New AAR - but not as good as Snigbert's
Sorry to keep barging in. I just read Sinjen's post on strangling Luganville. It is certainly a good idea, but I'm guessing that no one knows how long it would take because blockading an island hasn't been tried in UV before. Wow, another first for Iain!
It sounds like UV has a lot of element of PacWar incorporated into it - at least on the ground unit and supply side. I used to park carrier groups on an island in PacWar for literally two or three months trying to strangle the Japanese units on the island, and I can't say it was ever that effective. It's been several years since I've played PacWar, so I don't remember in detail what the effect actually was. But I do recall getting very pissed at spending so much time relaying carrier groups to the island to provide for overlapping station time, and it just didn't seem to work. Maybe because the units are hunkered down and not doing anything but listening to the bombs fall they aren't consumming much in the way of supplies. Anyway, I'm not sure that you have the time to actually deplete the Marines in any meaningful amount in the time you have left. However, if you tried, you would probably get the decisive naval engagement that you have been looking for.
It sounds like UV has a lot of element of PacWar incorporated into it - at least on the ground unit and supply side. I used to park carrier groups on an island in PacWar for literally two or three months trying to strangle the Japanese units on the island, and I can't say it was ever that effective. It's been several years since I've played PacWar, so I don't remember in detail what the effect actually was. But I do recall getting very pissed at spending so much time relaying carrier groups to the island to provide for overlapping station time, and it just didn't seem to work. Maybe because the units are hunkered down and not doing anything but listening to the bombs fall they aren't consumming much in the way of supplies. Anyway, I'm not sure that you have the time to actually deplete the Marines in any meaningful amount in the time you have left. However, if you tried, you would probably get the decisive naval engagement that you have been looking for.

The germ of an idea begins to form. I really want to go after Luganville or Port Vila because I don't like the idea of maintaining the New Caledonia bases. Unfortunately alot of enemy strength is concentrated there. I think I agree with Byron that I simply won't be able to strangle Luganville. The US just has too much of a lead in a/c and I will end up trading ships for a/c which is not going to do it in the long run
On the other hand the New Caledonia bases are quite lightly held and could be taken with a fairly small invasion fleet.
So maybe we can turn this to our advantage by diverting some US strength away from Espiritu Santo. Perhaps a fairly large scale raid (i.e. land the troops and decide that if they can't be supplied so be it) on one of the New Caledonia bases would act as a diversion. It might even cause the AI to embark some of the troops from Luganville to retake the base. That could provide an excellen opportunity to launch the real offensive. So here is my basic plan:
Three Phases:
Phase 1 Preparation (2 to 3 weeks)
Disposition of forces
- Raider LCU to Shortland
- DD and APD forces to Shortland
- Form CL/DD interdiction forces in SHortland to interdict bombardment of Lunga
- Fast (undamaged) Carrier force in Rabaul with Fast BB's
- Slow (damange) carrier force in Truk
- Concentrate bombers in Lunga to protect against bombardment
- Concentrate fighters in Gili Gili to take on US bombers
Activities
- Move engineers to Rennell I. and build a lvl 1 airfield
- Build up enough supply at all fwd locations so that disruption of convoys for a few weeks will be manageable
- Build up fuel dumps at Lunga and Shortland (maybe even Rennell)
- Concentrate troop transports in Truk
Phase 2 Raid on New Caledonia (1 Week)
Disposition of Forces
- Raiders embark on APD's consider including a CVL to provide organic CAP
- Use CL/DD TF as covering and bombardment force
- Main force LCU embark in Truk and sortie for designated concentration area (Shortland, Lunga).
- Slow carriers sortie as cover
- Potentially form bombardment/covering force with slow BB's and CA's
- Fast Carriers and BB's move to Shortland to counter any move by US CVs
- Move fighters forward to Rennell I.
Activities
- APD's attempt "Tokyo Express" style landing on North tip of New Caledonia. Retire to Shortland or Lunga
- Rennell I. fighters provide LRP.
- Main force moves to concentration area and waits for US reponse
Phase 3 Invasion of ?? (1 - 2 Weeks)
- When AI response is clear choose ultimate invastion site - Luganville or Port Vila depending on whether significant LCU move out of Luganville
Dispositions
- APD's with CL's and DD's for cover continue to make supply runs to beach head
- Main force with slow CV's and BB's for cover sorties from concentration area
- Slow CV's embark extra fighters
- Fast CV's and BB's move to Lunga
- Supply and support convoy loads in Truk
Activities
- Invasion and close covering forces approach invasion site and land troops (note ensure that Base force is included in initial load so fighters can operate from shore as soon as possible)
- Fast Covering forces move far enough south to intervene if US CV's or BB's show up.
- Capture base within first week. Move fighters ashore and slow CV's can depart
- May need the slow CV force to continue to escort convoys depending on AI response
So target date for the invasion would be mid to late September. It's a fairly compicated plan requiring alot of coordination, but hey this is the IJN!
The other thing I like is that it plays to my two strengths currently - lots of surface units, including CV's and also a fair number of LCU (which means that they can be expendable).
Comments, suggestions?
On the other hand the New Caledonia bases are quite lightly held and could be taken with a fairly small invasion fleet.
So maybe we can turn this to our advantage by diverting some US strength away from Espiritu Santo. Perhaps a fairly large scale raid (i.e. land the troops and decide that if they can't be supplied so be it) on one of the New Caledonia bases would act as a diversion. It might even cause the AI to embark some of the troops from Luganville to retake the base. That could provide an excellen opportunity to launch the real offensive. So here is my basic plan:
Three Phases:
Phase 1 Preparation (2 to 3 weeks)
Disposition of forces
- Raider LCU to Shortland
- DD and APD forces to Shortland
- Form CL/DD interdiction forces in SHortland to interdict bombardment of Lunga
- Fast (undamaged) Carrier force in Rabaul with Fast BB's
- Slow (damange) carrier force in Truk
- Concentrate bombers in Lunga to protect against bombardment
- Concentrate fighters in Gili Gili to take on US bombers
Activities
- Move engineers to Rennell I. and build a lvl 1 airfield
- Build up enough supply at all fwd locations so that disruption of convoys for a few weeks will be manageable
- Build up fuel dumps at Lunga and Shortland (maybe even Rennell)
- Concentrate troop transports in Truk
Phase 2 Raid on New Caledonia (1 Week)
Disposition of Forces
- Raiders embark on APD's consider including a CVL to provide organic CAP
- Use CL/DD TF as covering and bombardment force
- Main force LCU embark in Truk and sortie for designated concentration area (Shortland, Lunga).
- Slow carriers sortie as cover
- Potentially form bombardment/covering force with slow BB's and CA's
- Fast Carriers and BB's move to Shortland to counter any move by US CVs
- Move fighters forward to Rennell I.
Activities
- APD's attempt "Tokyo Express" style landing on North tip of New Caledonia. Retire to Shortland or Lunga
- Rennell I. fighters provide LRP.
- Main force moves to concentration area and waits for US reponse
Phase 3 Invasion of ?? (1 - 2 Weeks)
- When AI response is clear choose ultimate invastion site - Luganville or Port Vila depending on whether significant LCU move out of Luganville
Dispositions
- APD's with CL's and DD's for cover continue to make supply runs to beach head
- Main force with slow CV's and BB's for cover sorties from concentration area
- Slow CV's embark extra fighters
- Fast CV's and BB's move to Lunga
- Supply and support convoy loads in Truk
Activities
- Invasion and close covering forces approach invasion site and land troops (note ensure that Base force is included in initial load so fighters can operate from shore as soon as possible)
- Fast Covering forces move far enough south to intervene if US CV's or BB's show up.
- Capture base within first week. Move fighters ashore and slow CV's can depart
- May need the slow CV force to continue to escort convoys depending on AI response
So target date for the invasion would be mid to late September. It's a fairly compicated plan requiring alot of coordination, but hey this is the IJN!
The other thing I like is that it plays to my two strengths currently - lots of surface units, including CV's and also a fair number of LCU (which means that they can be expendable).
Comments, suggestions?
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
Iain,
On your next AAR report, could you provide an updated rundown of status for your assets? Not having seen names/locations/state of individual major ships or various states of supplies at bases in awhile, things are starting to get fuzzy.
If it's too much to ask, that's fine. Banzai Nippon warrior!!!
On your next AAR report, could you provide an updated rundown of status for your assets? Not having seen names/locations/state of individual major ships or various states of supplies at bases in awhile, things are starting to get fuzzy.
If it's too much to ask, that's fine. Banzai Nippon warrior!!!
I don't know Ian, maybe if you had planned for this operation from the start, but I think now its gonna be a case of "an island too far". Still, for entertainments sake, go for it! 
" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"
Clan [GOAT]
Clan [GOAT]
Time ok
I think everything that has happened would have been needed even if he had been planning all along to take Vila. There is lots of time. He does not even have to capture it before Jan 43, Anytime after would also work for the auto victory. (right Joel?)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
New Target
I just looked at some of the new screen shots, I think we may need to haul everything we have to Luganville. How many troops can we transport at once. Move everything to Lunga and then on to Luganville (every DD,APD, AP etc carrying troops and supplies)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
This is hilarious! Poor Iain just started playing a game for a lark, and now the whole world is on the edge of their seats watching his every move. I keep expecting to go home and see a hushed report on CNN showing Iain concentrating over his next move. "This could be it, viewers. Iain is now moving the fleet to _____. The outcome of the world may rest on this decision."
War by committee. Good luck, guy, and hopefully the game will be released soon enough that we can go fight the war ourselves. In any event, keep posting because you've got us hooked on this little affair of yours.
War by committee. Good luck, guy, and hopefully the game will be released soon enough that we can go fight the war ourselves. In any event, keep posting because you've got us hooked on this little affair of yours.

Don't feel bad for me. I'm the guy that gets to play the game!
Besides, I've learned so much from these discussions, I think I'm almost getting the hang of this game. I want to go back to the beginning and start again. I'll be in Luganville by Memorial Day next time!
Besides, I've learned so much from these discussions, I think I'm almost getting the hang of this game. I want to go back to the beginning and start again. I'll be in Luganville by Memorial Day next time!
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
- madflava13
- Posts: 1501
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Alexandria, VA
Iain -
I'd like to pile another couple questions on top of your already too-high list of requests from us loyal readers...
Can you outline briefly your submarine dispositions? What are your goals for their ops? Any success mining with them or using raider forces?
I'd also like to recommend some heavy duty mining around Noumea and Pt. Moresby before this little soiree to Luganville kicks off... Even if you only ding up a couple APs or heavies, its still a little less to worry about...
Anyways, thats all I have for now. Like everyone else has said, thanks for being so accomadating to all of us non-testers!
I'd like to pile another couple questions on top of your already too-high list of requests from us loyal readers...
Can you outline briefly your submarine dispositions? What are your goals for their ops? Any success mining with them or using raider forces?
I'd also like to recommend some heavy duty mining around Noumea and Pt. Moresby before this little soiree to Luganville kicks off... Even if you only ding up a couple APs or heavies, its still a little less to worry about...
Anyways, thats all I have for now. Like everyone else has said, thanks for being so accomadating to all of us non-testers!
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Well guys, I have a confession to make. I have been using the "Automatic submarines" option.
I Know, I know - a major cop out. I originally put it on when I was learning the game and I haven't mastered all of the other details to the point where I want to put it back on.
I think I may manually move some subs as you suggest as for mining and other special sub ops, I haven't read up on them enough to know exactly what to do, so we'll probably have to get by without any special forces.
ic
I Know, I know - a major cop out. I originally put it on when I was learning the game and I haven't mastered all of the other details to the point where I want to put it back on.
I think I may manually move some subs as you suggest as for mining and other special sub ops, I haven't read up on them enough to know exactly what to do, so we'll probably have to get by without any special forces.
ic
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
- madflava13
- Posts: 1501
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Alexandria, VA
If I could make a suggestion -
Don't worry about Spec Ops at this point. Put your subs in three major spots -
1. Off Noumea (or wherever the Allies main port is) between your objective and that port. Interdicts any naval reaction - maybe get lucky and put a torp into some heavies
2. Off Pt. Moresby to cut into those fat convoys. Hopefully hit a couple tankers...
3. If you have a sense of where the AI would send its carriers to stand off and react to an invasion of your objective, put a couple subs in those hexes too
In reference to the 3rd spot- The US before the Battle of the Phillipine Sea sent several subs into similar interdiction spots - one nailed a replenish convoy and a CV (Taiho, I think). Another got the Shokaku. The US gambled and won on that one...
As for mines, lay mines in the same kind of spots you'd send subs... Probably best used against the convoy routes if you want sinkings (less armor), but useful to ding up/slow down a naval TF too - not much chance of sinking major fleet units though - more of a nuisance.
I'm kind of a sub op junkie - that and mining are what I am most looking forward to in this game!
Don't worry about Spec Ops at this point. Put your subs in three major spots -
1. Off Noumea (or wherever the Allies main port is) between your objective and that port. Interdicts any naval reaction - maybe get lucky and put a torp into some heavies
2. Off Pt. Moresby to cut into those fat convoys. Hopefully hit a couple tankers...
3. If you have a sense of where the AI would send its carriers to stand off and react to an invasion of your objective, put a couple subs in those hexes too
In reference to the 3rd spot- The US before the Battle of the Phillipine Sea sent several subs into similar interdiction spots - one nailed a replenish convoy and a CV (Taiho, I think). Another got the Shokaku. The US gambled and won on that one...
As for mines, lay mines in the same kind of spots you'd send subs... Probably best used against the convoy routes if you want sinkings (less armor), but useful to ding up/slow down a naval TF too - not much chance of sinking major fleet units though - more of a nuisance.
I'm kind of a sub op junkie - that and mining are what I am most looking forward to in this game!
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Good advice on the subs, I'll take it. The heaviest convoy zones right now are between Brisbane and Port Moresby and between Noumea and Luganville.
I doubt there is much oiler traffic to Port Moresby as there are no naval units there. I think most of it is between Noumea and luganville. Unfortunately mining anywhere within LBA range of a US base is probably suicidal right now.
Also ML's have to return to port after mining one hex so long range mining is tough logistically. So far I have used them to mine everything SE of Lunga off Gaudalcanal and around the coast of San Cristobal - no effect yet.
I doubt there is much oiler traffic to Port Moresby as there are no naval units there. I think most of it is between Noumea and luganville. Unfortunately mining anywhere within LBA range of a US base is probably suicidal right now.
Also ML's have to return to port after mining one hex so long range mining is tough logistically. So far I have used them to mine everything SE of Lunga off Gaudalcanal and around the coast of San Cristobal - no effect yet.
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
- madflava13
- Posts: 1501
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Alexandria, VA
Sorry I wasn't clear -
I meant mine with subs. I don't know if you have any specialty subs like the US (Argonaut) that can carry more mines - if so, use them to do this exclusively, as they are probably bigger, slower and less likely to succeed in attacking ships.
For your other fleet subs (The I-class), set them up between Luganville and Noumea, Brisbane and Moresby... Also, if there's a supply line between Pearl Harbor and the theater, put a couple on that too - you may get lucky and finish off damaged ships or even sink some before they can get into combat.
Also, be sure to rotate them - Especially if they are spotted. Keep em fresh, keep em effective.
I meant mine with subs. I don't know if you have any specialty subs like the US (Argonaut) that can carry more mines - if so, use them to do this exclusively, as they are probably bigger, slower and less likely to succeed in attacking ships.
For your other fleet subs (The I-class), set them up between Luganville and Noumea, Brisbane and Moresby... Also, if there's a supply line between Pearl Harbor and the theater, put a couple on that too - you may get lucky and finish off damaged ships or even sink some before they can get into combat.
Also, be sure to rotate them - Especially if they are spotted. Keep em fresh, keep em effective.
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
SitRep
OK, here's some of the info requested.
Major Assets by location
Truk
- Yamato
- Nagato
- Mutsu
- Haruna (78% system Damage)
- Shokaku (45%)
- Zuikaku (45%)
- Akagi (45%)
- Ryujo (32%)
- Unyo - CVE
- Myoko
- Haguro
- Mikuma
- Suzuya
- 5 CL's
Rabaul
- Kaga
- HIryu
- Zuiho
- Shoho
- Maya
- Nachi
- Kinugasa
- Furutaka
- 10 DD's
Shortland
2CL and 4 DD in TF
Lunga
- Kongo - disabled - 64% flotation damage
- Mogami - 33% system damage
- Tone - 29% system damage
in a TF
- Hiei
- Kirishima
- Takao
- Chokai
- Ashigara
- Kumano
- Kako
- Sendai
- Jintsu
- 5 DD's
- More to follow on troops and transport capacities...
Major Assets by location
Truk
- Yamato
- Nagato
- Mutsu
- Haruna (78% system Damage)
- Shokaku (45%)
- Zuikaku (45%)
- Akagi (45%)
- Ryujo (32%)
- Unyo - CVE
- Myoko
- Haguro
- Mikuma
- Suzuya
- 5 CL's
Rabaul
- Kaga
- HIryu
- Zuiho
- Shoho
- Maya
- Nachi
- Kinugasa
- Furutaka
- 10 DD's
Shortland
2CL and 4 DD in TF
Lunga
- Kongo - disabled - 64% flotation damage
- Mogami - 33% system damage
- Tone - 29% system damage
in a TF
- Hiei
- Kirishima
- Takao
- Chokai
- Ashigara
- Kumano
- Kako
- Sendai
- Jintsu
- 5 DD's
- More to follow on troops and transport capacities...
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
LCU Dispositions
Truk
1 Small division (38th) and 1 large Brigage (35th)
Total of 5 Reg'ts of infantry plus support troops
Load Cost approximately 55 000 tons
Rabaul
Miscellaneous garrison and SNLF units
about 1 Reg't's worth
Load Cost 5000 tons
Shortland
1 small division (-) (2nd)
2 Reg't and support
Load cost approx 20 000 tons
Lunga
1 Reg't and support
Load cost approx 12 00 tons
Available transports
75 - 80 AP class (avg 2000 tons)
5 APD clas (250)
So my estimate of transport strength was way light but my estimate of LCU strength was a bit heavy.
The upshot is that we have enougth lift capacity but we might be cutting it fine in combat power to take Lunga - we can basically muster the equivalent of 2 divsions (maybe) to attack a div (+). Them's not good odds.
hmmm...
Truk
1 Small division (38th) and 1 large Brigage (35th)
Total of 5 Reg'ts of infantry plus support troops
Load Cost approximately 55 000 tons
Rabaul
Miscellaneous garrison and SNLF units
about 1 Reg't's worth
Load Cost 5000 tons
Shortland
1 small division (-) (2nd)
2 Reg't and support
Load cost approx 20 000 tons
Lunga
1 Reg't and support
Load cost approx 12 00 tons
Available transports
75 - 80 AP class (avg 2000 tons)
5 APD clas (250)
So my estimate of transport strength was way light but my estimate of LCU strength was a bit heavy.
The upshot is that we have enougth lift capacity but we might be cutting it fine in combat power to take Lunga - we can basically muster the equivalent of 2 divsions (maybe) to attack a div (+). Them's not good odds.
hmmm...
Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"
- James Keelaghan

