Microsoft Vista
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Microsoft Vista
Nothing is guaranteed, but probably. Vista is built on the same Windows NT core that was used for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. There could be some weird incompatability, but I would expect it to work.
Bill
Bill
WIS Development Team
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: wdolson
Nothing is guaranteed, but probably. Vista is built on the same Windows NT core that was used for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. There could be some weird incompatability, but I would expect it to work.
Bill
I'm sorry but this really annoys me. The US Justice department in my (not really) humble opinion should have at he same time as the litigation wrt Sun Microsystems/bundling, also investigated whether or not both M$ and Intel were using their market dominance to max profits by incremental releases of stuff already in the box.
Surely the dissappointment of TOAW I, II etc blinking out on XP is not about to be repeated for WitP (and for the new MTOAW, by the way).
New OS and new chips have devolved from technical advances to marketing tools. Solution: Get a laptop for work, or study, or something tax deductible. Get WAP connected. Insure it in case you leave it in a cab after lunch. Buy a 1 Gig USB plug drive for transfers. Or a blue tooth to WAP from laptop to desktop. Keep your old desktop computer at home for your games.
Microsoft will have to start selling cell phones soon, or at least WAP palmtops that also function as digital TV receivers and cell phones on the side. At least Sun Micro has managed to jump them on that one.
"I am Alfred"
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: Ian R
I'm sorry but this really annoys me. The US Justice department in my (not really) humble opinion should have at he same time as the litigation wrt Sun Microsystems/bundling, also investigated whether or not both M$ and Intel were using their market dominance to max profits by incremental releases of stuff already in the box.
Surely the dissappointment of TOAW I, II etc blinking out on XP is not about to be repeated for WitP (and for the new MTOAW, by the way).
I run Windows 2000 on all my computers (I'm a software engineer). I think Windows XP is a waste of money, plus I hate Microsoft's new licensing scheme. With the XP/Vista licensing scheme, they can shut off your OS and force you to upgrade down the road. They have already forced some people to cough up another $80 for a new XP license with the "Genuine Advantage" BS they brought out last year. Infoworld magazine estimated, based on complaints, that about 10% of all legitimate installs of XP were flagged as pirated and disabled by Microsoft.
Philosophically, I like Linux better, but unfortunately Linux doesn't have a version of many of the tools I use, plus it's kind of impossible to develop software for Windows on Linux. The range of games is limited on Linux too. For example, there is no Linux version of WitP.
New OS and new chips have devolved from technical advances to marketing tools. Solution: Get a laptop for work, or study, or something tax deductible. Get WAP connected. Insure it in case you leave it in a cab after lunch. Buy a 1 Gig USB plug drive for transfers. Or a blue tooth to WAP from laptop to desktop. Keep your old desktop computer at home for your games.
Microsoft will have to start selling cell phones soon, or at least WAP palmtops that also function as digital TV receivers and cell phones on the side. At least Sun Micro has managed to jump them on that one.
Microsoft already tried going into the phone biz. I worked on the project. I spent almost a year there wondering what Microsoft was thinking. Our product was going to be more expensive than the competition and only offer some PC connectivity which I didn't see as that big a deal.
With technology like the Blackberry coming along, Microsoft might want to get back into the phone business, but they are going to be faced with the same problem they had back in the 90s when I worked there. There are already many very well known names in the phone device business. More than the market can support over the long haul.
Microsoft has seen the potential in this market and came up with Windows CE. Despite a heavy advertising campaign, CE had never gotten very far off the ground. My niche for many years was embedded systems (programming the CPUs on things like phones).
The whole approach to an operating system in that environment has to be different than a general purpose computer. You will always have less memory and less permenent storage than with a general purpose computer. Memory density has increased quite a bit, but you still don't have as much to work with in a Blackberry as you do in a Windows XP box. Additionally, you have limitations in the user interface you don't have with a regular computer.
Microsoft Windows has some very old code in it. Internally, it's a Frankenstein's monster. That's a major reason that they have such long delays getting the next version out. They change one thing and something else collapses. Because Windows is so old, it's also very inefficient in it's use of memory and other system resources. It's the Winchester House of programs.
Operating systems like Palm OS and other OSs written specifically for hand held devices are much more efficient than Windows. CE has too much Windows baggage and it never caught on. The hand held OSs have been growing with the technology and are better suited for it.
If Microsoft wanted to bite the bullet and hire a bunch of embedded programmers to completely rewrite Windows, it would probably be as efficient with memory and resources and as stable as Linux. The problem is that all of the hardware companys that depend on Microsoft bloat ware to push people into buying faster and higher capacity computers would go broke because people could pull out and dust off their old computers that have been sitting in the corner. Why buy a new PC for the new version of Windows when your old Pentium III will run it better than the last version of Windows ran on a new zippy 64 bit machine?
I deliberately live behind the technology curve. It's a lot cheaper and I can do everything I want to do.
Bill
WIS Development Team
- TulliusDetritus
- Posts: 5581
- Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
- Location: The Zone™
RE: Microsoft Vista
Wdolson, as for Linux Debian (I am a Debian user myself) you have like 9,000! [FREE, of course [8D]] programmes to choose. You may check that myriad of Debian packages. Maybe they already have what you need.
I only use Windows as a platform for games though.
I only use Windows as a platform for games though.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
RE: Microsoft Vista
I deliberately live behind the technology curve. It's a lot cheaper and I can do everything I want to do.
My sentiments exactly.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

RE: Microsoft Vista
I would not worry about switching to vista any time soon. Give it six months at least for all of the problems they missed to be addressed.
Former Marine
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
Retired Deputy Sheriff
Wargamer untill I die
RE: Microsoft Vista
Lucky you, Just finished a Vista x64 upgrade, (if I support it I better use it, plus it was free), I'll post any WitP problems I have.
RE: Microsoft Vista
Runs fine as an xpsp2 program under Vista x64
RE: Microsoft Vista
be sure to upgrade today!! [:'(]


- Attachments
-
- vista.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 469 times
- Roger Neilson II
- Posts: 1419
- Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:16 am
- Location: Newcastle upon Tyne. England
RE: Microsoft Vista
Ok, I'm about to enter the market for a new PC.... and obviously any I buy is likely to offer Vista as its O/S. Fine, but echoing the original question.... does WITP run under VISTA ok? Its a crucial question as its the biggest single item I spend time on my PC running.
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
Roger
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
Roger

RE: Microsoft Vista
*droolORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
[;)]

RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II
Ok, I'm about to enter the market for a new PC.... and obviously any I buy is likely to offer Vista as its O/S. Fine, but echoing the original question.... does WITP run under VISTA ok? Its a crucial question as its the biggest single item I spend time on my PC running.
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
Roger
Not necessarily, if you order a name brand you should be able get whatever OS you want or better yet no OS and just buy your OS retail. I do not know anything about Vista but if it's anything like XP was it will be Vista sp2 before it's worth a dimn.
Alternately you could have a local computer shop build you a computer with all the best parts that money can buy and with a warranty.
Btw I build my own computers, much better that way, you can pick and choose whatever you want in your computer for a lot less.
Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II
Ok, I'm about to enter the market for a new PC.... and obviously any I buy is likely to offer Vista as its O/S. Fine, but echoing the original question.... does WITP run under VISTA ok? Its a crucial question as its the biggest single item I spend time on my PC running.
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
Roger
Availablilty of operating systems always overlap. XP will remain available for at least a few months. If you're uncertain about Vista, get a new system with XP on it.
I wish I could do the dual monitor thing. I can't afford a 2nd monitor at the moment. Though I do have a video card built for two monitors, it's kind of light on video memory by today's standards. Now I'm thinking about how to rearrange my desk for a second monitor and another part of me is telling me to shut up, quit dreaming and get back to work...
Bill
WIS Development Team
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II
Also toying with a dual monitor (2x19"), how does anyone find running WITP in windowed mode but using the other monitor for spreadsheets, AAR stuff, screen grabs etc....
It'd be hard to go back to a single monitor set up for WitP now. Nuff said?
Bodhi
RE: Microsoft Vista
After much nashing of teeth and frustration of my opponents with wrong combat reports etc, running WitP as an xpsp2 program with admin privileges works just fine on x64. Whats annoying is the security features...[:D]
- Roger Neilson II
- Posts: 1419
- Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:16 am
- Location: Newcastle upon Tyne. England
- invernomuto
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
- Location: Turin, Italy
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: wdolson
Philosophically, I like Linux better, but unfortunately Linux doesn't have a version of many of the tools I use, plus it's kind of impossible to develop software for Windows on Linux. The range of games is limited on Linux too. For example, there is no Linux version of WitP.
That's one of the biggest reason I'm stuck with Windows. If just WITP worked with WINE [;)]!
- invernomuto
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
- Location: Turin, Italy
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
be sure to upgrade today!! [:'(]
![]()
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
- invernomuto
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
- Location: Turin, Italy
RE: Microsoft Vista
ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
Wdolson, as for Linux Debian (I am a Debian user myself) you have like 9,000! [FREE, of course [8D]] programmes to choose. You may check that myriad of Debian packages. Maybe they already have what you need.
I only use Windows as a platform for games though.
I am downloading Kubuntu (debian based KDE oriented linux distro) right now (3.2 gb OUCH!!!).
I use my PC mainly for:
Internet: for this area, there's Firefox, I already use it for windows. Ok
Development: wxDevCpp, Codeblocks for windows. Best Development suite for Linux?
Games: windows rules here...
Bye









