Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Ouch.........
March 13-16th 1944.........
Akagi has upgraded and is awaiting the fleet reorg. after the arrival of Katsuragi in 10 days.......
The non stop bombarding of Rangoon....makes me think Speedy is trying to find another way of flanking Mandalay...will he invade Rangoon?....he can cover with LBA........ all I have there is 1 Div. 1Eng. and the Burma HQ....all trying to rebuild.......as all other forces are now commited..........North of Rangoon....I have a Nav. Const. Bat. and the 11 SNLF........just to hold the river to Pagans left.........
The big problem with Burma....is the trickle of Chinese forces....that will I believe tip the balance in the next 6 weeks......
Akagi has upgraded and is awaiting the fleet reorg. after the arrival of Katsuragi in 10 days.......
The non stop bombarding of Rangoon....makes me think Speedy is trying to find another way of flanking Mandalay...will he invade Rangoon?....he can cover with LBA........ all I have there is 1 Div. 1Eng. and the Burma HQ....all trying to rebuild.......as all other forces are now commited..........North of Rangoon....I have a Nav. Const. Bat. and the 11 SNLF........just to hold the river to Pagans left.........
The big problem with Burma....is the trickle of Chinese forces....that will I believe tip the balance in the next 6 weeks......
RE: Ouch.........
Here is Burma.........if I'm forced to withdraw from Mandalay......I'll try to hold at Raheang and Tavoy.....but Tavoy can be hit by BBs from the sea.......so not Ideal.......
Any Ideas.....most welcome......

Any Ideas.....most welcome......

- Attachments
-
- bum.jpg (172.72 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: Ouch.........
OOps......also....on the 15-16th Speedy hit Hanoi with massed bombers and over 200 Lightnings..........they were met by about 200 of my mixed fighters.......who were swept aside........he bombed the resources/HI.......I've been forced to pull all air groups out............
RE: Ouch.........
March 17th 1944........
Lost a ML and an AK today....to subs around Java.........
Endless Bombing on his part........
other than that ....ominously quiet....
Lost a ML and an AK today....to subs around Java.........
Endless Bombing on his part........
other than that ....ominously quiet....
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Ouch.........
It's not dangerous yet... Only when the endless bombing becomes ominously quiet, then it's scary...
As for your Rangoon issue, I'd evacuate. If he intends to attack further south into Indochina and Malaya, then you'll be happy for the extra reserves. You'll have to go the long way around, what with his troops at Moulmein, but still...
As for your Rangoon issue, I'd evacuate. If he intends to attack further south into Indochina and Malaya, then you'll be happy for the extra reserves. You'll have to go the long way around, what with his troops at Moulmein, but still...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
About Rangoon
My first inclination would be to fight for every inch of ground. given the state of your forces, it's a question of time, so I would gain as much time as possible by slowing his advance. The one problem is that, with a position south of Rangoon, Speedy might be able to trap some of your units. So my guess (and it's no more than a guess) is to fight until your line of retreat is about to disappear, then evacuate.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
RE: About Rangoon
Capt.......I agree, I will fight until it is clear that my time is up, and then withdraw...but it will be close thing....and If he has the forces to land at Rangoon....it will get messy indeed........
T.......my problem is what line to hold after I abandon the Irrawadi.........
18-19th March 1944.....
In the last 2 days I've lost 4 APs to Speedy's subs.......but I have badly damaged 2 of the little b*ggers...........and another 1 has been hit by Helens flying from Palambang........so should need some yard time........small consolation......
9 days until fleet reorg.....then I'll post the next Battle Plan.....
T.......my problem is what line to hold after I abandon the Irrawadi.........
18-19th March 1944.....
In the last 2 days I've lost 4 APs to Speedy's subs.......but I have badly damaged 2 of the little b*ggers...........and another 1 has been hit by Helens flying from Palambang........so should need some yard time........small consolation......
9 days until fleet reorg.....then I'll post the next Battle Plan.....
RE: About ouch........
SAG 4........minus the 2BBs are running in on Raba(Reba.....Robo..whatever)...he has no heavies in the area........and the extra speed may allow them to get in without being spotted..........coverered by 36 Zekes flying from Bali........
RE: About ouch........
March 20th 1944...........
SAG 4 hit the allied TF around Reba(?)......the extra speed meant they did arrive undetected.......but sadly the escorts did their job....I sank 2 DDs and a MSW.....but only hit one of the transports.........one of my CLs lost a 5.5 inch turret....so some repair req.........
Another AP was sunk by his Subs........
But here is the sad truth........17 units on the road from Akyab.........I hope it will take 50 days to reach the river.......I have only a NLF and a Const. bat there right now.......but will commit the 11th army....(as listed above)......joined by 2 Mixed Brig.......another Div...and the 3rd Tank if I can spare them.......It's high risk as the entire Burma Army could be cut off...........but I must hold the Irrawadi for another 2-3months.......if I can........

SAG 4 hit the allied TF around Reba(?)......the extra speed meant they did arrive undetected.......but sadly the escorts did their job....I sank 2 DDs and a MSW.....but only hit one of the transports.........one of my CLs lost a 5.5 inch turret....so some repair req.........
Another AP was sunk by his Subs........
But here is the sad truth........17 units on the road from Akyab.........I hope it will take 50 days to reach the river.......I have only a NLF and a Const. bat there right now.......but will commit the 11th army....(as listed above)......joined by 2 Mixed Brig.......another Div...and the 3rd Tank if I can spare them.......It's high risk as the entire Burma Army could be cut off...........but I must hold the Irrawadi for another 2-3months.......if I can........

- Attachments
-
- bummer.jpg (195.48 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: About ouch........
March 21st 1944...............
I lost another TK....and an AK to subs today........both empty ...but the TK, as always, hurts........
On the plus side ......a group of AKs wandered too close to PM....and my Betty 2s.......sank all four......(not confirmed....but probables).....
New air group commanders were assigned to Sqdrns....today......as the training groups of my shattered air units....prep for the next big action...........
I lost another TK....and an AK to subs today........both empty ...but the TK, as always, hurts........
On the plus side ......a group of AKs wandered too close to PM....and my Betty 2s.......sank all four......(not confirmed....but probables).....
New air group commanders were assigned to Sqdrns....today......as the training groups of my shattered air units....prep for the next big action...........
RE: About ouch........
March 22nd 1944..........
Speedy got tired of my PM raiders hitting his passing transports so these showed up today........These are the kind of visitors who come into your house....trash the place ...find and drink all your best wine.....and then b*gger off....without so much as a 'by your leave'.........I lost 20 aircraft.....him 9........I'm flying in some Jacks and Tojos on LRCAP next turn.......let's see how many of his bombers return.........
Pleasingly....my Bettys still took to the air and hit Another 2 AKs.........

Speedy got tired of my PM raiders hitting his passing transports so these showed up today........These are the kind of visitors who come into your house....trash the place ...find and drink all your best wine.....and then b*gger off....without so much as a 'by your leave'.........I lost 20 aircraft.....him 9........I'm flying in some Jacks and Tojos on LRCAP next turn.......let's see how many of his bombers return.........
Pleasingly....my Bettys still took to the air and hit Another 2 AKs.........

- Attachments
-
- vis.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: About ouch........
March 23rd 1944........
Well PM was a trap......he flew in Lightnings as escort.....and I lost 35 aircraft to his 15....not as bad as it could have been.......but all my airgroups at PM are wreaked........and the LRCAP units at Gili are pulling out........he'll have to be content with destroying the airframes that are littering the runway at PM....for the next few turns......
SAG 4(now reduced to 1 CA 1 CL and 6 DDs) hit Reba again today.........and sank 2 DEs and 3 AKs......we suffered no penetrating hits........
Well PM was a trap......he flew in Lightnings as escort.....and I lost 35 aircraft to his 15....not as bad as it could have been.......but all my airgroups at PM are wreaked........and the LRCAP units at Gili are pulling out........he'll have to be content with destroying the airframes that are littering the runway at PM....for the next few turns......
SAG 4(now reduced to 1 CA 1 CL and 6 DDs) hit Reba again today.........and sank 2 DEs and 3 AKs......we suffered no penetrating hits........
RE: About ouch........
Ooops must remember to proofred.......'wrecked' ...perhaps........
RE: About ouch........
or even proof read.........must oil flippers......
RE: About ouch........
March 23rd 1944.........
Lost another AP today....and one of my wounded TKs sank.........
Speedy hit Marcus with LRB..........hmmmm........I think he is more likely to hit The marianas direct....by supressing the flanks....(marcus and Ein.).......than by going for them...but we will see......Kongo and all her sisters....get an upgrade in 8 days time......so I'll try to keep the fleet in port for another 2-3 weeks........
Lost another AP today....and one of my wounded TKs sank.........
Speedy hit Marcus with LRB..........hmmmm........I think he is more likely to hit The marianas direct....by supressing the flanks....(marcus and Ein.).......than by going for them...but we will see......Kongo and all her sisters....get an upgrade in 8 days time......so I'll try to keep the fleet in port for another 2-3 weeks........
RE: About ouch........
Ooopps ....24th March......I'm useless today.......
RE: About ouch........
25th March 1944............
Another tanker hit off Brunei......should make port.....but OUCH.......not many left........
An AP also got torp'd off Saigon....and will sink......she was empty.......
Supply is a real problem in Burma....but I fear any retreat....to where?.....though the Irrawadi line is a bit like an overstretched rubber band.........if it breaks........enough said.......
Mutsu slipped out of drydock today....with 0 sys and a fresh coat of paint.......she will join the other BBs in Tokyo bay as the fleet reorgs..........
Another tanker hit off Brunei......should make port.....but OUCH.......not many left........
An AP also got torp'd off Saigon....and will sink......she was empty.......
Supply is a real problem in Burma....but I fear any retreat....to where?.....though the Irrawadi line is a bit like an overstretched rubber band.........if it breaks........enough said.......
Mutsu slipped out of drydock today....with 0 sys and a fresh coat of paint.......she will join the other BBs in Tokyo bay as the fleet reorgs..........
RE: About ouch........
26th March 1944.......
Speedy slipped in a surface force to surprise SAG 4 at Raba(Reba) today......and surprise it did......Houston and the Tromp with escorts hit me hard.........Tromp is sunk...as probably are two of his DDs.....but Kumano is badly hurt...( also hit by Helldivers when light came)...and one of my DDs is dead......
but.....
This surface action is one of the few things...at this stage of the war....that we Japs do well.........so another 2 CLs and 8DDs are on their way to the region........
Another TK hit.......sometimes the gods aren't kind.........

Speedy slipped in a surface force to surprise SAG 4 at Raba(Reba) today......and surprise it did......Houston and the Tromp with escorts hit me hard.........Tromp is sunk...as probably are two of his DDs.....but Kumano is badly hurt...( also hit by Helldivers when light came)...and one of my DDs is dead......
but.....
This surface action is one of the few things...at this stage of the war....that we Japs do well.........so another 2 CLs and 8DDs are on their way to the region........
Another TK hit.......sometimes the gods aren't kind.........

- Attachments
-
- super.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 219 times
RE: About ouch........
27th March 1944........
3 count 'em 3 TKs were hit by Speedy's subs today.......the gods are having a laugh......but I'm not.......down to 25 TKs....of which 10 are operational as we speak......
Kumano looks like she'll make Java...unless caught by subs on the way in......
Katsuragi has arrived........I'm expending all my acceleration points now on TKs.......the other carriers will have to wait........
3 count 'em 3 TKs were hit by Speedy's subs today.......the gods are having a laugh......but I'm not.......down to 25 TKs....of which 10 are operational as we speak......
Kumano looks like she'll make Java...unless caught by subs on the way in......
Katsuragi has arrived........I'm expending all my acceleration points now on TKs.......the other carriers will have to wait........
RE: About ouch........
28th March 1944........
Kumano made it to Soer....but with 50 flt and 80 sys......she's still not out of danger..........
4 new DDs will arrive at Soer.....to join SAG 4 and with my one remaining CA will sally forth for Reba(raba..whatever...)....I might include a BB and make it a bombardment mission........but would rather kill ships at this point.......
3 days until major upgrades for some of my BBs.....I still need 3 weeks to be ready for whatever is lurking in the CENPAC..........
Kumano made it to Soer....but with 50 flt and 80 sys......she's still not out of danger..........
4 new DDs will arrive at Soer.....to join SAG 4 and with my one remaining CA will sally forth for Reba(raba..whatever...)....I might include a BB and make it a bombardment mission........but would rather kill ships at this point.......
3 days until major upgrades for some of my BBs.....I still need 3 weeks to be ready for whatever is lurking in the CENPAC..........


