Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Ouch.........
OF COURSE......witpqs.....my staff....the dunderheads..........I gave them explicit orders.......and they blatently disregarded them..........heads will roll, I assure you.............
Jan 17th 1944...........
Speedy del. attacked and drove back my waifs and strays across the river......1 Div down to no AV........my staff will pay........
1st Para arrived at Saigon..........
and another Div...landed at Singapore.......
Wake has taken on a 12 degree list as the bombing continues......I hope she doesn't sink........down to 1000 supply.......
Speedy has taken to Bombardment runs on Tavoy..........will try to meet him there if his carriers stay at Moulmain...and don't venture further south............
Jan 17th 1944...........
Speedy del. attacked and drove back my waifs and strays across the river......1 Div down to no AV........my staff will pay........
1st Para arrived at Saigon..........
and another Div...landed at Singapore.......
Wake has taken on a 12 degree list as the bombing continues......I hope she doesn't sink........down to 1000 supply.......
Speedy has taken to Bombardment runs on Tavoy..........will try to meet him there if his carriers stay at Moulmain...and don't venture further south............
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 18th-19th 1944..........
The burma front seems to have stabilised......
I've lost 2 more AOs to Speedy's subs.....I'm losing this war one or two tankers at a time....and my lack of ability to move oil is starting to hamper all of my actions...
Speedy has a TF moving 6 hexes away from PM....has he spotted my slow withdraw'l from this theatre?.........9 ships including a BB moving towards Morsby have been spotted....but this could be FOW........I have moved all fighters out of PM in case it's a bombardment attack and have stacked Lae and Buna with Judy's and Betty's and Grace's......we'll see........if he lands there is now only 200 AV standing in his way.........
Wake still sinking as 400 more allied aircraft continue to hit it daily.....
Speedy has landed at Koepang..........it looks like he has lost an AK or 2 to the minefields....and Tanaka and SAG-2 will hit tonight.......
AAG - 3 is moving to the west of Koepang....2 days out...and unspotted......I wonder what she may find?........
The burma front seems to have stabilised......
I've lost 2 more AOs to Speedy's subs.....I'm losing this war one or two tankers at a time....and my lack of ability to move oil is starting to hamper all of my actions...
Speedy has a TF moving 6 hexes away from PM....has he spotted my slow withdraw'l from this theatre?.........9 ships including a BB moving towards Morsby have been spotted....but this could be FOW........I have moved all fighters out of PM in case it's a bombardment attack and have stacked Lae and Buna with Judy's and Betty's and Grace's......we'll see........if he lands there is now only 200 AV standing in his way.........
Wake still sinking as 400 more allied aircraft continue to hit it daily.....
Speedy has landed at Koepang..........it looks like he has lost an AK or 2 to the minefields....and Tanaka and SAG-2 will hit tonight.......
AAG - 3 is moving to the west of Koepang....2 days out...and unspotted......I wonder what she may find?........
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 20th 1944..............
Tanaka stuck his nose into Koepang today and found the cupboard bare.......but AAG -3 caught Speedy's transports on the move away from Timor...sinking 2 AKs and damaging a DD and a couple more AKs........all units retiring to the north............
Burma.....I feel hasn't stabilised as much as I would like......supply has become a problem almost immediately........so over 150,000 supply is leaving the HIs for Saigon....the closest safe port........
He also has forces moving on Pagan....I have no idea what they are........at Pagan...I have a IJA BF and 1 Inf. Div.......
The Div and Eng Reg......which have been decimated by my earlier mistake will move to Rangoon to see if they will rebuild.......if not I'll have to move them to Bankok.....
With 1,500 av now both above and below Moulmein........I should feel better.........but the supply problem may yet prove the death of me..........
In 20 days I recieve 3 Divs for Burma.............it may be too late.......
The TF moving on PM was indeed FOW...and has moved off toward Darwin....more forces for his thrust into my soft underbelly.......Timor and Beyond........
1944 is only 20 days old....and I must say it is nothing, if not exciting......and I mean that in a sick to the stomach kind of way.......
Tanaka stuck his nose into Koepang today and found the cupboard bare.......but AAG -3 caught Speedy's transports on the move away from Timor...sinking 2 AKs and damaging a DD and a couple more AKs........all units retiring to the north............
Burma.....I feel hasn't stabilised as much as I would like......supply has become a problem almost immediately........so over 150,000 supply is leaving the HIs for Saigon....the closest safe port........
He also has forces moving on Pagan....I have no idea what they are........at Pagan...I have a IJA BF and 1 Inf. Div.......
The Div and Eng Reg......which have been decimated by my earlier mistake will move to Rangoon to see if they will rebuild.......if not I'll have to move them to Bankok.....
With 1,500 av now both above and below Moulmein........I should feel better.........but the supply problem may yet prove the death of me..........
In 20 days I recieve 3 Divs for Burma.............it may be too late.......
The TF moving on PM was indeed FOW...and has moved off toward Darwin....more forces for his thrust into my soft underbelly.......Timor and Beyond........
1944 is only 20 days old....and I must say it is nothing, if not exciting......and I mean that in a sick to the stomach kind of way.......
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Once you lose Mandalay....then Burma will fall like a pack of cards.......I feel I must try and hold there.......and at least make sure his invasion force gets no further than the beaches.........this could get very messy.......esp. if he has transfered any troops from US West Coast.........
By transfering from the West Coast you mean around Oz and up? Or is there another way I've never seen?
"Never take counsel of your fears."
Tho. Jackson
Tho. Jackson
RE: Ouch.........
Fabertong,
May I take this opportunity to compliment you on your writing style and "sang froid" (rather appropriate I think for a penguin) attitude to "materiel" loses and future prospects. Really, if one cannot laugh in the face of such adversity, then what would be the point of continuing. BTW, is your sinking Wake Island the Pacific equivalent of Helgoland at the hands of the British?
I wait with eager anticipation the next instalment.
Alfred
May I take this opportunity to compliment you on your writing style and "sang froid" (rather appropriate I think for a penguin) attitude to "materiel" loses and future prospects. Really, if one cannot laugh in the face of such adversity, then what would be the point of continuing. BTW, is your sinking Wake Island the Pacific equivalent of Helgoland at the hands of the British?
I wait with eager anticipation the next instalment.
Alfred
RE: Ouch.........
There is indeed another way.......you can transfer untits from SF to Karachi.........by paying the political points, and changing there HQ to SEAC.........the next turn the unit disappears from SF ...and 60 days later lands at Karachi........via the cape.........ORIGINAL: AU Tiger
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Once you lose Mandalay....then Burma will fall like a pack of cards.......I feel I must try and hold there.......and at least make sure his invasion force gets no further than the beaches.........this could get very messy.......esp. if he has transfered any troops from US West Coast.........
By transfering from the West Coast you mean around Oz and up? Or is there another way I've never seen?
RE: Ouch.........
Thanks Alfred........I have to laugh....as adversity is all I have.......ORIGINAL: Alfred
Fabertong,
May I take this opportunity to compliment you on your writing style and "sang froid" (rather appropriate I think for a penguin) attitude to "materiel" loses and future prospects. Really, if one cannot laugh in the face of such adversity, then what would be the point of continuing. BTW, is your sinking Wake Island the Pacific equivalent of Helgoland at the hands of the British?
I wait with eager anticipation the next instalment.
Alfred
Jan. 21st 1944.......
One of my MLs was hit off Java by two torps.......and rolled over and sank......taking all hands.............
Burma....the worry now that I have bottled up his invasion is twofold.....
First......Supply....the situation keeps getting worse.....will have see if all the supply coming into Saigon makes a difference.........
Second........having commited my reserve......I have no reserve.......my plan here is to free up all the units north of the river.....by moving all my units at Tavoy and engage the enemy at Moulmein.......I can't take it....but at least I can stop him holding both my forces in place..........once the Div. heading north from Singers......reaches Tavoy I'll move north with 2000 AV.....which should be enough to hold him in place........freeing the forces north of the river....some 1,400 av as theatre reserve........
By then I'll know if my supply situation is terminal......and I'll have to withdraw........If not I can send some of the worse affected troops to Saigon to rebuild........most of the worse hit units are at Rangoon...with the Burma HQ....looking for supply........
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: fabertong
By transfering from the West Coast you mean around Oz and up? Or is there another way I've never seen?
Ahhhhh. Those cryptic references to teleportation now come clear. Perhaps I should have read the manual a little more carefully.
As long as I am asking stupid questions, what does the acronym IMO mean? I have worked out most of the others, but that one has me stumped.
"Never take counsel of your fears."
Tho. Jackson
Tho. Jackson
RE: Ouch.........
In
My
Opinion
My
Opinion
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
You would think I would have determined that from contextual clues. But I didn't.
Doh!
Doh!
"Never take counsel of your fears."
Tho. Jackson
Tho. Jackson
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Ouch.........
That's ok. I still don't know what AFAIK means.ORIGINAL: AU Tiger
You would think I would have determined that from contextual clues. But I didn't.
Doh!

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
I'm stumped by EIEIO..........
- Graycompany
- Posts: 511
- Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:32 am
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
That's ok. I still don't know what AFAIK means.ORIGINAL: AU Tiger
You would think I would have determined that from contextual clues. But I didn't.
Doh!
I think that is a lost French command HQ assigned to North Africa
I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...


- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Oooooooohhhhh.......I like the sound of that..............
I would think that Speedy would like it even better. IIRC the Allies eventually broke out of Anzio and took Rome.
Anzio was called the largest self-sustaining POW camp in the world.
Created by the amazing Dixie
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
That wasn't the Crimea in 1944?[:D]
Seriously, Anzio was a severely flawed concept, championed by Churchill, and had a huuuuuuuge risk of failure. That the landing wasn't destroyed is a testament to the fighting ability of the individual Allied soldier.
Seriously, Anzio was a severely flawed concept, championed by Churchill, and had a huuuuuuuge risk of failure. That the landing wasn't destroyed is a testament to the fighting ability of the individual Allied soldier.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: Terminus
That wasn't the Crimea in 1944?[:D]
Seriously, Anzio was a severely flawed concept, championed by Churchill, and had a huuuuuuuge risk of failure. That the landing wasn't destroyed is a testament to the fighting ability of the individual Allied soldier.
You would think Churchill would have learned his lesson after championing the Gallipoli campaign.
"Never take counsel of your fears."
Tho. Jackson
Tho. Jackson
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
That's ok. I still don't know what AFAIK means.
As Far As I Know. (IIRC means If I Recall Corectly, nearly the same thing.)
Let me take this opportunity to salute both Faber and Speedy for what is currently the best pair of AAR's on the forum. Really involving stuff, guys.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: AU Tiger
ORIGINAL: Terminus
That wasn't the Crimea in 1944?[:D]
Seriously, Anzio was a severely flawed concept, championed by Churchill, and had a huuuuuuuge risk of failure. That the landing wasn't destroyed is a testament to the fighting ability of the individual Allied soldier.
You would think Churchill would have learned his lesson after championing the Gallipoli campaign.
Nope, he never learned that lesson. That's the problem when you think you're The Man of Destiny...[8|]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Ouch.........
Jan. 22nd 1944........
One of Speedy's subs hit the Ryujo with a torp today.....and glory be.......it failed to detonate.....brought back the good old days of the early war period.....this was short lived as he then put three fish into an AP.....and more into an AK........
Other than that it was a quiet turn with Speedy running bombing attacks across the map.....with a total of about 2,000 bombers.....or somewhere near that.........any way I lost count.....
Zui and Sho ........are heading back to the HI for the early '44 upgrades.......I think I'll have time...while Speedy finishes off Wake........
One of Speedy's subs hit the Ryujo with a torp today.....and glory be.......it failed to detonate.....brought back the good old days of the early war period.....this was short lived as he then put three fish into an AP.....and more into an AK........
Other than that it was a quiet turn with Speedy running bombing attacks across the map.....with a total of about 2,000 bombers.....or somewhere near that.........any way I lost count.....
Zui and Sho ........are heading back to the HI for the early '44 upgrades.......I think I'll have time...while Speedy finishes off Wake........
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark






