What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

User avatar
Mundy
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:12 am
Location: Neenah

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Mundy »

While I'm now fairly content with what I have, I wouldn't mind a flintlock sometime. I had been looking at the 1795 Springfield here

www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

I've been slowly accumulating kit over the past year. Managed to get a repro belt, cartridge box, etc. I wasn't sure how to rig up the shoulder strap to the cartridge box until I found a photo of an original. I wound up with a kepi for Christmas. I'm debating whether I want to order some insignia for it from RQ or not. I've been considering joining a skirmish group.

www.n-ssa.org

Unfortunately the nearest group is about 100 miles away. Skirmishing is probably easier on the barrel than Reenacting, since the bore gets scrubbed out with each shot.

ORIGINAL: Tankerace

I'm putting together a reenacting kit, but I wanted to get the musket first because I also have an interest in old weapons. RQ is where I bought mine too, cost me $699 without sling and bayonet. I've been wanting to get a Model 1842, but I'm leaning to a smoothbore just to see what I can do with 'buck and ball' ammo. Hopefully later this year I can get a Model 1842, that is if a Pedersoli flintlock doesn't catch my eye (cough 1795 Springfield cough) [:D]
Image
IandMe
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:14 pm

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by IandMe »

I've heard good things about modified AR-15's for jungle fighting and modified shotguns.

The M-14 was also considered a good weapon,but heavy.The original M-16 was hated,but over time grew into a good weapon with experience.
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Twotribes »

M1 Garand. I wouldnt mind an M-14 but never owned one. For in close work the M1 Carbine.

The m16a2 is a superb shooter. Never fired an M4.

From personal experience, I would rather hump a lightweight weapon with a lot of ammo that can hit what you aim at and canhurt or kill them. I dont "hump" anymore so have no need for a lightwieght weapon, the Garand and carbine are good pair, for target shooting and home defense.

I will point out you really dont want to fire to many non jacketed rounds through the garand, it isnt good for the weapon. Just get a carbine for "inside" work. The round is basicly a pistol round. It is semi automatic has 5 round, 10 round, 15 round and 30 round magazines and is FUN to shoot.

I dont like shotguns much but may again buy one. A slug is gonna pass through walls pretty well also though. I would suggest if you go with shotgun, you decide what you want it for, if you want a hunting weapon buy that type, if you want home defense, buy that type, or if you want both buy 2 shotguns, one of each.

Further I would recommend you buy a 12 gauge and if for home defense you have a mix of double 00 and slugs. I would further suggest if you have weapons for "home defense" you should own more than a couple rounds for said weapons.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
.50Kerry
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: a long dark river winding through the jungles....

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by .50Kerry »

Rifle?
 
I'd probably have to go with either the AR-180 or the M-39.
 
 
Anchors aweigh!

Image

Image
User avatar
Smead
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Smead »

From 1947 onward:

AK-47

General purpose, simple, reliable.

Compromise with 7.62 x39 regarding size of round and ammo weight.

User avatar
.50Kerry
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: a long dark river winding through the jungles....

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by .50Kerry »

ORIGINAL: Smead

From 1947 onward:

AK-47

General purpose, simple, reliable.

Compromise with 7.62 x39 regarding size of round and ammo weight.


The 7.62*39 has arcish ballistics....I wish there were a 6.5 intermediate compromise round of say 6.5*48 ish...ah well maybe soon in the new 6.8 round.
Anchors aweigh!

Image

Image
User avatar
Smead
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Smead »

ORIGINAL: .50Kerry

ORIGINAL: Smead

From 1947 onward:

AK-47

General purpose, simple, reliable.

Compromise with 7.62 x39 regarding size of round and ammo weight.


The 7.62*39 has arcish ballistics....I wish there were a 6.5 intermediate compromise round of say 6.5*48 ish...ah well maybe soon in the new 6.8 round.

Really I am thinking about the relatively short ranges that such a weapon is used at in most cases; say 0-150 meteres. Ballistics are forgivable at those ranges.

Ease of use and reliablity, with decent firepower gets my vote.




User avatar
.50Kerry
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: a long dark river winding through the jungles....

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by .50Kerry »

ORIGINAL: Smead


Really I am thinking about the relatively short ranges that such a weapon is used at in most cases; say 0-150 meteres. Ballistics are forgivable at those ranges.

Ease of use and reliablity, with decent firepower gets my vote.


then go with the AK-74 as a 'tweener....

Actually truth be told the Galil and the Valmet are tops amongst the AR as Reliable warhorse gang....

The 7.62*39 just has too varied an arc to allow an average marksman to look "good" the 5.56,5.45, and 6.8 family allow this.
Anchors aweigh!

Image

Image
User avatar
Smead
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Smead »

Is your approval of Western weapons suitable for the "General Discussion" forum??
 
 
User avatar
Doggie
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Under the porch
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Doggie »

Good point, as the Soviet made weapons are more "sincere" than the tools of the Capitalist oppressers.
 
The inventors and manufacturers of revolutionary weaponry such as the AK-47 labored for the good of mankind, seeking only to liberate the working class from the oppression of parasitic western democracies.  Eugene Stoner designed weapons in order to further his pursuit of filthy lucre.  
 
 
User avatar
.50Kerry
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: a long dark river winding through the jungles....

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by .50Kerry »

ORIGINAL: Doggie

Good point, as the Soviet made weapons are more "sincere" than the tools of the Capitalist oppressers.

The inventors and manufacturers of revolutionary weaponry such as the AK-47 labored for the good of mankind, seeking only to liberate the working class from the oppression of parasitic western democracies.  Eugene Stoner designed weapons in order to further his pursuit of filthy lucre.  


If we are going with "weapons and their innate intentions" I think the Nambu 94 must be classed as one of the greatest weapons in the world.

It was a downright pacifistic weapon. More likely almost to kill its user than his target, and capable of blowing off the pride and joy of Nippon with a mere slip in the mud. Hats off to you Kijiro Nambu for being on the leading edge of a massive cultural shift in Japanese thinking.

regards,
sven
Anchors aweigh!

Image

Image
User avatar
Smead
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:15 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Smead »

Japan only lost WW2 because of US warcrimes.
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Twotribes »

No, we cheated.... just go read some of the Civil War threads and you will quickly realize, for example, that we started cheating even back in the 1860's. I mean HOW DARE we actually use our superior numbers, manufacturing, research and economical base against anyone in a WAR.

I had a fellow Marine in the early 80's tell me point blank that the South won the Civil War. His logic being that since the Union cheated by having used these methods and because the South fought "honorably" they won and the North just "stole" the victory with historical lies.

If you doubt that there are people that think in these terms, go read some of the threads in the Civil War game ( Forge of Freedom) Forum. The designers admitted they made the game "balanced" so that either side could win by force of arms. When people point out there is no "historical" scenario with the correct economies, troop strengths, manpower levels, navies, ect ect. Posters respond with comments like " well I dont want an historical game, I want to be able to take what each side had and play what if" totally ignoring the previous statements that the South has been given so many advantages as to make that impossible without serious modification to the provided scenarios.

Further, the designers have decided to add an "historical" Scenario and there are still people insisting that this is a "waste" of time. Just as in here where a cadre of posters routinely try to silence one side while getting in their digs, there is a cadre in most of the game forums doing the same.

It would appear to be Human Nature at work.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
Tankerace
Posts: 5408
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK, United States

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Tankerace »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

No, we cheated.... just go read some of the Civil War threads and you will quickly realize, for example, that we started cheating even back in the 1860's. I mean HOW DARE we actually use our superior numbers, manufacturing, research and economical base against anyone in a WAR.

I had a fellow Marine in the early 80's tell me point blank that the South won the Civil War. His logic being that since the Union cheated by having used these methods and because the South fought "honorably" they won and the North just "stole" the victory with historical lies.

If you doubt that there are people that think in these terms, go read some of the threads in the Civil War game ( Forge of Freedom) Forum. The designers admitted they made the game "balanced" so that either side could win by force of arms. When people point out there is no "historical" scenario with the correct economies, troop strengths, manpower levels, navies, ect ect. Posters respond with comments like " well I dont want an historical game, I want to be able to take what each side had and play what if" totally ignoring the previous statements that the South has been given so many advantages as to make that impossible without serious modification to the provided scenarios.

Further, the designers have decided to add an "historical" Scenario and there are still people insisting that this is a "waste" of time. Just as in here where a cadre of posters routinely try to silence one side while getting in their digs, there is a cadre in most of the game forums doing the same.

It would appear to be Human Nature at work.

Why limit US "cheating" to the 1860s? Remember, in the 1770s, all good soldiers fought standing in line, blazing away volley after volley with their Brown Besses and Charlevilles. But those damnable Continentals, they wouldn't fight completely like regulars.

Proof that the Brits musta won, because George Washington did lose more battles than he won, when he chose to line his men up and fight muzzle to muzzle. It was a British win, but us stoopid rebels, having to cheat to win a war.

Don't even get me started on the Battle of New Orleans [:D]
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
User avatar
Doggie
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Under the porch
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by Doggie »

I see .50Kerry has read the same article I just read about the Nambu pistol in World War II magazine.[;)]
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

While I am not real fond of the 7.62x39 round, I do like the Russian designs. I own a Mosin Nagant model 1892 and an SKS. Both weapons are very easy to operate and clean. It appears to me that the designers had the soldiers in mind when they designed such sturdy weapons.
Of those two, I prefer the Mosin Nagant. Can't get the rate of fire out of it like you can a Lee Enfield or Mauser but it is just as accurate.
In the end, when I shoot the Mosin Nagant, I do not spend nearly as much on ammo as I do with the SKS.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by bradfordkay »

" Don't even get me started on the Battle of New Orleans "

Yeah, using alligators as cannon has to be beyond the rules of warfare...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

And they broke into song!
 
In 1814 we took a little trip
along with Col. Jackson down the mighty misisip
We took a little bacon
and took a little beans
and we whooped the bloody british
in the town of New Orleans
 
We fired our guns and the british kepa comin
There wasn't nigh as many as the was a while ago
We fired once more and they commenced to runnin
Along the misisipi to the gulf of mexico
 
We fired our cannon until the barrel melted down
So we grabbed an alagator and we fought another round
We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind
When we touched the powder off
The gator lost his mind![:)][:)]
 
I remember listening to that song in the car with my father when is was 5 or 6 years old
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
tc237
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:29 am

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by tc237 »

Cotton Balers by God!
User avatar
morvwilson
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: California
Contact:

RE: What is your favorite infantry rifle?

Post by morvwilson »

They stepped so high
and they made the bugles ring
we stood beside our cotton bails
and didn't say a thing
 
we fired our guns and the british kepa commin
there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
we fired once more and they commenced to runnin
on down the missisip to the gulf of mexico![:D][:D]
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”