The Thread

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
I know I'm strange, but the tropics just don't appeal to me. I like cool weather.

Well, Mars is cold compared to Earth... [:'(]

Where in NC do you currently reside??

EDIT: Was it near Davidson?

Durham.

Ah, my old stompin' grounds - was at Duke for 4 years, living in and around Durham then. i spent another 10+ years in the southern part of the state, frequently traveling back up to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area on weekends.
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Yep. I think some people get them thinking "Oh good this will make me go out to the park and run". What ends up happening is after two weeks they end up back on the couch and the dog gets no excercise. It's only a good match if the person is already out running or whatever.

I think Dixie has BCs also, I'm not sure what he does to keep them sane.

They get daily walks, and a lot of training. On days I'm working m wife walks them around the married quarters where there are plenty of grass areas for them to run on. When I'm off work I'll try to take them to a large field/dog walking area just out of town. That's usually about a 4 mile walk if we drive there, or 6-7 if we walk it. There's also a stream for them to play in if the weather's OK.
I've also spent a bit of time training them. The eldest has been taught sign language commands and a few different whistles. It doesn't take long to train her, about 5-10 minutes is all it usually needs. The youngest either isn't as smart, or isn't as interested in learning stuff and usually it takes her a little longer, she still hasn't learnt how to woof on command after 4 months (stupid dog [:@])
They also have two big boxes full of toys to play with (or destroy if you're the youngest one [:)])

Generally I can't complain too much about our two. The eldest was a bit of a tearaway hen she was a pup, and actually reduced my wife to tears on more than one occassion, but she's always been 'my' dog as far as the dog's concerned and has been pretty good for me. The youngest has recently (touch wood) stopped chewing the post, I don't think she likes our postie at the moment too much, she also seems to have stopped digging in the back garden.

The problem with BCs seems to be more with the owners than the dogs. As you know they will destroy everything within reach if they are left, our eldest chewed 2/3 of the way through my Mum's kitchen wall, even going through a wire mesh plate inside the wall. If you can keep them interested they're fantastic dogs, and incredibly clever (too clever?)
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Bummer. [:(]

12 hour night shift. It's either going to be quiet which will mean uber-loads of paperwork but no 'real' work [:@]. Or fairly busy which means a bit of 'real' work and different paperwork, followed by the earlier uber-loads of paperwork [:@]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Dixie
The problem with BCs seems to be more with the owners than the dogs. As you know they will destroy everything within reach if they are left, our eldest chewed 2/3 of the way through my Mum's kitchen wall, even going through a wire mesh plate inside the wall. If you can keep them interested they're fantastic dogs, and incredibly clever (too clever?)
Yes, but they make excellent side kicks for an evil genius.

My current BC was terrible when he was an adolescent (i got him from the shelter at 10 months old). It was brutal the first 3-4 months as I was finishing grad school and by that time single. I wasn't prepared for just how bad things could get. He ate everything. He's claustrophobic so I didn't want to crate train him. I tried keeping him confined to the bathroom only to get a call from my neighbors that water was draining down into their apartment from mine. [8|] I arrived home to find a soaking wet and thoroughly pissed off dog that he had chewed through the wire mesh flex-tube houses that went to my claw foot tub, water was spraying everywhere and he was in the process of chewing through the wall to get out. [X(]

After that, claustrophobia or not he went into a crate when I was gone and the problems were solved. After about 4 months of that he was over the chewing and the crate is gone.

I find too that he is a quick train. He either gets it in the first 5 to 10 minutes (usually the case) or he never will. And he's stubborn. If he decides he's not doing something nothing on heaven or earth is going to change his mind.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005
I find too that he is a quick train. He either gets it in the first 5 to 10 minutes (usually the case) or he never will. And he's stubborn. If he decides he's not doing something nothing on heaven or earth is going to change his mind.

That sound familiar. Especially when there's something interesting happening just over there...[:D]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

You need a visit from Cesar... [:D]

Chennelle is enough thx....

that and a STUPID CAT!!!!!!!!!!

speaking of which.....i beat my cat toss record last night. We moved into our new place last night. Having retrieved my brand new iPod from the old temp condo, i entered the new domisile and placed the pod on a box temporarily in a bedroom while i helped unpack some stuff in the living room. Several minutes later i enter the room to catch the STUPID CAT red[pawed] munching away at my iPod headphone wires. Grabbing said cat by the scruff of it's neck i began pulling it out into the living room when it preceeded to start biting me. One large overhead toss later, STUPID CAT is airborne and goes skidding across the living room floor. I then proceeded to beat the STUPID cat some more for biting as well as ruining in two minutes FLAT it's fifth pair of headphones....and scored two points by throwing it into it's cat carrier.

Nothing but net.

[:o]

FREE.....honest. take it.


[X(] [X(]

What is it with that cat and headphones??? [&:]

I have 4 cats. Three of them couldn't care less about cords/headphones, etc., the the last one will eat every cord in the house except power cords. I keep hoping.....
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I am having a hell of a time at work with some graphics for a presentation. Anybody know of a freeware, or very cheap program for converting raster to vector graphics?

I just read the above as "Wa wa wa wa waaa....."
[&:]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Morning Dixie [;)]...we must be on opposite sides of the worl. Its only 10 AM here. [:)]

Either that or Dixie is working the night shift again.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Dixie

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

Morning Dixie [;)]...we must be on opposite sides of the worl. Its only 10 AM here. [:)]

It's about 1700 here, and I still haven't gone to work for the day [:(]

See? Told ya so.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I am having a hell of a time at work with some graphics for a presentation. Anybody know of a freeware, or very cheap program for converting raster to vector graphics?

I just read the above as "Wa wa wa wa waaa....."
[&:]
I'm assuming you are referring to the terms raster and vecotr...and that it wasn't just my typing or spelling that was the problem. [:D]

They are 2 types of graphical representation schemes. I don't know much about them. I think raster graphics store the information on an XY grid, i.e. location 1,0 may get a dot and location 1,1 doesn't. Location 1,2 gets a dot and so on. Vector graphics still use an XY gird but they define a point on that grid as a vecotr from some location. For instance a circle would be drawn by a vecotr that is r in length and point from some central point. The purpose of Vecotr graphics is to allow lossless scaling of images. Most CAD drawings use a vecotr graphics scheme...also GIS drawings I think. The reason raster doesn't resize well is because it takes a smart program to figure out how to translate a 640x520 grid into say a 100x80 grid. The program doesn't know what pixels to fill in where.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I am having a hell of a time at work with some graphics for a presentation. Anybody know of a freeware, or very cheap program for converting raster to vector graphics?

I just read the above as "Wa wa wa wa waaa....."
[&:]

as in Charley Brown's mother or teacher?? [:D]
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mynok »


Or the wife in Rant Mode (TM). [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I am having a hell of a time at work with some graphics for a presentation. Anybody know of a freeware, or very cheap program for converting raster to vector graphics?

I just read the above as "Wa wa wa wa waaa....."
[&:]
I'm assuming you are referring to the terms raster and vecotr...and that it wasn't just my typing or spelling that was the problem. [:D]

They are 2 types of graphical representation schemes. I don't know much about them. I think raster graphics store the information on an XY grid, i.e. location 1,0 may get a dot and location 1,1 doesn't. Location 1,2 gets a dot and so on. Vector graphics still use an XY gird but they define a point on that grid as a vecotr from some location. For instance a circle would be drawn by a vecotr that is r in length and point from some central point. The purpose of Vecotr graphics is to allow lossless scaling of images. Most CAD drawings use a vecotr graphics scheme...also GIS drawings I think. The reason raster doesn't resize well is because it takes a smart program to figure out how to translate a 640x520 grid into say a 100x80 grid. The program doesn't know what pixels to fill in where.

Like I said, Wa wa wa wa wa....[:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

I am having a hell of a time at work with some graphics for a presentation. Anybody know of a freeware, or very cheap program for converting raster to vector graphics?

I just read the above as "Wa wa wa wa waaa....."
[&:]

as in Charley Brown's mother or teacher?? [:D]

Exactly!
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16764
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Mynok


Or the wife in Rant Mode (TM). [:D]

Yes, there's that too. [:(]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
niceguy2005
Posts: 12522
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm
Location: Super secret hidden base

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by niceguy2005 »

ORIGINAL: Mynok


Or the wife in Rant Mode (TM). [:D]
Wife or GF in rant mode is much higher pitched in my opinion. Tends to sound more like EEEE eeee EEEEE EEEEE eeeee.
Image
Artwork graciously provided by Dixie
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

LOG!

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

ORIGINAL: Mynok


Or the wife in Rant Mode (TM). [:D]
Wife or GF in rant mode is much higher pitched in my opinion. Tends to sound more like EEEE eeee EEEEE EEEEE eeeee.

when my GF unit goes into rant/spat mode.....I kennel myself.

User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: LOG!

Post by Nikademus »

i'm certain the rant has nothing to do with my habit of late of calling her "Condo-Nazi"

User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

i'm certain the rant has nothing to do with my habit of late of calling her "Condo-Nazi"


[:D] [:D] [:D]
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: The THREAD!!!

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

i'm certain the rant has nothing to do with my habit of late of calling her "Condo-Nazi"



OK - i'll bite - why did you call her "Condo-Nazi"??
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”