Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Dear Thread....drunken rodents in my AAR......whatever next.........
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

[:D]

Edit: At least they're not drunken naked rodents.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

It's an infestation![:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Time to call the exterminator............
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

Hey, not so fast. They are hardened Allies with penguins.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Just kidding Mike......Penguins have great respect for our lightsaber wielding friends.........except ...perhaps....when they drink Bud........
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Mike Solli »

[:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Dino
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: Serbia

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Dino »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

Dear Thread....drunken rodents in my AAR......whatever next.........

Come now...Nik's not drunk...he's just confused...

BTW, great looking kids...fraternal, I suppose...
Image
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Thanks Dino.....

Jan. 11th 1944........

New Mexico is tagged by 2 torps off Wake.........listing...but not badly damaged..........in return I lost 2 more I-boats......not many left.........

Speedy's Wake forces move off to re-arm....so 3-supply Tfs are moving full speed....to Wake.......Thread help us.......


Moulmein fell.....so the cat is truely among the pigeons........the trouble is ...I think more to the North ...but we shall see....

SAG 1 and 4 have been spotted....but are going in....should hit next turn......but he will move out his carriers......

Also the last of my exp. airgroups will try there luck under the new CAP rules.......they'll be dead soon........

The next turn will be big.....and I expect painful..............let's hope I can share the pain.....

About Moulmein........I must say ...WELL PLAYED SPEEDY...........


And now a small thanks to tabpub...........in picture form......

Image
Attachments
tabpud.jpg
tabpud.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 347 times
User avatar
tabpub
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:32 am
Location: The Greater Chicagoland Area

RE: Ouch.........

Post by tabpub »

And now a small thanks to tabpub...........in picture form......

Mmmm, a picture...thanks, but I prefer cash....or fish in your case....salmon though, not sardines. Looks like you killed more on the ground than you had been in the air though; now you have to keep up the side for a while.
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Jan. 12 1944........

In went my next batch of sacrificial penguins....and they died bravely for the cause........another 200+ aircraft lost attacking the Brit. carriers......If anything more CAP flew today.........I had one Tony sqdrn (exp. 68) which lost every plane and every pilot.......

That's now 700 planes in 3 days......Speedy has lost less than 50

My Sally's attacked Akyab again but speedy had brought in some Spits....to cover the airfield.......I lost about 12 planes....and now will withdraw the sqdrns ....as moral has dropped below functional levels........

For those of you looking forward to a surface action.....and I know I love them......I'm afraid you'll have to be disappointed........SAG 1 and 4 are withdrawing full speed they should have attacked last turn but they didn't move one single inch.........and with the Brit carriers only 3 hexes away(I was lucky to be under cloud cover this turn) I couldn't afford to chance abother no show.....besides with his transports heading home and 6 RN battleships lying in wait........his carriers could of picked off any cripples at will.....and I was in danger of losing both SAGs in there entirety..........

A frustrating few days these.......
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: Ouch.........

Post by niceguy2005 »

I suppose they will now have to rename it from the great turkey shoot to the great penguin shoot.

*Salutes brave penguins.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

My troops have taken the fact that we are 'flightless birds' ......very literally.............
User avatar
Capt. Harlock
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: fabertong


For those of you looking forward to a surface action.....and I know I love them......I'm afraid you'll have to be disappointed........SAG 1 and 4 are withdrawing full speed they should have attacked last turn but they didn't move one single inch.........and with the Brit carriers only 3 hexes away(I was lucky to be under cloud cover this turn) I couldn't afford to chance abother no show.....besides with his transports heading home and 6 RN battleships lying in wait........his carriers could of picked off any cripples at will.....and I was in danger of losing both SAGs in there entirety..........

A frustrating few days these.......

I'm one of those who love surface actions, but I have to agree with your decision. His pilot experience levels must be unbelievable by now (or else air combat in '44 is hard-wired to give the advantage to the Allies). My sympathies. . .
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Jan 13-15..........

Speedy's troops at Moul.....stay put....and I am able to stabalise the front...with 1,400 av about the river and 1,000 av at Tavoy....another 1,000 on the way in the next 10 turns......and another 1,000 coming from the DEI's........

So I think I may pose Speedy a question or two....there is no doubt he can hold Moul......and bomb the living wahoo....out of everywhere from Bangkok to Mandalay........but to break out he will have to turn his back on one or the other of my armies..........not quite between a rock and a hard place.....but between two pebbles......both annoying.......

I doubt he has more than 2,500 av at Moul....not enough to push my troops.....and still hold his point of supply.....Interesting........I wonder if his large amount of armour can force the issue......

....and with big reinforcements in the next 30 days........I may just survive a little while longer on this front........

His fleet is back at Wake before I've had a chance to run in my supply convoys........alas..........they will hold a few turns out of Wake ...until I see if his carriers are heading past Wake again.........

AAGs 1-2 are returning to Guam..........

Sag - 2 hit Timor again....and one of my destroyers hit my own mine..........badly damaged and now laid up at Kendari.....which is under the threat of the developing allied air power..........
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Ouch.........

Post by DuckofTindalos »

<whispers into faber's feathered head as he sleeps> Anzio... Anzio... Anzio...

[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Oooooooohhhhh.......I like the sound of that..............
User avatar
Capt. Harlock
Posts: 5379
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

RE: Ouch.........

Post by Capt. Harlock »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

Oooooooohhhhh.......I like the sound of that..............

I would think that Speedy would like it even better. IIRC the Allies eventually broke out of Anzio and took Rome.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: Ouch.........

Post by fabertong »

Hi Capt.........I can't remember....I know the allies got bogged down at Anzio...and the invasion was considered a failure......they may well have broke out at some later date............?.......I'll look it up....

Jan. 16th 1944........

Sloppy.....Sloppy ....Sloppy.......penguin.......

Some of my troops to the north of Moul..........shock attacked across the river......wrecking 2 divs and an End. reg......all becuase the initial destination was Moul........and I had forgot the stop them north of the river........SLOPPY......

I lost nigh on 9,000 men.....one of the Divs is now down to 9 AV!!!!!........SLOPPY.....esp. considering I had managed to salvage this front........

Speedy may now counter attack across the river.......I should still hold.......but It will be a close call.......SLOPPY

I haven't admited my mistake in my e-mail back.....but am hoping to bluster my way through....and make him hesitate...while I withdraw these units..........but any chance of counter attack by me will have been set back by at least 3 months......and he may still break out to the north.........I've shut the door to the south......

AAG - 3 is 2 days out of Java.......(Kaga, Hiyo, 1 CVL......escorts).........He is not using carrier support for Timor.....so I might nose around the next time I see ships.........

Wake still under heavy bombardment.........

Sloppy ....Sloppy .....penguin...........
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Ouch.........

Post by witpqs »

Anzio. I forget the dates involved. The Allies landed with great surprise. They could have cut right across the peninsula and cut off the German formations below. Probably walked right into Rome also. Instead the general in charge consolidated the position. Gave the Germans time to react. Wound up stuck in the perimeter until a later break out. Considered a failure because the destabilizing of the front was its objective. Victory was in the jaws and snatched away by the winds of over-caution.

Don't blame yourself about the Moulmein attack. It was a common failing in the IJA that lower level commanders decided on the most outright aggressive plans on their own. Superior officers were often prevented from interfering by political concerns. That's obviously what happended to your senior command staff.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”