defense: 92
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese ground losses:
234 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 16
Allied ground losses:
264 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Hmm, my supplies are dropping too quickly and I make no further headway. I think that over the next few days I'll rest up and then continue these attacks. They are only achieving 0 to 1 ratios but the fact that tank units are involved should keep Chinese casualties very high
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10209 troops, 160 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 197
Defending force 3266 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 87
Japanese max assault: 193 - adjusted assault: 382
Allied max defense: 82 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 54 to 1
Allied ground losses:
114 casualties reported
The battleline left port yesterday and is now 7 hexes from Karachi and ready to turn east for a sprint inward. I sent it on a very avoidant routing to avoid most of the submarines. On the way back it will default to a direct line path to Bombay and be at great risk but it should be fairly safe on the way in. If I have it planned right the battleline will end the day 60 miles from Karachi. It will have to survive some bomber raids but I think its odds of doing this are pretty good given that the British pilot pools must be almost empty and so most of those bomber pilots are probably low experience draftees.
Ah well, life is risk. I am risking, lets see if it is rewarded or punished...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1027 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Guysborough
MSW Caraquet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 101,65
Japanese Ships
ML Hirashima
ML Saishu
ML Takashima
ML Ishizaki
ML Hoko
ML Shirakami
Allied Ships
SS S-44
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Dutch Harbor at 103,36
Japanese Ships
SS I-124
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1027 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Kelowna, and is sunk
MSW Guysborough
MSW Caraquet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
AK Kenryu Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 25
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-16c x 1
No Japanese losses
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 40
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 8
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 11
No Allied losses
Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 9
No Allied losses
Japanese ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 120th USN Base Force, at 42,58
Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 34
D3A Val x 147
B5N Kate x 224
Ki-27 Nate x 101
Ki-51 Sonia x 23
Ki-15 Babs x 4
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
414 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 30,25
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 104
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Allied ground losses:
34 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 14
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 1
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 5 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8224
Defending force 171843 troops, 1184 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3804
Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17451 troops, 183 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 250
Defending force 8738 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55
Japanese max assault: 246 - adjusted assault: 106
Allied max defense: 54 - adjusted defense: 55
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
112 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Allied ground losses:
35 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chengtu
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 8363 troops, 7 guns, 529 vehicles, Assault Value = 274
Defending force 16675 troops, 52 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 270
Japanese max assault: 442 - adjusted assault: 62
Allied max defense: 224 - adjusted defense: 92
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese ground losses:
234 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 16
Allied ground losses:
264 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Hmm, my supplies are dropping too quickly and I make no further headway. I think that over the next few days I'll rest up and then continue these attacks. They are only achieving 0 to 1 ratios but the fact that tank units are involved should keep Chinese casualties very high
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10209 troops, 160 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 197
Defending force 3266 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 87
Japanese max assault: 193 - adjusted assault: 382
Allied max defense: 82 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 54 to 1
Allied ground losses:
114 casualties reported
The battleline left port yesterday and is now 7 hexes from Karachi and ready to turn east for a sprint inward. I sent it on a very avoidant routing to avoid most of the submarines. On the way back it will default to a direct line path to Bombay and be at great risk but it should be fairly safe on the way in. If I have it planned right the battleline will end the day 60 miles from Karachi. It will have to survive some bomber raids but I think its odds of doing this are pretty good given that the British pilot pools must be almost empty and so most of those bomber pilots are probably low experience draftees.
Ah well, life is risk. I am risking, lets see if it is rewarded or punished...
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Success at Karachi
Range - Considering the fact that range in WitP = thousands of yards, the range would be 0 for mines. The routine for mines, probably doesn't account for range, since it's fairly pointless.
Accuracy - I don't know how this translates. I've seen the smallish nuisance minefields (less than 100 mines) be fairly consistant in damaging enemy ships. I've also seen minefields of 4000 mines do nothing to stop repeated bombardment groups. My thought would be that, "for every 100 mines, there is [accuracy] chance of hitting an enemy vessel". But the data doesn't seem to support that in the least, so I really have no idea.
-F-
Accuracy - I don't know how this translates. I've seen the smallish nuisance minefields (less than 100 mines) be fairly consistant in damaging enemy ships. I've also seen minefields of 4000 mines do nothing to stop repeated bombardment groups. My thought would be that, "for every 100 mines, there is [accuracy] chance of hitting an enemy vessel". But the data doesn't seem to support that in the least, so I really have no idea.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Mines vs Minesweepers
In the game, MSWs and DMs getting nailed by mines seems rather common...Did it happen often historically?
To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
magnetic mines should have greater acc than contact ones
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
ORIGINAL: jeffs
In the game, MSWs and DMs getting nailed by mines seems rather common...Did it happen often historically?
From my readings - yeah. Sweeping mines was not a safe thing at all.
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/25/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
AK Empire Summer, and is sunk
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
Empire Summer is a bleed-over from Karachi. It sank there. In other news Dutch Harbour minesweeping operations continue. Once my major upgrade cycle is completed ( sometime around the beginning of July) I'll be dispatching a few CL-led DD flotillas to Kiska and Amchitka in order to engage in a little attrition of minesweepers etc in the Aleutians.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 34
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
G3M Nell x 54
Ki-21 Sally x 35
Ki-49 Helen x 26
Allied aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed
Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 72
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 18
Hudson I x 45
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 16
Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 12
No Allied losses
Runway hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 22
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-16c x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-15 Babs: 1 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 15
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 3
Buffalo I x 5
Hurricane II x 3
Kittyhawk I x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 damaged
Hmm, the A6M3 sweep cost is beginning to rise. I think I'll begin curtailing these sweeps in the near future and just relying on my massed Zero escorts flying from Ahmadabad to cut down the Allied fighter strength. I am willing to bet that the sheer number of Zeroes will more than outweigh the tactical inferiority of their close escort tasking, especially given the parlous nature of British pilot pools.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 21,4
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 18
Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 2
Vildebeest IV x 2
Blenheim I x 9
Blenheim IV x 17
Wellington III x 10
Martin 139 x 2
Beaufort V-IX x 14
B-26B Marauder x 6
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed
Blenheim I: 4 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Wellington III: 2 damaged
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 3 destroyed, 8 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 3 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 1
BB Nagato
BB Hyuga, Bomb hits 2
I risked ending the battleline run 1 hex from karachi since I wanted to maximise the ops points available during the bombardment attack and was willing to gamble that Allied bomber losses had diluted pilot quality to the point that this sort of strike was survivable. So far so good. I really was worried when I saw 16 torpedo-bombers sortieing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6633
Defending force 172228 troops, 1192 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3811
Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17321 troops, 180 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 246
Defending force 8749 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 54
Japanese max assault: 241 - adjusted assault: 234
Allied max defense: 53 - adjusted defense: 47
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10284 troops, 161 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 200
Defending force 3156 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 77
Japanese max assault: 197 - adjusted assault: 192
Allied max defense: 73 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 27 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
92 casualties reported
Tomorrow the battleline goes into Karachi and I am expecting good results. I'll also give an update on the situation at Amchitka as I expext Trey to try to counter-attack in the Aleutians. Trey will not, IMO, commit to major amphibious operations in the Central Pacific as that would put his carriers at risk outside of range of their own LBA and every time he has sortied a convoy or surface strike group into this area ( and I've chosen to oppose him) the convoy or strike group has been devastated. His advantages do not, yet, lie in his carrier-based airpower. They lie in his LBA and numerous surface strike groups. The Aleutians are the appropriate place to try to capitalise on these advantages as the weather tends to minimise the influence of my land-based torpedo-bombers although, to be fair, sometime around mid-July I am expecting Kiska to open a Level 4 airbase from which I will attrit forces striking Amchitka and the bases to its east with one of my Naval Bomber Divisions. I don't expect to get major returns from this force committment ( due to the fact that it will be closed more often than not due to bad weather) BUT it will complicate the Allied tactical picture and slow any counter-thrust.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
AK Empire Summer, and is sunk
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
Empire Summer is a bleed-over from Karachi. It sank there. In other news Dutch Harbour minesweeping operations continue. Once my major upgrade cycle is completed ( sometime around the beginning of July) I'll be dispatching a few CL-led DD flotillas to Kiska and Amchitka in order to engage in a little attrition of minesweepers etc in the Aleutians.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 34
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Colombo , at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
G3M Nell x 54
Ki-21 Sally x 35
Ki-49 Helen x 26
Allied aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 2 destroyed
Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 72
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 18
Hudson I x 45
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
77 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Catalina I x 4
Hudson I x 16
Allied aircraft losses
Catalina I: 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 12
No Allied losses
Runway hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 22
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1
Ki-15 Babs x 2
Allied aircraft
I-16c x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-15 Babs: 1 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 1 damaged
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 15
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 3
Buffalo I x 5
Hurricane II x 3
Kittyhawk I x 9
P-40E Warhawk x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 damaged
Hmm, the A6M3 sweep cost is beginning to rise. I think I'll begin curtailing these sweeps in the near future and just relying on my massed Zero escorts flying from Ahmadabad to cut down the Allied fighter strength. I am willing to bet that the sheer number of Zeroes will more than outweigh the tactical inferiority of their close escort tasking, especially given the parlous nature of British pilot pools.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 21,4
Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 18
Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 2
Vildebeest IV x 2
Blenheim I x 9
Blenheim IV x 17
Wellington III x 10
Martin 139 x 2
Beaufort V-IX x 14
B-26B Marauder x 6
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed
Blenheim I: 4 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Wellington III: 2 damaged
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 3 destroyed, 8 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 3 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 1
BB Nagato
BB Hyuga, Bomb hits 2
I risked ending the battleline run 1 hex from karachi since I wanted to maximise the ops points available during the bombardment attack and was willing to gamble that Allied bomber losses had diluted pilot quality to the point that this sort of strike was survivable. So far so good. I really was worried when I saw 16 torpedo-bombers sortieing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6633
Defending force 172228 troops, 1192 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3811
Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 42,30
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 17321 troops, 180 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 246
Defending force 8749 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 54
Japanese max assault: 241 - adjusted assault: 234
Allied max defense: 53 - adjusted defense: 47
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10284 troops, 161 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 200
Defending force 3156 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 77
Japanese max assault: 197 - adjusted assault: 192
Allied max defense: 73 - adjusted defense: 7
Japanese assault odds: 27 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
92 casualties reported
Tomorrow the battleline goes into Karachi and I am expecting good results. I'll also give an update on the situation at Amchitka as I expext Trey to try to counter-attack in the Aleutians. Trey will not, IMO, commit to major amphibious operations in the Central Pacific as that would put his carriers at risk outside of range of their own LBA and every time he has sortied a convoy or surface strike group into this area ( and I've chosen to oppose him) the convoy or strike group has been devastated. His advantages do not, yet, lie in his carrier-based airpower. They lie in his LBA and numerous surface strike groups. The Aleutians are the appropriate place to try to capitalise on these advantages as the weather tends to minimise the influence of my land-based torpedo-bombers although, to be fair, sometime around mid-July I am expecting Kiska to open a Level 4 airbase from which I will attrit forces striking Amchitka and the bases to its east with one of my Naval Bomber Divisions. I don't expect to get major returns from this force committment ( due to the fact that it will be closed more often than not due to bad weather) BUT it will complicate the Allied tactical picture and slow any counter-thrust.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/26/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 1, on fire
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 1
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 2
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Kumano
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa
CA Furutaka
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Nowaki
Allied Ships
BB Warspite, Shell hits 3
CL Tromp, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CL Birmingham, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
DD Tjerk Hiddes
DD Tenedos
DD Arrow, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Norman, heavy damage
MSW Cromarty, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
The only significant damage suffered by Japanese forces was a single 15 inch shell hit on Nagato. The British battleships seem to have a habit of landing 1 shell per naval action but that shell is, invariably, a 15 inch shell which guts one of my battleships.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, on fire
BB Yamashiro
BB Hyuga
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Kumano
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa
CA Furutaka
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Nowaki
Allied Ships
PT PT-36
PT PT-37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 96,63
Japanese Ships
ML Yaeyama
Allied Ships
SS Flying Fish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3
Allied aircraft
no flights
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 2 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Wellington III: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Dakota I: 2 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 2 destroyed
Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba
CA Kumano
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
BB Hyuga
BB Yamashiro
Allied Ships
AP Dardanus, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
SS Grayback, hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Wildebeeste, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
Allied ground losses:
9457 casualties reported
Guns lost 111
Vehicles lost 22
Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 36
Port hits 22
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 7
And Grayback sinks. My strategy of damaging the enemy submarine force with massed Helen and Betty ASW flights operating out of Bombay and Samir, forcing the damaged ships to dock, and then destroying them with bombardment looks like it should be quite viable. Approximately 10,000 support troops are killed or injured in this bombardment. If I can repeat this performance every 3 to 4 days then I think things should turn my way at Karachi.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
SS Grayback, and is sunk
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1007 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
DMS Perry
DMS Hopkins
DMS Southard
Ah, DMS... These are high priority targets which I have assigned the same importance as enemy battleships. As such, after enemy aircraft carriers they are my highest priority targets... Undoubtedly Trey
's deployment of them into Dutch harbour presages a bombardment attack on Amchitka and/or amphibious invasion at Adak. I have responded by ordering my minelayers to redouble their efforts around Amchitka, Adak and surrounding seas. No Japanese naval or aerial forces ( save the minelayers and a single Glen operating out of Amchitka) are in position to contest American moves in this area... This is, however, by design and I am quite happy to allow the Americans to capture what they will so long as Amchitka and Kiska remain in my hands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 12
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 51
Ki-21 Sally x 29
Ki-49 Helen x 38
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 5
Buffalo I x 3
Hurricane II x 4
Kittyhawk I x 4
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 6 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed, 10 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 4 destroyed, 10 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Hurricane II: 5 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 5 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
46 casualties reported
Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 85
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 151
A6M3 Zero x 22
Ki-21 Sally x 239
Ki-49 Helen x 12
Ki-46-II Dinah x 15
Allied aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed, 21 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 4 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 5 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 2 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 5 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 4 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed
Swordfish: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
96 casualties reported
Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 256
Several vicious aerial attacks on Karachi are made today. Results are quite good and will be detailed below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 44
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
39 casualties reported
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1
Around the middle of June I should have rebuilt my fighter wings sufficiently to be able to stage 100 Zeroes into Koepang in order to contest these bomber raids. Until then any resistance would be indecisive operationally and strategically and so will not be countenanced.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 14
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 71st Chinese Division, at 39,35
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 25
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
3 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 21st Chinese Corps, at 40,36
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 102
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
148 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 20,6
Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 3
Mohawk IV x 2
Buffalo I x 2
Blenheim I x 9
Blenheim IV x 9
Wellington III x 8
Beaufort V-IX x 3
B-26B Marauder x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Wellington III: 2 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 2 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Hyuga
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
Again the torpedo bombers fail miserably... Pilot experience in the British squadrons must be at rock bottom or they would have managed to hit something. Great, my bombardment group can have the leash they are currently on loosened a little more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Colombo
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 37054 troops, 352 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 747
Defending force 19897 troops, 102 guns, 289 vehicles, Assault Value = 163
Japanese max assault: 1354 - adjusted assault: 168
Allied max defense: 175 - adjusted defense: 919
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)
Japanese ground losses:
2836 casualties reported
Guns lost 74
Vehicles lost 3
Allied ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1
Frustrating indeed. I am going to stop these foolish attacks and settle down to an annoying siege.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 5774
Defending force 172631 troops, 1204 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3825
Allied ground losses:
39 casualties reported
And as you can see the results of the aerial and bombardment attacks are most gratifying. Allied losses on the ground are skyrocketing alarmingly and many of the fighters and bombers pools available to British and Commonwealth forces must be almost depleted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 1, on fire
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 1
BB Hyuga, Shell hits 2
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Kumano
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa
CA Furutaka
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Nowaki
Allied Ships
BB Warspite, Shell hits 3
CL Tromp, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
CL Birmingham, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
DD Tjerk Hiddes
DD Tenedos
DD Arrow, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Norman, heavy damage
MSW Cromarty, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
The only significant damage suffered by Japanese forces was a single 15 inch shell hit on Nagato. The British battleships seem to have a habit of landing 1 shell per naval action but that shell is, invariably, a 15 inch shell which guts one of my battleships.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, on fire
BB Yamashiro
BB Hyuga
CA Nachi
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Kumano
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa
CA Furutaka
DD Hatsukaze
DD Natsushio
DD Nowaki
Allied Ships
PT PT-36
PT PT-37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 96,63
Japanese Ships
ML Yaeyama
Allied Ships
SS Flying Fish
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3
Allied aircraft
no flights
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 2 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Wellington III: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Dakota I: 2 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 2 destroyed
Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
CA Aoba
CA Kumano
CA Mikuma
CA Mogami
CA Nachi
BB Hyuga
BB Yamashiro
Allied Ships
AP Dardanus, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
SS Grayback, hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
AK Empire Wildebeeste, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
Allied ground losses:
9457 casualties reported
Guns lost 111
Vehicles lost 22
Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 36
Port hits 22
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 7
And Grayback sinks. My strategy of damaging the enemy submarine force with massed Helen and Betty ASW flights operating out of Bombay and Samir, forcing the damaged ships to dock, and then destroying them with bombardment looks like it should be quite viable. Approximately 10,000 support troops are killed or injured in this bombardment. If I can repeat this performance every 3 to 4 days then I think things should turn my way at Karachi.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
SS Grayback, and is sunk
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1007 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
DMS Perry
DMS Hopkins
DMS Southard
Ah, DMS... These are high priority targets which I have assigned the same importance as enemy battleships. As such, after enemy aircraft carriers they are my highest priority targets... Undoubtedly Trey
's deployment of them into Dutch harbour presages a bombardment attack on Amchitka and/or amphibious invasion at Adak. I have responded by ordering my minelayers to redouble their efforts around Amchitka, Adak and surrounding seas. No Japanese naval or aerial forces ( save the minelayers and a single Glen operating out of Amchitka) are in position to contest American moves in this area... This is, however, by design and I am quite happy to allow the Americans to capture what they will so long as Amchitka and Kiska remain in my hands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M3 Zero x 12
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 51
Ki-21 Sally x 29
Ki-49 Helen x 38
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 1
Mohawk IV x 5
Buffalo I x 3
Hurricane II x 4
Kittyhawk I x 4
Blenheim IF x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 6 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed, 10 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 4 destroyed, 10 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 1 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Hurricane II: 5 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 damaged
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 5 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
46 casualties reported
Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 85
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 151
A6M3 Zero x 22
Ki-21 Sally x 239
Ki-49 Helen x 12
Ki-46-II Dinah x 15
Allied aircraft
no flights
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 3 destroyed, 21 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk I: 4 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed
Catalina I: 1 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 5 destroyed
Hurricane II: 1 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 4 destroyed
Dakota I: 2 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 5 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 4 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Vildebeest IV: 2 destroyed
Swordfish: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
96 casualties reported
Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 256
Several vicious aerial attacks on Karachi are made today. Results are quite good and will be detailed below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Koepang , at 28,77
Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 15
Hudson I x 44
Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 damaged
Japanese ground losses:
39 casualties reported
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1
Around the middle of June I should have rebuilt my fighter wings sufficiently to be able to stage 100 Zeroes into Koepang in order to contest these bomber raids. Until then any resistance would be indecisive operationally and strategically and so will not be countenanced.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 14
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 71st Chinese Division, at 39,35
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 25
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
3 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 21st Chinese Corps, at 40,36
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 102
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
148 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 20,6
Allied aircraft
Swordfish x 3
Mohawk IV x 2
Buffalo I x 2
Blenheim I x 9
Blenheim IV x 9
Wellington III x 8
Beaufort V-IX x 3
B-26B Marauder x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Wellington III: 2 damaged
Beaufort V-IX: 2 damaged
Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Hyuga
CA Aoba
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa
Again the torpedo bombers fail miserably... Pilot experience in the British squadrons must be at rock bottom or they would have managed to hit something. Great, my bombardment group can have the leash they are currently on loosened a little more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Colombo
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 37054 troops, 352 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 747
Defending force 19897 troops, 102 guns, 289 vehicles, Assault Value = 163
Japanese max assault: 1354 - adjusted assault: 168
Allied max defense: 175 - adjusted defense: 919
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 8)
Japanese ground losses:
2836 casualties reported
Guns lost 74
Vehicles lost 3
Allied ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1
Frustrating indeed. I am going to stop these foolish attacks and settle down to an annoying siege.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 3150 troops, 106 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 5774
Defending force 172631 troops, 1204 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3825
Allied ground losses:
39 casualties reported
And as you can see the results of the aerial and bombardment attacks are most gratifying. Allied losses on the ground are skyrocketing alarmingly and many of the fighters and bombers pools available to British and Commonwealth forces must be almost depleted.

- Attachments
-
- 26mayb.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 261 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/27/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 19,9
Japanese Ships
APD APD-46
APD APD-39
APD APD-38
APD APD-37
APD APD-36
APD APD-35
APD APD-33
APD APD-2
APD APD-1
Allied Ships
SS Grenadier, hits 4
Not much damage but, hopefully, enough to send it into port where my battleline can sink it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
AK Uzan Maru
PG Seikai Maru
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 14
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 10
No Allied losses
Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 15th UK Field Artillery Regiment, at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
G3M Nell x 23
Ki-21 Sally x 26
Ki-49 Helen x 19
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
72 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 95
A6M3 Zero x 13
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2
Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 7
Buffalo I x 3
Kittyhawk I x 2
Blenheim IF x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 2 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 5 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
A much larger sweep achieves very good results. The results of the air combat over Karachi are pushing my Zero squadrons' experience levels into the 80s ( with a mix of pilots in their 90s leavened with a few newish recruits with experience in the 50s but rising quickly).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 28
G3M Nell x 6
G4M1 Betty x 11
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 6 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged
Allied Ships
BB Warspite, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Well, it looks like Warspite is finished in practical terms. It will either sink or become a yard bird in Karachi where I can claim it later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
G3M Nell x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Allied Ships
DD Norman, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 11
Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged
Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied ground losses:
193 casualties reported
Ah and the Americans counter-invade. I have been expecting this and while the Americans were not attacked by the RO class submarine I have patrolling the seas around Adak I will use this submarine to take out a cadre of the defending engineer battalion for rebuilding at Amchitka.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 7230 troops, 237 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6132
Defending force 173036 troops, 1211 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3836
Allied ground losses:
170 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
My bombardment attacks at Chungking continue. It will take time but it looks like it will be effective.
And now to discuss the defences of Amchitka since that looks like where Trey will attack next:
As you can see below Amchitka is well-supplied and well-defended.
A single CD unit, a construction Bn, aviation regiment, 2 base forces, the 21st and 4th Mixed Brigades and 5 Naval Guard units form a strong garrison. When combined with the 13,442 mines currently present ( and being added to weekly) this force should be strong enough to see off anything short of a 4 or 5-division assault. Once the port is up to level 3 I will concentrate simply on increasing the fort level. Then I will withdraw the engineers ( to prevent enemy forces from using the "bomb the airfield and port into nothingness to use up enemy supply" game mechanic) and sit back while basing offensive operations out of Kiska.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1064 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Quatsino
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 19,9
Japanese Ships
APD APD-46
APD APD-39
APD APD-38
APD APD-37
APD APD-36
APD APD-35
APD APD-33
APD APD-2
APD APD-1
Allied Ships
SS Grenadier, hits 4
Not much damage but, hopefully, enough to send it into port where my battleline can sink it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
AK Uzan Maru
PG Seikai Maru
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 14
No Allied losses
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 1st Tank Regiment, at 36,25
Allied aircraft
SB-2c x 10
No Allied losses
Japanese ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 15th UK Field Artillery Regiment, at 14,24
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
G3M Nell x 23
Ki-21 Sally x 26
Ki-49 Helen x 19
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 damaged
Allied ground losses:
72 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 95
A6M3 Zero x 13
Ki-46-II Dinah x 2
Allied aircraft
Mohawk IV x 7
Buffalo I x 3
Kittyhawk I x 2
Blenheim IF x 1
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M3 Zero: 2 destroyed
Allied aircraft losses
Mohawk IV: 5 destroyed
Buffalo I: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
Blenheim IF: 1 destroyed
A much larger sweep achieves very good results. The results of the air combat over Karachi are pushing my Zero squadrons' experience levels into the 80s ( with a mix of pilots in their 90s leavened with a few newish recruits with experience in the 50s but rising quickly).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 28
G3M Nell x 6
G4M1 Betty x 11
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 6 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged
Allied Ships
BB Warspite, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
Well, it looks like Warspite is finished in practical terms. It will either sink or become a yard bird in Karachi where I can claim it later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
G3M Nell x 3
Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged
Allied Ships
DD Norman, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Karachi at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G3M Nell x 3
G4M1 Betty x 11
Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged
Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied ground losses:
193 casualties reported
Ah and the Americans counter-invade. I have been expecting this and while the Americans were not attacked by the RO class submarine I have patrolling the seas around Adak I will use this submarine to take out a cadre of the defending engineer battalion for rebuilding at Amchitka.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 7230 troops, 237 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 6132
Defending force 173036 troops, 1211 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3836
Allied ground losses:
170 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
My bombardment attacks at Chungking continue. It will take time but it looks like it will be effective.
And now to discuss the defences of Amchitka since that looks like where Trey will attack next:
As you can see below Amchitka is well-supplied and well-defended.
A single CD unit, a construction Bn, aviation regiment, 2 base forces, the 21st and 4th Mixed Brigades and 5 Naval Guard units form a strong garrison. When combined with the 13,442 mines currently present ( and being added to weekly) this force should be strong enough to see off anything short of a 4 or 5-division assault. Once the port is up to level 3 I will concentrate simply on increasing the fort level. Then I will withdraw the engineers ( to prevent enemy forces from using the "bomb the airfield and port into nothingness to use up enemy supply" game mechanic) and sit back while basing offensive operations out of Kiska.

- Attachments
-
- 26maya.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 261 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
.


- Attachments
-
- 26mayd.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 261 times
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.
RE: Mines vs Minesweepers
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/28/42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied Ships
AP Hunter Liggett, Mine hits 1
Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
248 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied ground losses:
256 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
It looks like the force landing at Adak are fairly sizeable. Still, 2 regiments at Amchitka should be sufficient to destroy them when the time is right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 39
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
A6M3 Zero x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 94
Ki-49 Helen x 3
Ki-46-II Dinah x 8
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 2
Mohawk IV x 7
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 5 destroyed, 32 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 2 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Hurricane II: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Dakota I: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 5 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 4 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Wellington III: 4 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Swordfish: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
196 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1
Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 96
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 13
No Allied losses
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 30,25
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 111
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Nates aren't exactly first-line bombers but since I don't have any bombers to spare at present they are all I have available to create a little disruption among the defenders of Chandpur. Over the next fortnight I will begin pulling my Helens out of India and rebuilding their daitai. I am currently producing approximately 100 Sallys per month which should increase to 150 per month by mid-July and that should allow me to rebuild my entire bomber force by mid-August.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 5
B-26B Marauder x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 damaged
Japanese Ships
PG Myoken Maru
APD APD-36
APD APD-46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
PC Gamitsu Maru #1
PC Ch 32
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 18
PC Ch 17
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13
PC Ch 3
PC Ch 2
PC Ch 1
PC Showa Maru #5
PC Showa Maru #3
PC Shonon Maru #15
PC Nichi Maru #1
PC Kyo Maru #13
PC Kyo Maru #12
PC Kyo Maru #11
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus, hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 315293 troops, 3456 guns, 27 vehicles, Assault Value = 6193
Defending force 173150 troops, 1214 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3841
Allied ground losses:
251 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10326 troops, 166 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 202
Defending force 2847 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 58
Japanese max assault: 200 - adjusted assault: 193
Allied max defense: 37 - adjusted defense: 1
Japanese assault odds: 193 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
5620 casualties reported
And the holdouts on the trail south-west of Kweiyang are killed off... for 30 days [:D]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chandpur
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 20885 troops, 138 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 401
Defending force 10935 troops, 152 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 139
Japanese max assault: 698 - adjusted assault: 237
Allied max defense: 111 - adjusted defense: 85
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0
Japanese ground losses:
405 casualties reported
Guns lost 9
Vehicles lost 1
Allied ground losses:
259 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 1
Well, the attack on Chandpur didn't go nearly as well as it could have, mustering only a third of the maximum adjusted assault possible BUT it went well enough. With no fortifications Chandpur is sure to fall soon enough freeing the division committed to it capture for deployment to Karachi.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied Ships
AP Hunter Liggett, Mine hits 1
Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
248 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1049 encounters mine field at Adak Island (98,36)
TF 1049 troops unloading over beach at Adak Island, 98,36
Allied ground losses:
256 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1035 encounters mine field at Dutch Harbor (103,36)
Allied Ships
MSW Courtenay
It looks like the force landing at Adak are fairly sizeable. Still, 2 regiments at Amchitka should be sufficient to destroy them when the time is right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 10th Group Army, at 39,34
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 39
No Japanese losses
Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on Karachi , at 21,3
Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 39
A6M3 Zero x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 94
Ki-49 Helen x 3
Ki-46-II Dinah x 8
Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 2
Mohawk IV x 7
Buffalo I x 2
Hurricane II x 2
Kittyhawk I x 3
P-40B Tomahawk x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2
Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-21 Sally: 5 destroyed, 32 damaged
Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 2 destroyed
Mohawk IV: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Buffalo I: 1 destroyed
Hurricane II: 2 destroyed
Kittyhawk I: 2 destroyed
P-40B Tomahawk: 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed
Dakota I: 4 destroyed
Blenheim IV: 5 destroyed
Beaufort V-IX: 4 destroyed
PBY Catalina: 1 destroyed
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed
Wellington III: 4 destroyed
B-26B Marauder: 2 destroyed
Martin 139: 1 destroyed
Swordfish: 1 destroyed
Allied ground losses:
196 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Vehicles lost 1
Airbase hits 14
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 96
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on French Frigate Shoal , at 104,68
Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 13
No Allied losses
Runway hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 30,25
Japanese aircraft
Ki-27 Nate x 111
Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27 Nate: 1 destroyed, 4 damaged
Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Nates aren't exactly first-line bombers but since I don't have any bombers to spare at present they are all I have available to create a little disruption among the defenders of Chandpur. Over the next fortnight I will begin pulling my Helens out of India and rebuilding their daitai. I am currently producing approximately 100 Sallys per month which should increase to 150 per month by mid-July and that should allow me to rebuild my entire bomber force by mid-August.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 19,9
Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 5
B-26B Marauder x 3
Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 damaged
Japanese Ships
PG Myoken Maru
APD APD-36
APD APD-46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 32,64
Japanese Ships
PC Gamitsu Maru #1
PC Ch 32
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 18
PC Ch 17
PC Ch 16
PC Ch 15
PC Ch 14
PC Ch 13
PC Ch 3
PC Ch 2
PC Ch 1
PC Showa Maru #5
PC Showa Maru #3
PC Shonon Maru #15
PC Nichi Maru #1
PC Kyo Maru #13
PC Kyo Maru #12
PC Kyo Maru #11
Allied Ships
SS Nautilus, hits 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chungking
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 315293 troops, 3456 guns, 27 vehicles, Assault Value = 6193
Defending force 173150 troops, 1214 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3841
Allied ground losses:
251 casualties reported
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 40,36
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 10326 troops, 166 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 202
Defending force 2847 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 58
Japanese max assault: 200 - adjusted assault: 193
Allied max defense: 37 - adjusted defense: 1
Japanese assault odds: 193 to 1
Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Allied ground losses:
5620 casualties reported
And the holdouts on the trail south-west of Kweiyang are killed off... for 30 days [:D]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Chandpur
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 20885 troops, 138 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 401
Defending force 10935 troops, 152 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 139
Japanese max assault: 698 - adjusted assault: 237
Allied max defense: 111 - adjusted defense: 85
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0
Japanese ground losses:
405 casualties reported
Guns lost 9
Vehicles lost 1
Allied ground losses:
259 casualties reported
Guns lost 15
Vehicles lost 1
Well, the attack on Chandpur didn't go nearly as well as it could have, mustering only a third of the maximum adjusted assault possible BUT it went well enough. With no fortifications Chandpur is sure to fall soon enough freeing the division committed to it capture for deployment to Karachi.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Well, that's that settled then.






