Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Yamato hugger
Posts: 3791
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:38 am

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Yamato hugger »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

I would agree with you up to a point. Burma's unique geography SHOULD favor whichever side controls and can make use of RANGOON. This was as true for the Japanese as for the Allies. But the game provides the Japanese with Road and Rail
connections to Burma (depending on what map you use), while the Allies must use several hexes of Trails from their side.
My point is that Burma's LAND communications with ALL her neighbors were poor. The maps only make this true for the Allies. It needs to be fixed.

It would be foolish for the Jap to not take Rangoon. All of Burmas oil goes there. Its the only place you can ship it out of, so why not take it? You have to run tanker convoys in anyway, so why not supplies as well? I guess I dont understand why you would be upset about Japan not taking Rangoon. As the allies, I would welcome it.
User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
Mike, I've been playing exclusively on Andrew's map since it came out in January, and I tend to agree with you in that it seems awfully easy to drive into Burma form Thailand now. At the same time, however, the two Burmese brigades are no longer completely cut off and useless as they are in their starting positions on the original map. Are you willing to share your ideas about his map, or is that a private conversation?

No, but it will be off the top of my tired head. There was no Thailand-Burma RR at game start. It wasn't really ready
until almost 1944..., and then it was a narrow-gaged, low capacity route.
.
.
Another problem
that he failde tonotice is that the RR heading north in Thailand farther east goes at least 1 hex too far north, and then
is linked over the mountains by a road (not trail) hex. Should be no connection at all, but 2 hexes of trail would be far closer to the truth than what is there now.

I should have noticed the "Burma railroad" on my map and drawn it differently. The railway was on the 1944 National Geographic map I used as a reference and I didn't realise that it should not really have been included on my map.

I have decided to do the following for version 3 of my map:
  • Replace the "Burma Railway" with a track.
  • Change the road hex at the end of the railway to Northern Thailand (Siam) to trail.

Actually, here is my list of fixes/changes so far:

Version 3 includes the following fixes, changes and additions:
Fixes:

1. The hex types for the Irkutsk (hex 59,12) and Ulan-Ude (hex 59,13) in the Soviet Union have been changed from Coastal to Land to prevent the AI from trying to use the bases as destinations for naval task forces.

Changes:

1. Christmas Island (IO) (hex 15,62) has been changed from Atoll terrain to Jungle terrain. This island has an area of about 100 square kilometres.
2. Canton in China (hex 43,41) had been made a coastal location so that it can be used as a port. It is open to the sea to the West.
3. The road in the hex adjacent to Victoria Point in Burma (hex 25,40) was causing a lot of confusion. It was not supposed to connect to Victoria Point as several people supposed, but it was not of any use in the game either, so it has been removed.
4. The transport link between Khota Baru (hex 24,45) and Kuantan (hex 24,48) has been downgraded from a Road to a Trail, as the transport links on the East coast of Malaya were poor.
5. There was no road between Kuantan (hex 24,48) and Mersing (hex 23,50), so the road between these two hexes along the Eastern coast of Malaya has been removed.
6. The transort link at Fort St. John in Canada (hex 131,27) has been changed from Railway to Road, as the railway did not reach all the way to Fort St. John.
7. The port values for Noumea (hex 66,117) have been reduced to more realistic levels.
8. The map art at Nome in Alaska (hex 104,23) has been adjusted to make it look less like Nome is floating in the sea.

Additions:

1. The Malaria zone has been made visible by adding a border around it, including around bases that are within the zone area but are Malaria free, such as Saigon, Manila and Singapore. The border is drawn in the same style as the weather area borders, but using yellow instead of blue.

I am most grateful for the suggestions you have made Mike, as well as those from others including bradfordkay. Please let me know if you can see other things that need improving or fixing.

Thanks,
Andrew
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Halsey »

Let me know if you'll fix this for my "no lines" map Andrew. No hurry. Still waiting on 1.5 and the CHS to roll on a new game. Thanks.
User avatar
Bombur
Posts: 3666
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 am

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Bombur »

1) The air model is still too strong, planes too effective in general, especially the larger bombers with re to their service.

-Correct. I think I may fix some of the superpowers of the large bombers using the editor. I´m making an experience with multiplying all the bombloads for 0,454 (so the number presented in the screen would be the bombload in kilograms). Then I will correct the load cost for each item. This may or may not work. There is also the night bombing thing, but if I reduce the effectiveness of a heavy to levels close to a medium one then I think I could get a more realistic model for night bombing too.

And I wonder why. Now I don't know, but the designers did listen to some of the complaints in this area as expressed in relation to UV. For instance, they corrected the way fatigue was overmodeled, especially for planes flying CAP or jumping off a ship in a port. Okay, so we know they're listening, and they're not above admitting the first model in these areas was whacky. Right?

-Agree, fatigue in UV was overmodelled to the extent one couldn´t keep more than 50% CAP withouth horrendous loss of effectiveness.
And I figure, if they can affect that change, then why not also put in a little rule (coded) that makes it harder (more supplies, more ground support) to service a four-engine bomber than a single-engine fighter?

-Agree, the editor can´t do it....
Bettys and Nells of course and as always are just dynamite, we'd expect that. The "staging" mechanic still allows outrageous abuse of the model.

-Correct again. What I could do is to decrease the durability of those planes and create a special torpedo (with the same name), but with less accuracy, to be used in these planes.

(This bad rule will be even more pronounced, without a doubt, when the Allies start rolling with all the B-17s that are around--and why are there so many of those?)

-Correct
Oh yes, and let's not forget . . . we still have a bonus for Zeros . . . what would a Grigsby game be without one of those?

-But I don´t think a bonus for Zeros is wrong. Maybe the extent of this bonus is wrong, but there is the fact the allied pilots had troubles in engaging the Zeros until this famous capture of a Zero in the Aleutians, which allowed the USA to see the strong and weak points of that plane. I´m wrong?
2) The naval model still sucks. How? Just about everywhere and in all ways. There's no difference to the program between a port hex and a sea hex with regard to how it handles engagements--from what I can see. Just one example: I know for a fact that it's possible to raid a port with enemy ships at anchor, protected by a lone DD, and have over half one's force (all crusiers) refuse or neglect to fire a shot, and with 95% of all shots that were fired directed at that poor DD. (The excuse here is that those cruisers didn't have enough night experience, but that doesn't wash. Not in a port, with anchored targets "defended" by just one DD--oh yeah, and an ML. Sorry. No sale. And you could not tell anyone but a child that some of those cruisers "were off at another part of the hex" when we're talking about a port here--but then as I say, the program doesn't make the distinction between ports and sea hexes per se.)

-What an horror, I didn´t know this could happen
Bombardments are still too strong by a large degree, ships can still re-arm themselves too easily in measly ports, there is still no concept of task groups or even actual ship crews, no thought at all toward training ships together as integral fighting groups (even though I'm strictly an Allied player, I've got to say the Japanese take a terribly unjust hit on that one--or to put it another way the Americans get a break)

-Agreed, another hard coded thing....
, the strike cooordination rule/penalty/call it what you will is something apparently just dreamed up by someone, the CAP rules make no sense

-Tell me more about the CAP rule

The submarine/ASW stuff is ca-ca from the get-go, and don't even get me going on the Allied sub doctrine rule--how did that get in there? Yet another bad dream? A nightmare?

-Maybe it´s possible to fix the sub thing in the editor. The guys at CHS seems to be working on it
It appears to be the case that the CD routines are still not correct, and if I'm not mistaken these units seem to have greater success at night than in the day--not sure about that, but from my limited play thus far that looks to be the case . . . which of course would not be correct. In any event one can still just plop any number of mobile CDs into some godforsaken hex, say, Lunga, and have all two gazillion of them up and working immediately! How dumb is that?

-I agree with you that CD seems to work better at night
Mines have been toned down to the point where I know for sure Japanese bombardment TFs can (and do) regularly sail into port waters with as many as (now) over 1700 (that's seventeen hundred!) mines without exploding one of them. It's also quite possible for a Japanese cruiser to hit one and sail blithely away at twenty knots or so--one just did right under my nose. Now I'd guess that's just possible in real life, but my point is mines, for whatever the rationale employed, have been rendered impotent by any reasonable standard. I'm not saying Japanese or Allied ships cannot hit mines. They can. Just not very often.

-In my Guadalcanal campaign, mines had a reasonable performance. My enemy is disembarking in Shortland and he lost lots of ships to mines. They seem to be effective vs. slow ships. How was their historical performance?
And no, I am not interested in someone explaining all this stuff away by telling me "That's okay, by 1943 you, as the Allies, will have the same advantages." Or whatever. That illogic does not "balance" anything in my book.

-Agreed
3) The land-combat model didn't impress me in UV; it totally disenchants me when applied to the larger areas of terra firma which exist in WitP. (Actually, I find the conflict in China to be ingrossing. I don't know much about the history of that theater, just casual reads from time to time. It does depress to discover from all accounts from players who are more experienced with this than I am in the game that the Japanese can pretty much sweep the board there, though. That alone would tell me the land-combat model isn't worth squat, though I figured that out for myself for other reasons.)

-Maybe it is possible to fix that China trouble
How about logistics?
I guess the problem here is: how detailed does one want to be? Well, as it drives everything else then how un-detailed can one afford to be? Detailed or no, the generic nature of "supply" certainly exacerbates (actually outright allows) abuses in all other areas, such as bombardment TFs getting resupplied so easily, for instance, and B-17s ruling everything within their flight radius, for instance2, etc.

-Correct, the generic nature of supply is a trouble. Furthermore, I see a pass backward in relation to the old PacWar. In that game, replacements were only sent to LCU´s, LBA sqadrons when a ship disembarked supplies. Now, if you stock enough supplies in a given Island, you can go on receiving replacements even if you´re completely isolated. Seems pretty unrealistic to me. Maybe WiTP have some robt soldiers that are activated when necessary? I also cannot understand why aircraft don´t use fuel instead of supplies?????
Re Japanese supply: I don't know this for a fact, that's merely what I've read, but from so many players who do seem to have their acts together that I'm sure it's true. Just for example, wherever you find resources you find supplies being generated. What's that? What is the point of having "resources" in the first place if they do not need to be first transported to "factories" in order to be of any use?

-But resources must be transported in the game, I´m missing something?
Also, from a study of the IJN OOB it would seem as if all Japanese shipping might be dedicated to the needs of the military, with no thought at all having to import large amounts of food and other things in order to keep the civilians not just happy but alive! If that's not right, please correct me, but that's what it looks like to me. Someone will say, "But yes, the Americans don't have to be "fed" either." Well yes, but for a good reason. America was self-suffiicient except for luxury items, which were in short supply during the war but hardly affected the issue in any critical sense. Meanwhile, Japan was anything but self-sufficient. Japan needed to import all sorts of basic stuff. Like even rice.

-The logistics model is too abstract to include that food stuff. It would be very complex to include a separate food resource in the game.
What do you think? I'd like to hear your ideas.

-Most of my experience was with small scenario. I´m still studying the game, but I have the strange impression that some aspects worsened in relation to UV and, to some extent, Pacwar (there were much more restriction to heavies in Pacwar, because you couldn´t build a size 9 airfield unless max allowed was 9, no airfields bigger than allowed size-and a 4 size AF could operate only 4 squadrons and so on). On the other hand, the game is very good and there is potential for improvement. The big trouble is that game creators seem to be tired of this (not withouth reason). I think that a more flexible scenario editor would have allowed us to fix more aspects, but I still think some tweaking is possible, including the logistics question). Heavy bombers and night bombers are, from my POV the first things to be corrected.





User avatar
Bombur
Posts: 3666
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 am

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Bombur »


1- You have a map that makes the Burma Campaign far to easy for the Japanese to support overland instead of having to take Rangoon so ships could supply the rest of the effort. Bogus. 2-It also gives the Allies a free ride in supporting NW Australia overland through map errors. Bogus. 3-Bombardment TF's can successfully
enter and duel with Singapore, Manilla, Oahu, and other major Coast Defense Installations. Bogus. 4- China can be over-run in a few months (after holding out for years). Bogus. 5-A "player" can wipe out the Soviets with some "gamey" tactics.
Bogus. The list goes on....

-I think 4 and 5 could be corrected in the Editor, must know more detail. A map correction could help in a future version. I didn´t know coastal defenses were downgraded. In what version did it happen?

User avatar
Andrew Brown
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hex 82,170
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Andrew Brown »

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Let me know if you'll fix this for my "no lines" map Andrew. No hurry. Still waiting on 1.5 and the CHS to roll on a new game. Thanks.

Actually, several people besides yourself prefer the "no lines" map, so I am going to make this one the default for the "no hexes" map in my mod. The "with hexes" map will still have all of the lines as nobody has complained about them on that version of the map.
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

Image
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by bradfordkay »

Andrew, at first those lines disconcerted me, but now I realize that I can easily tell where the weather changes, so I'm getting used to them. I want you to know that I love your map, I can not bring myself to play on the original one anymore.

It looks to me like you are catching the problems on it pretty well yourself. If I see anything else, I'll be happy to let you know. My attention to certain areas of the map usually is pretty non-existent until I start performing operations in those areas.
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

2) The naval model still sucks. How? Just about everywhere and in all ways. There's no difference to the program between a port hex and a sea hex with regard to how it handles engagements--from what I can see. Just one example: I know for a fact that it's possible to raid a port with enemy ships at anchor, protected by a lone DD, and have over half one's force (all crusiers) refuse or neglect to fire a shot, and with 95% of all shots that were fired directed at that poor DD. (The excuse here is that those cruisers didn't have enough night experience, but that doesn't wash. Not in a port, with anchored targets "defended" by just one DD--oh yeah, and an ML. Sorry. No sale. And you could not tell anyone but a child that some of those cruisers "were off at another part of the hex" when we're talking about a port here--but then as I say, the program doesn't make the distinction between ports and sea hexes per se.)
ORIGINAL: Bombur

-What an horror, I didn´t know this could happen

Neither did I until it did. [:D]

Seriously (and tragically), this winds directly back to UV. Exact same model mechanic, exact same combat bullshit, exact same ridiculous result. In other words, same same.

. . . the strike cooordination rule/penalty/call it what you will is something apparently just dreamed up by someone, the CAP rules make no sense. . . .
-Tell me more about the CAP rule

Simply put, it doesn't work because it can't work.

I'll give one example, but there are many.

At Midway the USN dive bombers got through when they arrived immediatley after the Japanese CAP went down on the deck to chase (and kill) the USN torpedo bombers. The result of the Japanese CAP thus being caught out of position is well known (especially in Japan [8D]). This cannot happen in WitP with the way CAP is treated: as a single block of fighters protecting a hex against each and every successive wave of bombers which appears in it. The only "out of position" possibility is the accumulative loss of CAP from combat attrition, plus whatever fatigue its pilots pick up from one round of combat to the next. (By the way, I'm not sure I believe it even so, that these fighters are accumulating fatigue from one combat round to the next. Even if they do, there's still that giant block of CAP always ready to meet each wave of bombers and escorts. Totally unrealistic.)
The submarine/ASW stuff is ca-ca from the get-go, and don't even get me going on the Allied sub doctrine rule--how did that get in there? Yet another bad dream? A nightmare?
-Maybe it´s possible to fix the sub thing in the editor. The guys at CHS seems to be working on it

Yeah, they're working on it. I wish someone else had worked on it a long time ago.
It appears to be the case that the CD routines are still not correct, and if I'm not mistaken these units seem to have greater success at night than in the day--not sure about that, but from my limited play thus far that looks to be the case . . . which of course would not be correct. In any event one can still just plop any number of mobile CDs into some godforsaken hex, say, Lunga, and have all two gazillion of them up and working immediately! How dumb is that?
-I agree with you that CD seems to work better at night

It's just an impression of mine. I haven't collected any data and don't intend to. This one's hopeless.

They probably ought to look at the fixed implacements, though. Reports are that the big guns in the larger ports don't do much. If they don't that's sadder still.
Mines have been toned down to the point where I know for sure Japanese bombardment TFs can (and do) regularly sail into port waters with as many as (now) over 1700 (that's seventeen hundred!) mines without exploding one of them. It's also quite possible for a Japanese cruiser to hit one and sail blithely away at twenty knots or so--one just did right under my nose. Now I'd guess that's just possible in real life, but my point is mines, for whatever the rationale employed, have been rendered impotent by any reasonable standard. I'm not saying Japanese or Allied ships cannot hit mines. They can. Just not very often.
-In my Guadalcanal campaign, mines had a reasonable performance. My enemy is disembarking in Shortland and he lost lots of ships to mines. They seem to be effective vs. slow ships. How was their historical performance?

Variable. I can tell you that USN mine sweepers were known to hit mines during work hours in broad daylight! That's how dangerous those things are. They're not that dangerous in the game. Simple point. Should be a simple fix. And we probably won't see that change, either.
3) The land-combat model didn't impress me in UV; it totally disenchants me when applied to the larger areas of terra firma which exist in WitP. (Actually, I find the conflict in China to be ingrossing. I don't know much about the history of that theater, just casual reads from time to time. It does depress to discover from all accounts from players who are more experienced with this than I am in the game that the Japanese can pretty much sweep the board there, though. That alone would tell me the land-combat model isn't worth squat, though I figured that out for myself for other reasons.)
-Maybe it is possible to fix that China trouble

How?
How about logistics? I guess the problem here is: how detailed does one want to be? Well, as it drives everything else then how un-detailed can one afford to be? Detailed or no, the generic nature of "supply" certainly exacerbates (actually outright allows) abuses in all other areas, such as bombardment TFs getting resupplied so easily, for instance, and B-17s ruling everything within their flight radius, for instance2, etc.
-Correct, the generic nature of supply is a trouble. Furthermore, I see a pass backward in relation to the old PacWar. In that game, replacements were only sent to LCU´s, LBA sqadrons when a ship disembarked supplies. Now, if you stock enough supplies in a given Island, you can go on receiving replacements even if you´re completely isolated. Seems pretty unrealistic to me. Maybe WiTP have some robt soldiers that are activated when necessary? I also cannot understand why aircraft don´t use fuel instead of supplies?????

It would make more sense if both airplanes and ships required both fuel and supplies. But even if they changed that, in the larger sense nothing would have been fixed. This is a huge problem, and no way Jose does it get fixed by Wood. Gary wouldn't appproach it with a ten-foot pole, as he's said to be burned out on what he's accomplished so far, and so for all I can see that only leaves some third-party programmer, down the road someplace sometime if the source code is ever one day released and if this guy gets it right himself and if I should live so long. I'm not holding my breath.
Re Japanese supply: I don't know this for a fact, that's merely what I've read, but from so many players who do seem to have their acts together that I'm sure it's true. Just for example, wherever you find resources you find supplies being generated. What's that? What is the point of having "resources" in the first place if they do not need to be first transported to "factories" in order to be of any use?
-But resources must be transported in the game, I´m missing something?

I'm talking about the supply produced in those hexes in the middle of nowhere.
Also, from a study of the IJN OOB it would seem as if all Japanese shipping might be dedicated to the needs of the military, with no thought at all having to import large amounts of food and other things in order to keep the civilians not just happy but alive! If that's not right, please correct me, but that's what it looks like to me. Someone will say, "But yes, the Americans don't have to be "fed" either." Well yes, but for a good reason. America was self-suffiicient except for luxury items, which were in short supply during the war but hardly affected the issue in any critical sense. Meanwhile, Japan was anything but self-sufficient. Japan needed to import all sorts of basic stuff. Like even rice.
-The logistics model is too abstract to include that food stuff. It would be very complex to include a separate food resource in the game.

There's no special need to include a separate logistics model for civilians. This can be handled mainly with the editor. Estimates need to be drawn on just how much shipping Japan should be restricted to, and the "magical" supply production needs to be curtailed. It is currently produced 1:1 and someone suggested earlier a reduction there of 1:4 might work. I'd rather suggest 1:100 or something like that.
What do you think? I'd like to hear your ideas.
-Most of my experience was with small scenario. I´m still studying the game, but I have the strange impression that some aspects worsened in relation to UV and, to some extent, Pacwar (there were much more restriction to heavies in Pacwar, because you couldn´t build a size 9 airfield unless max allowed was 9, no airfields bigger than allowed size-and a 4 size AF could operate only 4 squadrons and so on). On the other hand, the game is very good and there is potential for improvement. The big trouble is that game creators seem to be tired of this (not withouth reason). I think that a more flexible scenario editor would have allowed us to fix more aspects, but I still think some tweaking is possible, including the logistics question). Heavy bombers and night bombers are, from my POV the first things to be corrected.

It would have been best to 1) hard code areas of the simulation where "options" might reasonably exist as little as possible and 2) then leave it up third-party developers to make what changes they want with 3) a more powerful/intuitive editor. And maybe the editor as is is just fine, though I didn't find the one for UV to be especially easy to work with, and the editor for WitP appears to be about the same, though I haven't used it myself yet.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Halsey »

Thanks Andrew. The no lines map is easier on my old MKI eyeballs.[:D]

If I need to see hexes, F6 is there.[;)]
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger
ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

I would agree with you up to a point. Burma's unique geography SHOULD favor whichever side controls and can make use of RANGOON. This was as true for the Japanese as for the Allies. But the game provides the Japanese with Road and Rail
connections to Burma (depending on what map you use), while the Allies must use several hexes of Trails from their side.
My point is that Burma's LAND communications with ALL her neighbors were poor. The maps only make this true for the Allies. It needs to be fixed.

It would be foolish for the Jap to not take Rangoon. All of Burmas oil goes there. Its the only place you can ship it out of, so why not take it? You have to run tanker convoys in anyway, so why not supplies as well? I guess I dont understand why you would be upset about Japan not taking Rangoon. As the allies, I would welcome it.

HUGGER. Is English your first language? I didn't say a darned thing about the Japanese not taking Rangoon.
I said "the situation in Burma should favor whichever side controls and can make use of Rangoon". The point was
that the overland connections in any direction SHOULD make drawing supply by road/trail difficult, and that giving
the Japanese side a Railroad that wasn't there made the Burma campaign too easy for them to supply WITHOUT
using Rangoon.
User avatar
Tanaka
Posts: 5381
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:42 am
Location: USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
ORIGINAL: Halsey

Let me know if you'll fix this for my "no lines" map Andrew. No hurry. Still waiting on 1.5 and the CHS to roll on a new game. Thanks.

Actually, several people besides yourself prefer the "no lines" map, so I am going to make this one the default for the "no hexes" map in my mod. The "with hexes" map will still have all of the lines as nobody has complained about them on that version of the map.

great! i prefer a clear map as well....

keep up the great work andrew! love the new changes for 1.3! [:D][&o]
Image

Check out my mod for Strategic Command American Civil War!

https://forums.matrixgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=413785
User avatar
Zeta16
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:35 am
Location: Columbus. Ohio

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Zeta16 »

Another way to blance things is to put a bigger penality on airfield over crowding. Say if is a size 9 which has a maz of 450, is that maybe it could over flow to 500, not 700 or 800, or say a size five base which has a max of 250, say up to 300 and that is all. This would limit the amount of planes that could be in combat. It would force the player have more bases to support a lot of planes. The penalities that are in now don't seem to make much of a difference. Where there many bases in this theater that had 700 or 800 planes at them.
"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan
User avatar
Bombur
Posts: 3666
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 am

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Bombur »


I'll give one example, but there are many.

At Midway the USN dive bombers got through when they arrived immediatley after the Japanese CAP went down on the deck to chase (and kill) the USN torpedo bombers. The result of the Japanese CAP thus being caught out of position is well known (especially in Japan [8D]). This cannot happen in WitP with the way CAP is treated: as a single block of fighters protecting a hex against each and every successive wave of bombers which appears in it. The only "out of position" possibility is the accumulative loss of CAP from combat attrition, plus whatever fatigue its pilots pick up from one round of combat to the next. (By the way, I'm not sure I believe it even so, that these fighters are accumulating fatigue from one combat round to the next. Even if they do, there's still that giant block of CAP always ready to meet each wave of bombers and escorts. Totally unrealistic.)

-You´re correct, althought the USN was pretty good in creating a super CAP in the Marianas. There should be a heavy penalty for fighters facing sucessive waves of bombers. I think this was better modelled in UV (also because the fatigue model made very risky CAP over 60%)


]
Variable. I can tell you that USN mine sweepers were known to hit mines during work hours in broad daylight! That's how dangerous those things are. They're not that dangerous in the game. Simple point. Should be a simple fix. And we probably won't see that change, either.

-Well, we can increase accuracy of these devices in the editor


How?

-Improving the effectiveness of Chinese units. Must to think about this.


It would have been best to 1) hard code areas of the simulation where "options" might reasonably exist as little as possible and 2) then leave it up third-party developers to make what changes they want with 3) a more powerful/intuitive editor. And maybe the editor as is is just fine, though I didn't find the one for UV to be especially easy to work with, and the editor for WitP appears to be about the same, though I haven't used it myself yet.

-Version 0.50 of my Guadalcanal mod is ready. It seems the night bombing and heavy bomber stuff are fixed. Created some logistical troubles for level bombers by decreasing max AF size (3 and 6) and starting size. Decreased a lot the durability of Betties and Nells (must see if I still need to decrease topedo accuracy). Are you interested in taking a look in the file? Maybe you could suggest more changes.
User avatar
Tristanjohn
Posts: 3027
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
Location: Daly City CA USA
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Tristanjohn »

Tristanjohn
I'll give one example, but there are many.

At Midway the USN dive bombers got through when they arrived immediatley after the Japanese CAP went down on the deck to chase (and kill) the USN torpedo bombers. The result of the Japanese CAP thus being caught out of position is well known (especially in Japan [8D]). This cannot happen in WitP with the way CAP is treated: as a single block of fighters protecting a hex against each and every successive wave of bombers which appears in it. The only "out of position" possibility is the accumulative loss of CAP from combat attrition, plus whatever fatigue its pilots pick up from one round of combat to the next. (By the way, I'm not sure I believe it even so, that these fighters are accumulating fatigue from one combat round to the next. Even if they do, there's still that giant block of CAP always ready to meet each wave of bombers and escorts. Totally unrealistic.)
Bombur

-You´re correct, althought the USN was pretty good in creating a super CAP in the Marianas. There should be a heavy penalty for fighters facing sucessive waves of bombers. I think this was better modelled in UV (also because the fatigue model made very risky CAP over 60%)

During the Mariana Islands action there were just too many American pilots in the sky flying superior equipment, plus they had the further advantages of better training and more experience in the main. A like example would be to send the three or four British carriers early in the game up against KB. It wouldn't be an even fight.
Tristanjohn
Variable. I can tell you that USN mine sweepers were known to hit mines during work hours in broad daylight! That's how dangerous those things are. They're not that dangerous in the game. Simple point. Should be a simple fix. And we probably won't see that change, either.
-Well, we can increase accuracy of these devices in the editor

I didn't know that's how it was handled. As I say I haven't looked at the WitP editor much, or for that matter the one for UV, either. (They're just about the same, aren't they?)
Tristanjohn
How?
Bombur

-Improving the effectiveness of Chinese units. Must to think about this.

Probably more difficult than that, but maybe not.
Tristanjohn
It would have been best to 1) hard code areas of the simulation where "options" might reasonably exist as little as possible and 2) then leave it up third-party developers to make what changes they want with 3) a more powerful/intuitive editor. And maybe the editor as is is just fine, though I didn't find the one for UV to be especially easy to work with, and the editor for WitP appears to be about the same, though I haven't used it myself yet.
-Version 0.50 of my Guadalcanal mod is ready. It seems the night bombing and heavy bomber stuff are fixed. Created some logistical troubles for level bombers by decreasing max AF size (3 and 6) and starting size. Decreased a lot the durability of Betties and Nells (must see if I still need to decrease topedo accuracy). Are you interested in taking a look in the file? Maybe you could suggest more changes.

Send it along if you like. I'll look at it when I get a chance.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
herwin
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by herwin »

Many, many years ago, I did a statistical study of the hit probability of 4e level bombers against ships in WWII data. It was about 3% per bomb dropped.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: AmiralLaurent

Bombers flying in realistic numbers have realistic results in WITP.
The whole problem is the hordes of B-17E that are in the game and that were never used in Pacific in real life. Some hundreds of B-17 were deployed there during the whole war, that is about the size of the starting units in WITP and the number an Allied player will receive in two months.


EXACTLY! The designers "screwed the pooch" on a lot of A/C availabilities and arrivals---this one stands out because of the potential for abuse..., but we also have hundreds too many Tony's (for example) showing up 6 months too early. The CORRECTION for all these problems is to get the REAL production numbers to Joe and Don and insist that they correct 2by3's original failures in this regard.
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Nikademus »

Zombie thread......
why not you stay dead....
put this puppy to bed.....
I'd rather start new thread.....
Talk about why Terminus no longer dread......
posting mirth instead of lead....

User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12856
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Sardaukar »

Well, scenario designers can easily correct the availability dates, numbers and production of heavy bombers. At least somewhat...
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
Nemo121
Posts: 5838
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 am
Contact:

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Nemo121 »

Scholl is, again, correct. The solution to any point instance of error is NOT to demand that point error be fixed but to demand that all significant errors be fixed irrespective of which side it benefits or hampers.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Idea how to finally balance the bombers (Allied and Japanese) in WitP...

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Well, scenario designers can easily correct the availability dates, numbers and production of heavy bombers. At least somewhat...


Ron. It's NOT just heavy bombers. The Japs didn't produce a single Kate during the first 7 months of the War (they had shut down the production lines to too up for Judy's). Take a look at the Matrix "version". The first Tony's reached combat units in the Spring of 1943, not Sept. of 1942. The whole A/C availability system is messed up (and only compounded because the Japanese side has the ability to "tinker" with production). Don't grab for "half a FIX"..., let's hollar to get it ALL right!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”