Fabertong vs Speedy: The view from the Pole
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Not so much brutal overlords......more much loved and kindly rulers......and don't you forget it.......
26th May 1944.......
A quiet turn.......
Lost an AK to subs........
Speedy bombed everywhere.......
and no sign of his CVEs.......curses....they have escaped me......
26th May 1944.......
A quiet turn.......
Lost an AK to subs........
Speedy bombed everywhere.......
and no sign of his CVEs.......curses....they have escaped me......
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
27th May 1944.........
Another quiet day.......so just a quick post to show you how my withdraw'l strategy is working.....or not as the case may be.......Speedy's move on Bulla......will now allow Para drops onto some very usefull bases for him........bugger......maybe I should have left at least a NG unit behind.......

Another quiet day.......so just a quick post to show you how my withdraw'l strategy is working.....or not as the case may be.......Speedy's move on Bulla......will now allow Para drops onto some very usefull bases for him........bugger......maybe I should have left at least a NG unit behind.......

- Attachments
-
- joe.jpg (120.14 KiB) Viewed 259 times
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Too bad you can't implement the Penguinista equivalent of Scorched Earth Withdrawal...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
as a punishment ...every third man at Amboina will be killed.......
Don't shoot them - save the ammo - just load them onto AKs and let them float around for Speedy's subs to find... [:'(]
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
won't withdrawing only make his job easier? Granted...the ability to overbuild in the game does greatly reduce the value of real estate denial. I faced a similar situation in one PBEM. I had all the prime locations well defended.....and all the opponent has to do is land on a (0)1 airbase and 10000 engineers can make it a level 4 base in under two weeks unless you bombard the **** out of it.
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Nik......I feel I probably have 'over withdrawn'...as it were......but after he bypassed Tarawa/Kwaj/Einwetok......leaving over 100,00 troops (spread across the 3 Islands) trapped.........I got a bit nervous about any bases that were out on a limb....also was desperate for troops in other places......and Speedy had made no attampt all game at the Sols/PNG....until this move on the left flank of PNG.......time will tell just how muddle headed...I've been.......ORIGINAL: Nikademus
won't withdrawing only make his job easier? Granted...the ability to overbuild in the game does greatly reduce the value of real estate denial. I faced a similar situation in one PBEM. I had all the prime locations well defended.....and all the opponent has to do is land on a (0)1 airbase and 10000 engineers can make it a level 4 base in under two weeks unless you bombard the **** out of it.
28th May 1944........
Another quiet day apart from this surface intercept at Bulla...........I bagged 2 DDs a DE and one AK......but was a bit dissapointed when my ships ran for home....before really getting stuck into the Transports......alas

- Attachments
-
- alllall.jpg (110.16 KiB) Viewed 259 times
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
I apologize for the spelling in the above post(as with all my posts)....and no....I don't know what an 'Attampt' is either.......
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
[:D][:D][:D].....I'm laughing......but I'm weeping at the same time........ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
as a punishment ...every third man at Amboina will be killed.......
Don't shoot them - save the ammo - just load them onto AKs and let them float around for Speedy's subs to find... [:'(]
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Not so much brutal overlords......more much loved and kindly rulers......and don't you forget it.......
OR ELSE!!![:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Exactly.......ORIGINAL: BrucePowers
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Not so much brutal overlords......more much loved and kindly rulers......and don't you forget it.......
OR ELSE!!![:D]
29th May 1944.........
Another day with not much to tell......except Arare made it to Pelau....much to my surprise......
Lost another AK to subs...........
.....and the sad truth is that I have 7 single AK TFs moving around PNG and the Sols....picking up whatever suppy I have left there........oh the ignomy........oh the shame........I'll be rummaging through the rubbish bins/trash cans next.......
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Can you spare the AK to do that or does Speedy not have a lot of subs in that area?
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Exactly.......ORIGINAL: BrucePowers
ORIGINAL: fabertong
Not so much brutal overlords......more much loved and kindly rulers......and don't you forget it.......
OR ELSE!!![:D]
29th May 1944.........
Another day with not much to tell......except Arare made it to Pelau....much to my surprise......
Lost another AK to subs...........
.....and the sad truth is that I have 7 single AK TFs moving around PNG and the Sols....picking up whatever suppy I have left there........oh the ignomy........oh the shame........I'll be rummaging through the rubbish bins/trash cans next.......
You mean you aren't already?[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
If you have pics........PM..me....I'll pay to keep them secret........such things can damage an Overlords Reputation.....
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
I did a little experimenting recently with surface actions. I discoverd (or at least became suspicious that the following may be true).ORIGINAL: fabertong
Another quiet day apart from this surface intercept at Bulla...........I bagged 2 DDs a DE and one AK......but was a bit dissapointed when my ships ran for home....before really getting stuck into the Transports......alas
1. You need a really aggressive TF commander to stick around in a surface action. If I am putting together a surface raider group I grab the most aggresive commander I can find, even at the expense of naval skill.
2. CLs are better than CAs as raiders. When the CAs run low on ammo the group heads for home. CLs have much larger stores.
3. Having the TF set to patrol/don't retire helps prolong the battle.
I can't really say for sure that any of that is true, but evidence strongly supports it.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Hi niceguy........interesting stuff........ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
I did a little experimenting recently with surface actions. I discoverd (or at least became suspicious that the following may be true).ORIGINAL: fabertong
Another quiet day apart from this surface intercept at Bulla...........I bagged 2 DDs a DE and one AK......but was a bit dissapointed when my ships ran for home....before really getting stuck into the Transports......alas
1. You need a really aggressive TF commander to stick around in a surface action. If I am putting together a surface raider group I grab the most aggresive commander I can find, even at the expense of naval skill.
2. CLs are better than CAs as raiders. When the CAs run low on ammo the group heads for home. CLs have much larger stores.
3. Having the TF set to patrol/don't retire helps prolong the battle.
I can't really say for sure that any of that is true, but evidence strongly supports it.
I had an aggresive commander....but I'll check just how aggresive..........
I'll also have a look at my CLs and CAs.....but Jap CLs are a mixed bunch at best....and quite a few aren't very good.......
I didn't use the patrol/don't retire because of allied airpower in the area..........curse those flyboys.........
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Most Jap CL's aren't very good at all. They had some good CA's, and that makes it all the more interesting why they couldn't produce any good CL's prior to the war.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Yeah and I sunk one of your best ones in the first week of the war.[:'(][:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
30th May 1944...............
Speedy is away this week in San Fransisco.....lucky man....though it is on work......but we might sneak a turn or 2 in......
A TK was hit off Palambang.....is heading to Singapore.......but the subs are full of water.......or actually can you reverse that last statement..........
Hiei left the HI for HK...........
Kirishima left Shanghei for HK.........these two ships will form single BB SAGs for future use....probably in the DEI..........
Speedy is away this week in San Fransisco.....lucky man....though it is on work......but we might sneak a turn or 2 in......
A TK was hit off Palambang.....is heading to Singapore.......but the subs are full of water.......or actually can you reverse that last statement..........
Hiei left the HI for HK...........
Kirishima left Shanghei for HK.........these two ships will form single BB SAGs for future use....probably in the DEI..........
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
31st May 1944.........
Speedy is back...........and the first turn, upon his return, was exceedingly quiet.......just the generic bombing (by him, of all of everywhere)........and I lost an AK to subs.......it's too quiet out there.......'storms a comin'............
Fuso down to 48 flt.......I'll hold her at Wasile for a week more....and then move her......because I feel Speedy will come hunting....he must know she's there.....
Speedy is back...........and the first turn, upon his return, was exceedingly quiet.......just the generic bombing (by him, of all of everywhere)........and I lost an AK to subs.......it's too quiet out there.......'storms a comin'............
Fuso down to 48 flt.......I'll hold her at Wasile for a week more....and then move her......because I feel Speedy will come hunting....he must know she's there.....
RE: The Sad Truth.....part 29
Sometime in June....around the 5th ...I think......1944..........
The last few turns have been rather quiet as Speedy's big hammer...I feel is due to fall........and I can now see how all of his other movements fit in place......
His HI raid destroyed most of my carrier airgroups.......taking them out of the next battle....
His DEI invasions...have caused me to split my SAGs....all over that theatre....also taking them out of the next battle.....
So when he resumes his movement in the CENPAC......I have little to offer ...other than the islands defences themselves.....which I fear will fall woefully short....
Last turn I tried to run in a CA SAG to Bulla ....to kill his 2 damaged CVEs.....but his bombers chased me away.....though with little damage.........so
...this turn I ran in AAG 1 and it's untrained pilots.......who killed 3 AKs.......a SCer......and confirmed kill of one of the CVEs........aircaft losses were even....so good training for my pilots.......they will now retreat to Pelau...........
The last few turns have been rather quiet as Speedy's big hammer...I feel is due to fall........and I can now see how all of his other movements fit in place......
His HI raid destroyed most of my carrier airgroups.......taking them out of the next battle....
His DEI invasions...have caused me to split my SAGs....all over that theatre....also taking them out of the next battle.....
So when he resumes his movement in the CENPAC......I have little to offer ...other than the islands defences themselves.....which I fear will fall woefully short....
Last turn I tried to run in a CA SAG to Bulla ....to kill his 2 damaged CVEs.....but his bombers chased me away.....though with little damage.........so
...this turn I ran in AAG 1 and it's untrained pilots.......who killed 3 AKs.......a SCer......and confirmed kill of one of the CVEs........aircaft losses were even....so good training for my pilots.......they will now retreat to Pelau...........





