What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Moderator: maddog986
- morvwilson
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
- Location: California
- Contact:
What is your favorite infantry rifle?
For me, it is the M-14, hands down. Good range, good rate of fire, knock down power and no jamming!
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson
Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
For me anything in the Bazooka caliber. Aiming is not so important with one of those!
- old man of the sea
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
- Location: Waynesboro, PA
- Contact:
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
hmmm, gotta be the M4
I love shooting them. Never had a jam either, but I clean it better than my 2 year old daughter. She likes to play in the dirt.
Two to the body, one to the head.
E
I love shooting them. Never had a jam either, but I clean it better than my 2 year old daughter. She likes to play in the dirt.
Two to the body, one to the head.
E
"Point me to a 'civilised' part of the General Forum and I'll steer way clear of it." - Soddball
Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun, but I never have been able to make out the numbers.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Hello...
Loved the Springfield M1A1 (M-14). Did not like switching to the Armalite Rifle, Model 15 (M-16). The .223 is a varmit round.
Bye...
Michael Wood
Loved the Springfield M1A1 (M-14). Did not like switching to the Armalite Rifle, Model 15 (M-16). The .223 is a varmit round.
Bye...
Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: morvwilson
For me, it is the M-14, hands down. Good range, good rate of fire, knock down power and no jamming!
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
G-3, best inf rifle on the planet. You can swim with it, drag it through mud, beat stuff to trash with it and it still works. Remove four simply steel bolts an it is ready to disassemble. Easy to fix and clean.
-
sapper_astro
- Posts: 298
- Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:10 pm
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Having only used F88 AusSteyr's and Armalites (I am a combat engineer, so we don't really use a lot of 'that' kind of hardware), Its a case of devil or the deep blue sea.[:D]
Both of them jam till they drop, hate mud, and generally give plenty of annoyance. They have done the job though, so I guess they are ok.
My sentimental favourite has to be the Lee Enfield .303 SMLE.
Both of them jam till they drop, hate mud, and generally give plenty of annoyance. They have done the job though, so I guess they are ok.
My sentimental favourite has to be the Lee Enfield .303 SMLE.
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
G-3, best inf rifle on the planet. You can swim with it, drag it through mud, beat stuff to trash with it and it still works. Remove four simply steel bolts an it is ready to disassemble. Easy to fix and clean.
Gotta agree with that one. The M-16 (or C-7, in our case) is just so flimsy...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- morvwilson
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
- Location: California
- Contact:
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
My memory on the G-3 is a little fuzzy. Did it fire 7.62mm or 5.56mm? (personally I prefer the 7.62mm aka .308 out here)
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson
Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
- Marc von Martial
- Posts: 5292
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Bonn, Germany
- Contact:
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
ORIGINAL: morvwilson
My memory on the G-3 is a little fuzzy. Did it fire 7.62mm or 5.56mm? (personally I prefer the 7.62mm aka .308 out here)
7.62
- rhondabrwn
- Posts: 2570
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:47 am
- Location: Snowflake, Arizona
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Love & Peace,
Far Dareis Mai
My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics
Far Dareis Mai
My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Original post - M-14 rifle hands down.
I've fired (or owned) all of those mentioned and quite a few more. I was issued the M-16A1.
The G-3 (or H&K 91 as it's known in the States) just dosen't have the sighting-in accuracy with iron sights. M-16 (or any 5.56/.223) lacks the stopping power and range.
The Russian SVT-40 is a close second, never cared much for the AK-47s overall.
I want to try a Dragunov...
The M-1 Garand is wonderful, but I would take the M-14 for magazine capacity...and feel.
B
I've fired (or owned) all of those mentioned and quite a few more. I was issued the M-16A1.
The G-3 (or H&K 91 as it's known in the States) just dosen't have the sighting-in accuracy with iron sights. M-16 (or any 5.56/.223) lacks the stopping power and range.
The Russian SVT-40 is a close second, never cared much for the AK-47s overall.
I want to try a Dragunov...
The M-1 Garand is wonderful, but I would take the M-14 for magazine capacity...and feel.
B
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]


- Attachments
-
- mg4.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 877 times
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
Ya'but, ..ya'but isn't still a .223?[X(]ORIGINAL: Terminus
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]
![]()
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
One last comment on modern assault rifles like the 'sweet 16';
One day in the field I witnissed a 'disagreement' break out between two members of my platoon.
Soldier 'A' decided to settle the argument in gentlemanly fashion by butt-stroking soldier 'B' with his M-16. Whereupon soldier 'B' blocked it with his arm, and proceeded to punch soldier 'A' in the kisser...this did settle the difference of opinion.
My point is that had they been carrying a rifle of wood and steel, the butt-stroke would have sufficed in the first instance.
My father, in Korea, had to engage in hand to hand combat on several occasions - so I am satisfied that the need for a sturdy rifle is as important as it ever was.
B
One day in the field I witnissed a 'disagreement' break out between two members of my platoon.
Soldier 'A' decided to settle the argument in gentlemanly fashion by butt-stroking soldier 'B' with his M-16. Whereupon soldier 'B' blocked it with his arm, and proceeded to punch soldier 'A' in the kisser...this did settle the difference of opinion.
My point is that had they been carrying a rifle of wood and steel, the butt-stroke would have sufficed in the first instance.
My father, in Korea, had to engage in hand to hand combat on several occasions - so I am satisfied that the need for a sturdy rifle is as important as it ever was.
B
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
ORIGINAL: Big B
Ya'but, ..ya'but isn't still a .223?[X(]ORIGINAL: Terminus
Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]
![]()
Yup... It's basically a G36 SAW...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
hehe...I've got both of those [:D]ORIGINAL: m10bob
'03 Springfield and 98k Mauser
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
ORIGINAL: Big B
hehe...I've got both of those [:D]ORIGINAL: m10bob
'03 Springfield and 98k Mauser
You dawg!!!!![:D]

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
I'll post the only one I own: US Rifle Musket Model of 1861, Springfield Armory Manufacture [:D]
Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).

Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.
BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.
Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).

Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.
BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?
DeWALT Armory/M4/Weekend Warrior Mod


- Attachments
-
- dewalt16batt.jpg (544.22 KiB) Viewed 877 times








