From here to...well...it SEEMS like an eternity

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Moondawggie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Placer County CA

RE: Temporary Insanity

Post by Moondawggie »

Actually, up here in Placer County you'd probably get a Grand Jury judgment of justifiable homicide; I don't think you'd even have to plead temporary insanity as a defense against charges...
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Rossel or Russel..however you spell it

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Hilarious..I just finish writing Number 1 out of the story, then the Japs invade Rossel (or Russel) Island in the game [:)]

*************Allied Intelligence Beaureau, Melborne, Australia, June 8, 1942************

RCA: Sir, it's Rossel again. He sounds excited.

OOD: Put it on speaker please.

speaker: ...hello Big Piney or Piney Tree or Little Big Pine or whatever the Hell your name is. I have two complaints. One..I haven't got my crackers yet and two..the Japs are landing on my island and I don't think this is no costume party either. They are shooting live rounds. I repeat they are shooting! They have already killed at least three monkeys and half a dozen sea turtles. Somebody come get me out of here..now!..Wait...wait
...incoming...BRAAAAAP! Oh, man, those fish eggs are even worse after a day or two of fermentation! Get me out of here..NOW..or it'll be all over, over

OOD: <to aide> Do we have anything that can reach Rossel?

Aide: Hmmm. Not since the loss of Norfolk, I think. Oh wait, what about one fo the Clippers out of Auckland?

OOD: Right! See to it. <keys the mike> Number One, this is Big Piney. We are coming for you Number One. Hang on. Keep an eye out for a grey and orange clipper, over.

Speaker: Good to hear Piney Tree. Better hurry. They are shooting at coconuts now. Signing off now. Don't forget the bolo bat.....bzzzzzz

OOD: <begins to tear up> I'll be damned if we are going to lose him on my watch! Get M&M on the blower NOW! <now quietly, almost introspective> Godamned brave son of a bitch. Dumber than a bag of hammers and terrible radio discipline but I'll be damned if he isn't the Godamnest bravest son of a bitch it has ever been my pleasure to serve..with. <He thinks to himself..."Wait, am I supposed to end a sentence with a preposition?">

***************************************************
[font="Arial"]
Oh, wait. There is a white Ford with E plates and no hubcaps pulling up, out front. Two guys with plaid sport jackets are getting out. This doesn't look good. Be right back......[/font]
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Rossel or Russel..however you spell it

Post by rtrapasso »

Hmmmm... glad to see you back, i thought maybe the Grand Jury had gotten you on that golfing thing... but maybe the Ford outside is coming to rectify that oversight!! [X(]
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

$200 an hour (100 during personal hygeine acitivities)

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Gentlemen;

Allow me to introduce myself. I am I. Dunn Cheatham, III, Esq., from the Law Firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, LLP. Mr. Mandrake has retained me to represent him in the unfortunate matter of a physical altercation at a charity golf event. As he is not at liberty to post items on the internet at this time he has asked me to post some items for him using his account. I have, of course, readily agreed to this. In fact, I was so pleased with the favorable remembrances of my grandfather, I. Dunn Cheatham, Sr., I offered to give Mr. Mandrake a discount for any billable hours which coincided with personal hygeine or grooming activitites (periodic removal of facial hair excluded). I would first, on his behalf, like to thank those who offered legal suggestions for his defence. The firm is, in fact, looking into a venue change to Placer County but I suspect the judge won't go along with this. Despite this, I believe our case is quite good. Our strongest bit of evidence is the tape itself, in which the alleged victim can be heard giggling like a schoolgirl before he rudely proclaims, "I got it! I got the whole thing in frame!". We also hope to bring in information about possible Devil-worship or perhaps an Al-Quaeda affiliation by the alleged victim. At the time of his craniotomy for subdural bleeding (after the accident), he was noted to have the backward English letters "TAERG GIB AHTREB" tattooed on his scalp. We are consulting experts in ancient languages and religious practices. It may be an old Gaelic dialect or crudely translated Arabic. Thank you again for your concerns.


Respectfully;


I Dunn Cheathma, III, Esq.


Dewey, Chatham and Howe, LLP.



Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Dunedin

Post by Cap Mandrake »

[font="Arial"]Sirs;

For your edification, a correspondence from Mr. Mandrake.

Respectfully,

I. Dunn Cheatham, III, Esq.[/font]


*******************************************************************
Ever wonder what goes on behind those little reports like "14th Army planning for Dunedin"?


*********Officers Club, 90th BS(M), USAAF, Auckland, June 8, 1942*************

<Milo rushes in. Yossarian is testing a new cocktail invented by the Chief>

Milo: Yossarian! I need you.

Yossarian: I like you too, Milo, desperately so.

Chief: Oh my God! Yossarian IS sissy boy.

Milo: It's not like that Chief. Yossarian is just an annoying SOB.

Yossarian: And you are a crazy SOB

Milo: Not as crazy as you.

Yossarian: Yes, you are.

Milo: Nope, because I'm not flying up to Rossel Island to pick up a white man in the middle of a Jap invasion.

Yossarian: What makes you think I'm doing that.

Milo: Because I'm ordering you to.

Yossarian: I don't takes orders from you.

Milo: What is your job at M&M Enterprises, Yossarian.

Yossarian: VP in charge of jingles and something else.

Milo: Yes! And what is my job?

Yossarian: President, I guess.

Milo: Yes. And who is higher, President or Vice President?

Yossarian: President is. DAMN! OK, what do I do with the guy
after I pick him up?

Milo: Take him to Dunedin.

Yossarian: Dunedin? In Ireland?

Milo: No, you crazy SOB, on the South Island of New Zealand.

Yossarian: Why there?

Milo: Because I just got a news report about the Jap 14th Army capturing Dunedin. It's dated June 16th.

Yossarian: But why would we rescue him from the Japs at Rossel then put him in harm's way in Dunedin?

Milo: Because we want him to be captured. Believe me, he is worth more to the Allied war effort if he isn't part of the Allied war effort.

Yossarian: Then why would we want to rescue him now?

Milo: Because we are getting paid for that.

Yossarian: Oh, now I understand. Milo you are a crazy SOB. You are taking money to rescue this poor guy just so that you can turn around and give him to the Japs again.

Milo: That's why I hired you, Yossarian. You are the second smartest SOB around here.

Yossarian: There is something that worries me.

Milo: Yes, Mr. Vice President?

Yossarian: If the Japs are going to capture Dunedin and Dunedin is part of New Zealand and WE are in New Zealand, aren't they going to attack us? You seem awfully upbeat about this. I was enjoying attacking things that don't fire back, submarines or whales. Isn't this bad news?

Milo: Oh, no. This is fantastic news.

Yossarian: I'm listening.

Milo: A Jap attack on the South Island means we will be cut off from all resupply. Don't you see?

Yossarian: That still sounds bad to me.

Milo: No, no, no Yossarian. A blockade means scarcity. Once we are cut off, nothing but the Java Clipper and maybe some B-17's will be able to get out of here. The color of scarcity is...

Yossarian: GREEN!

Milo: Exactly! Now get up to Rossel fast. There is an extra $1000 in it for you if you get him out alive.

Yossarian: What am I going to do with $1000?

Milo: I don't care. Donate it to Minderbinder for Congress in '42 if you want. Let me know as soon as you are back. I want to schedule a seance for you with Adm. Ghormley over the Dunedin thing...Oh...the guy's name is Doug. You'll know him when you see him.
Image
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Dunedin

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

[font="Arial"]Sirs;

For your edification, a correspondence from Mr. Mandrake.

Respectfully,

I. Dunn Cheatham, III, Esq.[/font]

Awfully nice of you to relay his messages, Mr. Cheatham!
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Midway.....between Pitcarin and Ascencion

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Awfully nice of you to relay his messages, Mr. Cheatham!

Thank you Sir. It is something I don't hear very much in my profession. Mr. Mandrake said you are not going to believe this. I am still trying to figure out where the "Alphabet Sea" is.

I. Dunn Cheatham III, Esq.


Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (73.5 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Midway.....between Pitcarin and Ascencion

Post by Cap Mandrake »

More material from Mr. Mandrake. I hope he isn't too uspet at the bill for this ($1,238 so far and I haven't even started to really work on his case...the $238 dollars is a pro rata share of the firms monthly internet bill...it's a T-1 line so it comes out to about $18 a minute). By the way, if any of you have developed repetitive stress injuries playing War in the Pacific, please contact us. We have championed a number of successful class action suits.

I. Dunn Cheatham III, Esq.


Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Midway

Post by Cap Mandrake »

1 1/2 hour (with travel time) x 200..............300
Parking........................................................6
Milage.........................................................13
Internet time..............................................12
-------------------------------------------------------------

Please remit................................................$331

Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP


Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Image
User avatar
AU Tiger_MatrixForum
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
Location: Deepest Dixie

RE: Midway

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Midway

Post by rtrapasso »

Woohoo!!! Midway moves to the Alphabet Sea in WW2(b) [&o] [&o] [&o] ... (or is it really WW2(c)?)
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Midway

Post by rtrapasso »

At this point, carrier-wise, the situation does resemble that in the Pacific in the real war...

You've confirmed sinking (i think) 3 CVs (Hiryu, Junyo, Hiyo) and 1 CVL - and probably have a second CVL as well - and have lost 2 CVs, i think.

In real life, Japan at this point had lost 4 CV and a CVL, and the Allies 2 CVs.

Of course, only 1 of the 6 CVs of PH is gone, leaving 5 first rate CVs - so the balance hasn't swung quite as much as it did in real events. Still, it may be enough to give IJN pause.
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Midway

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

At this point, carrier-wise, the situation does resemble that in the Pacific in the real war...

You've confirmed sinking (i think) 3 CVs (Hiryu, Junyo, Hiyo) and 1 CVL - and probably have a second CVL as well - and have lost 2 CVs, i think.

In real life, Japan at this point had lost 4 CV and a CVL, and the Allies 2 CVs.

Of course, only 1 of the 6 CVs of PH is gone, leaving 5 first rate CVs - so the balance hasn't swung quite as much as it did in real events. Still, it may be enough to give IJN pause.

I'm out!! Happy Easter! Turns out the DA's mother was having a surgery at the hospital for which the charity event was held and he "didn't want any repercussions". [;)] Or, at least that is the cover story. In fact, he is a lying sack of ****. The real reason is we were killing him on jury selection. He ran out of preremptory challenges. You wouldn't believe how many postal workers play golf. Plus, they had the Masters on in the Jury pool room. The poor SOB could see the writing on the wall. [:D] I'm not bitter. I did meet some interesting people in the "big house".

As for that idiot from D,C & H...what a parasite. The guy was nickel and diming me for everything. The SOB charged me $3 for a diet coke
he brought me.

Anyway, about WWII(b), you have that exactly right, though I think the second CVL sinking is a virtual guarantee. I misstated earlier, BTW. It was Zuiho confirmed and Shoho about to go glub glub.
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

Here they come boys!

Post by Cap Mandrake »

A once buslting harbor at Noumea is now empty. Troop transports SSE Fiji. That can only mean one thing! A Jap invasion of Antartica!

Image
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 310 times
Image
User avatar
AU Tiger_MatrixForum
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am
Location: Deepest Dixie

RE: Here they come boys!

Post by AU Tiger_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

A once buslting harbor at Noumea is now empty. Troop transports SSE Fiji. That can only mean one thing! A Jap invasion of Antartica!

I reckon they are trying to get some prime real estate for when "global climate change" kicks in. [8|]
"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: Here they come boys!

Post by USSAmerica »

A serious smackdown!&nbsp; [X(]&nbsp; 3 enemy flattops (and likely a 4th) in exchange for a couple of scratches.&nbsp; Congrats to Cap Mandrake and Adm Tabpub!&nbsp;
&nbsp;
This calls for a traditional Navy "Well Done!"&nbsp; [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Here they come boys!

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: USS America

A serious smackdown!  [X(]  3 enemy flattops (and likely a 4th) in exchange for a couple of scratches.  Congrats to Cap Mandrake and Adm Tabpub! 

This calls for a traditional Navy "Well Done!"  [8D]

That was the courageous effort of Adm "Tabpub" Ghormley. We thought we may have been up against as many as 3 CVL's, Junyo and one Fast Fleet Carrier. We didn't know the position of at least 4 Fleet Carriers (and still don't). There was some serious uncertainty going down, but there was risk in simply running too. I was granted veto power but chose not to execute it. It was a great victory, though we aren't out of the woods. There are still five CV's about with elite crews and a huge force of transports South of Fiji...btw..they aren't really going to Antartica [;)]


They are almost certainly headed to the South Island of New Zealand. Will they turn around? Some of his CV's might be in the shop for wear and tear repairs....or they all could be sailing together...you know the drill. When a major attack is brewing...this is the time WITP gets fun. [:)]
Image
User avatar
Moondawggie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:11 am
Location: Placer County CA

RE: Battle of the Alphabet Sea

Post by Moondawggie »

Man, that was about as perfect a carrier duel as could be imagined. You are being too modest Mandrake; perhaps it wasn't a knockout blow, but it's got to get your opponent's attention, and make him somewhat more risk averse (particularly since I bet he's headed into a boatload of LBA opposing his upcoming assault).

As FDR said, perhaps you are now about "midway" towards your goal...

Looks like he too succumed to the dreaded "Victory Disease," just like his historical antecedents.


Well Done, from a former Lieutenant Commander, USNR! [:)]

As far as dealing with DC&H goes, just remember: never give them the money up front!
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Battle of the Alphabet Sea

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Man, that was about as perfect a carrier duel as could be imagined. You are being too modest Mandrake; perhaps it wasn't a knockout blow, but it's got to get your opponent's attention, and make him somewhat more risk averse (particularly since I bet he's headed into a boatload of LBA opposing his upcoming assault).

As FDR said, perhaps you are now about "midway" towards your goal...

Looks like he too succumed to the dreaded "Victory Disease," just like his historical antecedents.


Well Done, from a former Lieutenant Commander, USNR! [:)]

As far as dealing with DC&H goes, just remember: never give them the money up front!

It is true that we could hardly have expected a better outcome. All 3 carriers still capable of flight operations....no SBD group with fewer than 15 operational planes. Just amazing.

The lone Jap torpedo hit was on the USS Tucker (which will likely survive). The strategy of independent carrier groups (operating in the same hex) for the US at this stage of the war is validated. This may be the Jap high water mark in the South Pacific (althought the water is already pretty deep [:)] )

Our opponent has said he was expecting a solo US carrier. That may have been "victory disease" as you say.
Image
User avatar
castor troy
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Austria

RE: Battle of the Alphabet Sea

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Man, that was about as perfect a carrier duel as could be imagined. You are being too modest Mandrake; perhaps it wasn't a knockout blow, but it's got to get your opponent's attention, and make him somewhat more risk averse (particularly since I bet he's headed into a boatload of LBA opposing his upcoming assault).

As FDR said, perhaps you are now about "midway" towards your goal...

Looks like he too succumed to the dreaded "Victory Disease," just like his historical antecedents.


Well Done, from a former Lieutenant Commander, USNR! [:)]

As far as dealing with DC&H goes, just remember: never give them the money up front!

It is true that we could hardly have expected a better outcome. All 3 carriers still capable of flight operations....no SBD group with fewer than 15 operational planes. Just amazing.

The lone Jap torpedo hit was on the USS Tucker (which will likely survive). The strategy of independent carrier groups (operating in the same hex) for the US at this stage of the war is validated. This may be the Jap high water mark in the South Pacific (althought the water is already pretty deep [:)] )

Our opponent has said he was expecting a solo US carrier. That may have been "victory disease" as you say.


I told John 3rd some time ago he should NOT split his carriers. I also told him he should not do that in my game against him because I would make him pay. He paid in mine, losing Shok, Zuik and a CVL against not a single hit on my 4 US CVs in early 42.

The warning I gave him was exactly what happened here! [8D] Congrats on sinking the Jap flattops. Though I don´t understand why someone splits up KB when there are still US CVs around that can do serious damage (also early in the game)!
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”