Stuka's

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Stuka's

Post by Jack »

I am trying to explain to my son how Stuka's worked. And I told him about the siren device which makes a noise when they dive. Does anyone have a sound file to email me so that he can hear what it sounded like?
I know SPWAW just use's the same sound as any other plane.
jdionne@mts.net
Thanks in advance
Mojo
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by Mojo »

Jack there are a few places that I found that claim to have Stuka sound effects. I'm no expert but this site has one that sounds like every Stuka attack I've heard in the movies.


http://avanimation.avsupport.com/Sound.htm
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Penetrator
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:18 pm
Location: Iceland

Post by Penetrator »

The Stuka sound has become a bit of a movie cliché. It has been very widely used to represent ground attack by propeller aircraft other than Stukas, am I right?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!
Mojo
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by Mojo »

Originally posted by Penetrator
The Stuka sound has become a bit of a movie cliché. It has been very widely used to represent ground attack by propeller aircraft other than Stukas, am I right?
I can't argue with that observation. I did listen to some of the wavs on that site for aircraft I have seen in person and those seemed accurate. No Spitfire though :(
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Post by Jack »

Penetrator, Mojo
Thanks for your help. The plane was equipted with some sort of noise device wasn't it? :confused:
Grimm
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Stuka Sirens

Post by Grimm »

I know during the invasion of Poland Stukas did have sirens attached (I think on the landing gear strut) to add to the shock value of the attack. Not sure if they were mounted throughout the war. Seems to me the shock value would wear thin after a few attacks and could actually be more of a liability (hear them coming sooner).
Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way
Waylander
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pattaya, Chonburi, Thailand
Contact:

stuka sirens

Post by Waylander »

The Stuka's that attacked Poland were not IIRC fitted with sirens, the sound was produced when wind whistled through the extended dive brakes. Due to tales of the sound and its effects a siren was developed and used during the Frence campaign. The stuka (Sturzkampfflugzeuge) model Berta used at this time was highly effective with the added howl of the siren's although was soon found to be a sitting duck for most allied fighters.

regards
Waylander
"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."
Mojo
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by Mojo »

I'm with you Grimm. I think that the sirens would be most effective the first couple of times you heard it after that they would just be a warning to find cover. What nickname did the Iraqis give the A 10? Whispering Death or something? They're hard to hear until they open fire. My favorite plane in the inventory:D

I read that unescorted Stukas were easy meat for fighters Waylander. Speed (or lack there of) kills.

Wanna hear the most beautiful sound in aviation? Go here

http://www.spitcrazy.com/spitsound.htm


I know other planes used the RR Merlin but..........
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Penetrator
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:18 pm
Location: Iceland

Post by Penetrator »

I rather think the siren sound could have been more devastating than some have said. To be repeatedly bombed by those screaming bastards must have been a very terrifying experience.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!
V-man
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Indiana

Post by V-man »

Originally posted by Mojo


What nickname did the Iraqis give the A 10? Whispering Death or something? They're hard to hear until they open fire. My favorite plane in the inventory:D


Whispering death was the M-1A1 Abrahms tank.

One Iraqi office stated that after 30 days of air bombardment he still had most of his unit of tanks, having lost only 20 or so out of a couple hundred.

He said that after ten minutes combat vs M-1s, he had none left. Just goes to show ya, the best weapon for killing a tank is another tank.

:)
"You see, in this world there's 2 kinds of people, my friend:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
Mojo
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by Mojo »

Originally posted by V-man


Whispering death was the M-1A1 Abrahms tank.

One Iraqi office stated that after 30 days of air bombardment he still had most of his unit of tanks, having lost only 20 or so out of a couple hundred.

He said that after ten minutes combat vs M-1s, he had none left. Just goes to show ya, the best weapon for killing a tank is another tank.

:)
Well thanks for setting me straight on the M1A1.

Whispering Death has been used for a lot of things I guess. The Japanese called the Beaufighter that.

As far as tanks being the best thing to kill other tanks goes.... in this game I lose more tanks to P51s than Allied tanks.:D
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Waylander
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pattaya, Chonburi, Thailand
Contact:

Post by Waylander »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo


Well thanks for setting me straight on the M1A1.

Whispering Death has been used for a lot of things I guess. The Japanese called the Beaufighter that.


Interesting, I have never heard the Abrams described as that, although I know the Bristol Beaufighter was named that in the 2nd World War. I do know that "whispering death" was also commonly used when referring to the F-111 Aardvark.

regards
Waylander
"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."
Mojo
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by Mojo »

Originally posted by Waylander
.... I do know that "whispering death" was also commonly used when referring to the F-111 Aardvark.

regards
Waylander
I learn something here every day. Thanks
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Post by Belisarius »

Originally posted by Penetrator
I rather think the siren sound could have been more devastating than some have said. To be repeatedly bombed by those screaming bastards must have been a very terrifying experience.
I'll second you on that, Penetrator. :cool:

If you had been on the receiving end of a Stuka attack and survived it, I don't think you'd be too happy to hear that sound ever again...really.

B'sides, the siren starts first when the Stuka is already into the dive, and if you haven't discovered it by then, it's too late anyway :D :D

IIRC, it's *not* the extended flaps on the landing gear that produces the sound - they're reducing drag. It'd be really weird if they'd make that noise as well. The part about the sound originating from air flowing through the siren is absolutely correct, though. IIRC (again) you can sometimes see the siren in good Stuka photos, it's located on the belly between the landing gear. (slightly offset to the right??)
Image
Got StuG?
User avatar
Bernie
Posts: 1675
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:18 am
Location: Depot HQ - Virginia
Contact:

Post by Bernie »

www.soundamerica.com has a pretty good stuka wav in their sound effects section. I found it when I was looking for a stampede sound effect to add to an elephant trumpt sound for a wav in another thread. (See "How come?" if you're curious now)
What, me worry?
Jack
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canada

Post by Jack »

Thanks Bernie
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”