ORIGINAL: slybelle
I've been following this one for awhile and am close to possibly purchasing before the 25% discount ends.
buy it in poland. an official release costs 20 polish zlotys (it's ~7 $) - quite a bargain for such a game. [;)]
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
ORIGINAL: slybelle
I've been following this one for awhile and am close to possibly purchasing before the 25% discount ends.
ORIGINAL: Reg
Oh man you got to get a sense of perspective. I paid $60 for a can of paint and it was no fun at all
(though she who must be obeyed seemed happy enough)
ORIGINAL: RAM
#1: I don't know if there is anything like this other than in the patches readme files, where all cumulative improvements are explained...there are LOTS of new and improved things since WITP was released, so I would suggest you read the manual first, play a couple of small scenarios, then read the readme, and then try a big campaign against the AI to get the feel of the war.
Then do the jump and fight another human of your same level of experience. You will commit mistakes but so did real life commanders. They learned from their own mistakes, just as you will.
#2: Both, actually. Game can end if the japanese can achieve enough points over the allies before 1943. I think it's a 4/1 score to achieve autovictory. Then after 1944 the same happens to the allies, if they achieve enough points over the japanese, game ends. If the game reaches 1946 without either side achieving an autovictory, game automatically ends with whatever result is achieved at that moment.
I don't know the odds needed for each side and each time frame, neither I remember the exact date of the final date. others can specify them for me.
#3: WITP is somewhat influenced by events in other theaters of war, but in a very indirect way. All the ship arriving times happen as they did historically because those ships were present in other places (for instance, USS Wasp was in the atlantic and mediterranean until mid-1942).
Then there is the monthly dice roll to see if you must retire british ships from the Far Eastern Fleet, which simulates needs from other theaters of operations. You can choose to keep the ships the high command has asked from you, paying a quite large penalty on political points, or you can send them some or all of them as requested.
Other than that, there is no influence from other war zones on this game.
#4: This happens against the AI too, but when you are fighting an human, you simply don't have time to get bored. You are constantly planning for future operations, strenghtening weak zones, moving resources from one base to another... the area WITP covers is so overwhelming that always there's something happening somewhere. Certain fronts can get boring because of little or no action for a long while, but as in other ones something will be happening, you won't feel any boredom at all.
#5: there is some rumours about a WITP2. But if it is going to happen, it's still very far in the future.
About the game itself, and on the topic "should I buy it?"...I've been playing entertainment software since I had an Amstrad CPC, 22 years ago. I have never, and I repeat it , NEVER, seen a game like WITP, displaying so many variables in a theater of operations as immense as this one, and with a campaign as long as this one. And when you finish a game, there is no problem in starting another one...because things are so different from one game to another...
People keep insisting that replayability in this game is awesome. Well, I disagree. Replayability is nonexisting...you don't re-play WITP. You fight a whole different war each game you play.
Its simply awesome. Worth every cent you invest on the game. Highly reccommended.


ORIGINAL: Terminus
And the Nik, the Pauk and the Speedy were all morons, forever cowering in the shadows of the Terminus...[:'(]
ORIGINAL: Speedy
Cool thanks Pauk. Happy to be compared to the Big Three. You're clearly doomed in our WiTE game[:'(]
T - when did I belittle you? Dumbass. We should play a game of something soon so I can deck you.....again[:'(]

ORIGINAL: pauk
ORIGINAL: Speedy
Cool thanks Pauk. Happy to be compared to the Big Three. You're clearly doomed in our WiTE game[:'(]
T - when did I belittle you? Dumbass. We should play a game of something soon so I can deck you.....again[:'(]
you are welcomed. But hate to say, your empty threats doesn't scare even a kindergarden kids - so read my lips: YOU ALREADY LOST OUR WIE GAME....[:'(]
Regarding T and the game against him. Please don't do that, even a PBEM game against bacterium would offer more challenge![:D]
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
This Leek Song is growing on me.....
