Andy Mac v PZB ....The Allies Fight Back

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

And I am I have 3 Sqns of F4U1D's but they are all NAVY sqns. (I only use 2 at any one time as the third is rebuilding/replacement mode)
 
My agreement in pretty much every game I play is that I won't use Marine Corsairs Sqns on CV's.
 
I think this is a fairly standard rule agreed for most games.
 
 
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

Actually l the ability to downgrade some of my Hellcat Sqns the Wildcats would be exceptionally usefull right now.
 
 
 
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

OK last post for a while PZB is on 2 weeks holiday so I will take my time over the next turn plan provisional operations and do some detailed planning for objectives forthe future.
 
Frank an Indian adventure by a single Corps is a possibility after I sieze Malaya. More is just not worth it
 
I will also begin the reorganisation process in my rear areas as my units are a little disorganised and work out how to finish off Noemfoor.
 
 
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: skrewball

I have been a fan of both your's and PzB's AARs for a while now. And as much as I am rooting for JPN here [;)] I am curious how your sub fleet is? At this point in the war, the US sub fleet was sinking japanese shipping at an average rate of 150,000 tons a month or 40 ships. PzB can produce so much because you haven't made any dedicated efforts to curtail his industry. Just my opinion.

You forget that because supply is produced at resource centres on a 1 : 1.25 ratio and it is available in absolutely bullshit quantities it is not nearly as necessary for Japan to move supply from the Home Islands...it is produced at the front!!! So, aside from the odd massive resource convoy or oil convoy, the only convoys at sea are invasion convoys. And with no civilian economy, there is no need to bring/move supply among the home islands and the mainland. How can subs sink ships when they are not at sea?
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Sneer
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:24 pm

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Sneer »

2 reasons
1.lack of india/burma theater which usually makes JAP airforce bleeding fast so no big pools available usually
2. free supply in india which makes industry buildup comfortable - especially with no pressure in land combat - i think 60-70% of JAP HI is devoted to planes - there is no need for land units and navy at this moment - you can't exhaust jap economy in THIS game with such strategy

lack of 4e campaign / small amount of combats with corsairs and so on as secondary issues

Sorry Andy but engine is more or less ok - - balance of this game was far from usual position but volunteered for this

User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

ORIGINAL: skrewball

I have been a fan of both your's and PzB's AARs for a while now. And as much as I am rooting for JPN here [;)] I am curious how your sub fleet is? At this point in the war, the US sub fleet was sinking japanese shipping at an average rate of 150,000 tons a month or 40 ships. PzB can produce so much because you haven't made any dedicated efforts to curtail his industry. Just my opinion.

You forget that because supply is produced at resource centres on a 1 : 1.25 ratio and it is available in absolutely bullshit quantities it is not nearly as necessary for Japan to move supply from the Home Islands...it is produced at the front!!! So, aside from the odd massive resource convoy or oil convoy, the only convoys at sea are invasion convoys. And with no civilian economy, there is no need to bring/move supply among the home islands and the mainland. How can subs sink ships when they are not at sea?


Wonder what I do wrong in all my games as Japanese (and all the Japanese opponents do wrong when I´m the Allied)? [X(] I agree with you Ron that it´s ridicoulos that supply is generated in such an amount "near" the front. But I still have dozens of convoys on the map going around to bring supplies somewhere. The supply from the SRA has still be brought out, there´s no sense in leaving the supply in e.g. Toboali!! Dozens of TFs are only bringing supplies somewhere. With all the cargos and tankers at sea hauling oil and resources I think there are hundreds of merchants at sea in my games. And it´s surely easier to catch them in the SRA than on the open ocean when they come from the home islands, at least this is the experience I made with my subs hunting Jap merchants.

I think in most PBEMs the issue of hunting Japanese merchants is underestimated. Every time I´m the Allied side this is one of my primary tasks!!! This is what I fear the most as Japanese, not Corsairs shooting down my Zekes over Tarawa!
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Nomad »

Keep in mind two things. This game was played using version 1.5 for a long time. PzB has massive amounts of Level bombers on ASW. I was having trouble moving my subs into any location where I could attack supply convoys. Gettting within 5 or 6 hexes of any size 4 airbase was a death sentence. I lost 12 subs just trying to move them to the West of Luzon. They were all attacked by swarms of aircraft and sunk. [:(] So, before you tell someone their stratagy is wrong, know all the facts. [:)]
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Keep in mind two things. This game was played using version 1.5 for a long time. PzB has massive amounts of Level bombers on ASW. I was having trouble moving my subs into any location where I could attack supply convoys. Gettting within 5 or 6 hexes of any size 4 airbase was a death sentence. I lost 12 subs just trying to move them to the West of Luzon. They were all attacked by swarms of aircraft and sunk. [:(] So, before you tell someone their stratagy is wrong, know all the facts. [:)]


[:)] It wasn´t my intention to tell anyone that he´s using the wrong strategy, I just wanted to tell that I´m using the right strategy! [;)]

Seriously, yes this is a problem. But this is the same with using thousands of planes at a location. I don´t have a house rule on that in my games (wasn´t necesarry so far) but if my opponent has at every base near the shipping lanes 150 bombers on ASW attack.... well, don´t know what I would tell him.... [&:]

Everything should go in normal ways....
User avatar
skrewball
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Belgium

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by skrewball »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Wonder what I do wrong in all my games as Japanese (and all the Japanese opponents do wrong when I´m the Allied)? [X(] I agree with you Ron that it´s ridicoulos that supply is generated in such an amount "near" the front. But I still have dozens of convoys on the map going around to bring supplies somewhere. The supply from the SRA has still be brought out, there´s no sense in leaving the supply in e.g. Toboali!! Dozens of TFs are only bringing supplies somewhere. With all the cargos and tankers at sea hauling oil and resources I think there are hundreds of merchants at sea in my games. And it´s surely easier to catch them in the SRA than on the open ocean when they come from the home islands, at least this is the experience I made with my subs hunting Jap merchants.

I think in most PBEMs the issue of hunting Japanese merchants is underestimated. Every time I´m the Allied side this is one of my primary tasks!!! This is what I fear the most as Japanese, not Corsairs shooting down my Zekes over Tarawa!

Yeah...when I was in my short PBEM as the allies, in 3 months of war...Dutch subs had sank 30+ AP/AKs. So it is possible. I had him panicing [:D]
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

Guys I am pretty confident I can shut down PZB's economy. Subs, air and surface forces are going to kick him in the nuts. And India is only good for him while he holds it !!!!!
 
Sneer I am NOT complaining about the engine, I am delighted to have this game and am having massive fun with it. (to be fair I enjoy all my PBEM's for different reasons)
 
My only issue is that the Hellcat replacement rate is wrong by about a factor of 3 which hamstrings US Carrier Ops.
 
Its an issue which I think should be corrected but I am not losing any sleep over it. I read the signs correctly early enough and pulled out of an invasion that would have been a disaster had I proceeded. (I think PZB missed a trick he should have let me land then attrited my fighter pools).
 
The lack of Hellcats just means I will rely on uber CAP, be more sensitive to losses and proceed under a veritable blanket of LBA. Its crap for PZB because its a low risk strategy but it WILL get the job done.
 
Does anyone really think I was wrong to pull out of the invasion ?
 
Andy
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

Nomad is right I tried an offensive under 1.5 with subs but since we upgraded to 1.8 my subs are a lot more effective. I still lose a few but I am sinking merchantmen.
 
(One reason for really going  for Malaya soon is to have an advanced fleet base with repair yard.)
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

p.s. I really dont care about PZB's production the more industry he has the more VP's I get when I firebomb the place. I am concerned about the lack of US Hellcat production.
 
If it came across otherwise in earlier posts apologies.
 
User avatar
Sneer
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:24 pm

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Sneer »

as far as hellcat i give you my support - should be at least twice that high 
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac
Does anyone really think I was wrong to pull out of the invasion ?

Andy

I think you were right to. If you stayed on site he would have over whelmed you eventually and it would've been a disaster IMO.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
Sneer
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:24 pm

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Sneer »

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Does anyone really think I was wrong to pull out of the invasion ?

Andy

very difficult to say - it was not an atoll so you could take it i think
costs ??? - probably nightmare but ...
B29 close to HI could be worth it

question - what will be next important CV task - with tinian marianes could be taken sooner or later and CV force could only cap transports and keep KB out of play
even 4-5 months break after that could be acceptable

User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 7273
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: West Yellowstone, Montana

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Nomad »

Andy, I think you did right to cancel. You can not cap something if you have no fighters. [:)] I was glad when I saw the PzB agreed to upgrade to 1.8(01). You should have much better success with your subs now. You will have to keep most of your advances under a Corsair umbrella. [8D]
User avatar
Sneer
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:24 pm

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Sneer »

what about palaus area - this region can bring support from 4e monsters to any invasion in the area ?
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

I am considering it Sneer but Wasile and the Sulawesi ops give me an opportunity to advance skirting the PI so I think a 1-2 punch 6th and 8th Armies up the corridor of Western PI/Eastern Borneo and then launch 1st Aus Army at Malaya is the way to go.
 
I will need as many CB's as I can find so I will start shifting the stockpiled ones out of SF
 
10th Army will activate in 30 days and will take over planning for Centpac with 4 Corps under command
 
Andy
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by Andy Mac »

Tarakan, Brunei, Jesselton, Balikapan,Mindanao, Miri, Sandakan, Kuching, Cebu, Puerto Princessa, Taytay the islands between PI and Borneo basically plenty of areas to attack with minimal opposition on the ground without going too near to Luzon

Basically to many bases for PZB to secure them all.

I am also considering my own version of Market Garden using the whole of 11th Airborne to capture Kuching, Miri or Brunei

PZB really should have let me get tangled up at the Marianas and not frightened me off !!!!!
User avatar
jwxspoon
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:08 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC USA
Contact:

RE: Operation Thunderchild

Post by jwxspoon »

This may be a really stupid question, but why can't you set the NF Hellcats to day operations and use them?
 
jw
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”