command control
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
command control
I would like to get players thoughts on command control. Do you play with it on
or off.
The reason I ask is that last night playing a scenario I had several squads in a defend stance that were out of contact with command.
Command control was on and I was unable to move these squads to a better position. It would seem that if a squad needed to move to a better defensive position or to save its life it would do so on its own if out of radio contact. Thoughts?
or off.
The reason I ask is that last night playing a scenario I had several squads in a defend stance that were out of contact with command.
Command control was on and I was unable to move these squads to a better position. It would seem that if a squad needed to move to a better defensive position or to save its life it would do so on its own if out of radio contact. Thoughts?
I always play with the Command and control on. Though I do agree with the point that you make that when a squad looses contact they tend to sit down and refuse to move, be that in the open, or in cover.
One way around this, is that I've noticed that an out of contact squad will always move towards their last known objective flag. So by keeping the whole units bounds short, you can use the obejective flag as a rallying point, where they can re-establish comms with their unit leader.
One way around this, is that I've noticed that an out of contact squad will always move towards their last known objective flag. So by keeping the whole units bounds short, you can use the obejective flag as a rallying point, where they can re-establish comms with their unit leader.
In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.
I always play with command and control on. It adds another dimension to the game with officers more able to control/influence units. It also forces me to keep my formations together, and actually work as a platoon/company/battallion etc. More realistic i'd say. Leadership is a true key factor in military tactics, and command/control on makes an attempt to model this.
Your specific problem.. i think it could be quite realistic, at least in WWII where individual initiative among soldiers was not as praised as it is today (for most units and countries anyway). If your officer is not around to command, you are likely to stay put and do what you were doing. Without contact with the officers, your unit would get little information and try its best (hopefully) to obey the previously given orders. Maybe the sergeant commanding the individual squad isn't man enough to assess the situation and realize the danger they are in. The solution to this is to keep your platoon hq close enough to affect the units.
I'm not sure if it's the case now, but perhaps troops out of contact should rout/retreat more easily than troops with a working chain of command. The feeling of being left "on your own" is not a very good one for troop morale
Perhaps a more experienced squad leading sergeant should be able to get an order or two to spend once in a while when the squad is not in contact with the platoon hq.
Your specific problem.. i think it could be quite realistic, at least in WWII where individual initiative among soldiers was not as praised as it is today (for most units and countries anyway). If your officer is not around to command, you are likely to stay put and do what you were doing. Without contact with the officers, your unit would get little information and try its best (hopefully) to obey the previously given orders. Maybe the sergeant commanding the individual squad isn't man enough to assess the situation and realize the danger they are in. The solution to this is to keep your platoon hq close enough to affect the units.
I'm not sure if it's the case now, but perhaps troops out of contact should rout/retreat more easily than troops with a working chain of command. The feeling of being left "on your own" is not a very good one for troop morale
"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.
Usually off. I like having complete control of my troops and to heck with the local commanders...call it a Hitler-Patton-Stalin nature in me (G).
When instructed specifically in the scenario text file to use it (usually a good reason) or if I myself am trying to convey a certain feel to the game, I'll use it and leave it on when I finish designing the scenario so that it is the default setting.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
When instructed specifically in the scenario text file to use it (usually a good reason) or if I myself am trying to convey a certain feel to the game, I'll use it and leave it on when I finish designing the scenario so that it is the default setting.
Wild Bill
------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
I keep it on. It isn't normally a problem, though I do remember one time I had ordered a general pursuit of the enemy after breaking them in a meeting engagement, and this one squad just wouldn't get in its halftrack and go. They were in a building, so I couldn't move the HT to them. (If a squad is stuck in Defend mode you can still load it on transport and haul it to where it needs to be.)
I confess that I did become somewhat frustrated and drove the HT into the building after them, causing the building to collapse and kill half the squad. They've behaved much better ever since.
I confess that I did become somewhat frustrated and drove the HT into the building after them, causing the building to collapse and kill half the squad. They've behaved much better ever since.

-
Windo von Paene
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Seattle, WA
I didn't use it in my first scenario, "Brave Men at Beito". Got slaughtered. Started a different scen. It was on, and I couldn't figure out what was going on. why wouldn't my troops move?!?! Oh...
So I turned it off. Was trying to play a PBEM and set up my troops assuming it was turned off. It wasn't
Blows your strategy to bits when that happens! I had formations scattered all over the whole map, many of whom either sat around with no place to go, or would only move backwards to some objective that they got somehow by default.
Luckily, that game had to be abandoned due to the "disappearing units" problem, once three formations of AFV's and about 8 fully loaded trucks disappeared.
I hope to try it again sometime, when I know before I deploy that it is turned on...
So I turned it off. Was trying to play a PBEM and set up my troops assuming it was turned off. It wasn't

Blows your strategy to bits when that happens! I had formations scattered all over the whole map, many of whom either sat around with no place to go, or would only move backwards to some objective that they got somehow by default.
Luckily, that game had to be abandoned due to the "disappearing units" problem, once three formations of AFV's and about 8 fully loaded trucks disappeared.
I hope to try it again sometime, when I know before I deploy that it is turned on...
C&C is great. I try to always play with it on. But I've noticed that if you have a scenario with LOTS of units some of the formations' orders dont 'take' or something. They have their advance points defined as hex (##,##) but no hexes are lit up, AND it always costs command points to move them.
Anyways, C&C adds a planning dimension to the game that can be really interesting.
Tomo
Anyways, C&C adds a planning dimension to the game that can be really interesting.
Tomo
-
Antonius
- Posts: 190
- Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Saint Arnoult en Yvelines FRANCE
- Contact:
Always ON
Found it a bit cumbersome at first but when I finally understood the mechanics completly and found out that right-clicking in the formation leader was the best way to change orders, i could no more play without it - even when scen briefings recommand to turn it off.
Having to plan and play with formations in mind, having to regroup at times to regain control of them makes the make much more realistic, interesting and challenging.
Found it a bit cumbersome at first but when I finally understood the mechanics completly and found out that right-clicking in the formation leader was the best way to change orders, i could no more play without it - even when scen briefings recommand to turn it off.
Having to plan and play with formations in mind, having to regroup at times to regain control of them makes the make much more realistic, interesting and challenging.
Wargamo, ergo sum
-
victorhauser
- Posts: 318
- Joined: Mon May 29, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: austin, texas
I have played the last two scenario's with c&C off. I have found you still have to plan carefully and keep those formations together to cover advances etc. or you lose. Regrouping , change of objectives still occur. I like the individual control. However I have not given playing with c&c on equal time so i'll have to do that.
I like the idea of C&C but can never get it to work right. I always end up with some units being able to move and others just sitting there stuck.....or maybe one or 2 units can move, but none of the others in that formation.
I keep my units together..usually in a line with the xO right in the middle, but he don't have orders either and it's not like the AO can run around sharing orders with 10 formations.
I'm playing a PBEM battle now and some formations can't even assign a new objective because there aren't enough orders.
It's frustrating to have tanks and infantry dash 1/2 way across a field and then get bogged down due to "shortage of orders". Then the enemy creeps over the hill and has a target gallery of units to shoot at.
Ah well, I'll keep reading, playing, and learning and maybe one day I'll get it
------------------
Jackk
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
I keep my units together..usually in a line with the xO right in the middle, but he don't have orders either and it's not like the AO can run around sharing orders with 10 formations.
I'm playing a PBEM battle now and some formations can't even assign a new objective because there aren't enough orders.
It's frustrating to have tanks and infantry dash 1/2 way across a field and then get bogged down due to "shortage of orders". Then the enemy creeps over the hill and has a target gallery of units to shoot at.
Ah well, I'll keep reading, playing, and learning and maybe one day I'll get it
------------------
Jackk
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
Jackk
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
"Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"
I prefer playing with C&C off because I believe squad NCO's and tank commanders are (in most countries) intelligent enough and have sufficient initiative to do what is required and not have an officer come by and hold their hand. Otherwise they wouldnt be squad NCO's and tank commanders.
Ready Aye Ready
- Paul Vebber
- Posts: 5342
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Portsmouth RI
- Contact:
Having control over individual Squad NCO's and TC's is fun, but allows you to "be lazy" in your thinking.
As the manual says, C2 in the game doesn't try to model real C3 issues, but force you to take 3 key things into account in playing:
1). Think Ahead - Have a scheme of manuever
2). Platoons are your manuever elements - keep them together
3). Stance matters - proper use of advance and defend stances can be a real combat enhancer - especially in ver 3.
Once you get the hang of it it becomes 2nd nature and forces you to develop good tactical habits that will win games - even when you go back to playing with it off (feeels like cheatin
)!
As the manual says, C2 in the game doesn't try to model real C3 issues, but force you to take 3 key things into account in playing:
1). Think Ahead - Have a scheme of manuever
2). Platoons are your manuever elements - keep them together
3). Stance matters - proper use of advance and defend stances can be a real combat enhancer - especially in ver 3.
Once you get the hang of it it becomes 2nd nature and forces you to develop good tactical habits that will win games - even when you go back to playing with it off (feeels like cheatin
)! If it would work, I really would like it.Originally posted by slammer:
I would like to get players thoughts on command control. Do you play with it on
or off. .. Thoughts?
Was playing that "what-if-France-attacked-in-'39" scenario some days ago, and had 3 Secs of engineers sitting around doing nothing - I stacked the ..0-Unit with the ..1 in one hex, and the ..2 was nearby (neighbouring hex) - but both ..1 and ..2 stayed "out of contact" for 10 turns.

The ..0 had radio contact to HQ troughout this period.
I really really hate when something like this happens .. BUGS BUGS BUGS !!!!
Arralen
AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Kingston SV300 120 GB
Windows 8.1
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Kingston SV300 120 GB
Windows 8.1
- Paul Vebber
- Posts: 5342
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Portsmouth RI
- Contact:
We are adding some features to help make it easier to use. THe HQ units will have parentheses around their "+" or number of men.
If you have a problem, send me a save and I'll try to take a look at it, not saying there may not be a bug, but every save I've been sent I've had time to look at had an explaination...
If you have a problem, send me a save and I'll try to take a look at it, not saying there may not be a bug, but every save I've been sent I've had time to look at had an explaination...

