VH values in generated maps

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Mike Rothery
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

VH values in generated maps

Post by Mike Rothery »

When using computer generated random maps, what are the range of VH vales you get? Does the computer use only end-of-battle values, or does it ever use points-per-turn?

The normal values seem to be 50 or 100 point end-of-battle VHs...anyone seem anything different?
MikeR
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

Post by Charles2222 »

There's plenty of times when you get points-per-turn, though I am a little disappointed that the system is capable of awarding points for units advancing off the map, and that I've never seen that being the case in campaigns.
El_Peco
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Milan, Italy

Post by El_Peco »

I got also point per turn, batween a range of 10 to 30 points per turn.
For the end of battle VHs I got values from 30 to 200.

Regards.
Svennemir
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Svennemir »

I've seen 5 per turn to 30 per turn,
and (I think)
10 points at end of battle (or was it 20) to 250.

These values are way too small in my opinion, making objectives secondary to kills. This also causes the many draws experienced in e.g. PBEM meeting engagements.

Either objective point values should be increased, or the impact of losses on score should be decreased.... I think. Who agrees?
WhiteRook
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:03 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Post by WhiteRook »

The answers you have received so far are pretty indictive of how the game handles it.
The thing you have to remember here is that the game is Never going to Match a Human created map and or scenario.
A well balanced map/scenario is just that a "balancing act" that the human designer has to dance around till the designer gets it right! :)
I have been designing scenarios and maps for every version of SP for several years now and I still continue to say that the balancing of the Victory Point Hexes is the key to any scenario turning out good and still the hardest part of the whole process.
Just my input for this can of worms! :D
Mike Rothery
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Canberra, Australia

Post by Mike Rothery »

It may help if I explain why I am asking.

Last year in the Combat Command leagues, we had a small number of players registering huge scores. The sort of scores you would have to play 15-20,000 point games to get. It occured to me that what was happening was that some folks were using maps with high per-turn VHs. And were thus pulling in scores over the 20,000 point mark when playing relatively small, quick games.

I set an arbitary max point limit of 15,000 for the last league, but had one player report a legitimate score just over this.

What I am considering is limiting the max values for VH's, and wanted to hear of your experiences so that I set a limit just above that normally encountered in generated maps.
MikeR
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

FOr competitive purposes I would use pre-designed maps with the V-hexes assigned by a human.

Also note that in a scenario you can ust the "V+" button to scale the ratio between the v-hexes and the units.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”