Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Ouch.........
I'm assuming his invasion force will be equipt with scuba gear............the only trouble is that the seebees......will have rebuilt Wake....and added a range of hills/waterfalls/paradise type things.....in about 10 minutes.....Oh, they may also build an airfield.............
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
So it's going to be a resort he'll be constructing, to make money for his war effort? Clever Engländer...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Ouch.........
I think his plan is to make Wake the Las Vegas of the Pacific.......what with all those servicemen passing through..........
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Ouch.........
I suspect he'll now have a use for all those comfort bns he captures in his travels.
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
Those are the only units I evac........the rest fight to the death...........
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Ouch.........
Speedy.....hence me haunting the forums............
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 23rd 1944.........
Wake Island fell today...........7 months after Speedy's first invasion..........
After weeks on nonstop bombing/bombardment.......88,000 U.S. and allied forces landed and drove the defenders back into the last bunkers where they will fight to the last.......
At least 6 allied ships...mostly AKs hit mines on the way in.....but with the coastal guns effectively suppressed...there was none of the wholesale slaughter that accompanied the first invasion.........
Speed also tried his luck at Mandalay.......but only succeded in losing 10,000 men to my 1,500.......but Burma is still very unstable with units moving around to find what supply they can...........

Wake Island fell today...........7 months after Speedy's first invasion..........
After weeks on nonstop bombing/bombardment.......88,000 U.S. and allied forces landed and drove the defenders back into the last bunkers where they will fight to the last.......
At least 6 allied ships...mostly AKs hit mines on the way in.....but with the coastal guns effectively suppressed...there was none of the wholesale slaughter that accompanied the first invasion.........
Speed also tried his luck at Mandalay.......but only succeded in losing 10,000 men to my 1,500.......but Burma is still very unstable with units moving around to find what supply they can...........

- Attachments
-
- wakedsdsd.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 273 times
RE: Ouch.........
Now that Wake has fallen..........is a good time to reflect on the true cost/value.......of the first battle for Wake.........
In the defence of Wake last July.....I lost Hiryu, Soryu, Musashi, Nagato.......3 CA and a selection of smaller craft......
Speedy lost 3 BBs and a host of little ships..........
What I gained was 7 months(almost)..........I know feel more than ever that the fight for Wake in July '43........was (for once) a correct command decision........In these dark days of '44.....why it almost looks like a Victory..............
In the defence of Wake last July.....I lost Hiryu, Soryu, Musashi, Nagato.......3 CA and a selection of smaller craft......
Speedy lost 3 BBs and a host of little ships..........
What I gained was 7 months(almost)..........I know feel more than ever that the fight for Wake in July '43........was (for once) a correct command decision........In these dark days of '44.....why it almost looks like a Victory..............
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16728
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Ouch.........
I agree with your assessment, Faber. There comes a time when your CVs are no longer effective weapons. I think that time has come. If Wake had fallen 6 months earlier, I'd say you were in deep trouble. You still have most of your outer defensive perimeter intact. Speedy is going to need some time to rebuild for the next invasion. You still have a significant portion of the Combined Fleet as well as a sizeable air force to contest the next invasion. You have interlocking airfields that Speedy will have a hard time neutralizing. I'd say you're in a pretty good situation, relatively speaking. [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Ouch.........
Just looking at the combat report--- it seams that you have chewed up a few divisions. From this point forward, Speedy will try to use over whelming force. So it will be an island at a time. How are your defenses at Saipan etc.
Very Proud Marine Dad
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
Fall of Wake
A valiant fight, at least -- and I think you are correct about the initial defense of Wake. You can't hold Speedy off forever, but you can buy lots of time, both at Wake and further on. Incidentally, you're posting faster than Speedy at least: he hasn't told us yet about his side of Wake and Mandalay.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
RE: Ouch.........
ORIGINAL: AdmNelson
Just looking at the combat report--- it seams that you have chewed up a few divisions. From this point forward, Speedy will try to use over whelming force. So it will be an island at a time. How are your defenses at Saipan etc.
Lew,
The time I've bought has allowed me to add to my Marianas defence..........Guam/Tinian/Saipan all have 500 av....coastal guns......arty.......and at least 1000 mines........Pagan.....300 av/CD/1000mines.....Marcus.....350 av/CD/1500 mines....all fort lvl 9........
I think he will go for Einwetok next to support his flank...before moving on the Marianas.....it might be tempting for him to go for Marcus...and on to Iwo Jima..........but I don't think that is his style.....his supply lines would be wide open......and allow me a chance to hurt his troops as they move in....also if he takes Marcus....that should activate Kamikazis......which he should avoid for as long as it doesn't interfere with his overall plan.......
His most dangerous attack for me....I think is at Timor........If he has enough troops his LRB and lightnings could force a path to Southern Java...in 3 months or so.........at least closing by airpower everything but maybe Batavia and Palambang.......and his Burma attack...could start making inroads there......that is why I thought he would go for Sebang....to choke me to death in oil and supply terms.........but Speedy has bigger plans in Burma.......so we will see...........
Capt.
Steven I think is out enjoying RL tonight...for I have, as yet, no turn.............his attack at Mandalay is to be expected......in fact I think he will chip away every 5 turns or so......as now....for the first time he outnumbers the troops I have there .....as I try to stabilise the Burma front........
RE: Ouch.........
Jan 24th.....1944.........
Ran the turn late last night........so I can't quite remember what happened..........
What I do remember is that Speedy's Brit carriers have moved to a position between Sebang and Georgetown........and there is absolutly nothing I can do about it.........in fact all shipping from Singapore is being Evac'd........
The problem for me now....is that until he triggers Kami's......I have nothing that can hurt him........this having been proven by me losing 10 Betty sqdrns.....and 16 fighter sqdrns....in 3 days attacking his Brit C's.....not even his death star..........
Nowhere to run.......Nowhere to hide.......
Ran the turn late last night........so I can't quite remember what happened..........
What I do remember is that Speedy's Brit carriers have moved to a position between Sebang and Georgetown........and there is absolutly nothing I can do about it.........in fact all shipping from Singapore is being Evac'd........
The problem for me now....is that until he triggers Kami's......I have nothing that can hurt him........this having been proven by me losing 10 Betty sqdrns.....and 16 fighter sqdrns....in 3 days attacking his Brit C's.....not even his death star..........
Nowhere to run.......Nowhere to hide.......
RE: Ouch.........
Why do you think your Kamikaizes will be able to break through Allied cap in 44?
Looking at PZB's thread....they wont.
Looking at PZB's thread....they wont.

RE: Ouch.........
Hi Littlejoe.............I know I'm clutching at straws.........I have read Pzb....and he has limited success with his Kamis.......but having just traded 700 aircraft for one hit on an AK.......I'm hoping that with the Kami's I'll get at least 1 hit in a hundred....which will be a seven fold increase..........but maybe that is just a pipe dream......anyway...there is always Godzilla.......
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
Don't think Marcus triggers Kamikazes, Brother Penguin. Too far away...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Ouch.........
I thought it was 15 hexes traced by sea from Tokyo..........which triggers.........or I miscounted.......which with flippers is a distinct possability.............
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
It IS 15, but I'm not sure Marcus is within 15... Iwo and Bonin are, but not Marcus, methinks...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Ouch.........
Doh.....back to the abicus.............




