New AAR - but not as good as Snigbert's
Let's see taking up some points at random
- Refit times - I'm not sure I have a good handle on this. First of all damage seems to come in three flavours
- System
- Flotation
- Fire
(in increasing level of seriousness). Damage to specific physical components (gun turrets, etc) is also tracked.
System damage can be incurred as a consequence of normal operations. I think the other two occur pretty much from enemy activity.
I am sure that repair time is a function of the size of the port facility. I would not be surprised to find that, for instance, flotation damage cannot be reduced beyond a certain level at certain kinds of facilities. I have used the strategy in the past of sending badly damaged ships to the nearest port to get flotation damage under control and then passing them along to a larger facility when they are capable of making the journey. In addition to the big bases at Noumea, Brisbane and Truk, ships can be returned to Pearl Harbour or Japan for more complete overhaul. I assume that they may or may not eventually return to theatre.
So, all of that is to say that it's hard to really quantify the speed with which repairs occur. The US does enjoy a damage control advantage so they tend to arrive at port in better condition after a battle. As a single example, the CVL Shoho was damaged early in May and is still sporting about 25% system damage and significantly reduced speed in late July. On the other hand, both Zuikaku and Shokau sustained flotation damage in early June but were operational (with 30% or so ops damage) after about a month in dock at Rabaul - and their speeds have not been significantly reduced.
On the air front. There is an information screen that gives details on the current a/c replacement pool and the rate at which a/c are added to the pool. It seems to me that the Japanese replace a/c much more slowly than the Allies. Again, as a single data point - the air groups on Zuikaku and Shokaku were reduced to about 30% strength in the Coral Sea action in early June and the Vals and Kates had not returned to full strength by July. The Zero groups in general fared better, partly because of faster replacement rates and partly because they were not depleted as badly. Level bombers in particular seem to be replaced very slowly. Some of the level bomber Chutai's are not at full strength despite averaging one mission every few days. In one stretch of daily bombing on Port Moresby they were reduced to about 50% strength in less than a week.
In addition the a/c replacement there are also reinforcements in the form of new air groups. It is in this area that the Japanese really begin to lose ground in late 1942. Based on having played a couple of campaigns from the US side I would say that they not only replace losses faster but also add many more groups which eventually allows them to rotate groups to improve morale at the front.
All of this has a direct bearing on strategy concerning Port Moresby and New Guinea. I am becoming convinced that far from considering an invasion of Port Moresby, I don't even think I can win an air superiority battle there. As it is, I think the Allies have about 70 fighters and 40 Bombers there now. This is partly because there is no other allied airbase that is actually in the forward combat zone so they have the luxury of concentrating all their resources there. If I collect up ALL the LBA that I have, I could maybe achieve parity with that. At that point I have a couple choices.
I can base them all at Rabaul and have the luxury of not worrying about retaliation as only B-17's can reach Rabaul from Port Moresby. The only problem is that my crews will get fatigued very rapidly with the long flights and results will inevitably suffer. OR I could base them closer, at Gili Gili and Lae. But first, I have to get at least another base force into each location and keep the supply lines open across the Bismark sea which is in the range of LBA from Port Moresby. Once that is done, I have to win the fight over Port Moresby against an enemy who is guaranteed to win any battle of attrition that lasts longer than a couple of weeks. Even if I do win the battle, what then? I know from playing the US side that it takes pretty massive airstrikes to close down and airbase (I did it with 10 groups of heavy bombers striking Rabaul 'round the clock once as the US).
About the only workable plan I would see would be:
- Move fighter groups forward and begin aggressive patrolling over Port Moresby until the CAP response is well below the 30+ that I get now.
- Begin attacks with the level bombers - heavily escorted by fightes.
- Move a carrier TF into the Bismark Sea and dedicate all of its bombers to attacking the airfield.
- Maybe even sneak a surface bombardment group in to deliver the coup de grace.
This strategy would probably put the airfield out of commission for a few days. To what purpose? The only reason for doing it at all would be to support a landing - which I agree is rapidly becoming a suicidal proposition since I believe there is at least 2 brigades of infantry there now.
I think the only workable strategy is to try to seal Port Moresby off by developing Gili Gili and interdicting any convoys that try to get in. Also patrols from Gili Gili will identify convoys early enough that carriers will be able to sortie to take them out or scare them off.
If supply of Port Moresby can be reduced to air only (which apparently can be interdicted with LRP - althought I have not tried it) then the airfield may be able to defend itself but will not be able to mount offensive air ops. This process is likely to take several weeks and will still be expensive in terms of aircraft.
Which brings me to final personal observation about turn length. One of the most difficult things about UV is staying patient. With all the bits available to twiddle it can take up to an hour to play a 24 hour turn. I don't know how others will react but this tends to make me very impatient and probably accounts for the relatively high intensity pace of operations. After watching convoys build up supplies for a few days, or after watching weather close down all your air operations - you get a little itchy to DO SOMETHING. This propensity can be fatal. This is not in any way a criticism of the game. Merely a psychological element that you need to be aware of. It takes a lot of patience to wait until ships are fully repaired or until an air group builds up planes and morale again.
BTW, the turn length also leads to the equally fatal (if you are married or value sleep at all) "Just one more turn" syndrome. You know, you decide to execute the turn "just to see what happens" - then you have to go around and see what the situation at "a couple of key bases" is. Pretty soon you start issuing more orders and your back to deciding to execute another turn "just to see what happens"....
At some point your spouse wakes up, sees that it is now light out, deduces that you have not been to bed and begins to make not so subtle inquiries about your mental health... It's not pretty :rolleyes:
- Refit times - I'm not sure I have a good handle on this. First of all damage seems to come in three flavours
- System
- Flotation
- Fire
(in increasing level of seriousness). Damage to specific physical components (gun turrets, etc) is also tracked.
System damage can be incurred as a consequence of normal operations. I think the other two occur pretty much from enemy activity.
I am sure that repair time is a function of the size of the port facility. I would not be surprised to find that, for instance, flotation damage cannot be reduced beyond a certain level at certain kinds of facilities. I have used the strategy in the past of sending badly damaged ships to the nearest port to get flotation damage under control and then passing them along to a larger facility when they are capable of making the journey. In addition to the big bases at Noumea, Brisbane and Truk, ships can be returned to Pearl Harbour or Japan for more complete overhaul. I assume that they may or may not eventually return to theatre.
So, all of that is to say that it's hard to really quantify the speed with which repairs occur. The US does enjoy a damage control advantage so they tend to arrive at port in better condition after a battle. As a single example, the CVL Shoho was damaged early in May and is still sporting about 25% system damage and significantly reduced speed in late July. On the other hand, both Zuikaku and Shokau sustained flotation damage in early June but were operational (with 30% or so ops damage) after about a month in dock at Rabaul - and their speeds have not been significantly reduced.
On the air front. There is an information screen that gives details on the current a/c replacement pool and the rate at which a/c are added to the pool. It seems to me that the Japanese replace a/c much more slowly than the Allies. Again, as a single data point - the air groups on Zuikaku and Shokaku were reduced to about 30% strength in the Coral Sea action in early June and the Vals and Kates had not returned to full strength by July. The Zero groups in general fared better, partly because of faster replacement rates and partly because they were not depleted as badly. Level bombers in particular seem to be replaced very slowly. Some of the level bomber Chutai's are not at full strength despite averaging one mission every few days. In one stretch of daily bombing on Port Moresby they were reduced to about 50% strength in less than a week.
In addition the a/c replacement there are also reinforcements in the form of new air groups. It is in this area that the Japanese really begin to lose ground in late 1942. Based on having played a couple of campaigns from the US side I would say that they not only replace losses faster but also add many more groups which eventually allows them to rotate groups to improve morale at the front.
All of this has a direct bearing on strategy concerning Port Moresby and New Guinea. I am becoming convinced that far from considering an invasion of Port Moresby, I don't even think I can win an air superiority battle there. As it is, I think the Allies have about 70 fighters and 40 Bombers there now. This is partly because there is no other allied airbase that is actually in the forward combat zone so they have the luxury of concentrating all their resources there. If I collect up ALL the LBA that I have, I could maybe achieve parity with that. At that point I have a couple choices.
I can base them all at Rabaul and have the luxury of not worrying about retaliation as only B-17's can reach Rabaul from Port Moresby. The only problem is that my crews will get fatigued very rapidly with the long flights and results will inevitably suffer. OR I could base them closer, at Gili Gili and Lae. But first, I have to get at least another base force into each location and keep the supply lines open across the Bismark sea which is in the range of LBA from Port Moresby. Once that is done, I have to win the fight over Port Moresby against an enemy who is guaranteed to win any battle of attrition that lasts longer than a couple of weeks. Even if I do win the battle, what then? I know from playing the US side that it takes pretty massive airstrikes to close down and airbase (I did it with 10 groups of heavy bombers striking Rabaul 'round the clock once as the US).
About the only workable plan I would see would be:
- Move fighter groups forward and begin aggressive patrolling over Port Moresby until the CAP response is well below the 30+ that I get now.
- Begin attacks with the level bombers - heavily escorted by fightes.
- Move a carrier TF into the Bismark Sea and dedicate all of its bombers to attacking the airfield.
- Maybe even sneak a surface bombardment group in to deliver the coup de grace.
This strategy would probably put the airfield out of commission for a few days. To what purpose? The only reason for doing it at all would be to support a landing - which I agree is rapidly becoming a suicidal proposition since I believe there is at least 2 brigades of infantry there now.
I think the only workable strategy is to try to seal Port Moresby off by developing Gili Gili and interdicting any convoys that try to get in. Also patrols from Gili Gili will identify convoys early enough that carriers will be able to sortie to take them out or scare them off.
If supply of Port Moresby can be reduced to air only (which apparently can be interdicted with LRP - althought I have not tried it) then the airfield may be able to defend itself but will not be able to mount offensive air ops. This process is likely to take several weeks and will still be expensive in terms of aircraft.
Which brings me to final personal observation about turn length. One of the most difficult things about UV is staying patient. With all the bits available to twiddle it can take up to an hour to play a 24 hour turn. I don't know how others will react but this tends to make me very impatient and probably accounts for the relatively high intensity pace of operations. After watching convoys build up supplies for a few days, or after watching weather close down all your air operations - you get a little itchy to DO SOMETHING. This propensity can be fatal. This is not in any way a criticism of the game. Merely a psychological element that you need to be aware of. It takes a lot of patience to wait until ships are fully repaired or until an air group builds up planes and morale again.
BTW, the turn length also leads to the equally fatal (if you are married or value sleep at all) "Just one more turn" syndrome. You know, you decide to execute the turn "just to see what happens" - then you have to go around and see what the situation at "a couple of key bases" is. Pretty soon you start issuing more orders and your back to deciding to execute another turn "just to see what happens"....
At some point your spouse wakes up, sees that it is now light out, deduces that you have not been to bed and begins to make not so subtle inquiries about your mental health... It's not pretty :rolleyes:
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
US CVs
Do you think that the US carriers are pretty much out of the picture for a few weeks to a month, allowing you to build up "Furious Falcon Roost" at Guadalcanal?


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Keep those AARs coming.
Ha Ha Hee Hee, they're coming to take me away.
Aah! The joys of being a bachelor, no inquiries about my mental health!Originally posted by IChristie
BTW, the turn length also leads to the equally fatal (if you are married or value sleep at all) "Just one more turn" syndrome. You know, you decide to execute the turn "just to see what happens" - then you have to go around and see what the situation at "a couple of key bases" is. Pretty soon you start issuing more orders and your back to deciding to execute another turn "just to see what happens"....
At some point your spouse wakes up, sees that it is now light out, deduces that you have not been to bed and begins to make not so subtle inquiries about your mental health... It's not pretty :rolleyes: [/B]
Ha Ha Hee Hee, they're coming to take me away.
Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.
The future
ALas alas the problems facing the player of the Japanese side in long campaign wargames are vast. (but no suprise). Allied material advantages always force the Japanese to decide early on what they intend on doing. If Japan spends their time "Easter Egg Hunting" ranther then following a plan the world can turn up side down in a hurry. I have always thought of the first year (most notably the first 6 months) of the war as the 'Great Allied material shortage phase' This alone accounts for the Japanese being able to expand. The major issue is the area to expand within is larger then the limits of expansion the Japanese can maintain. So they swell up rapidly like a ballon and then burst.
Since UV only covers the South Pacific our tasks is made much simpler then it will be in the larger Witp. Expand but not over expand to where we try to hold too much. New Guinea is out simply because in a race to build up forces we can not win.
All the New Guinea bases are at some point in the future (when ever the Allies deide) Going to be lost. We have to use them while we can to inflict damage. And then before it is too late get our forces out to where they can be used to defend bases easier to hold. The Solomons on the other hand are where (if we have the operational airfield) we can win a battle. Provided we can prevent the US from just dumping an over whelming load all at once. (yecch) I am not in favour of 'last man' stands anywhere.
We need to keep just enough in NG to make the Allies spend sometime preparing to capture it and then be gone when the blow falls. (using our battle zone to inflict casulties on their offensive)
Since UV only covers the South Pacific our tasks is made much simpler then it will be in the larger Witp. Expand but not over expand to where we try to hold too much. New Guinea is out simply because in a race to build up forces we can not win.
All the New Guinea bases are at some point in the future (when ever the Allies deide) Going to be lost. We have to use them while we can to inflict damage. And then before it is too late get our forces out to where they can be used to defend bases easier to hold. The Solomons on the other hand are where (if we have the operational airfield) we can win a battle. Provided we can prevent the US from just dumping an over whelming load all at once. (yecch) I am not in favour of 'last man' stands anywhere.
We need to keep just enough in NG to make the Allies spend sometime preparing to capture it and then be gone when the blow falls. (using our battle zone to inflict casulties on their offensive)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Base Information
Mogami,
Here is a list of major bases.
Base - Supplies - Av Support - Port - Airfield - A/C
Rabaul - 77000 - 135 - 8 - 7 - 84
Shortland - 73000 -34 - 5 - 4 - 24
Lunga - 35000 - 86 - 3 - 3 - 51 -
Gili Gili - 22000 - 78 - 3 - 3 - 33
Lae - 22000 - 28 - 3 - 4 - 27
Kavieng - 15000 - 39 - 6 - 4 - 0
Buna - 12000 - 0 - 1 - 1- 0
Buka - 7600 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Buin - 4500 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Tulagi - 135 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0
Nevea - 93 - 0 - 0- 0 -0
Nevea is in the Santa Cruz Is. which is to the E of the Solomons, N of Espiritu Santo
Troop dispositions:
- Two large brigades plus engineers at Gili Gili
- A brigade at Buna
- Approximately half a division plus engineers at Lunga
- Approximatley half a division plus engineers at Shortland
- Close to 2 divisions plus support troops at Truk
- Several garrison and support units at Rabaul
- A reg't sized unit at Lae
- Small detachments at Tulagi, Buka, Buin and Nevea
As for the other hexes you listed. Many of them are actually still "owned" by the US so detailed information is not available. For the rest:
Munda and Vila are both unoccupied but have Port/Air capacities of 2/1.
Here is a list of major bases.
Base - Supplies - Av Support - Port - Airfield - A/C
Rabaul - 77000 - 135 - 8 - 7 - 84
Shortland - 73000 -34 - 5 - 4 - 24
Lunga - 35000 - 86 - 3 - 3 - 51 -
Gili Gili - 22000 - 78 - 3 - 3 - 33
Lae - 22000 - 28 - 3 - 4 - 27
Kavieng - 15000 - 39 - 6 - 4 - 0
Buna - 12000 - 0 - 1 - 1- 0
Buka - 7600 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Buin - 4500 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
Tulagi - 135 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 0
Nevea - 93 - 0 - 0- 0 -0
Nevea is in the Santa Cruz Is. which is to the E of the Solomons, N of Espiritu Santo
Troop dispositions:
- Two large brigades plus engineers at Gili Gili
- A brigade at Buna
- Approximately half a division plus engineers at Lunga
- Approximatley half a division plus engineers at Shortland
- Close to 2 divisions plus support troops at Truk
- Several garrison and support units at Rabaul
- A reg't sized unit at Lae
- Small detachments at Tulagi, Buka, Buin and Nevea
As for the other hexes you listed. Many of them are actually still "owned" by the US so detailed information is not available. For the rest:
Munda and Vila are both unoccupied but have Port/Air capacities of 2/1.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
Av Support
Av Support is this the advanced base support needed to operate Aircraft and ports? Can you explain how it functions just a little. You list a total of 400 points worth how can it be divided?
Ignoring what is actually available for the moment what would be your estimate of the value needed for each of the bases to function within acceptable levels?
It just dawned on me that supply and fuel are interchangable (is this correct?) I have no problem using a basic supply point in the game but I had some how gotten the notion they were separate items. (this is much easier to deal with)
Ignoring what is actually available for the moment what would be your estimate of the value needed for each of the bases to function within acceptable levels?
It just dawned on me that supply and fuel are interchangable (is this correct?) I have no problem using a basic supply point in the game but I had some how gotten the notion they were separate items. (this is much easier to deal with)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
A quick response to your question about supply - Fuel and supply are separate. I was just lazy and didn't list it separately. The only significant fuel supplies are at Rabaul which has over 100 000 tons and SHortland which is up around 20 000.
I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of aviation support. Basically one point is required for each a/c operating at a base. I suspect that lvl bombers may require more support. If you operate more a/c than you have support for they gradually go non-serviceable. Lack of support may also effect the number of a/c that sortie at any one time.
Each base force has a certain amount of av support. Base forces can be subdivided but that starts to get messy.
I would guess that comfortable support levels would be about 150 at a base that is to support significant offensive operations (Gili Gili and Lunga) and 40 - 50 at fighter bases.
I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of aviation support. Basically one point is required for each a/c operating at a base. I suspect that lvl bombers may require more support. If you operate more a/c than you have support for they gradually go non-serviceable. Lack of support may also effect the number of a/c that sortie at any one time.
Each base force has a certain amount of av support. Base forces can be subdivided but that starts to get messy.
I would guess that comfortable support levels would be about 150 at a base that is to support significant offensive operations (Gili Gili and Lunga) and 40 - 50 at fighter bases.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
Another week
Another highly entertaining week. The AI continues to be full of surprises...
19 July - I spend the turn trying to sort out the carrier ari group situation and catching up on getting convoys re-directed. Patrol A/C spot a US surface combat TF approaching Lunga. Attacks from LBA at Lunga put two torpedoes into a CA.
A Sub sinks my replenishment tanker that was busy refueling my carriers. The sub, in turn, is suck by escorts
20 July - In preparing for the possible arrival of the enemy surface TF, I discover a serious fuel shortage. The heavy TF at Lunga is running short on fuel and the fuel reserve at Lunga is gone. A tanker resupply is still one day away. The carrier TF near Lunga has a BB and several CA's as escorts - I break off the BB, 2CA's and 2 DD's to reinforce Lunga while the carriers head for Rabaul.
21 July It turns out to be a false alarm as the US CA's turn around and head for home trailing an oil slick behind them.
However, A US CV TF attacks my outpost on Rennell Island. Recon says there is only one CV, but who knows. Some guys just don't know when to quit! It appears that these carriers just keep going South to refuel at sea and then head right back North again. This time I decide to continue to retreat my carriers and let LBA defend Lunga. Now that extra base forces have arrived I can base up to 80 planes there.
BTW, I also find out the Betty's can reach Espiritu Santo from Lunga as 8 of the stage a raid on a US DD in port a Luganville. Unfortunately the size of the field at Lunga is starting to have an effect as the Betty group is now down to about 60% active a/c. I will have to send them back to Rabaul before they all end up on the scrap heap.
23 July - After a couple of days of playing peekabo south of Rennell Island the US CV TF puts in another appearance just off the coast of Rennell. LBA has a go at it and runs into a 66 plane CAP - OUCH! The kates still manage to put a torpedo into... wait for it... The USS Wasp! Yet another US CV on the scene. It appears that she may be carrying an extra large complement of fighters though since a CAP of 66 would be more typical of a two CV TF - and there does not appear to be another one present. It appears that she may be there to provide cover for a surface TF that shows up in the same hex.
Well, bring 'em on. Tankers have arrived at Lunga and with reinforcements I am now sporting at TF with 2 BB's and 5 CA's!
24 July - The US TF's do not make a run for Lunga. Today they are spotted West of their previous position just about halfway between Lunga and Gili Gili. Perhaps they have decided that Gili Gili is a better target. There have been some fairly large raids from port Moresby lately (up to 50 Planes) and one of them put some serious dents in the runway.
On the plus side - Lunga is now up to size 4 allowing level bombers to operate nominally. I move 2 Chutai's of Betty's down from Rabaul. They immediately celebrate by catching the US replenishment convoy off Rennel I. sinking two SC class escorts and putting torpedoes into three of the tankers. That's gotta hurt! If I remember from playing the other side - those three AO's are probably about 50% of the US tanker fleet at this time. Disabling the replenishment convoy will hopefully put a damper on the incredible disappearing task force routine that is currently going on.
26 - July After fiddling around for a couple more days the US TF's seem to have called it a day and are spotted heading toward Noumea. The fuel situation at Lunga is still not great with so many ships around the fuel has disappeared faster than it could be landed. I decide to move the heavies up to Shortland where there is plenty of fuel. With the large airbase at Lunga they are not really required anymore. I'll have plenty of warning of any impending attack and no TF can get within one days steaming without coming into range of the Betty's and Nell's.
19 July - I spend the turn trying to sort out the carrier ari group situation and catching up on getting convoys re-directed. Patrol A/C spot a US surface combat TF approaching Lunga. Attacks from LBA at Lunga put two torpedoes into a CA.
A Sub sinks my replenishment tanker that was busy refueling my carriers. The sub, in turn, is suck by escorts
20 July - In preparing for the possible arrival of the enemy surface TF, I discover a serious fuel shortage. The heavy TF at Lunga is running short on fuel and the fuel reserve at Lunga is gone. A tanker resupply is still one day away. The carrier TF near Lunga has a BB and several CA's as escorts - I break off the BB, 2CA's and 2 DD's to reinforce Lunga while the carriers head for Rabaul.
21 July It turns out to be a false alarm as the US CA's turn around and head for home trailing an oil slick behind them.
However, A US CV TF attacks my outpost on Rennell Island. Recon says there is only one CV, but who knows. Some guys just don't know when to quit! It appears that these carriers just keep going South to refuel at sea and then head right back North again. This time I decide to continue to retreat my carriers and let LBA defend Lunga. Now that extra base forces have arrived I can base up to 80 planes there.
BTW, I also find out the Betty's can reach Espiritu Santo from Lunga as 8 of the stage a raid on a US DD in port a Luganville. Unfortunately the size of the field at Lunga is starting to have an effect as the Betty group is now down to about 60% active a/c. I will have to send them back to Rabaul before they all end up on the scrap heap.
23 July - After a couple of days of playing peekabo south of Rennell Island the US CV TF puts in another appearance just off the coast of Rennell. LBA has a go at it and runs into a 66 plane CAP - OUCH! The kates still manage to put a torpedo into... wait for it... The USS Wasp! Yet another US CV on the scene. It appears that she may be carrying an extra large complement of fighters though since a CAP of 66 would be more typical of a two CV TF - and there does not appear to be another one present. It appears that she may be there to provide cover for a surface TF that shows up in the same hex.
Well, bring 'em on. Tankers have arrived at Lunga and with reinforcements I am now sporting at TF with 2 BB's and 5 CA's!
24 July - The US TF's do not make a run for Lunga. Today they are spotted West of their previous position just about halfway between Lunga and Gili Gili. Perhaps they have decided that Gili Gili is a better target. There have been some fairly large raids from port Moresby lately (up to 50 Planes) and one of them put some serious dents in the runway.
On the plus side - Lunga is now up to size 4 allowing level bombers to operate nominally. I move 2 Chutai's of Betty's down from Rabaul. They immediately celebrate by catching the US replenishment convoy off Rennel I. sinking two SC class escorts and putting torpedoes into three of the tankers. That's gotta hurt! If I remember from playing the other side - those three AO's are probably about 50% of the US tanker fleet at this time. Disabling the replenishment convoy will hopefully put a damper on the incredible disappearing task force routine that is currently going on.
26 - July After fiddling around for a couple more days the US TF's seem to have called it a day and are spotted heading toward Noumea. The fuel situation at Lunga is still not great with so many ships around the fuel has disappeared faster than it could be landed. I decide to move the heavies up to Shortland where there is plenty of fuel. With the large airbase at Lunga they are not really required anymore. I'll have plenty of warning of any impending attack and no TF can get within one days steaming without coming into range of the Betty's and Nell's.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
Truk
Ok (I was certain fuel was separte in final version just was not sure about yours) Truk is not listed
I went and peeked at the new screen shots. I got so exicited I had a hard time rolling a smoke (Top)
The screen shot of the air combat over New Guinea shows a total of 10 bases. 8 Japanese and 2 Aliied whew
On the ship data display what are towers? does cap refer to number of possible float planes? what is endurence?(Is that range in naut miles at a certain speed?)
I went and peeked at the new screen shots. I got so exicited I had a hard time rolling a smoke (Top)
The screen shot of the air combat over New Guinea shows a total of 10 bases. 8 Japanese and 2 Aliied whew
On the ship data display what are towers? does cap refer to number of possible float planes? what is endurence?(Is that range in naut miles at a certain speed?)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
To the best of my knowledge:
- Don't know exactly what is meant by towers
- cap refers to the a/c capacity of any kind - when you access the individual ship it will show what type of a/c (float or carrier) can be carried
- Endurance does refer to range. I'm not sure what the units are (I'll check the manual tonight).
I didn't list Truk because it has unlimited supply and fuel (yes, I know that was a great debate
). There are some 40 ships in port at Truk ranging from BB's down to MSW's. There are no a/c at Truk but it has a large base force with av support of about 200 (I don't remember the exact figure).
There are between 2 and 3 divisions at Truk right now. There are several engineer formations and I keep moving them out as fast as I can to speed up improvements and increase base support in the front line.
I am also maintaining one convoy in Truk consisting of the larger faster AP's to be available to transport troops should the need arise.
- Don't know exactly what is meant by towers
- cap refers to the a/c capacity of any kind - when you access the individual ship it will show what type of a/c (float or carrier) can be carried
- Endurance does refer to range. I'm not sure what the units are (I'll check the manual tonight).
I didn't list Truk because it has unlimited supply and fuel (yes, I know that was a great debate
There are between 2 and 3 divisions at Truk right now. There are several engineer formations and I keep moving them out as fast as I can to speed up improvements and increase base support in the front line.
I am also maintaining one convoy in Truk consisting of the larger faster AP's to be available to transport troops should the need arise.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
What penalties accrue in flying over 500 miles from Rabaul to Guadalcanal? Pilot fatigue accounted for a lot of lost planes. I still am not convinced that historically the japanese flew the a6m3 from Rabaul to Guadalcanal. Werent they trying to build a base on Munda Point(new Georgia) to save pilots and planes?
as the japanese player, i am not prepared to go that route(fly from Rabaul to Guadalcanal)
as the japanese player, i am not prepared to go that route(fly from Rabaul to Guadalcanal)
virtute omne regatur
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
A few comments...
A6M3s may be able to make it from Rabaul to Tassafaronga, but it's certainly at the very edge of their range. I've always tried to move my M3s to Shortlands/Buin if I'm focusing on Lunga while keeping the M2s at Rabaul. In the game, there are range circles visible for a selected air unit showing normal and extended range to help with a visual determination.
Armor for ships is rated in three categories: Belt, Deck and Tower. In addition, each ship has a Durability rating that has a significant impact on its survivability and the overall effect of hits that penetrate armor.
Regards,
- Erik
Armor for ships is rated in three categories: Belt, Deck and Tower. In addition, each ship has a Durability rating that has a significant impact on its survivability and the overall effect of hits that penetrate armor.
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
Hey gimme a break TSM! I got kids to put to bed.
Besides the Queen Mum's funeral was on tonight. Don't get to see drill like that every day.
I'm hoping to get another few turns in tonight.
Besides the Queen Mum's funeral was on tonight. Don't get to see drill like that every day.
I'm hoping to get another few turns in tonight.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece


