Aircraft vs Infantry?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
Dragoon 45
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 am

Aircraft vs Infantry?

Post by Dragoon 45 »

When playing with aircraft, I have been constantly frustrated in trying to get aircraft to deliberately target infantry formations. It seems that aircraft have two targeting priorities in the Game and no others, first they go after vehicles with tanks at the top of the list, and then go after artillery/forts as the next priority. It is impossible to get them to target infantry; even infantry in the open, moving.

Is this a code issue?
Artillery always has the Right of Way
azraelck
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:00 am

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Post by azraelck »

Hmm. While I don't use aircraft myself, I have never seemed to have a problem having aircraft target my infantry, and wipe out whole companies while doing so. Early on, when I first started playing SP WaW, I massed my infantry together, and found out the hard way not to do so. Vichy French planes left me with 2 weakened squads, out of two companies of US Army Rangers. Enemy fortifications, infantry, and guns left me with 2 Shermans, 1 Halftrack, and my AO.

It is their effectiveness that caused me to not use them. The AI isn't overly good (or wasn't, until Advanced) and Aircraft, when 99% they won't bother picking any, is almost cheating.
"Wait... Holden was a cat. Suddenly it makes sense."
User avatar
Don Doom
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Lost somewhere in the upper backwoods of Michigan!

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Post by Don Doom »

If I remember correctly it's targets as follows:
1]trucks
2]tanks
3]AC
4]inf

If all it see's is inf then it will attack them, but if it sees either tanks,ac's, or trucks it will attack them instead even if it is it's own side!!
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
pbhawkin1
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Mudgee, Australia

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Post by pbhawkin1 »

Having just suffered a pbem game against an opponent who had 4 Hs 129 ground attack aircraft it was interesting watching the dialog box show what the aircraft was targeting as it flew in.
It certainly targeted HIS tanks first (I had none left) then changed to my arty (including AA guns). When I had no arty left it tageted his tanks and didn't target my infantry (although I really only had crews on the board at this stage!)
Regards
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
FlashfyreSP
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:39 am
Location: Combat Information Center
Contact:

RE: Aircraft vs Infantry?

Post by FlashfyreSP »

The basic answer to this is, Yes, it is a code issue. One that has plagued the game since the early days.
ImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”