
From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Chink in the armour
After a previous Royal Navy raid off Sumatra, there are now apparently search planes at Aceh and Andaman has been beefed up with recon. The Junyo and likely 2 CVL's appear to be at Koepang after torturing and killing Captain Steubing in the Indian Ocean. They can almost ceratinly not make it to the battle area in time, which leaves land based air from the big bases in Malaysia and Palembang and also Bettys and Nell bombers from Moulemein and Rangoon. Oh well, can't make an omelette without breaking a few egg, eh Monsieur. Palembang has aircraft, strength unkown, Malaysia and Singapore have none? Java has fallen, so it is about time for some troopships to be heading to Rangoon.


- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 801 times

- USSAmerica
- Posts: 19211
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
- Location: Graham, NC, USA
- Contact:
RE: Picking sides
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Captain Onslow (Capt. of HMS Hermes): What about Hermes? You forgot about Hermes.
Captain La Bisset: <turns to Phillips> Sir, we don't have to take Hermes with us, do we? She is always slowing us down.
Captain Onslow (Capt. of HMS Hermes):We have been working on that. I'm sure we can do it. We ALWAYS have to stay behind.
Adm. Phillips: That's not true Capt., you went along on the last sortie. The return to Ceylon nearly killed me. I'm afraid Capt. La Bisset is right.
Captain Onslow: Oh please! Please! Can we please go too.
Adm. Phillips: Captain! Get a hold of yourself man! My decision is final. You are needed for ASW duty.
Cpt. Onslow: Oh please! ASW duty is no fun. I promise we'll keep up.
Adm. Phillips: No means no! Don't make me stop this conference. you DO NOT want me to stop this conference.......
Cap, you are absolutely hilarious! [:D]
Mike
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
Thanks USS;
I had that fight with my daughters about 300 times. [;)]
The poor defenders of Pago Pago are caught in a Jap vise. Everything except Pago Pago from Canton to Noumea is under Jap control and they are getting pounded by Hyuga and friends. Marine SBD's and A-24's were secretly flown in from carriers during the Canton Raid, but the ground crews are busy fixing all the dents from the naval bombardments. We could comit the three remaining US carriers but it is only mid April and that might be a good way to lose the war. Personally, I'm pulling for Eddie, Enrico, J. Robert and the crew.

I had that fight with my daughters about 300 times. [;)]
The poor defenders of Pago Pago are caught in a Jap vise. Everything except Pago Pago from Canton to Noumea is under Jap control and they are getting pounded by Hyuga and friends. Marine SBD's and A-24's were secretly flown in from carriers during the Canton Raid, but the ground crews are busy fixing all the dents from the naval bombardments. We could comit the three remaining US carriers but it is only mid April and that might be a good way to lose the war. Personally, I'm pulling for Eddie, Enrico, J. Robert and the crew.

- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (352.29 KiB) Viewed 801 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
OK...I'm going to take a little break. I may need to come back to reality. I just threw away a perfectly good container of ricotta because it had a March 17 expiration date [:o]
I was cleaning out the fridge when I chanced upon the ricotta after doing some planning for my April 15 move. When I saw the expiration date I was really mad.."Crap, I just bought this stuff! No wonder it was discounted...its already 3 weeks old.... the clever bastards."
I told my son about it and he asked, "Yeah, so what's wrong with that?" After several perplexed seconds the full weight of my mistake struck me. So much for the lasagna. Looks like take out Pollo Loco tonight.
I was cleaning out the fridge when I chanced upon the ricotta after doing some planning for my April 15 move. When I saw the expiration date I was really mad.."Crap, I just bought this stuff! No wonder it was discounted...its already 3 weeks old.... the clever bastards."
I told my son about it and he asked, "Yeah, so what's wrong with that?" After several perplexed seconds the full weight of my mistake struck me. So much for the lasagna. Looks like take out Pollo Loco tonight.

RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way

Your real life is even funnier than your AAR sometimes... [:D]
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
Oh dear, oh dear... WitP-aholics Anonymous for you...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
So, it isn't trash day yet...
Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/view/staffmonkeys/home
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
So, you're eating at Crazy Chicken tonight?.....ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
OK...I'm going to take a little break. I may need to come back to reality. I just threw away a perfectly good container of ricotta because it had a March 17 expiration date [:o]
I was cleaning out the fridge when I chanced upon the ricotta after doing some planning for my April 15 move. When I saw the expiration date I was really mad.."Crap, I just bought this stuff! No wonder it was discounted...its already 3 weeks old.... the clever bastards."
I told my son about it and he asked, "Yeah, so what's wrong with that?" After several perplexed seconds the full weight of my mistake struck me. So much for the lasagna. Looks like take out Pollo Loco tonight.
I hope you haven't written any scrips lately.....
Yes, I am rooting for the Pago Pals myself; unfortunately, that's all we can do right now.
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
ORIGINAL: witpqs
So, it isn't trash day yet...
Dood, I can't say the thought didn't cross my mind, but do you realize what kind of trouble I could get into?
Here is the applicable section from the CC &R's (II-B), pg. 48

- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 801 times

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
Unfortunately, he probably isn't kidding... very much...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: American Samoa..Let's hope it stays that way
ORIGINAL: tabpub
So, you're eating at Crazy Chicken tonight?.....
I hope you haven't written any scrips lately.....
Yes, I am rooting for the Pago Pals myself; unfortunately, that's all we can do right now.
Thre really is a chain out here called Pollo Loco..they broil whole chickens (well...almost whole..they gut the thing and chop off the head and feet) on an open flame with some lime and ? marinade...absolutely delicious.
I should have talked it over first but I got tired of the progress so I deselected the thermal diffusion, centrifuges and calutrons (they weren't getting anywhere) and put Teller in charge. He was described as "brilliant but possessing quite possibly the most unruly eyebrows West of the Azores". Let's hope they come up with something.

- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 801 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Send help now
Whole lotta retreatin' goin' on heeya.


- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (194.58 KiB) Viewed 801 times

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Send help now
I'd say you're doing rather well in Burma, considering the date. Of course, that might be about to change...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Send help now
ORIGINAL: Terminus
I'd say you're doing rather well in Burma, considering the date. Of course, that might be about to change...
I was hoping to hold Mandalay until the historical date of loss (May 1) Looks like it won't happen. The Jap forays East and NW of Mandalay have me worried. If he attacks and holds the railine NE of Mandalay, then anyone left in Mandalay is cooked. The amount of air power he is throwing at Mandalay is just awe-inspiring. We shoot down 30 Zeroes and another 40 show up the next day. He also claims to have 40,000 fresh troops just off the boat from Java marching up from Rangoon. It could be a bluff...but then again???

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Send help now
Hmmm... It takes a LONG while to trek from Pagan to Imphal, and even if he's only going part of the way in order to surround Mandalay, you'll have some time...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Send help now
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Hmmm... It takes a LONG while to trek from Pagan to Imphal, and even if he's only going part of the way in order to surround Mandalay, you'll have some time...
Right...Imphal is not in immediate peril, a more proximate threat is a march across country to cut the rail to Myitkinia. This could easily take 10-14 d and I don't know yet what he has NW of Mandalay, but the threat is that he times the march to cut the rail with an attack by 3 or 4 divisions on Mandalay.

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Misperceptions
************13:40, April 16, 1942, 250 nm East of Midway Is.****************
Lt. Takahashi was tired, as were the entire crew of his G4M1 bomber. They were on the return leg of a long search mission from Midway. The weather was bad, thunderstorms and rain squalls. The job was monotonous. Only very few of the hundreds of search missions flown from Midway since it's capture from the Americans had spotted anything, one or two solo Allied merchantment and perhaps a couple of suspected submarines. Two planes from his group had been lost to weather or mechanical function and were never heard from again. What was the point? In the last two weeks, they had to endure two small B-17 raids from Hawaii, damaging a couple of seaplanes but not doing any real damage. If that was the best the Americans could manage, perhaps this really would be a short war.
On his 9 o'clock, between a small break in the clouds, he saw two ship wakes far below. He banked for a better look. Warships...2 destroyers..class unkown...headed North? Perhaps it was another rescue effort headed for the Phillipines? They were lost again. He completed one search loop. The weather was now solid and there wasn't fuel to spare. He ordered a plot for base and gave instructions to the radioman. Now the problem belonged to someone else.
Lt. Takahashi was tired, as were the entire crew of his G4M1 bomber. They were on the return leg of a long search mission from Midway. The weather was bad, thunderstorms and rain squalls. The job was monotonous. Only very few of the hundreds of search missions flown from Midway since it's capture from the Americans had spotted anything, one or two solo Allied merchantment and perhaps a couple of suspected submarines. Two planes from his group had been lost to weather or mechanical function and were never heard from again. What was the point? In the last two weeks, they had to endure two small B-17 raids from Hawaii, damaging a couple of seaplanes but not doing any real damage. If that was the best the Americans could manage, perhaps this really would be a short war.
On his 9 o'clock, between a small break in the clouds, he saw two ship wakes far below. He banked for a better look. Warships...2 destroyers..class unkown...headed North? Perhaps it was another rescue effort headed for the Phillipines? They were lost again. He completed one search loop. The weather was now solid and there wasn't fuel to spare. He ordered a plot for base and gave instructions to the radioman. Now the problem belonged to someone else.

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Counterblow
The Jap pressure heats up on Pago Pago, but the USN has a surprise up it's sleve.


- Attachments
-
- midway1.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 802 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Remote Reporting
Hello All;
I'm up at the 2007 Xena Warrior Princess convention in Burbank. As one of the activities, the promoters staged a LAN party with Lucy Lawless (Xena)taking on 20 challengers in a simultaneous exhibition of lightning Uncommon Valor. We were all playing the Coal Sea scenario. She would take a minute or two at each station, then move on. The opponents had until she made the rounds to get their turn done. She played the Japs, I guess she likes being the aggressor. Her first move was canned, but it seems she had several variations. Believe it or not, I was the only guy in the room, except for some of the techies. All the other opponents were women, and let me tell you, some of these chicks work out. Most were in Xena attire. Winners were given free VIP passes to the Dianh Shore Golf Classic in Palm Springs. I lost two carriers by the 4th turn and it was all sownhill from there, but she did sign my program. Xena won 18 of 20 games. We were all impressed. OK..gotta run. With a female to male ratio like this, I can tell I am going to have a blast. I will try to post later if I can get on again at one of the internet kiosks.
I'm up at the 2007 Xena Warrior Princess convention in Burbank. As one of the activities, the promoters staged a LAN party with Lucy Lawless (Xena)taking on 20 challengers in a simultaneous exhibition of lightning Uncommon Valor. We were all playing the Coal Sea scenario. She would take a minute or two at each station, then move on. The opponents had until she made the rounds to get their turn done. She played the Japs, I guess she likes being the aggressor. Her first move was canned, but it seems she had several variations. Believe it or not, I was the only guy in the room, except for some of the techies. All the other opponents were women, and let me tell you, some of these chicks work out. Most were in Xena attire. Winners were given free VIP passes to the Dianh Shore Golf Classic in Palm Springs. I lost two carriers by the 4th turn and it was all sownhill from there, but she did sign my program. Xena won 18 of 20 games. We were all impressed. OK..gotta run. With a female to male ratio like this, I can tell I am going to have a blast. I will try to post later if I can get on again at one of the internet kiosks.






