What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Ursa MAior »

G3A3. The grandfather of all.
Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

I'll post the only one I own: US Rifle Musket Model of 1861, Springfield Armory Manufacture [:D]

Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).

Image

Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.

BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.


I want one!
Image

User avatar
hueglin
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:03 pm
Location: Kingston, ON, Canada

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by hueglin »

Terminus: Gotta agree with that one. The M-16 (or C-7, in our case) is just so flimsy...

Are you talking about the Canadian made C-7? If so I wasn't aware it was sold outside of Canada.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by DuckofTindalos »

Well, they are... It's the Danish Army rifle, and that's why I've used it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Original post - M-14 rifle hands down.

I've fired (or owned) all of those mentioned and quite a few more. I was issued the M-16A1.
The G-3 (or H&K 91 as it's known in the States) just dosen't have the sighting-in accuracy with iron sights. M-16 (or any 5.56/.223) lacks the stopping power and range.

The Russian SVT-40 is a close second, never cared much for the AK-47s overall.
I want to try a Dragunov...
The M-1 Garand is wonderful, but I would take the M-14 for magazine capacity...and feel.

Actually it is not only the accuracy what makes a good inf rifle, but the reliability on the field, hence my take on the G3. Considering the fact that in the standard inf vs. inf firefight you only aim in the "general direction" to suppress the enemy. The killing is done on closer ranges. And there the less accurate iron sights (on ranges beyond 300m) of the G3 do not matter. You can beat a foe to death with it and it still will be possible to aim with the rifle. And then its great handling and reliabilty even after you dragged it through tons of mud, water and what not.

The Druganov is a great rifle, but only for very special purposes, I would not call it a "standard inf rifle".

I have never fired the M-1, but from what I heard from other guys it is one of the best things out there, if you can handle it.
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Speaking of H&K (and sorry for the thread high-jack), they finally decided to manufacture a successor to the MG3. Only took them 60 years![:D]


Image


Yeah, grunts are becoming sissies these days [:D]. Nothing better to carry 11kg of metal, without the ammo [:D]
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

ORIGINAL: Big B

Original post - M-14 rifle hands down.

I've fired (or owned) all of those mentioned and quite a few more. I was issued the M-16A1.
The G-3 (or H&K 91 as it's known in the States) just dosen't have the sighting-in accuracy with iron sights. M-16 (or any 5.56/.223) lacks the stopping power and range.

The Russian SVT-40 is a close second, never cared much for the AK-47s overall.
I want to try a Dragunov...
The M-1 Garand is wonderful, but I would take the M-14 for magazine capacity...and feel.

Actually it is not only the accuracy what makes a good inf rifle, but the reliability on the field, hence my take on the G3. Considering the fact that in the standard inf vs. inf firefight you only aim in the "general direction" to suppress the enemy. The killing is done on closer ranges. And there the less accurate iron sights (on ranges beyond 300m) of the G3 do not matter. You can beat a foe to death with it and it still will be possible to aim with the rifle. And then its great handling and reliabilty even after you dragged it through tons of mud, water and what not.

The Druganov is a great rifle, but only for very special purposes, I would not call it a "standard inf rifle".

I have never fired the M-1, but from what I heard from other guys it is one of the best things out there, if you can handle it.
I actually own an M-1 Garrand. It is my favorite for home defence. The M-14 is basicly the same weapon but chambered for 308 instaed of 30-06 and has detachable mag. with more ammo. I happened upon my M-1 for $600! M-14's start at over double that. I would rather have the M-14, but $$$$$
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Ursa MAior »

No pun intended but how is a rifle suitable for home defense (except when you live in a ranch)?

Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

For me, it is just personal preference. I was never that good with a pistol. With a semi auto rifle, you can get away with hip shooting at close range if you have too. Also, I like the idea that if I have to shoot, one hit will take them down.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Ursa MAior »

Hell sure it will take them down. But what about if the bullet goes through? In my humble opinon a shotgun will also do (dunno whether auto shotguns are legal tho).
Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Raverdave »

The L1A1 SLR without a doubt. Loved it to bits and with a bayonet on the end it sure would make the bad guys think twice.
7.62mm destroys, while 5.56mm just aggravates.

Image
Attachments
l1a1_slr.jpg
l1a1_slr.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

ORIGINAL: Ursa MAior

Hell sure it will take them down. But what about if the bullet goes through? In my humble opinon a shotgun will also do (dunno whether auto shotguns are legal tho).

You are right Ursa, for high power rifles if you load full metal jackets the bullets will go through, if you load soft points the bullets flatten out when they hit their target and make a hole about the size of a pie plate. (These are usually the type of ammo used for hunting, the bullet will not go through all the energy is transferred to the target)

Shot guns definitely have their advantages, don't have to be a good shot for one. Just be sure you are loaded with 00 or 000 buck shot or slugs(if you are confident in your marksmanship). Bird shot will just make them angry!

Auto shot guns are legal in CA for now under certian conditions. If you like your firepower I think you have to live in Nevada or Kentucky where it is legal to own machine guns.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Ursa MAior »

I am afraifd none of these states have a well respected strategic research institute or a good university (like CalTech or Harvard) where I'd like to work after graduating. [:(]
Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

After establishing citizenship, establish residences in both the state in which you work and the other where you want to have your machine gun[8D]!
 
Just remember one thing, most machine guns fire about 600 rounds per minute. At $1 per round, that adds up fast!
 
I actually find that when I take out my bolt action rifles or black powder I don't fire nearly as much ammo as when I take out a semi auto.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Ursa MAior
Posts: 1414
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 am
Location: Hungary, EU

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Ursa MAior »

OKay we can talk about this after Jan 2008 earliest!
Image
Art by the amazing Dixie
deterrumeversor
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:20 pm

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by deterrumeversor »

Once upon a time 4 countries went to war:
Germany, who went to war with an outstanding hunting rifle...The Mauser
America, who went to war with an excellent target rifle ..........The Springfield 1903
Britain, who went to war with the best battle rifle...................The Lee Enfield
Russia, who went to war with .......... a club...........................The Mosin Nagant
 
God I love my clubs...lol...Nearly indestructable, you can get extreme accuracy with them. This is obviously luck of the draw considering that they have been in use for over 100years by Soviet conscripts or worse; who may or may not have cleaned or cared for them...Bolt action, 7.62x54r, with ballistics like the 30-06. Used in combat from 1891 to present (albeit in 3rd world countries anymore) with only minor variations to the sights, stock, and barrel length. They have been used in every major conflict around the globe. I have several whose receivers date back to 1895 and 1897, and rebarreled in 1927, and 1942 with 1 1/2 - 2 inch groupings at 100 yds.
User avatar
gunny
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:47 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by gunny »

FN FAL best darn rifle in the free world, from 1950-something to 1980-something.

Sorry folks but the belgians have the proven track record for making the most reliable small arms and mg's.
User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Mundy »

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

I'll post the only one I own: US Rifle Musket Model of 1861, Springfield Armory Manufacture [:D]

Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).

Image

Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.

BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.

Gotta agree with you on this one. I've had the same one as yours for 2 years now. At 200 yds, I can regularly hit a 2 ft gong target with it. It seems to take several seconds to hear it.

I didn't go all out to have it defarbed, though. Are you a skirmisher or reenactor?

Last year I bought an Armisport 1842 Springfield (The rifled one). There's something about throwing a 730 grain .685 minie downrange.

Here's where I've bought mine:

http://www.regtqm.com/

Looks like prices have climbed since then.

I actually enjoy shooting the muskets the most. Not that I'm rejecting anything more "modern". I own an AR-15 (set up like a standard a2), One Turkish mauser, one No 4 Enfield, Two Mosin Nagants (M90/33 and M44), and a Yugo SKS. Overall I like WWII and earlier.
Image
User avatar
shunwick
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:20 pm

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by shunwick »

cough ... the SA80 ... cough

Best wishes,

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
User avatar
Tankerace
Posts: 5408
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK, United States

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Tankerace »

I'm putting together a reenacting kit, but I wanted to get the musket first because I also have an interest in old weapons. RQ is where I bought mine too, cost me $699 without sling and bayonet. I've been wanting to get a Model 1842, but I'm leaning to a smoothbore just to see what I can do with 'buck and ball' ammo. Hopefully later this year I can get a Model 1842, that is if a Pedersoli flintlock doesn't catch my eye (cough 1795 Springfield cough) [:D]

ORIGINAL: Mundy

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

I'll post the only one I own: US Rifle Musket Model of 1861, Springfield Armory Manufacture [:D]

Ok a replica but still... Mine can throw a .575cal Minie Ball pretty far down range, and accurately to boot (except that it pulls upward).

Image

Barring that, I'd settle for my second favorite I want to get, a 1903 Springfield (though either a Mk I or A1, not an 03-A3.

BTW my Springfield is a EuroArms that has been defarbed by the guys at James River Armory.

Gotta agree with you on this one. I've had the same one as yours for 2 years now. At 200 yds, I can regularly hit a 2 ft gong target with it. It seems to take several seconds to hear it.

I didn't go all out to have it defarbed, though. Are you a skirmisher or reenactor?

Last year I bought an Armisport 1842 Springfield (The rifled one). There's something about throwing a 730 grain .685 minie downrange.

Here's where I've bought mine:

http://www.regtqm.com/

Looks like prices have climbed since then.

I actually enjoy shooting the muskets the most. Not that I'm rejecting anything more "modern". I own an AR-15 (set up like a standard a2), One Turkish mauser, one No 4 Enfield, Two Mosin Nagants (M90/33 and M44), and a Yugo SKS. Overall I like WWII and earlier.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”