The Thread
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: The THREAD!!!
Just goes to show you that PHB's can kill you and should be shot first to prevent that from happening. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
RE: The THREAD!!!
Your email is now on the homeland security watchlist, scott. [:'(]
Spamming military addresses......
Spamming military addresses......
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: Mynok
I know exactly how you feel Nik. Let me share a story.
My wife and I were married in the summer of 1995. She was almost finished with her nursing degree in SC, and planned to complete it at a small college in the NC town where I was living and working at the time. Moved all her stuff up then went through the application and transfer process. Halfway through, her transcripts arrive and the college says "I'm sorry, but you'll have to retake all your chemistry courses", which in nursing means essentially starting over.
So she ends up having to move back to SC for a year to finish. I stayed in NC. When she finished up in early 1997, I found out that my company got bought. Since I didn't want to work for the new owners, I was on the hunt. The only ones available were either moving far away.......or traveling every week. The latter paid a lot more, so I took it. Leave Sunday night.....return Friday morning. Every week.
It wasn't funny at the time, but we do get a chuckle out of it now.
that does suck. GF unit went through similar to a smaller scale....had to retake all her criminal justice courses at her current college. all around sucky day
RE: The THREAD!!!
ohh no.... evilgenuis@evilgenius.comnet .........[:'(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me
Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !!
http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !!
http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
Sorry to hear that T. You've got to marvel at, if not admire, a boss that can suck the excitement and energy out of a job within two days. [8|] Start calling him Count Dracula. [:D]
I'm considering sending Scott Adams an e-mail about it. Maybe he can make a Dilbert comic out of it...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
ORIGINAL: Mynok
I know exactly how you feel Nik. Let me share a story.
My wife and I were married in the summer of 1995. She was almost finished with her nursing degree in SC, and planned to complete it at a small college in the NC town where I was living and working at the time. Moved all her stuff up then went through the application and transfer process. Halfway through, her transcripts arrive and the college says "I'm sorry, but you'll have to retake all your chemistry courses", which in nursing means essentially starting over.
So she ends up having to move back to SC for a year to finish. I stayed in NC. When she finished up in early 1997, I found out that my company got bought. Since I didn't want to work for the new owners, I was on the hunt. The only ones available were either moving far away.......or traveling every week. The latter paid a lot more, so I took it. Leave Sunday night.....return Friday morning. Every week.
It wasn't funny at the time, but we do get a chuckle out of it now.
that does suck. GF unit went through similar to a smaller scale....had to retake all her criminal justice courses at her current college. all around sucky day
I preferred to not live with my wife while she finished up without having to retake courses, vs living with her (and the associated frustration) while she did. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16757
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: scott1964
I sent it a wowway account...[X(] edit, sent to the mil email. [:)]
Got it, Scott. Wowway (home) account is still down due to that damn Bill Gates (the man who knows what's best for us) and his infernal machines. Hopefully, my damn PC will be fixed today.
I'll mess with it tonight on my laptop (another damn PC that's on it's last legs). [:'(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: Mynok
I preferred to not live with my wife while she finished up without having to retake courses, vs living with her (and the associated frustration) while she did. [:D]
regrettably, i have no choice for the moment. Course now its her turn to walk on eggshells.... i still want to ram my car into some administrator's Lexus.... [X(] [:@]
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: The THREAD!!!
And naked animal pics and nuns. [:D]ORIGINAL: Mynok
Expect spam from T shortly....... [:D]

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
- niceguy2005
- Posts: 12522
- Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
- Location: Super secret hidden base
RE: The THREAD!!!
Robert, I also read Feynmans book and yes he did harshly critisize NASA's "cultural problems." Thiokol was in error for recommending the flight go forward, but NASA accepted that recommendation because it is what they wanted to hear. Which IMO you could in turn trace back to the politicians and media who scrutinize NASA for scrubbing missions (thus running up the costs) due to bad weather, and other safety concerns.
I will look for it, but IIRC the o-rings were designed to operate within NASA's specs, which were exceeded on the mission, but the basic design principal was still flawed. There were many other design options which would have produced a more robust design, but were decided against on the basis of ease of manufacture...not necessarily a bad decision until you consider the consequences of a catastrophic (sp?) failure. This is why say a civil engineer would design a bridge to a tolerance twice as high as the worst case expected, because you never really can predict the worst case scenario.
Plenty of blame to go around on that one.
My professors point would be proven twice over. Don't generate a faulty design and for goodness sake understand that rubber becomes less maliable at lower temperatures...that's like chem 101.
I will look for it, but IIRC the o-rings were designed to operate within NASA's specs, which were exceeded on the mission, but the basic design principal was still flawed. There were many other design options which would have produced a more robust design, but were decided against on the basis of ease of manufacture...not necessarily a bad decision until you consider the consequences of a catastrophic (sp?) failure. This is why say a civil engineer would design a bridge to a tolerance twice as high as the worst case expected, because you never really can predict the worst case scenario.
Plenty of blame to go around on that one.
My professors point would be proven twice over. Don't generate a faulty design and for goodness sake understand that rubber becomes less maliable at lower temperatures...that's like chem 101.


Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
RE: The THREAD!!!
My professors point would be proven twice over. Don't generate a faulty design and for goodness sake understand that rubber becomes less maliable at lower temperatures...that's like chem 101.
Well, i think the engineers were well aware of the second problem - as for the first, i think they were aware of that as well, which is why i included this quote: "estimates of reliability offered by NASA management were wildly unrealistic, differing as much as a thousandfold from the estimates of working engineers. "
From reading the description of the Challenger disaster, some horrible never before and never since conditions applied at the time of the launch - cold temp, and the shuttle was hit with the strongest windshear ever recorded in the program at the moment of disaster. If you have overestimated your safety factor by a factor of 1000 or so, when things go wrong horrible events will follow.
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16757
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
And naked animal pics and nuns. [:D]ORIGINAL: Mynok
Expect spam from T shortly....... [:D]
ohboyohboyohboyohboy....... [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Rambo Log!
make it naked animals with guns.
lots of guns.
lots of guns.
RE: The THREAD!!!
ORIGINAL: Mynok
And Dixie is most likely to have actually taken the shot! [:D]
Morning tithe........
Not that shot, but I HAVE seen some interesting photos from our 'colleagues' from 216 Sqn. They've busted one of their jets, whilst landing at Kandahar. Apparantly they just before touching down, they bounced and hit the runway again, smashing the middle engine on the ground [:D]
It's a bit of a mess now, and they're a fair way from home too...[:D]
[center]
Bigger boys stole my sig

Bigger boys stole my sig
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16757
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Rambo Log!
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
make it naked animals with guns.
lots of guns.
Even better. [;)]
Created by the amazing Dixie
RE: Rambo Log!
and a bazooka....
RE: Rambo Log!
And grenades...[:'(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me
Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !!
http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !!
http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
RE: Rambo Log!
well i just received an update from the program administrator. grr.....typical answer... ("its not OUR requirement....it's the other college participating in the program with us!" and "I understand it's frustrating, but things have to change at some point!")
oh thanks....i've just been working my ass off for a year just to get on a stinking wait list. Only small flicker of hope is that she said she'd pursue it with the other college's administrator to see if an exception can be made. I don't have high hopes.
Hope my cubicle neighbors in dead-end job city like Skinny Puppy, cuz i'm crankin the tunes very LOUD right now.....the music fits my mood perfectly..... [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]
oh thanks....i've just been working my ass off for a year just to get on a stinking wait list. Only small flicker of hope is that she said she'd pursue it with the other college's administrator to see if an exception can be made. I don't have high hopes.
Hope my cubicle neighbors in dead-end job city like Skinny Puppy, cuz i'm crankin the tunes very LOUD right now.....the music fits my mood perfectly..... [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]
- Mike Solli
- Posts: 16757
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku
RE: Rambo Log!
ORIGINAL: scott1964
And grenades...[:'(]
Grenades make a satisfying bang. Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to throw them far enough so you're outside their blast radius. [:(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Thread!
Time to switch to becoming an RN. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown







