From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Remote Reporting
Uh-huh... Have you been at the weed again?[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Remote Reporting
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Uh-huh... Have you been at the weed again?[:D]
No...the landscaping is all done up front. My gardener does that. [;)]
OK...back from the Xena Convention. It was fun, but I completely struck out with the women. I am seriously bummed. When I got in my car I noticed I had some spinach on my tooth, but still, it seemed there was something else. Some indefinable qualtity was missing. The chemistry just wan't there. Maybe I'll try some cologne or something.
Heap big fights in Burma and the Central and South Pacific. Will try to post later tonight.

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Remote Reporting
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Uh-huh... Have you been at the weed again?[:D]
No...the landscaping is all done up front. My gardener does that. [;)]
OK...back from the Xena Convention. It was fun, but I completely struck out with the women. I am seriously bummed. When I got in my car I noticed I had some spinach on my tooth, but still, it seemed there was something else. Some indefinable qualtity was missing. The chemistry just wan't there. Maybe I'll try some cologne or something.
Yeah... or surgery...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Remote Reporting
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Yeah... or surgery...
Thanks. I'll look to that.
The Japs have landed at Samoa. They didn't expect the 2nd Marine Div and brought only 2 1/2 Divisions.

- Attachments
-
- untitled1.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 785 times

- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Remote Reporting
That could turn into a good fight...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Diversion
Meanwhile, up around Midway, the American "diversionary" or "make him think twice" attck gets rolling.


- Attachments
-
- untitled11.jpg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 785 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
The Admiralty
***********Eastern Fleet HQ, Colombo, Ceylon, April 18, 1942***********
<Adm Phillips, in desperation, and in violation of operational security, is speaking via shortwave with Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Dudley Pound in London>
Phillips: Yes, I realize it is unusual sir, but I consider it of the utmost importance. We've already sent Capetown and one Royal Navy destroyer, but I've only Australian destroyers at Karachi right now. I wonder if you might accept one of them sir, J-class they are, quite well maintained...over"
<pauses to listen, the response wables from atmospheric interference>
Phillips: Yes sir, I know your initial order was for one anti-aircraft crusier and 2 Royal Navy destroyers. Sir, I just wondered if you might consider. Over.
<resposne seems to grow louder>
Phillips: Yes sir. You are clear. No Australian dstroyers. I understand the PM doesn't want to hear anymore whining from them about diversion of resources from the defence of Australia. What would you say to a future draft pick...anything...Emerald perhaps at some future date? Over.
<response now even louder but still unintelligible to others in the room>
Phillips: Yes sir...I do realize the last battleship we sent back had a big hole in her hull, sir. It really couldn't be helped. Besides your order didn't specify a battleship without a hole in her hull. Over
<now very loud...Phillips winces and pulls the headphones away from his ear and one can just here.."look you cretin, I don't know how to make this...". Phillips puts the headphones back to his ear>
Phillips: Very well, sir. We shall send one of the P-class home. I'd like to say sir, I've enjoyed tremendously this chance to speak with you, but I did want to ask about the third fleet carrier you promised. When might we expect her sir? Over.
<now, an angry voice can be heard across the miles..."Phillips, if I could lay my hands on you right now I'd..." A loud pop and a brief orange flash emanates from the back of the shortwave set, followed by blue electrical smoke>
Phillips: <turns to aide> Well, I should say that went quite well, dont you think?"
<Adm Phillips, in desperation, and in violation of operational security, is speaking via shortwave with Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Dudley Pound in London>
Phillips: Yes, I realize it is unusual sir, but I consider it of the utmost importance. We've already sent Capetown and one Royal Navy destroyer, but I've only Australian destroyers at Karachi right now. I wonder if you might accept one of them sir, J-class they are, quite well maintained...over"
<pauses to listen, the response wables from atmospheric interference>
Phillips: Yes sir, I know your initial order was for one anti-aircraft crusier and 2 Royal Navy destroyers. Sir, I just wondered if you might consider. Over.
<resposne seems to grow louder>
Phillips: Yes sir. You are clear. No Australian dstroyers. I understand the PM doesn't want to hear anymore whining from them about diversion of resources from the defence of Australia. What would you say to a future draft pick...anything...Emerald perhaps at some future date? Over.
<response now even louder but still unintelligible to others in the room>
Phillips: Yes sir...I do realize the last battleship we sent back had a big hole in her hull, sir. It really couldn't be helped. Besides your order didn't specify a battleship without a hole in her hull. Over
<now very loud...Phillips winces and pulls the headphones away from his ear and one can just here.."look you cretin, I don't know how to make this...". Phillips puts the headphones back to his ear>
Phillips: Very well, sir. We shall send one of the P-class home. I'd like to say sir, I've enjoyed tremendously this chance to speak with you, but I did want to ask about the third fleet carrier you promised. When might we expect her sir? Over.
<now, an angry voice can be heard across the miles..."Phillips, if I could lay my hands on you right now I'd..." A loud pop and a brief orange flash emanates from the back of the shortwave set, followed by blue electrical smoke>
Phillips: <turns to aide> Well, I should say that went quite well, dont you think?"

- BrucePowers
- Posts: 12090
- Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm
RE: The Admiralty
I gave back one CL and 2 DD. I am keeping the rest. [:)]
The carrier has a big hole in the side anyway. Just ask Terminus[:D]
Actually it has 2 holes (one in the bow and 1 amidships)[:D][:D]
The carrier has a big hole in the side anyway. Just ask Terminus[:D]
Actually it has 2 holes (one in the bow and 1 amidships)[:D][:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Mandalay
10 days before the historical fall (May 1, 1942). Disaster, is at least avoided and the airfield is wrecked so it wont be much use to him.
************Mandalay Hill, Burma, April 20, 1942*****************
Brigadier Scoones, commander 16th Indian, stood atop Mandaly Hill, the dominating feature of the town and surveyed his brigade's field of operation. To the Southeast lie the diverted river, a dfensive feature built by the Royal Engineers to make the geography fit the map. Little good it did, despite all the hard work, as the main enemy threat was from the West, the 33rd Div and 300 tanks. He had been ordered to act as rearguard for the retreating Burma Corps and the Chinese troops in which he had little confidence. To his Northeast, 2nd Burma Rifles was holding open the gate as Japanese troops had moved up the trails to the Northwest of Mandalay and enveloped Lashio as well. With 1 or 2 more fresh Jap divisions being shipped up from Rangoon, SEAC had ordered the evacuation of Mandalay to new positions near Ledo. His job was to keep the retreat an orderly one. To the West, he could here his two-pounders engaging the enemy. They were being sacrificed to make the enemy deploy out of column. Tonight, they would give up the town.
Cool picture from Mandalay looking North..the retreat route

************Mandalay Hill, Burma, April 20, 1942*****************
Brigadier Scoones, commander 16th Indian, stood atop Mandaly Hill, the dominating feature of the town and surveyed his brigade's field of operation. To the Southeast lie the diverted river, a dfensive feature built by the Royal Engineers to make the geography fit the map. Little good it did, despite all the hard work, as the main enemy threat was from the West, the 33rd Div and 300 tanks. He had been ordered to act as rearguard for the retreating Burma Corps and the Chinese troops in which he had little confidence. To his Northeast, 2nd Burma Rifles was holding open the gate as Japanese troops had moved up the trails to the Northwest of Mandalay and enveloped Lashio as well. With 1 or 2 more fresh Jap divisions being shipped up from Rangoon, SEAC had ordered the evacuation of Mandalay to new positions near Ledo. His job was to keep the retreat an orderly one. To the West, he could here his two-pounders engaging the enemy. They were being sacrificed to make the enemy deploy out of column. Tonight, they would give up the town.
Cool picture from Mandalay looking North..the retreat route

- Attachments
-
- mandalayhill11.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 785 times

RE: Mandalay
To the West, he could here his two-pounders engaging the enemy.
Are these some of the much-maligned AT guns that were piling up earlier?? [:'(]
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Mandalay
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
To the West, he could here his two-pounders engaging the enemy.
Are these some of the much-maligned AT guns that were piling up earlier?? [:'(]
No, that was the 37mm of US manufacture. But, since you asked.
*******************Karachi Armory, Karachi, April 20. 1942*********
<Sub Lt. Lofton shook his head dismissively as he watched the Emprie Moonbeam being unloaded.>
Lofton: <he spoke, half to himself> Bloody silly name for a ship if you ask me.
Stevadore: Where do you want these 2 pounders, Sub. Lt?
Lofton:Line them up behind the others and cover the traverse mecahisms and breeches in packing grease. The first lot is already rusted. <He looked down at his clipboard, then spoke quietly again> That makes 486 in inventory and all of the Commonwealth forces in the Far East had only required 16 since the war started. Let's see, that's 16 in nearly 6 months of war...hmmm...this lot shold last till 1955 or so. Bloody pencil pushers. I shouldn't be surprised that the same lot who named a ship the Empire Moonbeam would order 15 years worth of obsolete anitank guns.

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Important safety tip
Ouch...that's going to leave a mark


- Attachments
-
- untitled1.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 785 times

RE: Important safety tip
....well, at least they were wearing clean underwear.....
I made sure of that much, before I sent them off on this Quixotic mission.
The commander of the AK TF that for 2 days refused to advance on Midway is being courtmartialed as I write this; his only defense was that he was ordered to Patrol/DNR and that he didn't know how to do that and kept turning south for PH. By the time that this error was caught and the orders changed to the more palatable Retirement Allowed, the die was cast and the 161st waded ashore with 40 rounds, a can of C rations and a roll of toilet paper per man; the toilet paper will be handy during captivity, we understand that the Japanese do not use it, as their feces don't stink......
Meanwhile, on other fronts.....back to your narrator....Cap....Cap? Now where did he get off too? Another Zena Convention?.......
I made sure of that much, before I sent them off on this Quixotic mission.
The commander of the AK TF that for 2 days refused to advance on Midway is being courtmartialed as I write this; his only defense was that he was ordered to Patrol/DNR and that he didn't know how to do that and kept turning south for PH. By the time that this error was caught and the orders changed to the more palatable Retirement Allowed, the die was cast and the 161st waded ashore with 40 rounds, a can of C rations and a roll of toilet paper per man; the toilet paper will be handy during captivity, we understand that the Japanese do not use it, as their feces don't stink......
Meanwhile, on other fronts.....back to your narrator....Cap....Cap? Now where did he get off too? Another Zena Convention?.......
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
RE: Important safety tip
As your japanese opponent(on holiday) it warms the cockles of one's heart to see tabpub still has a bit of practice in the fine art of Amphib ops to take before he really has the big ones to chew on.
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Important safety tip
ORIGINAL: tabpub
....well, at least they were wearing clean underwear.....
[:D]
BTW..I think you mean "Xena" not "Zena". Madame Zena is a fortune teller. I accidentally registered for her convention last year but I had to leave on the first day. I didn't bring any Gypsy clothes with me.

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Marivales
************Marivales Harbor, Bataan 09:30, April 23, 1942***********
<enemy 75 mm artillery rounds rain down on the harbor at a rate of 4 per minute. Not 300 yds to the east a pair of heavy machine guns try to keep the Japanese at bay. 2000 yds to the East, dozens of enemy motor launches churn toward Corregidor and have already been engaged by her guns>
Gen. Wainright: Get a hold of the General and tell him we will not be able to fall back to Corregidor. Tell him this is the major enemy effort we had feared, a simltaneous attack on the Bataan perimeter and Corregidor itself.
Major Illingworth: We can't reach him sir. The staff say she is getting dressed.
Gen. Wainright: Dressed? Did I not get the invitation to the dinner party? Keep trying!
*********Gen. MacArthur's quarters, Malinta Tunnel, Corregidor, 09:34, April 23********
MacArthur: Did you see to my accomodations, Rodolfo?
Rodolfo: Yes sir, you'll be traveling aboard USS Seawolf. The Captain has offered his quarters. Porpoise was our original plan, but they were having problems with the Captain's lavatory.
MacArthur: Good Lord. We can't have that. Well done Rodolfo. ..Oh, and my prunes? Are those aboard?
Rodolfo: Yes sir, one case. And I pressed an extra pair of slacks.
MacArthur: Excellent! I should like to give a speech then, before I depart.
Rodolfo: I'm not sure there is time for that sir. The Japs are already ashore on Corregidor.
MacArthur: Its the damnable supply situation. We could have held for 20 years with enough supply. I blame FDR and the Navy for not holding up their part of the bargain.
Rodolfo: Yes sir.
MacArthur: Very well, perpare the launch and tell everyone to fight on and that I shall come again or something like that. You know, the usual.
Rodolfo: Yes sir. Have a safe journey.
<enemy 75 mm artillery rounds rain down on the harbor at a rate of 4 per minute. Not 300 yds to the east a pair of heavy machine guns try to keep the Japanese at bay. 2000 yds to the East, dozens of enemy motor launches churn toward Corregidor and have already been engaged by her guns>
Gen. Wainright: Get a hold of the General and tell him we will not be able to fall back to Corregidor. Tell him this is the major enemy effort we had feared, a simltaneous attack on the Bataan perimeter and Corregidor itself.
Major Illingworth: We can't reach him sir. The staff say she is getting dressed.
Gen. Wainright: Dressed? Did I not get the invitation to the dinner party? Keep trying!
*********Gen. MacArthur's quarters, Malinta Tunnel, Corregidor, 09:34, April 23********
MacArthur: Did you see to my accomodations, Rodolfo?
Rodolfo: Yes sir, you'll be traveling aboard USS Seawolf. The Captain has offered his quarters. Porpoise was our original plan, but they were having problems with the Captain's lavatory.
MacArthur: Good Lord. We can't have that. Well done Rodolfo. ..Oh, and my prunes? Are those aboard?
Rodolfo: Yes sir, one case. And I pressed an extra pair of slacks.
MacArthur: Excellent! I should like to give a speech then, before I depart.
Rodolfo: I'm not sure there is time for that sir. The Japs are already ashore on Corregidor.
MacArthur: Its the damnable supply situation. We could have held for 20 years with enough supply. I blame FDR and the Navy for not holding up their part of the bargain.
Rodolfo: Yes sir.
MacArthur: Very well, perpare the launch and tell everyone to fight on and that I shall come again or something like that. You know, the usual.
Rodolfo: Yes sir. Have a safe journey.

RE: Marivales
MacArthur: . ..Oh, and my prunes? Are those aboard?
[:D] [:D] [:D]
EDIT: Good to see that some things remain constant in alternate universes... [:D]
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
USS Tambor
Just because we are getting sand kicked in our faces doesn't mean we don't kick back every once in a while.
USS Tambor has perhaps a record night.
Number 1:

USS Tambor has perhaps a record night.
Number 1:

- Attachments
-
- note1.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 785 times

- CarnageINC
- Posts: 2208
- Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
- Location: Rapid City SD
RE: USS Tambor
Where in the Hell have I been?!? [&:] This is an awesome AAR, I've never noticed your before Mandrake. Very cool maps [:D] I'll have to keep an eye on this one.
RE: USS Tambor
Mandrake can make you love even the bugs in the game [:D]





