From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity
Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Halloween
***************Commanders' Quarters, SWPac HQ, Brisbane, 03:30, May 10, 1942**************
<There is a quiet knock on the front door. A Philippina answers it promptly. The men of Teikoku Rikugun are admitted without challenge. In the light of the anteroom, the Philippina examines the tall one. She is pleased. The likeness is very good, even remarkable. She is impressed with the skill of the surgeons.>
Philippina: Let me see your bottom <she says suddenly..to the surprise of all except her and the Cmdr., he complies, displaying either a tattoo or some kind of birthmark that looked remarkably like the island of Corregidor> Excellent! The General <she makes air quotes> is in the study. He is trying to break the world Bolo bat record. You 11 go along and see to the General. I wish to speak to this General <makes air quotes again..the main groups moves toward the study> OK, let me hear you say "old soldiers never die".
Cmdr: Ord sorjuhs nevuh die.
Philippina: No, I said, old soldiers never die.
Cmdr: <nods> Ord sorjuhs nevuh die.
Philippina: No, no no. Try this....OLLLLD
Cmdr: Orrrd
Philippina: No, no, no. Put your tongue a little more forward and make your mouth a little skinnier. Do you understand?
Cmdr: Yes.
Philippina: Very well. Let's hear it...OLLLLD
Cmdr: ORRRD.
Philippina: Oh dear.......
<There is a quiet knock on the front door. A Philippina answers it promptly. The men of Teikoku Rikugun are admitted without challenge. In the light of the anteroom, the Philippina examines the tall one. She is pleased. The likeness is very good, even remarkable. She is impressed with the skill of the surgeons.>
Philippina: Let me see your bottom <she says suddenly..to the surprise of all except her and the Cmdr., he complies, displaying either a tattoo or some kind of birthmark that looked remarkably like the island of Corregidor> Excellent! The General <she makes air quotes> is in the study. He is trying to break the world Bolo bat record. You 11 go along and see to the General. I wish to speak to this General <makes air quotes again..the main groups moves toward the study> OK, let me hear you say "old soldiers never die".
Cmdr: Ord sorjuhs nevuh die.
Philippina: No, I said, old soldiers never die.
Cmdr: <nods> Ord sorjuhs nevuh die.
Philippina: No, no no. Try this....OLLLLD
Cmdr: Orrrd
Philippina: No, no, no. Put your tongue a little more forward and make your mouth a little skinnier. Do you understand?
Cmdr: Yes.
Philippina: Very well. Let's hear it...OLLLLD
Cmdr: ORRRD.
Philippina: Oh dear.......

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Halloween
**********Study, CIC/SWPac, residence, 03:32, May 10, 1942*************
Number 1: Two hundred twenty eight, two twenty nine, two thrity <he skilfully bounces a rubber ball upward with a precise vector so that the ball, which is attached to one of the few remaining pieces of high quality rubber left in civilian industry (after the fall of the DEI), returns the ball back toward the paddle. Right after he hits number 230, the door swings open violently and 11 armed men fan out quickly all aiming their weapons at him. He is startled and the ball misses the paddle>
Damnit! Can't you guys knock? I was 15 short of the world record. Damnit! Damnit! <He scans the room> Dang..you guys all look like Japs. What gives? Oh wait..I get it. A costume party. I LOVE costume parties! Hey, isn't it kind of early for Halloween? Oh wait, I get it, its an Australian thing, right, because the seasons are all messsed up?
Group Leader: Put croth on mouth. <he looks toward a subordinate and motions toward their target>
Number 1: Two hundred twenty eight, two twenty nine, two thrity <he skilfully bounces a rubber ball upward with a precise vector so that the ball, which is attached to one of the few remaining pieces of high quality rubber left in civilian industry (after the fall of the DEI), returns the ball back toward the paddle. Right after he hits number 230, the door swings open violently and 11 armed men fan out quickly all aiming their weapons at him. He is startled and the ball misses the paddle>
Damnit! Can't you guys knock? I was 15 short of the world record. Damnit! Damnit! <He scans the room> Dang..you guys all look like Japs. What gives? Oh wait..I get it. A costume party. I LOVE costume parties! Hey, isn't it kind of early for Halloween? Oh wait, I get it, its an Australian thing, right, because the seasons are all messsed up?
Group Leader: Put croth on mouth. <he looks toward a subordinate and motions toward their target>

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeeet
*************Commander's Quarters, SWPac HQ, 14:30, May 10, 1942*************
<The Philippina has given up her Engrish lesson for now. She is at work on some paperwork in the anteroom. The door opens abrutply without a knock. She stands up abruptly in unfeigned astonishment>
Philppina: Mrs. MacArthur! I am very....surprised to see you.
Jean: <Jean returns the astonishment, which quickly begins to morph into a look of insatiable anger> Corazon! So it is you! After all I did for you. How could you do this to me? You, you.......HOMEWRECKER! <In an instant, her LadySmith is aimed at Corazon's head. The first round strikes her between the eyes. Unsated, Jean pumps round after round into the crumpled body until the gun is empty. She drops the gun and walks quickly into the kitchenette where she retrieves a large carving knife. She walks purposely back toward the living area. A shower is running. She steps into a bathroom. Through a sheer shower curtain she can see the silhouette of a man. On one buttock is the unmistable shape of Corregidor. She plunges the knife violently throught the curtain over and over again. I the background a chorus of violins sing an abrupt discordant "Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeet" in time with the blows. Blood mixed with water curls in an anticlockwise fashion down the drain. As she begins to walk away a big cockroach scurries across her path. She crushes it with her foot>
<The Philippina has given up her Engrish lesson for now. She is at work on some paperwork in the anteroom. The door opens abrutply without a knock. She stands up abruptly in unfeigned astonishment>
Philppina: Mrs. MacArthur! I am very....surprised to see you.
Jean: <Jean returns the astonishment, which quickly begins to morph into a look of insatiable anger> Corazon! So it is you! After all I did for you. How could you do this to me? You, you.......HOMEWRECKER! <In an instant, her LadySmith is aimed at Corazon's head. The first round strikes her between the eyes. Unsated, Jean pumps round after round into the crumpled body until the gun is empty. She drops the gun and walks quickly into the kitchenette where she retrieves a large carving knife. She walks purposely back toward the living area. A shower is running. She steps into a bathroom. Through a sheer shower curtain she can see the silhouette of a man. On one buttock is the unmistable shape of Corregidor. She plunges the knife violently throught the curtain over and over again. I the background a chorus of violins sing an abrupt discordant "Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeet" in time with the blows. Blood mixed with water curls in an anticlockwise fashion down the drain. As she begins to walk away a big cockroach scurries across her path. She crushes it with her foot>

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Failure
Not every entrepeneurial idea succeeds. An Allied plan to motivate Russian troops in Siberia for a possible Jap invasion goes awry. Still, all is not lost. There is the merchandising angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOaGgY2yUHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOaGgY2yUHw
- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Its that P-40 thing
My kingdom for more P-40's


- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Texas Leaguer
Jean comes out of this pretty well. She is rid of the old, two-timing goat, she is a heroine and she has a sweet endorsement contract.


- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (89.99 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Incoming
***************Aboard I-125, 05:05, May 10, 1942*******************
<The first phase of her mission accomplished, the I-125 creeps away from the Australian ocastline before dawn. Captain Ito is at the con. His prize cargo stands not 3 feet way, hands bound>
Number 1: Dang! When you guys throw a masquerade party you really go all out. This is top notch. Can I play too?
Captain Ito: This no game, General.
Number 1: Of course, that what I EXPECT you say. HAHAHAHAHA
Captain Ito: No rearry.
Number 1: HAHAHAHAH. 'Rearry'. HAHAHHA You guys are killing me!
Captain Ito: No, not yet.
Number 1: <winks at the Captain> WAIT! I sense danger! We are in mortal peril!
Captain Ito: What mean?
Number 1: <stiffles giggle> I mean a deadly peril approaches.
Captain Ito: <eyes widen> Periscope UP! <searches quickly through 360 degree arc> Periscope DOWN! Nothing. Your friends not come.
Number 1: Oh, its still coming. Ready....ready....BRAAAAAAAAP. HAHAHAHHAH. See what I mean? Deadly. HAHAHAHHA
Captain Ito: Put croth on mouth.
<The first phase of her mission accomplished, the I-125 creeps away from the Australian ocastline before dawn. Captain Ito is at the con. His prize cargo stands not 3 feet way, hands bound>
Number 1: Dang! When you guys throw a masquerade party you really go all out. This is top notch. Can I play too?
Captain Ito: This no game, General.
Number 1: Of course, that what I EXPECT you say. HAHAHAHAHA
Captain Ito: No rearry.
Number 1: HAHAHAHAH. 'Rearry'. HAHAHHA You guys are killing me!
Captain Ito: No, not yet.
Number 1: <winks at the Captain> WAIT! I sense danger! We are in mortal peril!
Captain Ito: What mean?
Number 1: <stiffles giggle> I mean a deadly peril approaches.
Captain Ito: <eyes widen> Periscope UP! <searches quickly through 360 degree arc> Periscope DOWN! Nothing. Your friends not come.
Number 1: Oh, its still coming. Ready....ready....BRAAAAAAAAP. HAHAHAHHAH. See what I mean? Deadly. HAHAHAHHA
Captain Ito: Put croth on mouth.

- USSAmerica
- Posts: 19211
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
- Location: Graham, NC, USA
- Contact:
RE: Incoming
Cap, you are a full on nut! [:D]
Keep it coming! This is so much fun to read!
Keep it coming! This is so much fun to read!
Mike
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett
"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
USS Florence
The volunteers aboard USS Florence were prepared to make a solo run for Iolio to pick up some trapped Philippino troops. They tarried too long waiting for a planned suppression raid on Amboina. It looks like the Junyo showed up. At least we know the Junyo isn't in the Bay of Bengal. Here is hoping they try a raid on Darwin. Darwin will fight back.


- Attachments
-
- untitled.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

RE: Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeeet
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Jean: <Jean returns the astonishment, which quickly begins to morph into a look of insatiable anger> Corazon! So it is you! After all I did for you. How could you do this to me? You, you.......HOMEWRECKER! <In an instant, her LadySmith is aimed at Corazon's head. The first round strikes her between the eyes. Unsated, Jean pumps round after round into the crumpled body until the gun is empty. She drops the gun and walks quickly into the kitchenette where she retrieves a large carving knife. She walks purposely back toward the living area. A shower is running. She steps into a bathroom. Through a sheer shower curtain she can see the silhouette of a man. On one buttock is the unmistable shape of Corregidor. She plunges the knife violently throught the curtain over and over again. I the background a chorus of violins sing an abrupt discordant "Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeet" in time with the blows. Blood mixed with water curls in an anticlockwise fashion down the drain. As she begins to walk away a big cockroach scurries across her path. She crushes it with her foot>
I've never met Mandrake but I feel like I should know what his silhouette looks like...

- Attachments
-
- alfred_hit.._profile.jpg (2.31 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeeet
ORIGINAL: qgaliana
I've never met Mandrake but I feel like I should know what his silhouette looks like...
![]()
Zounds! That does it. I have let myself go. I am going to throw out that can of Almond Roca candies I got in that gift basket. I shall toss the damnable confection out the Rear Window.

RE: Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeeet
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: qgaliana
I've never met Mandrake but I feel like I should know what his silhouette looks like...
![]()
Zounds! That does it. I have let myself go. I am going to throw out that can of Almond Roca candies I got in that gift basket. I shall toss the damnable confection out the Rear Window.
I take it, the Rear Window is North by Northwest, also the Birds should enjoy the Almond Roca.
Very Proud Marine Dad
RE: Eeeeeet Eeeeeet Eeeeeet
Was Corazon later reincarnated as the MacArthur's dog? The world wonders...


- Attachments
-
- Reincarnation b+w.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
LadySmith
Editor's note: As certain elements or the narrative are fictionalized to some degree, the reader should not take all statements or actions of historical figures portrayed here as being strictly historical. When an error or omission is found, we will try to inform the reader. For eg., we have discovered the "LadySmith" handgun was not introduced until 1989. Everything else looks pretty good so far. Thank you.
rt;
Corazon is (was) kinda cute. Now I feel bad.
rt;
Corazon is (was) kinda cute. Now I feel bad.

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Chindwin Line
The Jap 33rd Div is up to no good. A welcoming party is being prepared.




- Attachments
-
- kohima.jpg (232.25 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

RE: LadySmith
[:D] [:D]ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
Editor's note: As certain elements or the narrative are fictionalized to some degree, the reader should not take all statements or actions of historical figures portrayed here as being strictly historical. When an error or omission is found, we will try to inform the reader. For eg., we have discovered the "LadySmith" handgun was not introduced until 1989. Everything else looks pretty good so far. Thank you.
rt;
Corazon is (was) kinda cute. Now I feel bad.
- Moondawggie
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:11 am
- Location: Placer County CA
RE: LadySmith
It's a relief to know that Jean is being hailed as a heroine for the allies. I was guessing that her trip to Oz with the LadySmith was going to take this storyline into an OJ-style Australian murder trial, with the crack criminal defense division of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe representing her... [&o]
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."
General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
- AU Tiger_MatrixForum
- Posts: 1606
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
- Location: Deepest Dixie
RE: See you in Bataan, bud.
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: qgaliana
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
..
![]()
Hmmm - I seem to remember this surrender line from Bridge too Far? Is that the original source?
I think it was attributed to Col. Frost in the movie. I don't know if he really said it....but he should have. Our opponent is gloating a bit about all the Allied troops falling into captivity. Things are starting to look sketchy in Bataan. He sent us the surrender proffer above just to rub it in. We (the Allies) are both tired of accepting Jap attacks and wan't to kill something. he may be trying to goad us into doing something crazy.
I hate to bring this up so long after this conversation transpired, but I am slowly catching up on the thread and stumbled across this. The quote was of course from Maj. Harry Carlyle (sp?) in the movie. Cornelius Ryan wrote all of his books based on oral history interjected with historical record. Not being able to find my much-read copy of "A Bridge Too Far", as I recall that quote was based on personal accounts of Red Devils who were present, and I do remember looking that part up in the footnotes. The movie was incredibly accurate in portraying the book - a top billing in my video library.
And thanks for the info on the HA's. My next house will have a two-car garage for my building an airplane, and I don't want some LA Times reading closet fascist nixing my plan for a house with a garage that will never host an automobile.
"Never take counsel of your fears."
Tho. Jackson
Tho. Jackson
- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
RE: See you in Bataan, bud.
ORIGINAL: AU Tiger
I hate to bring this up so long after this conversation transpired, but I am slowly catching up on the thread and stumbled across this. The quote was of course from Maj. Harry Carlyle (sp?) in the movie. Cornelius Ryan wrote all of his books based on oral history interjected with historical record. Not being able to find my much-read copy of "A Bridge Too Far", as I recall that quote was based on personal accounts of Red Devils who were present, and I do remember looking that part up in the footnotes. The movie was incredibly accurate in portraying the book - a top billing in my video library.
And thanks for the info on the HA's. My next house will have a two-car garage for my building an airplane, and I don't want some LA Times reading closet fascist nixing my plan for a house with a garage that will never host an automobile.
Cool idea about the airplane. Make sure the wingtips fit through the garage door. Of course, if I tried that, a group of brown shirts would sneak in at night and finish the matter. When I was a kid one of our remote neighbors had a sailboat hull propped up on a frame in his backyard. Every weekend he would sand 1 sq foot of hull. He never finished. I'm not sure but I believe he, personally, may have caused the HA movement to be born[:D]

- Cap Mandrake
- Posts: 20737
- Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
- Location: Southern California
Everyone into the pool!
***********Yossarian's Home Bar and Nightclub, Darwin, May 18, 1942********
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: <sits down next to KNIL officer> Barkeep! A DAB for me and my friend here. <slaps KNIL offcier on back> Say, the Barisan Regt is looking battleworthy these days. Where are you chaps getting all the replacements?
Capt. Brinker, KNIL: Ah...that would be from the pool.
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: Right, I imagine their is some kind of manpower pool, but what I mean is where exactly are they from? After all, the Dutch Government in exile is a couple of townhouses in London, Holland is occupied by the Nazis and the Dutch East Indies are occupied by the Japs.
Capt. Brinker, KNIL: Right. I do mean literally from the pool. The replacements are comprised mostly of Dutch Nationals who were vacationing abroad when the war started. You know, Mallorca, Southern France, Curacao, Saint Maarten..that kind of thing. They are, of course, hard to reach by mail so the local embassy staff are instructed to go poolside and listen for military age men speaking Dutch.
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: Hmmm. Very clever. Shall we? <in a well practiced routine, they both grab their shot glasses and plunge them into the Fosters. The look briefly like parrotfish as they reflexively purse their upper lips to keep the shot glass from breaking a tooth when the action starts. As the reaction begins they upend their glasses quickly and relax their gullets, allowing the expanding carbon dioxide bubbles to force the enchanting nectar into their stomachs where the pressurized concoction seems to go straight to the brain in one or two heartbeats. In seconds they are enveloped in a buzzing, warm cacoon. Every joke is funnier. Every retort more clever...and..of course, every woman better looking>
Capt. Brinker, KNIL:Barkeep! Another for us. So this horse walks into a bar...and the bartender says.......
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: <sits down next to KNIL officer> Barkeep! A DAB for me and my friend here. <slaps KNIL offcier on back> Say, the Barisan Regt is looking battleworthy these days. Where are you chaps getting all the replacements?
Capt. Brinker, KNIL: Ah...that would be from the pool.
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: Right, I imagine their is some kind of manpower pool, but what I mean is where exactly are they from? After all, the Dutch Government in exile is a couple of townhouses in London, Holland is occupied by the Nazis and the Dutch East Indies are occupied by the Japs.
Capt. Brinker, KNIL: Right. I do mean literally from the pool. The replacements are comprised mostly of Dutch Nationals who were vacationing abroad when the war started. You know, Mallorca, Southern France, Curacao, Saint Maarten..that kind of thing. They are, of course, hard to reach by mail so the local embassy staff are instructed to go poolside and listen for military age men speaking Dutch.
Capt. Billabong, RAAF: Hmmm. Very clever. Shall we? <in a well practiced routine, they both grab their shot glasses and plunge them into the Fosters. The look briefly like parrotfish as they reflexively purse their upper lips to keep the shot glass from breaking a tooth when the action starts. As the reaction begins they upend their glasses quickly and relax their gullets, allowing the expanding carbon dioxide bubbles to force the enchanting nectar into their stomachs where the pressurized concoction seems to go straight to the brain in one or two heartbeats. In seconds they are enveloped in a buzzing, warm cacoon. Every joke is funnier. Every retort more clever...and..of course, every woman better looking>
Capt. Brinker, KNIL:Barkeep! Another for us. So this horse walks into a bar...and the bartender says.......





