Govenor requests, some ideas.

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

User avatar
Gil R.
Posts: 10820
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Gil R. »

Artmiser,
Looking good so far. Don't forget Railroad Stations for provinces with key railroad hubs. (So look at the game map, as well as reference books.)

Also, perhaps look at the ACWStart.txt file and see what is already in a province that could be complemented. For example, if there's a Foundry, it would make sense for the governor to request a Manufacturing Center.

Thanks again for dealing with this.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
User avatar
Artmiser
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Artmiser »

NP Gil, Docs appointment tommorrow but dont see why I shouldnt have it posted for review by Fridayis.

And I have an excellent map for rail road hubs, ill be sure to add that.
Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
Paper Tiger
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:23 pm

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Paper Tiger »

Initially just Wheeling and John Letcher immediately started requesting Signal Towers, every time one was complete he requested another one.
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Sonny »

ORIGINAL: Paper Tiger

Initially just Wheeling and John Letcher immediately started requesting Signal Towers, every time one was complete he requested another one.

Since you captured the state I guess he was almost rebellious. I had the governor of New Jersey almost rebellious (playing as the union) and he asked for 3 banks in a row.

Might not mean anything but I thought I'd throw it out as a possibility to be looked at.
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Mike Scholl »

I still wish for an option to just quietly poison the greedy, intractable, irritating, political rascals....   :-)
General Quarters
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 pm

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by General Quarters »

There is one type of governors request that I see often and that makes a lot of sense -- governors in states where enemy troops have invaded or are in adjacent states request x number of brigades. Sometimes I get credit because I already have that many brigades there.

It would also make sense for coastal governors (which is almost all of them) to request various military improvements that could be considered coastal or harbor defense.
User avatar
Gil R.
Posts: 10820
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Gil R. »

ORIGINAL: General Quarters

There is one type of governors request that I see often and that makes a lot of sense -- governors in states where enemy troops have invaded or are in adjacent states request x number of brigades. Sometimes I get credit because I already have that many brigades there.

It would also make sense for coastal governors (which is almost all of them) to request various military improvements that could be considered coastal or harbor defense.

I've asked Eric to program in that governors can request upgrades to forts -- a bomproof or heavy artillery for Fort Pulaski, for example. I hope that can be in the next patch or the one after that.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Berkut
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 7:48 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Berkut »

I like to think of governors making whacky requests as an obstraction of the inherent political mess that existed. When some governor asks for something that makes little sense, I chalk it up to some political machination going on behind the scenes that is going to force me to waste some resources, or eat the political hit for refusing to do so.

I think there needs to be some of this, otherwise governor requests just become a way to farm political will by doing things you would ahv done anyway. It's like getting a request for a Camp somewhere. "A camp? Sure, I'll build you a camp!"
User avatar
Gil R.
Posts: 10820
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Gil R. »

I agree. That's why there will still be a 50% chance for something whacky to be requested. And even the sensible requests can't always be afforded, so meeting governors' demands will remain a challenge.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
General Quarters
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 pm

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by General Quarters »

Thanks, Gil.
User avatar
Artmiser
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Artmiser »

Ok this is what I have for the Union, if anyone thinks I missed anything of importance say so.

Union by State

State CT
Conneticut 31 infantry regiments  Interesting to note the first 28 regiemnts were
formed by 1862.  1 artillary formed from the men of the 4 infantry and 2 cavalry regiments.

One in game city of Hartford.  Starts out in standard campaign good enough, leave random.

State DE
Deleware provided 10 infantry regiments, 2 artillary and 2 cavalry a total of 12,284 men.
State did have DuPont and produced a large amount of gunpowerd. Not representative in this game.

For the purposes of this game I would leave it at random.

State IA
Iowa 49 infantry regiments, 10 calvary Regiments, 4 artillary regiments.
Artillary was not made there but gives an idea of states contributions.

Two in game cities Des Moines and Davenport.
Training Grounds, horse farms.

State IL
By late November 1862, after the harvest season, Illinois had 125 Infantry Regiments, 16 Cavalry, and 35 Artillery batteries. The total was 20,000 men in excess of the Union's requested quota for the State of Illinois.  By the end of the war 256,000 had served from this state

Three in game cities, Chicago, Cairo and Springfield
Manufacturing centers, training grounds, foundries, RR Stations, shipyards "for Cairo was a major ship builder for riverboats"

State IN
Indiana provided 152 Infantray regiements, 13 cavalry regiments and 38 batteries of artillary. 

The state is represented by the city of indianapolis.
Manufacturing centers, training grounds, foundries, RR Stations,

State KS
Kansas had approx 17 infantry regiemnts, 16 Cavalry Regiments, aprroximately 3 to 4 batteries of artillary.

In game represented by topeka Kansas,
training grounds, Horse farms.... or leave it random.

State ME
Maine, 32 Infantry Regiments, 3 Cavalry Regiements, and 7 batteries of artillary.

Represented in game by the City of Augusta,
Training grounds, manufacturing centers, factories.

State MD
Maryland 7 infantry Regiments, 1 cavalry regiment, 12 batteries.

In game represented by the city of annapolise
Naval college, Shipyard, RR Stations.

STate MA
Massachusetts, 60 infantry regiments,  4 cavalry regiments, and allot of arty.  Reads as 9 Artillary units but some of them had 12 batteries of artillary. "so looking at about 108 batteries of artillary"

Represented in game by Boston
Arsenal, Armory, laboratory, foundry, factories, RR station, Manufacturing centers,"Springfield Arsenal"

State MI
Michigan, 30 infantry Regiments, 11 Cavalry regiments"One considred moblie infantry", 1 Artillary unit consisting of 14 batteries of artillary.

Represented in game by Lansing and Detroit.
Training Centers, factories, or leave random.

State MN
Minnesota, 11 Infantry Regiments, 2 to 3 cavalry Regiments, 14 batteries

Represented in game by St. Paul
Leave it random, 12 of the batteries were not formed until 1864, low population state.

State NH
New Hamshire, 15 infantry Regiments, 2 Cavalry Regiments, 15 batteries.
Leave Random.

State NJ
New Jersey, 25 infantry Regiments, 3 Cavalry Regiments and approx 5 batteries of artillary.

Starts out well enough, leave random.

State NY
NEw York, 194 infantry Regiments, 25 Cavalry Regiments and a some where around 200 batteries.

Represeted in game with 5 cities
Manfacturing Centers, Training Grounds, foundries, shipyards, RR Station

State OH
Ohio, 175 Infantry regiments, 12 Cavalry Regiments, and 61 batteries
Represented in game by 3 cities.
RR Station, Manufacturing centers, training grounds, foundries, factories

State PA
Penn, 215 Infantry Regiments, 22 Cavalry Regiments, Approx 72 batteries

Represented in game with 3 cities.
RR stations, Training grounds, Manufacturing Centers, foundries, factories, mine.

State RI
Rhode Island, 12 infantry regiments, 3 Cavalry Regiments, about 50 batteries

Represented in game by Providence.
Leave it random

State VT
Vermont, 11 Infantry Reg, 1 Cavalry Reg, 3 batteries

Leave it random

State WI
Wisconsin, 52 Infantry Reg, 3 Cavalry Reg, 24 batteries

Training grounds, maunfacturing centers, factories, mine.
Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
spruce
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by spruce »

"governor wants a gigantic bronze statue in the state capitol ..."

ok, but first we will build an artillery practice firing field ... then we'll find a decent spot for that bronze statue ...

then we should have some foundries to melt that bronze...so we can have artillery works.

for every wacky request - a decent solution can be found ...
User avatar
Artmiser
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:25 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Artmiser »

OK also was thinking about the south and the Govenors there dont seem as demanding do players feel that the South needs adjustment?
Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
User avatar
Gil R.
Posts: 10820
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 am

RE: Govenor requests, some ideas.

Post by Gil R. »

Artmiser,
I got your message but couldn't respond (my brother's computer doesn't allow the Matrix p.m. system to function). I'd say it makes sense to continue -- this is a useful list, and will add to the game. Thanks!
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Post Reply

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”