Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Speedy's CV's
1st May 1944.........
The air was clear over Soerbaja.....as Speedy stood down his Lightnings......at least for a turn......he has lost about 50 of them in the last 4 days.......at a cost to me of about 230 planes.......
The Sub vs ASW war is hotting up......another 2 of my new PC sub killers were hit by torps....both will sink.....but in reply I sank the Sea Rover outright.......and badly damaged another 3 of his subs......
All but Taiho and Katsuragi have upgraded to Grace's.....but with exp, levels at around 40 ....they won't be going to sea any time soon........
The air was clear over Soerbaja.....as Speedy stood down his Lightnings......at least for a turn......he has lost about 50 of them in the last 4 days.......at a cost to me of about 230 planes.......
The Sub vs ASW war is hotting up......another 2 of my new PC sub killers were hit by torps....both will sink.....but in reply I sank the Sea Rover outright.......and badly damaged another 3 of his subs......
All but Taiho and Katsuragi have upgraded to Grace's.....but with exp, levels at around 40 ....they won't be going to sea any time soon........
RE: Speedy's CV's
Oh, gentle readers...do forgive me.......It has been at least 5 turns since my last post.... as work is proving ....taxing...shall we say........but here are the highlights.....
The sub war carries on as I have hit at least 5 of Speedys subs.....sinking 2 .........he in turn has hit a DD a TK and 2 PCs(sinking these)..........the PCs......
He has crossed the river north of Rangoon and gained a foothold....with 1-1 odds....and still 7 units in reserve......the Irrawadi line is now at breaking point....and I will look for sage advice in the next turn or 2 from you lot.........
His Lightnings and bombers returned to Soerabaja.......and My Zekes/Jacks/Georges ...meeting him at about 1-1.........lost at a rate of 10-1...(with my pilots at exp. lvl 70-75) ....disapointed....somewhat.....100 aircraft lost to 8.........
A carrier TF of Speedy's caught the 4th BF evac.-ing from PM and despite some bizarre combat (in the morning phase he hit nothing...in the afternoon......slaughter......) for two turns in a row....hmmm.....a bit strange.....the 4th unloaded at Gooden.Is......and will be picked up soon.........
Will update with maps soon......no....really......I will........I mean it.............
The sub war carries on as I have hit at least 5 of Speedys subs.....sinking 2 .........he in turn has hit a DD a TK and 2 PCs(sinking these)..........the PCs......
He has crossed the river north of Rangoon and gained a foothold....with 1-1 odds....and still 7 units in reserve......the Irrawadi line is now at breaking point....and I will look for sage advice in the next turn or 2 from you lot.........
His Lightnings and bombers returned to Soerabaja.......and My Zekes/Jacks/Georges ...meeting him at about 1-1.........lost at a rate of 10-1...(with my pilots at exp. lvl 70-75) ....disapointed....somewhat.....100 aircraft lost to 8.........
A carrier TF of Speedy's caught the 4th BF evac.-ing from PM and despite some bizarre combat (in the morning phase he hit nothing...in the afternoon......slaughter......) for two turns in a row....hmmm.....a bit strange.....the 4th unloaded at Gooden.Is......and will be picked up soon.........
Will update with maps soon......no....really......I will........I mean it.............
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Speedy's CV's
It can be hard to juggle Real Life (tm) and a WitP AAR... Especially if all one has are flippers...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Speedy's CV's
I have a hard enough time juggling one thing at a time........
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: Speedy's CV's
How can this be? I assumed the Jap losses were the result of low pilot experience (or the fact that flippers don't work well with most airplane controls). I would expect Zekes, Jacks and Georges all to fair ok against P-38s. Corsairs and Hellcats might be different.ORIGINAL: fabertong
His Lightnings and bombers returned to Soerabaja.......and My Zekes/Jacks/Georges ...meeting him at about 1-1.........lost at a rate of 10-1...(with my pilots at exp. lvl 70-75) ....disapointed....somewhat.....100 aircraft lost to 8.........

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
RE: Speedy's CV's
Hi niceguy.........at 1-1...I would expect about a 4-1 kill ratio for the lightnings......Speedys lightnings are very experienced.....I think....I had hoped having killed about 50 in the last week....that this exp. level would have dropped....clearly not.......
9th May 1944.....
My LRCAP units were socked in with bad weather.....so Speedy's bombers had a clear run on Soerabaja....and destroyed about 60 airframes on the ground.......most already damaged.......I can just about afford the loss in airframes......as long as I can evac. the pilots....have stood down all airgroups for the next turn......as I try and figure what to do next in this theatre......
Another of Speedy's subs was hit and badly hurt off Brunei........
Lost an AP to subs....near Saipan.......
3 X big supply convoys to Camranh Bay.......50,000 supply each.....
Naval Const. Bat. from Devao to Tarakan........
9th May 1944.....
My LRCAP units were socked in with bad weather.....so Speedy's bombers had a clear run on Soerabaja....and destroyed about 60 airframes on the ground.......most already damaged.......I can just about afford the loss in airframes......as long as I can evac. the pilots....have stood down all airgroups for the next turn......as I try and figure what to do next in this theatre......
Another of Speedy's subs was hit and badly hurt off Brunei........
Lost an AP to subs....near Saipan.......
3 X big supply convoys to Camranh Bay.......50,000 supply each.....
Naval Const. Bat. from Devao to Tarakan........
The Sad Truth.....part 29
Here is Burma.........apart from what I've marked on the map.......he has around 3000 av at Moul........held in place by my 1500 av both north and south of him......but his unit count is going up...so I fear he is flying more troops in........any thoughts..........other than 'your screwed'.....


- Attachments
-
- burmanja.jpg (203.24 KiB) Viewed 269 times
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
10th May 1944.........
Lost a DD in the ongoing sub vs ASW war......but damaged another 2 subs.......(not badly)........
Speedy hit Soerabaja oil today.....suits me (sort of) as I can't get ships in and out to move it......
Kendari and Maccasar are not regulars on the Speedy bombing roadshow........along with PM...Gilli....Ein....Marcus.....and all of Burma....not to mention China.......
Lost a DD in the ongoing sub vs ASW war......but damaged another 2 subs.......(not badly)........
Speedy hit Soerabaja oil today.....suits me (sort of) as I can't get ships in and out to move it......
Kendari and Maccasar are not regulars on the Speedy bombing roadshow........along with PM...Gilli....Ein....Marcus.....and all of Burma....not to mention China.......
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Ooops ....in above post for not regulars ....please read are NOW regulars....curse these flippers.........BTW all carrier airgroups now upgraded........Kaga and Hiyo....both down to 20 sys.......go HK go........
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Here is Burma.........apart from what I've marked on the map.......he has around 3000 av at Moul........held in place by my 1500 av both north and south of him......but his unit count is going up...so I fear he is flying more troops in........any thoughts..........other than 'your screwed'.....
Many thanks for the map. I must confess I'm rooting for Speedy in this situation. (I posted to him that it was similar to Grant at Richmond in fall 1864 to spring 1865.) IIRC his carriers in that area are in the shop for a while. Any chance of running a bombardment TF to Moulmein to distract him, and take out a few of his aircraft?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Thanks for the idea Capt.......if NOT the support......actually I think a fair few are rooting for Speedy in Burma......he has played well.....and probably deserves a breakthrough.....and I fear it may not be long in coming......
11th May 1944.....
Speedy has taken And. Is.......all I had there was a damaged AK....and the fragment of a BF.........
His lightnings over Soer......hit hard again 150 mixed fighters( exp. 60-65)......were swept by 100 lightnings......I lost 100 aircraft...him about 12.....it is about time for me pull my airgroups back to Batavia.....
Lost an AK and an AO today to his subs........damaged another 2 of his subs......
11th May 1944.....
Speedy has taken And. Is.......all I had there was a damaged AK....and the fragment of a BF.........
His lightnings over Soer......hit hard again 150 mixed fighters( exp. 60-65)......were swept by 100 lightnings......I lost 100 aircraft...him about 12.....it is about time for me pull my airgroups back to Batavia.....
Lost an AK and an AO today to his subs........damaged another 2 of his subs......
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16739
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Root for Speedy in this game??!! [X(] Never!! I'm with you to the end!
Created by the amazing Dixie
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Thanks for the map Faber. Great defensive line. I'm impressed that the Burma force has held up. Is he not bombing your ground units in Burma?
I of course must side with the Allies in the end, but have enjoyed the bravery of the Penguinistas. Carry on.
I of course must side with the Allies in the end, but have enjoyed the bravery of the Penguinistas. Carry on.


Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
- Capt. Harlock
- Posts: 5379
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Los Angeles
- Contact:
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
Thanks for the map Faber. Great defensive line. I'm impressed that the Burma force has held up. Is he not bombing your ground units in Burma?
From the thread that Speedy is running, he's been bombing the snot out of the poor penguins! As for my lack of support--well, you wouldn't want me to lie, would you?[:D]
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?
--Victor Hugo
--Victor Hugo
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Thanks everyone for the support.............Speedy is away from now until the New Year.....so a ceasefire has been arranged.........I have the turn ....so I can obsessivly change every commander of every air group/lcu/ship/etc........and if I can, I will treat you with a full set of maps ...and my thinking for how I feel the game will develop.....and what I might do about it.........but let me take this oppertunity......to wish all the loyay readers of this AAR.....a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.......from this evil penguin.........
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Just to apologize for the above post...in spelling and punctuation terms....and general flipper malfuntion....I mean......loyay....for loyaly....etc.......I must have been in the full flow of 'Christmas Cheer'.............ORIGINAL: fabertong
Thanks everyone for the support.............Speedy is away from now until the New Year.....so a ceasefire has been arranged.........I have the turn ....so I can obsessivly change every commander of every air group/lcu/ship/etc........and if I can, I will treat you with a full set of maps ...and my thinking for how I feel the game will develop.....and what I might do about it.........but let me take this oppertunity......to wish all the loyay readers of this AAR.....a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.......from this evil penguin.........
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
A quick look at the DEI........all the bases in this area have around 150-200 AV........except Soer....and Balikpapan/Tarakan....which have full divisions......I expect an invasion in the next 2 weeks.....


- Attachments
-
- DEI.jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 269 times
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Also...as an aside to the above post....he has been recon-ing.....further up in Borneo.......he may bypass all the above map.........and try to close all my airfields in this area from a base further north.......







