Uninstall-Problem after patching SPWAW

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Andreas
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Olpe, Germany

Uninstall-Problem after patching SPWAW

Post by Andreas »

I'm playing MC Lost Victories and really like it a lot. I think, I found a little mistake with the new patches. After installing the 7.1 SPWAW-Patch and the Lost Victories-Patches, it is impossible to uninstall the game. Just some of the files are deleted, most of the program-files (ca. 1,1 MByte) remain on the harddrive. Maybe a Patch-misfunction?
Bing
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Gaylord, MI, USA

Post by Bing »

Not a mistake as such: I have yet to see an uninstall routine that got everything - not just Matrix Games but anyone's uninstall.

First: Always do the uninstall from the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel, that will give you a better chance of having DLL's and other app files removed that are specifically for your system.

Second: What you have left are most likely special scenarios, OOB's, that kind of thing. If you want to save them, create a directory outside of SPWAW and move them to that directory. Otherwise just delete everything.

Third: If you feel comfortable working with the reigstry, after uninstall remove the residual MatrixGames entries. This is not mandatory, far as I know you can reinstall without doing this, however it does reduce the outside chance of a reg error when writing over existing entries. I feel better about reinstall when I do this, since WAW writes few reg entries, it takes maybe five minutes.

Now you are ready for reinstall.

Bing
"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”